Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion - high price

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Just trying to spec up our ideal first ever campervan. I thought I’d go for 4WD but at £3,246 + £750 for diff lock (to get the best out of it) + £120 Hill descent adds up to a whopping £4116
As much as I think it would be useful, even then I’d really need winter tyres anyway at further cost. Then there’s the additional fuel costs. It’s not really selling itself to me at this stage! I’ve read all the threads about it and it seems that those that have it love it, and those that don’t are probably thinking like I am!
so is it worth £4116?

Just trying to spec up our ideal first ever campervan. I thought I’d go for 4WD but at £3,246 + £750 for diff lock (to get the best out of it) + £120 Hill descent adds up to a whopping £4116
As much as I think it would be useful, even then I’d really need winter tyres anyway at further cost. Then there’s the additional fuel costs. It’s not really selling itself to me at this stage! I’ve read all the threads about it and it seems that those that have it love it, and those that don’t are probably thinking like I am!
so is it worth £4116?
As you’ve read all the Threads you know what the answer is.

If you want it - Can afford it - then get it.

If you want it - But can’t afford it - then don’t get it.

If you don’t want it - then don’t get it. ;)

If you get stuck on a campsite bung the local farmer £20 to drag you out.
save £4,096.00 - easy:thumb
. I’ve only ever had one car with 4WD, an Audi TTS and the 4WD was incredible, but I don’t think the wife would be impressed with me “gunning” it out of roundabouts, bends etc in a Cali . I need to drive slower, especially if I go for our favoured colour....beige!

True. It was a rubbish question really wasn’t it! Sorry
It wasn’t a rubbish question but I do think it was a beautiful response from @WelshGas An unbiased summary of weeks of ranting about something that is very user dependent. Make a decision and use whatever narrative best supports your decision and then you can vehemently argue one way or the other on the forum about how unwise the other party are.

Don’t have it, never had it on a van in twenty years of driving them. So probably don’t need it.

However, that 200bhp engine is pretty powerful and I do wish I had it on this lump. Not that I’ve ever been stuck yet, but with the weight of a loaded Ocean and the grunt it has, it’s very easy to spin the wheels off a damp junction...

So, if you spec one of the lower output engines I personally wouldn’t bother. But if you go for the big boy, tick the 4motion box...

. I’ve only ever had one car with 4WD, an Audi TTS and the 4WD was incredible, but I don’t think the wife would be impressed with me “gunning” it out of roundabouts, bends etc in a Cali . I need to drive slower, especially if I go for our favoured colour....beige!
Yeah but you need the traction when you’re trying to beat that Porsche from the Tollbooths on the French motorways.

In all seriousness, the front wheels spin on mine occasionally when trying to get into that gap on a roundabout and I’ve only got the 150hp Beach.

If you’re getting the 200hp and intend to keep the van forever, you’ll only regret not getting the 4M.

I wish I had 4motion when I’m in the alps.
I’ve driven roads so steep that there’s little traction from the front wheels in the wet as there’s so much weight in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having run Subaru's prior to getting our 1st Cali in 2012 I would have loved to spec a 4 motion but could not really afford the extra.
I feel you need to think about why you think you need it. Where you intend to go in the van - daily drive - used all year (many do not). Where you live. We live in the South and use the van as a daily drive, I am also retired so do not have to go out in the odd snowy days we have. I have a set of winter wheels but have used all-season tyre for the last 3 years. Not having 4 motion has not prevented us from going anywhere I would have wanted to go, but still would have had 4 motion if money was no issue in my budget.

As you’ve read all the Threads you know what the answer is.

If you want it - Can afford it - then get it.

If you want it - But can’t afford it - then don’t get it.

If you don’t want it - then don’t get it. ;)

If you have a (UK) Beach, then you can't have it.

Good moring,

4Motion was always on my wish list. But when we bought our California (demo model) it was not build in.

I haven't checked the latest price list of the California in Ireland, but the last time I looked 4Motion was only availalbe on the list on the highest spec with a price tag that rivals a kings ransom.

Even with the 150 HP engine I experienced the spinning front wheels now and then (believe me I am not a racer). After I changed to the Michelin CrossClimate it improved a lot.

On my tours around Ireland I end up in ever so small roads. Which on its own is no problem, but to make room for the oncoming traffic I have to move a good bit to the side. At this point I got almost stuck in the muggy edge of the road several times. Here I would have wished for the 4Motion.

