SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
4MOTION DIFF LOCK

We're about to order a new T6 4motion having previously had a T5 4motion, but as the diff lock failed to engage and led to a warranty issues during our ownership, before finalizing our spec I'm considering the options that are available to us,

1 T6 4motion now comes with electronic diff lock as standard (but it was the electronics that failed on T5)

2 Option 1Y4 is apparently a mechanical diff lock available at a cost of £575.

Does anyone have any experience of the pros and cons of the two different types of diff lock?

The electronic Diff Lock is similar to the system fitted to Range Rovers, Discovery, Freelander etc.
Don't kid yourself that the mechanical Diff Lock is any more reliable . My Defender had a mechanical diff lock. Managed to blow a hole in the transfer box. No warning lights that it was engaged just a big bang. The electronic version is pretty reliable and you were just unlucky. Not a problem that rears its head very often, in fact yours is the first I have heard of on a VW 4Motion.
The mechanical might be useful if you do " Serious " off roading but then the California doesn't really have the ground clearance for that.
However it is your decision in the end.:thumb

4MOTION DIFF LOCK

We're about to order a new T6 4motion having previously had a T5 4motion, but as the diff lock failed to engage and led to a warranty issues during our ownership, before finalizing our spec I'm considering the options that are available to us,

1 T6 4motion now comes with electronic diff lock as standard (but it was the electronics that failed on T5)

2 Option 1Y4 is apparently a mechanical diff lock available at a cost of £575.

Does anyone have any experience of the pros and cons of the two different types of diff lock?

SusiBus,

I am being charged £575 for the Electronic Diff Lock as an option, NOT the Mechanical Diff Lock. Are you sure that the Electronic Diff Lock is standard on 4Motions? I was told by my dealer that it is not standard. Also, was told that the Mechanical Diff Lock is not available on the California (despite seeing a reference to it in the German Brochure. The answer given to me on that one was that it is for Caravelles/Transporters only. Maybe a VW cut n' paste mistake there possibly...)
Please double check. If you are right, then it would seem that I'm being somewhat fleeced by my dealer to the tune of £575. Others too surely.

A shot in the dark here but the only other thing I can think of is that I have specced DSG. Could he have meant that Electronic Diff lock with DSG 4Motions but didn't check if the Mechanical Diff Lock goes with manual box 4Motions - I don't know.
Either way - interesting...

On the T5 electronic Diff was always standard.

Originally the mechanical rear diff lock was standard as well but then became an option that had to be paid for (I'm not sure what year this changed).

I have a international brochure from 2014 and have copied and pasted the extract below from it...

upload_2015-10-27_10-55-21.png

On the T5 electronic Diff was always standard.

Originally the mechanical rear diff lock was standard as well but then became an option that had to be paid for (I'm not sure what year this changed).

I have a international brochure from 2014 and have copied and pasted the extract below from it...

View attachment 10604

Cheers Mark
Comments appreciated

I ordered my T6 Ocean with mechanical rear diff lock. In Germany.

It is maybe a question of country specific configurator.

I can see no reason, why Calis for UK don't have the option for mech. diff.

Ciao

Uwe

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I ordered my T6 Ocean with mechanical rear diff lock. In Germany.

It is maybe a question of country specific configurator.

I can see no reason, why Calis for UK don't have the option for mech. diff.

Ciao

Uwe

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Appreciate your input Uwe.

Factual information seems to vary between dealers, so the UK brochure can't come soon enough...

Danke

I would avoid the glossy brochure (has know to be inaccurate) and ask a VW dealer for the pricing spreadsheet which includes the option codes and pricing as this links directly into VW's configurator.

upload_2015-10-27_12-35-40.png

I would avoid the glossy brochure (has know to be inaccurate) and ask a VW dealer for the pricing spreadsheet which includes the option codes and pricing as this links directly into VW's configurator.

View attachment 10605

Thanks again Mark. Helpful.

I'm now starting to wonder if those who are waiting for the dust to settle
first, before ordering, just might be right.

The electronic Diff Lock is similar to the system fitted to Range Rovers, Discovery, Freelander etc.
Don't kid yourself that the mechanical Diff Lock is any more reliable . My Defender had a mechanical diff lock. Managed to blow a hole in the transfer box. No warning lights that it was engaged just a big bang. The electronic version is pretty reliable and you were just unlucky. Not a problem that rears its head very often, in fact yours is the first I have heard of on a VW 4Motion.
The mechanical might be useful if you do " Serious " off roading but then the California doesn't really have the ground clearance for that.
However it is your decision in the end.:thumb

uskoel

Thanks for the video, great, it just shows how useful the 4motion is to get you out of that difficult situation, infact why would anyone buy anything other than a 4motion? Oh yeah,perhaps the price but what an awesome bit of kit!

