Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Payload of 2021 4Motion 6.1 Ocean

Seems to have evolved over time. 6.1 all have higher front axle rating than rear. Not sure why but with fully laden bike carriers etc. hanging off the aft end it’s certainly something that should be considered. I would c+p the relevant detail but my technical ability doesn’t allow; it’s all listed in the brochure.

Seems to have evolved over time. 6.1 all have higher front axle rating than rear. Not sure why but with fully laden bike carriers etc. hanging off the aft end it’s certainly something that should be considered. I would c+p the relevant detail but my technical ability doesn’t allow; it’s all listed in the brochure.
Just info.
My T6 DSG 4M is 1,620KGS Front & 1,575KGS Rear.

3,080kgs Grosse rating which basically means that you cannot load both axles to the maximum and be legal. Would need a triple point weight check to be certain, ie front axle, both axles and then rear axle. That's how DVSA do it if pulled for a check, any one test figure over is a potential fine and prohibition until rectified.

Last edited:
Seems strange, referring to the table above. The rear axle is the same across the range yet the 4Motion has rear drive shafts, rear diff and Haldex coupling towards or on the rear axle.

Thank you chaps for all your technical info, but all I really want to know is carrying 40 L of water in the back of a T 6.1 4motion, OK. What do you think?

Thank you chaps for all your technical info, but all I really want to know is carrying 40 L of water in the back of a T 6.1 4motion, OK. What do you think?
OK.

Thanks for your advise WelshGas, your like the forum's version of Wikkapedia. Do l remember you offering advice to a member years ago, on buying an electric drill?

Thanks for your advise WelshGas, your like the forum's version of Wikkapedia. Do l remember you offering advice to a member years ago, on buying an electric drill?
No idea, sorry.

Following @LucyYorkshire discovery of an underweight van, I also took a trip via the local weighbridge a couple of days ago to get an accurate baseline before loading the van up. Also came in 60kg under the expected in service weight, which is really good news. Of the measured total of 2700kg (2709kg in service weight, should have measured 2760kg with the slightly(!) heavier than 75kg driver, gas cylinder, full fuel and a few other bits such as carpets, seat covers etc. that were in the van allowed for), 1500kg was on the front axle and 1200kg on the rear.
Which means that pretty much all of the available additional payload (375 of 380kg (440kg total payload) can go on the rear without causing issues (1575kg limit); good to know.

Following @LucyYorkshire discovery of an underweight van, I also took a trip via the local weighbridge a couple of days ago to get an accurate baseline before loading the van up. Also came in 60kg under the expected in service weight, which is really good news. Of the measured total of 2700kg (2709kg in service weight, should have measured 2760kg with the slightly(!) heavier than 75kg driver, gas cylinder, full fuel and a few other bits such as carpets, seat covers etc. that were in the van allowed for), 1500kg was on the front axle and 1200kg on the rear.
Which means that pretty much all of the available additional payload (375 of 380kg (440kg total payload) can go on the rear without causing issues (1575kg limit); good to know.
Just remember that the load on the rear must be balanced/centralised on the rear axle. All on the rear behind the seat will have a the effect of lifting the front and transferring more weight onto the rear axle.
Rear bike racks and towbar mounted racks will contribute to this more than may be accounted for.
Trailer or caravan nose weight is easily forgotten in any loading process.

Good to see real life weight info.

1500kg was on the front axle and 1200kg on the rear.
I think you are danger of running out of capacity on the front axle.
You only have 100kg to play with, your front passenger will take up a large chunk of that, anything that goes on or under the rear bench will contribute something towards the front as it’s in front of the rear axle. Don’t forget the contents of the under sink cupboards, and you would be wise to keep the waste water tank empty as that could be an extra 30kg up front.

You can see why a 5th seat wouldn’t be a good idea.

Don’t think I’ll mention to Mrs KB that she risks over loading the axle, may not be healthy. Or that I need to hang a few bikes off the back end to counter balance her weight!
Loads of factors will affect where the c of g sits between the axles, far too complex to work out. Anything up front will move it fwd a bit, anything down back will have the opposite affect, but you are right that you wouldn’t want all the weight up front or down back. The extra 60kg available overall will be really handy in that it means we won’t be right up against the limit all the time, I think we’ll be fine.

Don’t think I’ll mention to Mrs KB that she risks over loading the axle, may not be healthy.

Wise move!

Or that I need to hang a few bikes off the back end to counter balance her weight!

