Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion - high price

Living in NE Scotland and knowing much of my camping will be fields (dog agility comps) I went for DSG and 4Motion. Love it.
Ordering it again on my Kombi.
Agree, depends on where you are based. We are also in Aberdeen and only wanted 4Motion and like the power of the engine too. Occasionally when trying to nip onto a roundabout I have seen my wheels spin briefly. But I do have a heavy right foot.... £20 seems to be a going rate for getting towed out of a field by a farmer - been there, done that in an Audi RS4.:embarrased

I bought our T6 DSG 4Motion when I lived in the Yorkshire Dales. It drove better in the snow (albeit with winter tyres) than my other vehicle... A Landrover Defender.
I’ve driven it in the Alps in winter and summer. Some roads have been steep and looked liked spaghetti on my satnav but I’ve never had an issue of traction.

I’m getting 35mpg out of it on a trip to France this year (4 of us and 4 full size mountain bikes).

downsides...

You can’t spec a fifth seat (oops no mother in law .... not really a downside)

It’s heavier = lower load potential.

It gets though brake pads if you like mountain trips (add Dolomites and Pyrenees to the already mentioned Alps).

Hopefully the van will be with us until it’s a retro classic... if not ... I’ll be buying another 4Motion if we change vans

Very interesting replies, thanks all. We’re hiring a 6.1 Cali later this month. It’s the 150bhp. Having had fairly nippy cars for years, the published 0-60 time of 14.3 seconds for the 150 has already got us saying “no way”!! So we’ve already decided on the 199bhp without having driven either! So on that basis and the comments on hereI’m now thinking 4WD is going to be a good option after all.
I like the point that was made that says have you heard anyone who regrets getting 4WD? Nope. Enough said really.
Oh well, it’s only money, you can’t take it with you and you only live once and all that.....

We also spend a lot of time at our second home of Snowdonia and we have friends in Switzerland, plus we will prefer quieter campsites or wild camping, and Norway is on our to do list, so we really should tick the box. Is the Diff Lock essential then too?

We also spend a lot of time at our second home of Snowdonia and we have friends in Switzerland, plus we will prefer quieter campsites or wild camping, and Norway is on our to do list, so we really should tick the box. Is the Diff Lock essential then too?
The diff lock costs almost nothing in comparison to the ticking the 4Motion box. The best thing about it in my opinion is: 4Motion can get you into trouble and the diff lock will normally get you out. Without selectable 4WD or a low ratio box, it really makes a difference if you get stuck. You’ll hardly ever need it, but when you do, it’ll be there. I’d get it.

Let me save you some money, we have 4motion an have done some terrain and snow driving. Never seemed to need the manual diff, the hill decent control is pointless.
Get 4motion if you need but skip the other two is my recommendation.

It's a lot of cash but worth it for the piece of mind when going off tarmac. I had a converted T5 beforehand and got stuck in muddy parking fields a number of times. There was always apprehension and extra caution and subsequently stress mostly from my wife concerned we'd be stuck. Not had that with the 4motion. So it adds a carefree element which is in keeping with the spirit of the California!

It's a lot of cash but worth it for the piece of mind when going off tarmac. I had a converted T5 beforehand and got stuck in muddy parking fields a number of times. There was always apprehension and extra caution and subsequently stress mostly from my wife concerned we'd be stuck. Not had that with the 4motion. So it adds a carefree element which is in keeping with the spirit of the California!
You've put your finger on it. We mostly wild camp. If the ideal parking spot is a little bit tricky to access, it removes that apprehension of possibly getting stuck. So helping to add to a carefree Cali life.
But as California4×4 said, "4Motion can get you into trouble, a diff lock will usually get you out"
I will confess that in the last 3 years we've never had to use the diff lock. Then again, I would never of attempted to park in some of the places that I did, without having the backup of a diff lock.

6k on the clock, very careful driver

I have 2WD and don’t let it limit where I go. I have been to Nordkapp in mid winter and down many muddy forestry tracks etc, with the right tyres it’s very capable.
Through experience I also now have some Max Tracks recovery boards, two Tow ropes, and I intend to buy a hand winch next, as I do get stuck sometimes.
4x4 would be nice but I have managed ok without it, it was never available as an option on the Tsi. A bigger limitation for me is the ground clearance of the van.

The first time not having 4Mo has actually stopped me was last week, in the Italian Alps. Mrs VD vetoed my intent to do the Colle dell'Assietta route from Sestriere, on the grounds that we weren't in a "suitable vehicle".