WelshGas

Thanks for your very informative post, electronic it is then!

Tommy Gun

I would contact your dealer as soon as possible because if he has entered in the VW configurator diff lock option 1Y4, I suspect you have paid for, and will get a mechanical diff lock costing you £575. If you only wanted an electronic diff lock, which is standard on the 4 motion as a no cost option, you may be stuck with the mechanical option, something for you possibly to discuss with your dealer at a later date, because I suspect you have been misled.

uskoel

Thanks for the video, great, it just shows how useful the 4motion is to get you out of that difficult situation, infact why would anyone buy anything other than a 4motion? Oh yeah,perhaps the price but what an awesome bit of kit!

WelshGas

Thanks for your very informative post, electronic it is then!

Tommy Gun

I would contact your dealer as soon as possible because if he has entered in the VW configurator diff lock option 1Y4, I suspect you have paid for, and will get a mechanical diff lock costing you £575. If you only wanted an electronic diff lock, which is standard on the 4 motion as a no cost option, you may be stuck with the mechanical option, something for you possibly to discuss with your dealer at a later date, because I suspect you have been misled.

Thanks SusiBus,
I'm going to drop them a mail & hopefully get this cleared up. Hopefully it's just an honest mistake that can be blamed on lack of information / clarity. The potential £575 off of the bill would be utterly welcome.
Owe you a pint.

The saga continues...,

Spoke to the dealer to try & get this cleared up. The latest I'm being told is that all T6 4Motions DO indeed come with an Electronic Diff-Lock, as kindly mentioned above. However... the dealer says there's no button with it. Ordering the Mechanical Diff-Lock gives you the button on the dashboard so that you have the choice, on or off. That is an expensive button.

First thought is that there's a rabbit away here...
How would it function without the button then? Does this mean that firstly,
  • it tries to send drive to the wheels with the most grip,
  • gives-up on shunting power/torque between all four corners or front/rear if vehicle doesn't move forward,
  • then locks the rear axle, hopes for the best until things improve, all without driver intervention?

The German Brochure clearly states 'Haldex' & not 'Torsen' Diff, so I won't go down that train of thought.

Sorry if this confuses further. I think I'm going to stick with the Mechanical Diff-Lock expensive button for now, just in case I end up disappointed...

If anyone has any any other info - please do share. I'm a big fan of 4x4 & want to get this right.

I am quite sure it is like this:
4-motion and fwd cars use the abs system to brake the spinning wheel. It has been like this on almost all VW cars equipped with esp the last years.
The option you can spec on a 4-motion car is a manual electronically engaged diff brake on the rear axle. It is the same offering on the Amarok which uses a Torsen between the axles.
If you have a 4-motion and you are doing much offroad where you have different traction on the rear axle it will most certainly make the brakes get warm after a while.

Are you planning to camp off-road or are you going mountaineering?

I ask this in all seriousness. In my Nuffield / LandRover Mountain rescue vehicle a Diff lock was essential.

In my rather genteel, geriatric ramblings around the snow-filled minor roads of a scottish winter, parked on an embryo rainforest swamp in Cornwall and clattering off-road in various desperate scenes scattered around the continent I have not once felt the need for diff lock. I have certainly felt the need for winter tyres, a 4WD is a be-thankful bonus but not a diff lock.

I simply ask because there is a tendency for "optional extra's" to be less optional and more necessity as discussion and debate deepen.

I am quite sure it is like this:
4-motion and fwd cars use the abs system to brake the spinning wheel. It has been like this on almost all VW cars equipped with esp the last years.
The option you can spec on a 4-motion car is a manual electronically engaged diff brake on the rear axle. It is the same offering on the Amarok which uses a Torsen between the axles.
If you have a 4-motion and you are doing much offroad where you have different traction on the rear axle it will most certainly make the brakes get warm after a while.

Kave,

Thanks for your comments. Really appreciated.

Fascinating! I always wondered what a diff lock was.
This I will squirrel away to amaze himself and the teenager.
I love the look of astonishmentI get when I understand this stuff!

Are you planning to camp off-road or are you going mountaineering?

I ask this in all seriousness. In my Nuffield / LandRover Mountain rescue vehicle a Diff lock was essential.

In my rather genteel, geriatric ramblings around the snow-filled minor roads of a scottish winter, parked on an embryo rainforest swamp in Cornwall and clattering off-road in various desperate scenes scattered around the continent I have not once felt the need for diff lock. I have certainly felt the need for winter tyres, a 4WD is a be-thankful bonus but not a diff lock.

I simply ask because there is a tendency for "optional extra's" to be less optional and more necessity as discussion and debate deepen.

Hello Jen, thanks for your comments.

No, I'm not planning on going mountaineering but there are a few reasons why I do want the Diff-Lock.

