Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Emissions Scandal & The VW California

Sorry but is this a serious reply?.

No.

You obviously missed the smiley at the end of my post.

Also planning a 1,500 mile journey to go and buy wine for the "fun of it" when I could just order it online would confirm me as a hypocrite if I was to take it upon myself to sit in judgement on others.

Sorry GrannyJen - this is not true, EU tests are done in a lab not in a number of road tests:

'Even the VCA, on its website, says that "because of the need to maintain strict comparability of the results achieved by the standard tests, they cannot be fully representative of real-life driving conditions".'

Yes, so I read about five minutes after I quoted from an erroneous piece of information gleaned from that most reliable of media organs, the daily telegraph. I stand corrected, well ... no, sitting actually, but I am sure you will understand what I mean...

OK sorry, just makes me angry as a loyal customer of VW for over 20 years that VW have done this :( I did see the smiley but again sorry but when it comes to the enormous damage the the environment this has resulted in (emission rules in California USA are strict for a very good reason!!) then perhaps I feel it wasn't a laughing or joking matter. And yes we all need our leisure time so can't and won't criticise you for heading down to France in the Cali :)

And also sorry I know you're trying to make light of it so sincere apologies :)

I actually feel a little sorry for VW in a very small way - being loyal to them, but I feel I have to make my stand, shame really I was looking forward to my new Golf R :(

And yes sorry I always knew about the lab test thing, there's been a mini scandal for years regarding MPG figures quoted - which is why we can't quite get the MPG quoted by manufacturers!! Leading us to say - how did they get that MPG!! :)

Bluestone, taking the moral high ground because you walk to work and recycle a bit thats priceless.
I notice you say you've cancelled your order for a golf,but your getting a BMW instead that will be much better for the environment, well done :thumb

So you don't feel like doing your bit then? So just let everyone else do it first, then you will care? If we all did our bit regardless of what anyone else does then we will make a difference, if no one does it then we have no chance on this fragile world :(
No, I do my bit. Recycling, fortunately our council collects All recycling in 1 bin, I use the bus to go to Cardiff instead of the California. The house is well insulated, energy efficient lights etc: etc:.
But don't fool yourself that driving an electric car makes you a paragon of environmental virtue. When you charge it the power comes from a power station probably burning fossil fuels. The wind farm or solar panel farm may produce clean energy But they were not produced in an environmentally friendly way. People, Environmental Groups and Politicians Do Not look at the "Whole Life Impact " of all the products, processes and services they promote.
The ultimate irony is a cold, sunny winters day after overnight snow. No wind - No Wind Power. Solar panels covered in snow - No Solar Power.
What do we depend on - Fossil Fuels and Nuclear Power.

We should be researching Fusion Power and Clean Fossil Fuel energy.

Just my OWN personal opinion.:thumb

Bluestone, taking the moral high ground because you walk to work and recycle a bit thats priceless.
I notice you say you've cancelled your order for a golf,but your getting a BMW instead that will be much better for the environment, well done

Mmmm moral high ground????? I don't think so - never said that did I or am I missing something? My cancelling an order for my Golf is as a protest for what VW has admitted to - it has nothing to do with with the environment in so far as my contribution is concerned - the Golf R is a petrol by the way and so will the BMW be, pretty sure this relates to Diesel engines!

OK sorry, just makes me angry as a loyal customer of VW for over 20 years that VW have done this :(

The German bosses at VW could do well to learn from the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche ...

"I am not upset that you have lied to me, I am upset that from now on I cannot believe you".

I am not a loyal VW person, but I have long admired the rock solid reputation for engineering and integrity that VW meant. The latter has now been shattered and I feel very sad for that.

But don't fool yourself that driving an electric car makes you a paragon of environmental virtue.

I'm totally against electric cars - actually living in Norway for the last two years electric cars are very popular as they are green - hydro. However, you miss the most important part about electric cars - the fact that Lithium mining is destroying one of the natural wonders of the earth. Electric cars are not sustainable (and by the way nuclear is 100% green when producing power) - we need to burn all the Oil & Gas and put all the money we put into so called green energy into a fully sustainable fuel source for the future - not my words but the words of the accepted 'god' of green ;)

What do we depend on - Fossil Fuels

I've worked extensively in power and a lot of the current coal fired power stations are being converted into biomass boilers with very little emissions (Drax the largest power station in Europe will soon all be Biomass) - they also all have SCR and other NO2 and CO2 abatement systems - can't remember the deadline but all will be converted soon.

But I'm against electric cars for the reasons I state above even though in the future the power to charge them in the UK will not be from fossil fuels.

rock solid reputation for engineering and integrity that VW meant.

I guess that is what has made me a loyal customer - been treated very well in the past, as I say feel angry and let down by VW now - I thought (and hoped that VW were above this :( )

Hydrogen Fuel Cell using Nuclear Fusion to produce the Hydrogen by electrolysis.:thumb

Hydrogen Fuel Cell using Nuclear Fusion to produce the Hydrogen by electrolysis

Great idea :) Not quite there yet though, hydrogen cars are about at the moment (there's one which produces hydrogen to power a normal engine), the real problem is that they use rare earth metals so not sustainable - they are working on them though using more common metals for the electrolysis aspect, so hopefully soon ;) :)

Great idea :) Not quite there yet though, hydrogen cars are about at the moment (there's one which produces hydrogen to power a normal engine), the real problem is that they use rare earth metals so not sustainable - they are working on them though using more common metals for the electrolysis aspect, so hopefully soon ;) :)
T7

Bluestone.

