Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Payload of 2021 4Motion 6.1 Ocean

Perhaps you’re over thinking things…
I personally would load the van. If it drives and stops without issue you’re good to go.
I seriously doubt you will over-load a 4M with the space available…

Perhaps you’re over thinking things…
I personally would load the van. If it drives and stops without issue you’re good to go.
I seriously doubt you will over-load a 4M with the space available…
easy:
Bike rack
15​
Portapotti 335 with 12L water
15​
Water in the 30L tank
30​
gas 907 bottle
6.5​
Miscellaneous in rear Wardrobe
4​
Tools for emergenciey repairs
6​
10% Diesel (90% already included)
8​
Second Passenger
70​
Spare Wheel
25​
Hook Up cable 20m
4​
Food in fridge
13​
Toys and games in underbench tray
5​
2 bikes
30​
Kitchen upper left (plastic crockery and 1 pot
5​
Kitchen lower left (Food)
8​
Kitchen upper right (Cutlery, crockery)
5​
Kitchen lower right (food+pans)
8​
Airplane drawer towels+hairdryer
3​
Clothes for 2 weeks 2 people inkl shoes
25​
Ecomat+carpet in driving cabin
3​
Isotop
2​
Bedding (2 sleeping bags+2 pillows)
5​
Extra table
6.1​
Electric stove
4.5​
Quechua Base Tent + Pump
14​
5mx2.5 outdoor carpet
6.875​
Carpet for Quechua Base 2.5x2.5
4.5​
Carpet in "living" room
2​
Side walls for wind out awning
3.5​
Front wall for wind out awning
2.2​
Moskito net
0.6​
Thule Hold Down
1.3​
Kajak + pdl
19​
Kajak lefe vest x2
2.55​
Small decathlon table
1.6​
One small stool Dechatlon
1​
Kick scooter x2
10​
Fiamma Level Up
3.2​
Extra Kit First Aid
1.4​
Beauty Case
4​
Inflatable water matress
2​
Fire extinguisher
1​
Aquakem for Portapotti
2​
Washing liquid
1​
Airman Compressor
0.5​
Extra outdoor toys
1​
Child Seat
7​
Waeco CDF26
12.5​
Gray Bucket with shoes etc
2​
Gas Herd for outside
2​
Drinking Water pipe
1​
Gray Water pipe
1​
small step stool
1​
Water/drinks in driving cabin for the journey
1.5​
beach towels
1.5​
canister 12L
0.6​
Extra pillows
2​
Total

This is just 2 people and no drinks loaded. I could carry space-wise more.

Actually I forgot the two neopren, the Samla boxes, the small gas cartridges, flash lights.... The more i look the more I find...

and I've forgotten: this is on 215 17" tyres. Bigger tyres would be yet more weight...

So in fact adding air suspension would lower the payload by whatever the weight of the air system was?

Its also worth noting that the two maximum axle weights for a 4 motion add up to a figure only slightly over the max gross weight for the vehicle.
This would suggest that its not just the total weight you have to be careful of its the distribution of the weight within the van to avoid overloading an individual axle.
Axle weights are critical. It is possible to be under the Grosse weight but be overloaded on the rear axle. This is also an offence and can & will lead to prosecution if caught.

@Calimili i think you have to many Rib-eye steaks in the fridge…;)

I find it very easy to overload my van, it has the 204 4 motion set up with dif lock, we are scuba divers and carry heavy kit and tow a 8.5 m rib with a couple of engins on the back, I have to balance the 2.5 tonne allowance to be towed with the load of the rest of the kit, so a lot of weighing has been done on a weigh bridge to get it right, we also often take another car to take some of the weight out of this setup, you cannot go over the maximum train weight, or each individual weight of the van or trailer.
When not towing I still have to be carful with weights, we checked it on one occasion to find it 300k over weight, the rear seat was fully back so the van looked empty ! 4 divers and kit is too much for these vans!

Bless you! Thank you for your reply. I’m so pleased you’ve done the spreadsheet exercise. I did this yesterday and scared myself rigid by weighing EVERYTHING that will go into the van and it is the little things that soon add up. We have also sourced our local weighbridge to check our weight once laden. We have made a mistake I think getting the 4motion because of the decreased payload with our situation but we are where we are and will try to ditch as much useless stuff as necessary. It is only because of our 3 hefty dogs and their paraphernalia and food that we are having the issue but they are very important to our free time and the reason we don’t jet off without them to exotic places! When we’re towing our eriba we’ll be able to distribute the weight between the 2 (or carry it all in the Eriba) but the plan is not to be towing most of the time.
I don’t want to go down the modification route re: payload- I thought it might be an administrative exercise but it sounds like it’s not.... Ho hum. I’ll have to find some lighter wine bottles! Thanks again for your advice.
Buy wine in boxes!

I wouldn't pick difflock. Heavy and I didn't use it in 5 years. Got stuck couple times and difflock hardly made any difference.

£800 ish on joker not sure what cali price is, people spend more for plastic chrome stuff

When I had VB it stated that NO INCREASE in GROSSE WEIGHT can be added.
It was also stated on their website 3/4 years ago but can't find that detailed info now.

Might now be changed but wheels & tyres would have to be suited to the increase as well as having it replated (chassis plate) and insurance advised.
I was looking through the air suspension threads the other week, and one of the Dutch members (@dvdbob, I think) has had their gross vehicle weight increased after the instal of VB air. That was authorised and ticketed by the Dutch certification agency and seemed quite straightforward.

I had an hour to spare so waded through the UK equivalent which seems to be individual vehicle approval - IVA. It is all detailed in this manual (316 pages):

https://assets.publishing.service.g...oval-inspection-manual-passenger-vehicles.pdf

Section 44 is where it’s described.