Even the far end of the bike rack, when lowered is relatively close to the rear axle compared to the distance the front axle is from the rear - about 1.5m V 3.4m

If Z is the decrease in front axle load and a bike is 15Kg the calculation would be 1.5x15kg = 3.4xZkg = 6.6kg

The weight you have "lost" off the front axle also has to go somewhere as the bike still weighs 15kg, in this case it gets added to the back axle - in round terms that 15kg bike stuck right at the back of the rack adds 22kg to the rear axle load.

Wise move!

Even the far end of the bike rack, when lowered is relatively close to the rear axle compared to the distance the front axle is from the rear - about 1.5m V 3.4m

If Z is the decrease in front axle load and a bike is 15Kg the calculation would be 1.5x15kg = 3.4xZkg = 6.6kg

The weight you have "lost" off the front axle also has to go somewhere as the bike still weighs 15kg, in this case it gets added to the back axle - in round terms that 15kg bike stuck right at the back of the rack adds 22kg to the rear axle load.
you are trying to say that fat guys need electric bikes at the back to balance the axles!

Jokes apart, good to know that almost all the available payload can be placed at the back, which was my worry especially considering the sagging.
Now need to work out how lighter a 150ps is than a 204 and if it's fair to assume the difference in weight is all on the front axle.

you are trying to say that fat guys need electric bikes at the back to balance the axles!

Jokes apart, good to know that almost all the available payload can be placed at the back, which was my worry especially considering the sagging.
Now need to work out how lighter a 150ps is than a 204 and if it's fair to assume the difference in weight is all on the front axle.
If it is “ sagging” then Overloaded. Otherwise it is an Optical Illusion.:headbang:headbang:headbang

Don't forget the weighed van was a 4motion
In the current UK brochure the max axle weights for 150/204/2044mo are all the same - all running the 17" chassis

The difference between a 2wd 204 and 150 Ocean unladen is 2571kg v 2593kg so the engine appears to only make 22kg difference, I cant think of anything other than the engine that is different on a UK spec van between the two models. (possibly the exhaust?)

If it is “ sagging” then Overloaded. Otherwise it is an Optical Illusion.:headbang:headbang:headbang
correct. the optical illusion gives the impression of being overloaded at the back even if it isn't. It is reassuring that this is now also backed by weight measurements.

Don't forget the weighed van was a 4motion
In the current UK brochure the max axle weights for 150/204/2044mo are all the same - all running the 17" chassis

The difference between a 2wd 204 and 150 Ocean unladen is 2571kg v 2593kg so the engine appears to only make 22kg difference, I cant think of anything other than the engine that is different on a UK spec van between the two models. (possibly the exhaust?)
26kg difference between 150 4M DSG and 204 4M DSG in the german configurator... very likely all at the front

This bit of information is very important , at least to me.
Would you be so kind and explain exactly what you had loaded at the back?
Did you only have a 907 gas cylinder that already weight 6-7kg?
1) Does your van has a towing hitch ?
2) Do you have a spare wheel+bracket?
3) Do you have a wind-out awning?

Thanks!

This bit of information is very important , at least to me.
Would you be so kind and explain exactly what you had loaded at the back?
Did you only have a 907 gas cylinder that already weight 6-7kg?
1) Does your van has a towing hitch ?
2) Do you have a spare wheel+bracket?
3) Do you have a wind-out awning?

Thanks!
Sure @Calimili:
1/2 full 907 cylinder weighed at 5kg.
Yes it has a tow bar (ball detached, in with the jack)
No spare wheel or bracket fitted, 18 inch wheels.
Yes factory fitted awning.
Both fresh and waste water tanks empty.
80ltr fuel tank, full.
Remember that it’s an RDE2 T6.1 so 27ltr adblue tank, also full (vice 13ltr on T6).
Standard rear shelf mattress, not comfort mattress.
No bike rack fitted.
Other than that it had me in the drivers seat (100kg), carpets/mats and seat covers fitted (combined 15kg). Everything else as it arrived from the factory (chairs in boot etc.).
Hope that helps.

