Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Emissions Scandal & The VW California

Ah, good point. We should be more worried about the emisions from those aging Jocks than some dodgy old oil burner!!

I wonder if this will affect production in Europe? (I have a vested interest in the answer to that question :Nailbiting)

I think I've found the answer to my own question :

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content..._AG_has_issued_the_following_information.html

Volkswagen AG has issued the following information:
Volkswagen is working at full speed to clarify irregularities concerning a particular software used in diesel engines. New vehicles from the Volkswagen Group with EU 6 diesel engines currently available in the European Union comply with legal requirements and environmental standards. The software in question does not affect handling, consumption or emissions. This gives clarity to customers and dealers.

Further internal investigations conducted to date have established that the relevant engine management software is also installed in other Volkswagen Group vehicles with diesel engines. For the majority of these engines the software does not have any effect.

Discrepancies relate to vehicles with Type EA 189 engines, involving some eleven million vehicles worldwide. A noticeable deviation between bench test results and actual road use was established solely for this type of engine. Volkswagen is working intensely to eliminate these deviations through technical measures. The company is therefore in contact with the relevant authorities and the German Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA – Kraftfahrtbundesamt).

To cover the necessary service measures and other efforts to win back the trust of our customers, Volkswagen plans to set aside a provision of some 6.5 billion EUR recognized in the profit and loss statement in the third quarter of the current fiscal year. Due to the ongoing investigations the amounts estimated may be subject to revaluation. Earnings targets for the Group for 2015 will be adjusted accordingly.

Volkswagen does not tolerate any kind of violation of laws whatsoever. It is and remains the top priority of the Board of Management to win back lost trust and to avert damage to our customers. The Group will inform the public on the further progress of the investigations constantly and transparently.

This wiki link is also helpful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_violations

It would appear EU 6 diesel engines are not affected. Phew ;)
(I hope california production isn't either)

That's not a VW press release.
Exactly, the source of all this is not VW, its Californian authorities called EPA.
If VW was the source they would have dumped this information in the dump, which the obviously did already :)

How was it?

I thought it drove really well! Went up a local hill and didn't feel it was lacking any power. It was the 6 speed manual, and in power, it felt pretty much like my mates 180 T5 DSG.

Full disclosure: I don't drive big cars that often any more and so maybe a back to back test drive would pick up some differences!

I also have tested a 110HP manual T6 Transporter and a 140Hp something with DSG. I would say the 110HP manual was quite ok. I would guess a California will be much worse with the same engine since it weighs alot more than an empty transporter :)

I have just voted with my wallet and cancelled my T6 order. Well more like 'suspended' the order - the emissions situation looks bad but it feels too early to leap to a judgement. Every company will screw up at some point; what really matters now is how VW responds. A defining moment for the company.

C
I have just voted with my wallet and cancelled my T6 order. Well more like 'suspended' the order - the emissions situation looks bad but it feels too early to leap to a judgement. Every company will screw up at some point; what really matters now is how VW responds. A defining moment for the company.
CEO has heard and fallen n his sword. No great surprise!

Can't be, I drove a T6 Multivan with the 150PS engine last month! My dealer has loads of them in.
Manufacturers can introduce EU6 compliant engines anytime they wish as long as it is done by 1st September 2015.

I don't think Herr Winterkorn had much choice.

"production in Germany's biggest sword manufacturer is expected to double this year........"

Manufacturers can introduce EU6 compliant engines anytime they wish as long as it is done by 1st September 2015.
T6 transporter doesn't get them till next year though for some reason

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I really wouldn't buy VW shares yet - the fines per illegal car in the US alone are one thing but once the litigation from owners in the US and worldwide starts rolling in then with luck VW will get everything that they are due.

Who here with a 50k van and given the chance of a nice simple class action will turn down a nice fat compensation cheque form the conniving, greedy ba$tards?

They really do deserve everything.

9272f39b-9f10-44e1-94b6-55a80f-560296e47963e.png

12032074_10207511729128933_233-56029b790880a.jpg

What's not clear to me is whether the EA 189 engine implicated in this business is the one used in the T5 Cali. Does anyone know?