You go racing don't you?
Unnecessary burning of hydrocarbons ?
Environmentally friendly ?

You go racing don't you?
Unnecessary burning of hydrocarbons ?
Environmentally friendly ?

Oh yeah sorry silly me, how dare I care about the environment - yep calling the dealers back tomorrow, VW who cares all is forgiven.

Been there, done that, not entertaining silly replies from people. Don't you work in F1 - wow talk about unnecessary burning of hydrocarbons.

Oh by the way I work in Oil & Gas - if you want to be cleaver (I've posted that I do) then pick something a little bit better if you want to attack me for caring about the future of our planet and then calling me a hypocrite. This thread was meant to be about VW telling lies to you and me, not about personal attacks on me thank you.

I am very lucky that the work I do enables me to make many contributions to green projects around the world - I try to do my bit for the little it's worth, sorry for having a life by racing as a hobby.

I have been trawling the Internet as I understand it is only certain engines which MAY have the software. I have only seen cars mentioned not commercial vehicles. I have a 2litre vehicle. How do I find out which EA my engine is?

Is it possible that any vehicles that fail to comply would be unable to drive in London's low emissions zone. I know I am stuffed from 2020 anyway but could it affect the present? It is my only vehicle.
Zebedee

I wonder if this may have an effect on resale values of vehicles with the EA189 engine?
And if the current cali does have it from a selfish point of view I wonder if it might further the strengthen the value of my prefacelift 2.5?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Even cyclists are not green. Most frames and parts are imported from Taiwan and China and made in factories with emissions.
Back to topic. I saw in the evening news that Germans tested BMW 5 something and they came to a conclusion that the emissions were 11 times higher than BMW claimed. I think we will see more to come.

These are the cars which have been implicated 'Audi A3 and the VW Jetta, Beetle, Golf and Passat models' so even though perhaps the engine might be the same as fitted in the California (sorry I don't know the exact engine types for these models), the Cali and Transporter series are not implicated - I think it's because VW don't sell the models in the US (not too sure about the Transporter in this regard but certainly the Cali is not sold there).

This relates to the more stringent emissions rules in the US, however, this SW fix was fitted to all cars listed above worldwide (from what I understand).

Hope this helps :)

I would guess it'll be a simple case of a trip to the dealer (or, given the number of vehicles involved it may be a man pays you a visit). Somebody will plug a laptop into your diagnostic port and swap out the software. Four maybe five minutes max?
Done.

Beware "The Jen-Erator"

Yes you should be, it's not cool or cleaver to attack members personally. I'm not perfect, and to be fair I was merely suggesting that we should all do what we can - not stop living our lives and enjoying the way we live. I was referring to what WelshGas wrote, however, it would appear this was s different point and she (?) does her bit already.

I'm sure that (and I feel sad for them) the workers are as angry as the public - the only redeeming factor is the way VW have put their hands up to this - I'm sure there are many VW workers who are as sad and angry about this (well maybe apart from the SW developers who are probably in hiding!!).

I've worked extensively with large German manufacturers and find they take pride in what they produce, they have good unions who care for the worker but also allow production to be very efficient. I'm confident that if someone who had a problem with a UK dealer (many on here say the UK dealer network for Cali's are less than perfect) told one of the workers who built the California, they would be as angry. After all he Cali is an engineering masterpiece.

We had the opportunity to be as good in car manufacturing but that another story, however, the British excel in design and engineering, motorsport is a good example of this where we have the best engineers and workers in the world which is why the majority of F1 teams are based in the UK.

My point is that if we all do just a little bit more when it comes to protecting the environment then it will make a difference - it is estimated that all the deep sea coral (of which we have a lot of our coast) will be all gone by the end of the century due to CO2 emissions.

It makes me sad that I cancelled my order, but this is what I felt I had to do (my personal choice), what I can't understand is why so many are defending VW more then the company themselves!!

VW will survive but bear in mind that GM in the US needed a government bail out, and at the time they were the largest seller of cars in the world, then it was Toyota and taken over this year by VW. I will buy VW again and they will sort their act out, until then it's another choice of car for me - personal thing and nothing to do with anyone else.

From what I understand the software put the engine into a limp mode to pass emissions (by reducing power considerable), therefore the car when driven on the road has higher emissions - a trip to the dealer to fix the software will do nothing in the road going form.

From what I understand the software put the engine into a limp mode to pass emissions (by reducing power considerable), therefore the car when driven on the road has higher emissions - a trip to the dealer to fix the software will do nothing in the road going form.
Unless of course they want to ensure it passes emission criteria even when on the road in which case permanent " Limp Mode " which would be a breach of contract in that they have not supplied what you purchased!

Back