Sure @Calimili:
1/2 full 907 cylinder weighed at 5kg.
Yes it has a tow bar (ball detached, in with the jack)
No spare wheel or bracket fitted, 18 inch wheels.
Yes factory fitted awning.
Both fresh and waste water tanks empty.
80ltr fuel tank, full.
Remember that it’s an RDE2 T6.1 so 27ltr adblue tank, also full (vice 13ltr on T6).
Standard rear shelf mattress, not comfort mattress.
No bike rack fitted.
Other than that it had me in the drivers seat (100kg), carpets/mats and seat covers fitted (combined 15kg). Everything else as it arrived from the factory (chairs in boot etc.).
Hope that helps.
That helps massively, thank you!
Now I can approximate my rear axle weight by adding ((conservatively):
spare 17"steel wheel+ bracket: +30kg
907 used gas (to full) +1.4kg
and subtracting (approx. /conservatively):
add blue 4kg
rear 2x18" wheels instead of 17" : 2.5kg
carpet+ seat covers (impact on rear axle only) : 3.5kg
Total: 1200+31.4-10= 1221.4. let's say 1225. I was working on a basis of 1300, so I now I believe I have another 75kg to play with. Perfect for a box on the tow hitch.

I'd like to share and update again on this topic.
I went yesterday to get my Cali weighted, free service for ADAC (=german AA) members. Unfortunately they wouldn't give me the axle values, just the total weight.
2760Kg including some items in the kitchen and boot that I have all weighted individually and listed.
The actual empty weight, with just 72KG driver and 90% full diesel tank, all other tanks empty , van empty, works out at 2683. According to the Coc it should be 2686, so it's pretty spot on.
T6 150ps 4M DSG Ocean with tow hitch, spare wheel and awning, HD ARB, 215" -17" tires on Devonport.

With all the gear for a long holiday, 2 people, I am within the 3080 kg, but not much to spare. Need to improve further on my weight optimisation.

3080kg is the limit to stay within VW specification. 3050kg is the limit to stay within to avoid reduced speed limits.

3080kg is the limit to stay within VW specification. 3050kg is the limit to stay within to avoid reduced speed limits.
The 3050 for speed limits is for an empty van, so no worries with a cali.

Hi all from Switzerland,

Scanning through a California goodies brochure given me by the local AMAG dealer, I noticed an item "Increasing the load capacity/all up weight VW T6 California (all models)". I'll check if this is still relevant to 6.1. Translation from German:

"Advantages
  • Increase in all up weight to 3340kg
  • Increase in load capacity of approx. 260kg
  • Improved stability and traction
  • Vehicle height stays the same, the (coil) springs compress less under load
  • No strengthened wheels required, because VW original wheels are adequate
  • The vehicle no longer sags at the rear"

In Switzerland the change includes the necessary documentation to change the registration document to the new weight. I understand this uses standard VW parts so the warranty is not affected. I will probably have this done. They quote Swiss Francs 1'290.00, which is about £1'060.

Living near Zürich, I had a spare half hour when passing the entrance to our local friendly motorway police depot. I knew they have a weighbridge there that they use to nick overweight Romanian trucks. A quick chat and they weighed our Ocean 6.1.

It had most of the things in it we camp with, minus wine and grey water. Weighing was with driver included. It weighed 2’800 kg, which is not far from the max 3’080. Add passengers and bags, food, clothes and it starts to get close.

I am sure I ticked the box for “Increased maximum weight” and must check, but the reg says 3’080.
I’ve heard that especially the Italians are keen on weighing campers. The fines are high, and you have to dump stuff until you are legal before they’ll let you drive onwards.

Hi all from Switzerland,

Scanning through a California goodies brochure given me by the local AMAG dealer, I noticed an item "Increasing the load capacity/all up weight VW T6 California (all models)". I'll check if this is still relevant to 6.1. Translation from German:

"Advantages
  • Increase in all up weight to 3340kg
  • Increase in load capacity of approx. 260kg
  • Improved stability and traction
  • Vehicle height stays the same, the (coil) springs compress less under load
  • No strengthened wheels required, because VW original wheels are adequate
  • The vehicle no longer sags at the rear"

In Switzerland the change includes the necessary documentation to change the registration document to the new weight. I understand this uses standard VW parts so the warranty is not affected. I will probably have this done. They quote Swiss Francs 1'290.00, which is about £1'060.

Living near Zürich, I had a spare half hour when passing the entrance to our local friendly motorway police depot. I knew they have a weighbridge there that they use to nick overweight Romanian trucks. A quick chat and they weighed our Ocean 6.1.

It had most of the things in it we camp with, minus wine and grey water. Weighing was with driver included. It weighed 2’800 kg, which is not far from the max 3’080. Add passengers and bags, food, clothes and it starts to get close.

I am sure I ticked the box for “Increased maximum weight” and must check, but the reg says 3’080.
I’ve heard that especially the Italians are keen on weighing campers. The fines are high, and you have to dump stuff until you are legal before they’ll let you drive onwards.
I thought the max payload of vw ts is 3.2t, so not sure a cali can be higher.
My joker is built on 3.2t chassis

Back