Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T6 (150ps model) is affected by VW Emissions Scandal

Phew! Glad we opted for a 204ps!:Nailbiting

Surely any new Cali in production won't have an effected engine?? Maybe a few T6 Transporters might have slipped through?

Surely any new Cali in production won't have an effected engine?? Maybe a few T6 Transporters might have slipped through?

I wouldn't count on that.
They haven't announced any fixes yet so presumably production continues as if they hadn't been found out.

What do you think I should do? Ask for another discount???
It's probably worth a chat with your dealer. Have you spoken to them? Surely VW would keep them in the loop.

Tis almost the season of goodwill after all! You might get some accessories thrown in. :thumb

If I had a 150ps on order I would demand a free upgrade to a 204ps, at the end of the day it is misadvertising by VW as the MPG figures are incorrect, this could also mean poorer residuals for the 150ps version.

They don't currently offer the beach with a 204ps unit here...

Hi There Chris From SMG here, Please read under the Heading are other engines affected , and you will see that it States that the EU6 Engine is not affected.

Regards

Chris Figg

Keep it in perspective. No vehicle on the market ever achieves what the manufacturers claim. FACT.

Any new diesel won't get anywhere near its optimum MPG until its done at least 20k miles. Factor that into the big picture and it makes it even more meaningless.

With a heavy van like the Cali (that's before you fill it with all of the junk we cart about) you'll be lucky to ever get better than 38mpg.

Get a grip. Buy the van. Fill it up. Go out and enjoy it

Mods, in light of Chris Figg's post is it worth changing the title of this thread?

e.g. Some T6's are affected by VW Emissions Scandal(but not those with EU6 AdBlue engines)

Hi Everyone

Just a quick update from a dealers point of view, Here at Cowfold we have not had 1 T5 EU5 engine recalled, on a Transporter, in fact the only vehicles on our entire fleet to have been effected has been the Caddy (always the least likely suspect very Agatha Christie). VW are very Adamant that the T6 EU6 engine will not be effected. If you have any concerns or wish to speak to me I am always available cfigg@smguk.co.uk.

Kind Regards

Chris

@sidepod VW would love it if everyone had that attitude regarding this problem!! I am in the camp that says they should not get away with it

@sidepod VW would love it if everyone had that attitude regarding this problem!! I am in the camp that says they should not get away with it

Get away with what?

We now know, whether what pod said you agree or disagree with, there is not a problem.

As there is not a problem we will never know or be able to evaluate just what they would have got away with had their been a problem and whether or not it would have affected performance, MPG whatever.

I would rather save my angst with VW for supporting those currently experiencing engine malfunctions at 50,000 miles for there's is a real problem.

Also the real problem is the dealer network and, terribly sorry Chris Figg but twice now I have attempted to talk to you about exchanging my T5 for a T6 and having last time waited around your showroom for 15 minutes with no one even saying hello to me, walking past me as if I did not exist, then that's possibly my order lost to SMG.

GrannyJen - are you able to change the title of this thread as it is inaccurate and misleading.

Just removing "California" from the title would probably do it.

Quoted MPG values have always to me at least only been a way of relatively comparing vehicle X against Y based on both vehicles undergoing the same test under the same conditions. Perhaps the MPG actual values would be better expressed as a score out of 10? The test conditions are not set by the manufacturer but by the regulatory body. So holding a manufacturer to account seems in the most part to be how much they have complied with the spirit of the test as well as the letter of the ‘law’. If we want actual mpg values would we not be better putting pressure on the regulatory bodies to come up with tests that better match real world driving conditions and then ensuring that all the vehicles tested are not ‘adapted’ when undergoing the test (eg battery is not disconnected to eliminate alternator load).

My personal experience is that VWs quoted MPG values for my Cali have matched reasonable closely what I achieve ( mid to high 30’s with 25k miles on the clock).

As a matter of interest I looked up on Honest John the real world mpg that owners of the Ford Transit Custom are reporting. This was a vehicle I seriously considered at the time and one of the areas it was (on paper) better than the VW was quoted MPG. In the real world Ford owners are reporting 29.5mph against a test result of 37.7 to 43.5 where as the VW Transporter van on the same site has real world of 33.7mpg against test result range of 32.2 – 37.7. Thus it’s a good job I didn’t take too much store of the numbers and buy a Transit.

It is not so much the MPG I am concerned about as we all know these are bully, it more the CO2 ratings we should be worried about.

It is not so much the MPG I am concerned about as we all know these are bully, it more the CO2 ratings we should be worried about.
Why should we worry about CO2?

Mods, in light of Chris Figg's post is it worth changing the title of this thread?

e.g. Some T6's are affected by VW Emissions Scandal(but not those with EU6 AdBlue engines)
Somebody is wrong either Autoexpress or Vw, the T6 EU6 adblue engines include the 150 mentioned in original post, the EU5 engines are 140, 180 etc which are not affected.

Somebody is wrong either Autoexpress or Vw, the T6 EU6 adblue engines include the 150 mentioned in original post, the EU5 engines are 140, 180 etc which are not affected.
It's certainly not clear.

I wonder whether there is a 150ps unit that does not use AdBlue or Bluemotion.

VW have confirmed that no EU6 engine is affected. I can't believe they would put that message out knowing full well it was wrong.

Anyway, it's not going to change my mind. We ordered the van for fun, not because of the fuel efficiency or fumes it does or does not emit. Life's too short. We bought it because it was the best camper out there.

Some may disagree, but they're free to spend their money elsewhere. ;)

Last edited:
Keep it in perspective. No vehicle on the market ever achieves what the manufacturers claim. FACT.

Any new diesel won't get anywhere near its optimum MPG until its done at least 20k miles. Factor that into the big picture and it makes it even more meaningless.

With a heavy van like the Cali (that's before you fill it with all of the junk we cart about) you'll be lucky to ever get better than 38mpg.

Get a grip. Buy the van. Fill it up. Go out and enjoy it
My grip is fine thanks sidepod ;)
I was just interested in this because I'd rather a company didn't lie to me or have stealth software to lie for them.
I have owned and driven cars before and so I know what to expect as far as real world mpg figures.

Back