1. In order to help fund our new California, we need to let go of our beloved VW Touareg. Whilst the Cali
cannot compete with ground clearance, offroad ability etc - part of me wants to ensure that I have the best available 4x4 set-up on the Cali possible, to help offset the loss of the Touareg.

2. When I do come to sell the Cali, I might miss out on a buyer who wants a 4Motion with the Diff-Lock
(somebody like myself.) That would be a shame.

3. I'm all for wild camping. Campsite visits will be kept to a minimum really. I frequently visit, Skye, Wester Ross & other parts that can best be described as exposed. When doing so I often put the Touareg down some of the daft little tracks leading off from the roads deliberately, in order to find interesting future camping spots. Some of these locations could be described as a non-starter for Front Wheel Drive, but at the same time, within the Cali's ground clearance limitations. A standard 4Motion Cali should manage, but the Diff-Lock would be a nice back-up. I would point to Uskoeln's video above as a cracking example of how useful this could be. With a missus & 2 young children (one of disabled with special needs) in the van - I would utterly kick myself if I got stuck. The £575 Diff-Lock would suddenly seem a bargain if it could get us out of a situation. Yes, you could argue not to go down these paths in the first place - but this type of camping/experience is what appeals to us. The Cali's size allows this, which is great.

4. Your comments about winter tyres are bang-on. The difference is night & day compared to summer tyres. I've been using winter tyres since the bad winter of 2010. Lesson learned the hard way.
I did have a look at your website & I do appreciate that you have travelled through many parts of Scotland that appeal to me - I'm delighted that you paid us a visit, thanks for coming & please do come back soon. I will indeed keep an eye out for you & MacAlbert.
If I may, I'd like to point out (and with respect of course) is that in my experience, the weather conditions (in your pictures) looked reasonably decent compared to when the white stuff really hits the fan up here. Not every winter is bad of course. If you stick to decent-ish roads & drive responsibly, front wheel drive + winter boots should do the trick.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of Cali owners (but not all) are probably more sensible & careful about where they might take their vehicles compared to myself. I'm 36 - at times I'm subject to daft ideas & being slightly foolhardy. Being off of the grid in silly locations, in all seasons appeals to me. All in all, it just boils down to my own personal preference to suit my own circumstances.
A Diff-Lock it is!

Cheers for now

Prior to about 2013 all 4motions had the dash button diff lock as standard (I believe), then they started to charge. Our 2011 model has the button, but I don't think this is aa mechanical diff lock, just a manual electronic switch to activate instead of letting the system figure it out itself...... our 4x4 panda has the exact same option. So, my reason for posting to to ensure you know that there is NOT a mechanical diff lock on option, just an electric one with a manual switch.... Sorry if this is clear to you, but the thread seemed a bit ambiguous to me

cheers

Hello Jen, thanks for your comments.

No, I'm not planning on going mountaineering but there are a few reasons why I do want the Diff-Lock.

1. In order to help fund our new California, we need to let go of our beloved VW Touareg. Whilst the Cali
cannot compete with ground clearance, offroad ability etc - part of me wants to ensure that I have the best available 4x4 set-up on the Cali possible, to help offset the loss of the Touareg.

2. When I do come to sell the Cali, I might miss out on a buyer who wants a 4Motion with the Diff-Lock
(somebody like myself.) That would be a shame.

3. I'm all for wild camping. Campsite visits will be kept to a minimum really. I frequently visit, Skye, Wester Ross & other parts that can best be described as exposed. When doing so I often put the Touareg down some of the daft little tracks leading off from the roads deliberately, in order to find interesting future camping spots. Some of these locations could be described as a non-starter for Front Wheel Drive, but at the same time, within the Cali's ground clearance limitations. A standard 4Motion Cali should manage, but the Diff-Lock would be a nice back-up. I would point to Uskoeln's video above as a cracking example of how useful this could be. With a missus & 2 young children (one of disabled with special needs) in the van - I would utterly kick myself if I got stuck. The £575 Diff-Lock would suddenly seem a bargain if it could get us out of a situation. Yes, you could argue not to go down these paths in the first place - but this type of camping/experience is what appeals to us. The Cali's size allows this, which is great.

4. Your comments about winter tyres are bang-on. The difference is night & day compared to summer tyres. I've been using winter tyres since the bad winter of 2010. Lesson learned the hard way.
I did have a look at your website & I do appreciate that you have travelled through many parts of Scotland that appeal to me - I'm delighted that you paid us a visit, thanks for coming & please do come back soon. I will indeed keep an eye out for you & MacAlbert.
If I may, I'd like to point out (and with respect of course) is that in my experience, the weather conditions (in your pictures) looked reasonably decent compared to when the white stuff really hits the fan up here. Not every winter is bad of course. If you stick to decent-ish roads & drive responsibly, front wheel drive + winter boots should do the trick.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of Cali owners (but not all) are probably more sensible & careful about where they might take their vehicles compared to myself. I'm 36 - at times I'm subject to daft ideas & being slightly foolhardy. Being off of the grid in silly locations, in all seasons appeals to me. All in all, it just boils down to my own personal preference to suit my own circumstances.
A Diff-Lock it is!

