Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the electronic diff lock on the 4Motion worth ordering?

S

Schadenfroid

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
It looks like VW has just re-opened ordering for the T6.1 204PS 4Motion California (at least they were available this morning and our dealer thinks they are back on the menu!).

We're thinking of ordering one before they are no longer around. They can come with an electronic diff lock which I think is around £850 extra - does anyone have any experience on the T6.1 Cali with the electronic diff lock and is it it worth it? I'm specifically interested in if it makes the Haldex 4Motion system a bit more practical off road (muddy fields etc).

It looks like VW has just re-opened ordering for the T6.1 204PS 4Motion California (at least they were available this morning and our dealer thinks they are back on the menu!).

We're thinking of ordering one before they are no longer around. They can come with an electronic diff lock which I think is around £850 extra - does anyone have any experience on the T6.1 Cali with the electronic diff lock and is it it worth it? I'm specifically interested in if it makes the Haldex 4Motion system a bit more practical off road (muddy fields etc).

The YouTube video EDL Vs diff lock in the link shows the difference with electronic Vs electronic turned off Vs diff lock. Watch from about 33 seconds shows with 2 side wheels spinning on rollers on the same side, diff lock makes a difference.
I don't have it myself though and have always got off of wet fields fine but the evidence that it could help is there in that video .

Many options are in an 'insane' state. This usually means VW UK is working on it and in a few days it will reflect what is available.

I ordered it as for the price difference once in you might as well. I know others say you never going to use it, and they much rather spend it on two tone etc.
it really depends where you are going or what you are doing with it.
it is not an off road vehicle as standard because of a low ground clearance. But in muddy situations and snow I guess it is worth it. Never been let down at the moment even on loose sand.
happy I ordered it and dropped the electric sliding door.

I go skiing to the Alps in my van and move to a different resort every few days - I think it's worth it if only for the peace of mind that it's there if I need it in tricky snow conditions or out of the way areas.

For the additional cost (compared to the overall cost of the new van) I think it's worth it and value for money. I'd have regretted it if I hadn't ordered it when I had the opportunity - there s no opportunity to install after taking delivery.

Hope this helps.

Depends how you are going to use the vehicle and type of weather you maybe going to use it in. If going for a swamper look then add diff lock, I have a 4M but did not add diff lock, needed to draw the line at some point on the extras and could not see me using it. There is a thread somewhere where the diff lock stuck on, possibly due to lack of use. As with all options personal choice as we are all different, beauty of the cali is that you can configure / customise to your own needs.

I assume the California difflock option is same as the Grand California and it’s a rear axle differential lock, which locks both back wheels together.
We specced it on our 4motion Grand California and already used it within a month of ownership to get up a soft, wet grassy slope where other vans had created ruts wheel spinning. We reversed up the slope with the rear locker engaged and no wheel spin or effort required by the van.
So well worth it and glad of the small outlay to have it.
Used it a lot on Toyota Landcruiser when we had one e.g. offroad on greenlanes rock steps and axle twisters
But also once when we pulled over onto snowy verge to let a car past, near-side wheels in wet snow and off-side on the road and the Landcruiser wasn’t going anywhere with centre differential locked.
I engaged rear differential lock, meaning offside rear wheel could now get power and traction and we drove off.

We're thinking of ordering one before they are no longer around. They can come with an electronic diff lock which I think is around £850 extra -
A lot has been discussed on this board re. diff lock, and the sense/nonsense of having one, but here I fail to understand what we are talking about. Ordering an electronic diff lock?

I can understand a mechanical diff lock, but as far as I know, the 'electronic diff lock' is not a diff lock at all, but just the way the 4M system works: when a wheel starts spinning, the system starts to break it via ABS, thus reverting traction to the other wheel on the axle. That mechanism is often referred to as 'electronic diff lock', but it is not a diff lock as such. I don't see how one could order it, if it is a feature of 4M as such?

That said, we have a 4M without the mechanical diff lock, and the 'electronic diff lock' has always been enough for us even in our somewhat more extreme travels (Iceland, West-Alps, Pyrenees off-road, etc). See e.g. this thread, our trip through snowy Norway last winter. 4M without mechanical diff lock, winter AT's, ESP/ABS: wonderful combi, never needed snow chains :cool:

edf494cd-5458-4edd-84f1-8ed091aa50bb-jpeg.103769

I don't have a diff-lock on my 4Motion, I wanted a van fast so bought from stock. I live in southern Germany so lots of snow and ice to cope with, and the van does fine so far with all season tyres and a bit of caution. Experience is as imprtant as a diff-lock in almost all situations - I treat it as a last resort when things stop moving forward, but it is no guarantee.

You can still get stuck even with a diff-lock. Used to go off-roading with Land-Rovers (low-range, very knobbly tyres, diff-lock) and we got them stuck regularly - just be aware of what equipment you have with you and the conditons you are driving in - always take a shovel, snow-chains and mats/boards if you expect adverse conditions.

I got a Discovery stuck once taking the kids sledging, mis-judged where the parking spot ended and the car sunk up to it's axles in snow - had to dig it out using a shovel, rocks, and a bottle jack. Took me ages.