But hey ho, at least that's the purchase authorisation for our next Cali to have 4-Mo, LSD, raised springs and AT tyres. We won't be able to get under the height barriers at the supermarket, but sacrifices have to be made somewhere...

I have 2WD and don’t let it limit where I go. I have been to Nordkapp in mid winter and down many muddy forestry tracks etc, with the right tyres it’s very capable.
Through experience I also now have some Max Tracks recovery boards, two Tow ropes, and I intend to buy a hand winch next, as I do get stuck sometimes.
4x4 would be nice but I have managed ok without it, it was never available as an option on the Tsi. A bigger limitation for me is the ground clearance of the van.
This does sound adventurous. Can you share some photos of your setup please? Where are you keeping the recovery gear? I find it’s often not the storing prior to the recovery that’s the issue but after when you, the van and everything you have used is caked in mud.

This does sound adventurous. Can you share some photos of your setup please? Where are you keeping the recovery gear? I find it’s often not the storing prior to the recovery that’s the issue but after when you, the van and everything you have used is caked in mud.
I just keep the rear tow ball and front recovery tow pin in all the time.
I have a 5 tonne long tow rope with loops and a shorter one with hooks.
I store the Max Trax minis in the wardrobe in plastic bags.
I have Nokian Hakkapeliita winter tyres, on the driven wheels, in winter, which are amazing.
I also have Volkswagen assist on speed dial.

E45E338E-3F8E-414C-80C0-337479FA7D31.jpeg57AF5E2D-6E61-4B0E-8A0D-72B73345C174.jpegBE275004-ACAC-4DDF-8CD6-AFFBF0229B94.jpeg7C2C6B73-F6E9-4869-BC2B-DD26BB9E3101.jpeg7C475D47-E98A-4C01-BC89-69D64009C259.jpegA7EA0067-DB74-48BD-BC1D-D4329BE4154B.jpegEB23736D-1E68-4AD7-AE35-BAD5D3AD40EE.jpeg

One of the benefits of not have 4 motion is that there is space to fit an underslung LPG tank where 4 motion differential would be. I have this installation booked in soon, to avoid the Campingaz racket.

9687C447-9E55-4064-B025-817C56518601.jpeg

I have Nokian Hakkapeliita winter tyres, on the driven wheels, in winter, which are amazing.

View attachment 64035View attachment 64036View attachment 64037View attachment 64038View attachment 64039View attachment 64040View attachment 64041
Were you delivering Marmite to Norway. An ex colleagues is often requesting it be brought over for her...

One of the benefits of not have 4 motion is that there is space to fit an underslung LPG tank where 4 motion differential would be. I have this installation booked in soon, to avoid the Campingaz racket.

View attachment 64042

Pleased to hear that you are getting an LPG tank fitted. What capacity?
I am sure that it will make your travels a lot easier without continually having to source your next (expensive) 907.

View attachment 64035View attachment 64036View attachment 64037View attachment 64038View attachment 64039View attachment 64040View attachment 64041
Great stuff.

Were you delivering Marmite to Norway. An ex colleagues is often requesting it be brought over for her...
I really missed it. It was in my mind lots. The only place I have found it abroad so far is Morrison’s Gibraltar.

Pleased to hear that you are getting an LPG tank fitted. What capacity?
I am sure that it will make your travels a lot easier without continually having to source your next (expensive) 907.
It’s 15l water capacity, I think it holds 12l of gas. After paying up to £50 for refills and driving hundreds of miles to find campingaz in some countries the LPG tank should pay for itself quite quickly.

It’s 15l water capacity, I think it holds 12l of gas. After paying up to £50 for refills and driving hundreds of miles to find campingaz in some countries the LPG tank should pay for itself quite quickly.

If I were starting again, an LPG tank would be very high on my "must have" list.

4WD is OK but its the clearance of the chassis that gets you stuck, you really need air suspension that lifts the chassis up since fitting on mine 4WD with diff lock it hardly ever gets caught. Unfortunately, you are looking at another 4k on top.

4WD is OK but its the clearance of the chassis that gets you stuck, you really need air suspension that lifts the chassis up since fitting on mine 4WD with diff lock it hardly ever gets caught. Unfortunately, you are looking at another 4k on top.
I’m not sure he’ll thank you for throwing that one in there ;)

You can get a Seikel lift kit for around £1200. This gives an extra 30mm.

Back