Cheers for now

My comments were aimed generally, not specifically, but as one who started life off with every "must have" accessory in the book and for the last two years has been conducting a rolling Cali-boot sale to get rid of "must haves" I have a slightly jaundiced eye.

I can see where you are coming from. I let go of my X3 to get Albert and having clattered 4WD's over most mountain ranges of the world the thought of not having a 4WD was like thinking of voluntarily sacrificing an arm and a couple of legs.

I am quite familiar with Scottish winters and last year was relatively mild, if very wet and windy, although that did not stop the police routinely closing Bealach Na Ba which was disappointing. Applecross is one of the key points on my "journey of maudling, tear-jerking nostalgia" :(

However I did have one incident with road closed, long detour to get around the closure and a very nice policeman looking at Albert, his tyres and the mad old bat driving it and offered, at my risk of course, to let me go snow ploughing to save me the detour. I must admit to being very conscious of the lack of Diff Lock on Albert as part of the vehicle had to go up the bank at the side of the road.

When Albert does get replaced then the replacement will have a Diff lock.

Prior to about 2013 all 4motions had the dash button diff lock as standard (I believe), then they started to charge. Our 2011 model has the button, but I don't think this is aa mechanical diff lock, just a manual electronic switch to activate instead of letting the system figure it out itself...... our 4x4 panda has the exact same option. So, my reason for posting to to ensure you know that there is NOT a mechanical diff lock on option, just an electric one with a manual switch.... Sorry if this is clear to you, but the thread seemed a bit ambiguous to me

cheers

Hi greenfintry,

Truth be told, it is still ambiguous to me. My current train of thought is to fall back on the idea that VW
surely must have a half decent & fair excuse to ask £575 for this option, other than a cash grab.
Maybe myself and others are being hoodwinked here.
I've looked at other VW Transporter T5 forums & I noticed people saying it is better to have this option than not, but these comments might not be applicable to the 4Motion Cali - only the Transporter/caravelle version - pass. I might be making a mistake either way. For now I'll hang on to the thought that spending £575 on this option will surely not make it less capable than a 4Motion without it.

Cheers

My comments were aimed generally, not specifically, but as one who started life off with every "must have" accessory in the book and for the last two years has been conducting a rolling Cali-boot sale to get rid of "must haves" I have a slightly jaundiced eye.

I can see where you are coming from. I let go of my X3 to get Albert and having clattered 4WD's over most mountain ranges of the world the thought of not having a 4WD was like thinking of voluntarily sacrificing an arm and a couple of legs.

I am quite familiar with Scottish winters and last year was relatively mild, if very wet and windy, although that did not stop the police routinely closing Bealach Na Ba which was disappointing. Applecross is one of the key points on my "journey of maudling, tear-jerking nostalgia" :(

However I did have one incident with road closed, long detour to get around the closure and a very nice policeman looking at Albert, his tyres and the mad old bat driving it and offered, at my risk of course, to let me go snow ploughing to save me the detour. I must admit to being very conscious of the lack of Diff Lock on Albert as part of the vehicle had to go up the bank at the side of the road.

When Albert does get replaced then the replacement will have a Diff lock.

Sorry you didn't get to to do the infamous Bealach Na Ba. Hopefully next time Jen.

On the assumption that the Diff-Lock option is the helpful option that I'm hoping it is... when you do get Albert the 2nd & when the going gets tough - we'll both be looking AT the button, instead of FOR it!
All the best

I think the confusion is arising because the T5 range (and presumably the T6 as the mechanicals don't appear to have changed much) actually has two differentials. Or, I guess three really as the front driven axle must also have one.
The two extra ones on the 4Motion appear to be as follows.
One is the centre one which is standard on the 4Motion and is electronically controlled without any driver input that decides where to send the drive to for the best traction.
The second differential is the one on the rear axle which is the one that now seems (used to be standard) to be the optional extra. This is operated by the driver with the button on the dash and locks the rear diff so that both rear wheels turn at the same rate. Hence it should not be used at speed and only where the conditions merit it's use.
This may help explain it.
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/transmissions-and-drivetrains/4motion
To confuse further there is the already mentioned standard EDL system on two wheel and 4wd which again uses the brake on individual wheels to get the best traction. This only works up certain speeds to prevent overheating. 25mph on 2wd and 50mph on 4wd.

All very complicated, god help us if it goes wrong.

Back