I was wondering the same thing. The EA189 is the 2.0l diesel used in the Golf, Passat etc. (plus other VAG cars), so unless the Cali uses a different version (highly unlikely I suspect), then yes those of us with 2010 onwards facelifted T5's will be affected

The emissions produced by a vehicle are obviously down to more than just the engine (block) it has. Also need to consider the exhaust system and all the other systems that have (or haven’t) been put into the whole combustion & exhaust cycle. Eg does the vehicle have EGR, SCR, DPF NOx trap and then how are all these elements controlled by the software. It sounds like from all the press that it’s the control of all these ‘extras’ by the software that VW have been fiddling.

The basic ‘engine’ in the Cali probably is the EA189 (I don’t know for certain) but in the States VW have added the SCR (in case of the Passat tested) or NOx trap (in case of Jetta tested). Neither of these solutions (SCR or NOx trap) have been used in the T5.1 Cali. The 2.0 engines we have in the Cali have the EGR solution instead. I think most of the 11 million vehicles in Europe will have the EGR solution. Everyone I've spoken to with a 2.0l Diesel (across VWs Audi, Seat, & Skodas) have either a basic engine (older models) or EGR. None of them are adding extra fluid in an extra tank which would be the sign of a SCR being used.

The software may well be common across the US and Europe but if the hardware its controlling isn’t there that those lines of code will be redundant. Thus I don't think we will be affected.
One of the Issues VW are going to have is explaining this to the general (European) public who are being fed more sensationalist headlines by the press.

The Cali has the ea189 engine (T5.1). The T6 will at first in be ea189 in Euro 5 spec and the ea288 in Euro 6 spec (add blue engine). That's what my research comes up with.

I was wondering the same thing. The EA189 is the 2.0l diesel used in the Golf, Passat etc. (plus other VAG cars), so unless the Cali uses a different version (highly unlikely I suspect), then yes those of us with 2010 onwards facelifted T5's will be affected

This could be a good thing for owners. Simply return the vehicle to Volkswagen and ask for your money back. As you were mis-sold goods. a full refund should be expected. Then ask to buy the California in the show-room.
Potentially you have a vehicle which will lose no money over a 2-5year period of ownership or however long you have owned the vehicle.

Thankyou very much Volkswagen :bananadance

Latest statement from Volkswagen
23 September 2015

"You will have gathered from current media reports that Volkswagen is working at full speed to clarify irregularities concerning particular software used in Diesel engines.

Please be aware of one thing over all others: securing the trust of our customers and that of the public is, and will remain, of paramount importance to us. We sincerely and deeply regret that we have abused your trust. We will take care of all your concerns as quickly as possible.

All affected vehicles are absolutely safe and roadworthy. The matter at hand applies exclusively to emitted pollutants. We will resolve this. It goes without saying that we will take full responsibility and cover costs for the necessary arrangements and measures.

But this process will take time – time for an analysis of the circumstances and time to initiate technical measures.

New vehicles from the Volkswagen Group with EU 6 Diesel engines currently available in the European Union comply with legal requirements and environmental standards.

The software in question does not affect handling, consumption or emissions. A noticeable deviation between bench test results and actual road use was established solely for Type EA 189 engines. Volkswagen is working hard to eliminate these deviations through technical measures.

Please understand that we are currently not able to specify which models and years of construction are affected. We will provide you with further information as soon as possible.

Volkswagen will do everything to fully regain the trust so many people put in us."

"Please be aware of one thing over all others: securing the trust of our customers and that of the public is, and will remain, of paramount importance to us. We sincerely and deeply regret that we have abused your trust. We will take care of all your concerns as quickly as possible."
What about the front panel roof issue? Wouldn't trust VW UK at all!!!!

John

Mr Dobrindt said he had been told vehicles with 1.6 and 2.0 litre diesel engines are "affected by the manipulations that are being talked about".

This whole affair is very sad indeed.

A Senior Executive Team operating with a focus too closely on profits at the expense of everything, and inevitably the people who will suffer will be the workforce and the consumers.

It may seem bizarre to say so at this time, but despite all this, I for one will be remaining loyal. Irrespective of the lunatic behaviour of the leaders in their organisation, I still count the VW designers and engineers as some of the most ingenious in the world. It's the reason their brand has been associated with quality and innovation for so long, and I can see it every time I step inside my Cali (I've been in many other's, motorhomes etc...none compare).

I just hope they restore a level of confidence in consumers soon.

I'd hate for those thinking of buying to miss out on the opportunity of owning one of their marvelous machines and the life adventures they open up.

Back