The TLDR version: it seems it can be done, but it would be very tricky as a person presenting an air California would need to present ‘evidence’ that it can stand the extra plated weight. That would mean getting some paperwork from the air suspension manufacture of your choice I think. And then persuading the inspector at your local IVA centre that it was adequate.

I was looking through the air suspension threads the other week, and one of the Dutch members (@dvdbob, I think) has had their gross vehicle weight increased after the instal of VB air. That was authorised and ticketed by the Dutch certification agency and seemed quite straightforward.

I had an hour to spare so waded through the UK equivalent which seems to be individual vehicle approval - IVA. It is all detailed in this manual (316 pages):

https://assets.publishing.service.g...oval-inspection-manual-passenger-vehicles.pdf

The TLDR version: it seems it can be done, but it would be very tricky as a person presenting an air California would need to present ‘evidence’ that it can stand the extra plated weight. That would mean getting some paperwork from the air suspension manufacture of your choice I think. And then persuading the inspector at your local IVA centre that it was adequate.
In Germany, and I think any country, the process is similar: when a vehicle is modified someone has to prove that the vehicle is safe for the specs required, in this case increase of GVW. Such test is usually quite expensive, a couple of grand I think. Then there are parts that come with a certificate where the manufacturer has already had the part tested with a specific vehicle (or a number of vehicles), and for the registration with the new specs such certificate is accepted and the vehicle can be issued with new papers with the updated specs.
The question is whether the certificate issued by a foreign company , would be accepted in the UK...

I believe SVTech do up-plating of vans and motorhomes. From what I understand they do the technical stuff and get the paperwork approved and submitted to DVLA. Not cheap.

Hi all, just thought I’d update anyone who was following this thread. I really appreciated everyone’s thoughts/advice but I couldn’t really do anything until I picked up my 4Motion and visited a weigh-bridge. So, I worked out that the vehicle I had ordered with the spec I chose should weigh 2740kg with a 70kg passenger and 90% fuel but was always worried as I had been told that any manufacturer is allowed a 5% leeway on the total weight of the vehicle which would have eaten into my payload. Picked it up yesterday (already in love!) and visited the weigh-bridge with a full tank of fuel and including me it weighs 2680kg so 60kg less than expected which is all I needed to be absolutely sure I’ll never be over the weight limit. Phew! Perhaps I was just over thinking it and getting pre-delivery nerves but I’m happy and thanks again to everyone for their advice and comments.

Last edited:
Hi all, just thought I’d update anyone who was following this thread. I really appreciated everyone’s thoughts/advice but I couldn’t really do anything until I picked up my 4Motion and visited a weigh-bridge. So, I worked out that the vehicle I had ordered with the spec I chose should weigh 2740kg with a 70kg passenger and 90% fuel but was always worried as I had been told that any manufacturer is allowed a 5% leeway on the total weight of the vehicle which would have eaten into my payload. Picked it up yesterday (already in love!) and visited the weigh-bridge with a full tank of fuel and including me it weighs 2680kg so 60kg less than expected which is all I needed to be absolutely sure I’ll never be over the weight limit. Phew! Perhaps I was just over thinking it and getting pre-delivery nerves but I’m happy and thanks again to everyone for their advice and comments.
Great news, thanks for the update - ours is on order so very interested!

Will you be going back once fully loaded?

Will you be going back once fully loaded?
Definitely. But I have weighed pretty much everything I would like to take with me and I’ll be underweight for sure. I’m not taking heavy awnings, bike racks etc etc. I may even slip an extra bottle or 2 of wine in now!

Definitely. But I have weighed pretty much everything I would like to take with me and I’ll be underweight for sure. I’m not taking heavy awnings, bike racks etc etc. I may even slip an extra bottle or 2 of wine in now!
Enjoy!

Bit of semi useless info unless anyone with 18" wheels with no spare is wondering.

17" alloy wheel with 235/55 tyre weighs in at circa 27kgs. Not counting the carrier rack.

As we mainly wild camp, we start off with a full water tank, plus an extra 10 L container of water. So I have just checked up on Wikipedia, I now know that 1 L of water weighs exactly 1kg. The possible problem is that all this water is carried behind the rear axle, so possibly giving an axle loading problem. Over to you WelshGas!

As we mainly wild camp, we start off with a full water tank, plus an extra 10 L container of water. So I have just checked up on Wikipedia, I now know that 1 L of water weighs exactly 1kg. The possible problem is that all this water is carried behind the rear axle, so possibly giving an axle loading problem. Over to you WelshGas!
Seeing as the Rear Axle has a higher rating than the front I wouldn’t have thought it would make much difference. After all the very heavy bench seat is forward of the rear axle, and if you are really concerned then slide the bench seat forward to balance the load.
We are 2, Towbar rack with 2 bikes, No drive away awning and when fully loaded, including water and fuel, we’re well within the MGW and axle limits. Can’t remember the exact results but I remember thinking there was a lot of room for wine.

Seeing as the Rear Axle has a higher rating than the front I wouldn’t have thought it would make much difference. After all the very heavy bench seat is forward of the rear axle, and if you are really concerned then slide the bench seat forward to balance the load.
We are 2, Towbar rack with 2 bikes, No drive away awning and when fully loaded, including water and fuel, we’re well within the MGW and axle limits. Can’t remember the exact results but I remember thinking there was a lot of room for wine.
Other way round. Front axle 1620kg, rear 1575kg.

Other way round. Front axle 1620kg, rear 1575kg.
You’re right. The VIN plates I viewed on the www, not necessarily a 4Motion, had higher rear compared with front. . Interesting. Must be due to the 4Motion. My mistake,

Yes it varies across the range with the 4Motion having higher front than rear.
Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 23.01.07.jpg

Last edited:
Back