I assume the Michelin tyres will have to be replaced in around June 2021. I am toying with the idea to get BF Goodrich Urban Terrain. I believe tyres are very important and those will help even better in those situation or on a wet field on a camp site.

But as mentioned before, if I could afford it, I would get it (including the differentical lock). Maybe on the next California.

Happy California,
Eberhard

If you’ve got the cash do it. I would. Had our beach stuck twice now. Stock tyres are rubbish on wet grass and mud. Fuel penalty will hurt a bit but it’s not like people do many miles annually in these so don’t worry about it. I think it makes for a complete package and will give confidence driving into wet campsites or up lanes in poor weather. Tyres are as important. I’m planning to go cross climate as soon as I wear the continental tyres out.

97% of the time 2WD is fine for a 150. But like others have said I think you could get stuck easily in this vans. I couldn’t believe the last time I got stuck it looked like nothing but just no traction on the front and lots of weight. Pulled into a verge to go for a walk. Slightly muddy. Turned out to be softer than it looked and the van just bogged down. Did get it out with some thinking though. Rear wheels had grip if I’d had 4M would have been able to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but you need the traction when you’re trying to beat that Porsche from the Tollbooths on the French motorways.
Go for the toll tag, use the 30kph automatic lane & the rolling start means you will beat the porsche without needing 4 motion.

For what it is worth we went through the same agonizing thought process when we ordered our 6.1 in May/June. Eventually after asking people (we phoned three different dealers and also friends) for their thoughts we decided on the 2WD. Consensus was the 2WD is great for most situations and also a consideration was that the MPH of the van in 2WD is only just in an acceptable range for us and that the 4WD consumption meant we would personally possibly feel a little bit guilty - my wife and I are both green - we decided not to wait for an acceptable electric version since I have been ill and we decided we should go for our dreams now! The decision was not based on cost and in fact we then paid for the two tone paint! We also went for the enlarged fuel tank. Time will tell if we regret the decision but we look forward to delivery of our van soon.
We are off in the lovely old T4 hightop (not so green!) (see pic) to Shropshire and then on to the West coast of wales for a few days which should be fun - last trip before the van is mothballed for preservation purposes since our son lived in it all year round in Edinburgh but is now starting work in London for a year so he can't use it whilst based there because of the high cost of the low emission zone for a vehicle of its age (£100 pd), but he is based out of London next year so plans to go back to living in it again - he loves the freedom and is a very keen surfer!

I have it, is it worth the 28mpg? not sure ask me again in the winter

What are you planning to use it for? All season tyres might do the job well enough.

My use case for the 4MO:

our trips are quite unplanned as we like to explore off the beaten track. For us, a Cali is not for pitching a tent in a campground and staying there for a week or two. If we see a road less used, we take it. When I had a Golf, during our trips, we have skipped a few road that we would have loved to explore. With the Cali, I did not want that to be a constraint. Also, with a 3 ton vehicle off the beaten track, the more driven wheels, the better.

I was also inspired by @bvddobb and his adventures (see thread here - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/4wd-off-road-course-with-our-4motion-cali.5743/) in the right hands, and with the right config, the Cali is a very capable machine.

Also been inspired by @Skewif . See his adventures here - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/love-wild-camping-go-italian-alps.21430/

I have Morocco, Norway and Russia on the cards and in these places, the more driven wheels, the better.

As others have said, it is your decision, and in the end, it has to map to your use case. Are you an adventurer - ready to go off the beaten track then get it and use it. If a Cali for you is for motorway and A/B roads use, a good set of tyres will get you anywhere.

I'm getting 35 mpg out of ours or there about, seen it as high as 42 on a long run. Best vehicle I have had.

Living in NE Scotland and knowing much of my camping will be fields (dog agility comps) I went for DSG and 4Motion. Love it.
Ordering it again on my Kombi.

4Motion. It's the icing on the cake.

You've already spent a shed load of money. Why have plain cake?
If you've read all the posts, have you read one where someone regrets having 4Motion? There are quite a few that say "if I had another Cali, I would add 4motion to the spec"
Another plus is you will get at least half that money back on a better residual value, and it will definitely sell a lot quicker than a non 4motion.
I accept that if you're mainly only going to drive on motorways and main roads etc, visiting easy to access camping sites, it could be considered as unnecessary.

But, as wise man of Wales says, "If you want it, can afford it, get it. If you don't want it, or can't afford it, don't get it"

Back