The one thing about a diff-lock is that it is a complement to the 4Motion system, and will increase the saleability of the vehicle on the second-hand market. If you can afford it - get it IMO. Many people looking for 4Motion on the second-hand market, will choose a diff-lock van over one without.

I’ve heard a few people have had problems with diff lock not disengaging so would only get it if you need it.
I’ve had it on 2 of my 4m vans and used it a handful of times a year and is great and worth the extra pennies.

Don’t get it if it’s just to make the dash pretty with an extra button though. :thumb

I’ve heard a few people have had problems with diff lock not disengaging so would only get it if you need it.
I’ve had it on 2 of my 4m vans and used it a handful of times a year and is great and worth the extra pennies.

Don’t get it if it’s just to make the dash pretty with an extra button though. :thumb
I think the trick is to engage and disengage it now and again to keep it working properly. It’s common in Landcruisers too to have issues like that due to lack of use of the difflock.
Happened to me when I got our Landcruiser second hand at 9years old, previous owner likely never used it. And it stayed locked for me, i managed to get it working again but eventually got a new unit and due to corrosion of old one.

The configurator looks a little more sane today. Basic 4Motion for 81k about 800 quid for mechanical diff lock. 2 tone paint and the rear shower has disappeared. 5th seat is there but the description is blank. Clearly a work in progress.

Last edited:
Took an off-road course recently with Seikel and Experience.de, specifically for VW buses.

I enjoy exploring off-pavement by moto/4-where and drove my Defender to Europe through Africa, so wanted to understand in comparison what the van could and shouldn't do.

As I understand it the button is electric, but the actual lock is mechanical.

Regardless, instructor said always turnoff traction control when you go off pavement, but don't engage the rear diff right away. Save it instead for when the conditions worsen or you're about to do a tricky section - the they is you can use it to get out of a situation rather then into one.

For the cost, even if you don't do much off-road it's still a great safety feature and adds to resale value.

P1000698 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Took an off-road course recently with Seikel and Experience.de, specifically for VW buses.

I enjoy exploring off-pavement by moto/4-where and drove my Defender to Europe through Africa, so wanted to understand I'm comparison what the van could and shouldn't do.

As I understand it the button is electric, but the actual lock is mechanical.

Regardless, instructor said always turnoff traction control when you go off pavement, but don't engage the rear diff right away. Save it instead for when the conditions worsen or you're about to do a tricky section - the they is you can use it to get out of a situation rather then into one

yes the rear locker is mechanical, but activated by electric motor.
cable operated differential locks aren’t that common
most air activated like ARB air lockers or electric activated

The YouTube video EDL Vs diff lock in the link shows the difference with electronic Vs electronic turned off Vs diff lock. Watch from about 33 seconds shows with 2 side wheels spinning on rollers on the same side, diff lock makes a difference.
I don't have it myself though and have always got off of wet fields fine but the evidence that it could help is there in that video .
It seems the T6.1 is much worse than the T6 without diff lock or are vehicles equipped with diff lock differently programmed regarding using the brakes as diff lock?

You’ll get the extra money spent on diff lock back when you sell the Cali, if that matters to you.

One more thing to break and when they go wrong are big £££££ to replace. For the sort of "off roading" I do, the stock 4Mo has worked just fine, even with AS tyres. If I was rock hopping or navigating dried river beds then I could see it was worth having.
The handbrake trick would likely get me out of the occasional difficult situation.

Used the diff lock yesterday in France to get off a ski resort following a huge snow dump - other vehicles couldn’t make any headway and were stuck - the cali coped admirably (and also on the 20 mile heavily snow laden drive across the alps).

Worth it in my view if you do this sort of terrain.

You’ll get the extra money spent on diff lock back when you sell the Cali, if that matters to you.
So that must be the only option ever that you get back when you sell it :). I am not so sure and I am sure diff lock is only needed when using it in proper terrain and not just gravel roads, wet grass or snow. This reminds me of a german I met years ago near lake Garda. He had a Beach with 4wd, diff lock, lower 1st gear, lifted, every option from Seikel etc etc. I asked if he tested it on a nearby terrain road: the answer is he never takes it off the asphalt because he was afraid if damaging the paint work :)

So that must be the only option ever that you get back when you sell it :). I am not so sure and I am sure diff lock is only needed when using it in proper terrain and not just gravel roads, wet grass or snow. This reminds me of a german I met years ago near lake Garda. He had a Beach with 4wd, diff lock, lower 1st gear, lifted, every option from Seikel etc etc. I asked if he tested it on a nearby terrain road: the answer is he never takes it off the asphalt because he was afraid if damaging the paint work :)

My comment wasn’t about if having Diff Lock is useful or not.

I was simply stating that when people look for used 4Motions that Diff Lock is a hugely desirable option.

Easy fix, set a reminder on your handy, to engage Diff Lock every 3 months.
This stops the issues, when people never activate it for several years.
I try to do this at about that frequency, am I correct in only doing so on soft ground (rather than metalled carriageway)?

Back