Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Emissions Scandal & The VW California

Latest news is that VW have disclosed that 11 million vehicles are affected, including those in Europe.

I think it's a great time to buy shares. 30+% down in a week. There will obviously be a huge fine and costs to rectify, but they WILL get back to current share and profits in a few years.

Not sure if they have hit the bottom yet. Profit warning issued, apparent EU investigation to commence. It could get a lot worse.

Lets hope they dont run out of money before they fix all the roofs in the very long queue

So who will be next?
The other manufacturers are keeping very quiet!

Reading a bit around the edge of the subject it seems that there are 2 options to reduce the NOx emissions from a diesel engine:

1) EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) which feeds some of the exhaust gas back into the cylinder to reduce the oxygen concentration & reduce cylinder temp. These reductions mean less NOx is produced. (but more particulates, hence the increased need for DPF (diesel particulate filter)).

2) SCR (selective catalytic reduction). Here an additive, a urea based liquid (I’m not taking the wee wee honest) Is injected into a catalyst in the exhaust system. A chemical reaction changes the NOx to other less polluting chemicals.

Presumably the two options could be combined if needed.

Pretty sure in the EU and in the Cali we have option 1) as that can reduce the NOx emissions to a level that meets the EU regulations. If we had option 2) there would need to be a tank somewhere to hold the liquid (often referred to as Adblue). It would also need to be refilled at least a service time, probably more often.

With the tougher emission regulations in California I’m wondering which option(s) VWs sold there have gone with. I’m speculating here but I possibly VW have tried to avoid having to go with option 2) but could only meet the test by recirculating a much higher proportion of gases. If this level of recirculation was done in normal driving the DPF filter & EGR valve would be likely to clog up quicker.

Will presumably find out if the recalled cars get just a software fix or SCR system added as well.

Why worry just enjoy your cali

+115 for the above ...

but

on the other hand I am getting quite a malicious pleasure from watching at how the mighty have fallen. They might just start to realise that they now need to start winning friends, and who better to start with than the customer. Certainly in this tiny corner of the Wolfsburg firmament the customer gets treated rather shoddily indeed.

I never realised that Ad blue was a Urea compound.

"Sorry Mr Emissions man... we were not taking the proverbial.... just never thought of adding it" :shocked

The T6 Euro6 engine comes witg the Adblu system I read somewhere.

The T6 Euro6 engine comes witg the Adblu system I read somewhere.

Apparently the engines that sparked the suspicions were recording "unbelievable" NOx levels without it ... As I said in an earlier post, the whistle was first blown by a European NGO ... I wonder if any of VW's "disbelieving" Euro partners had a hand in the proverbial blowing :)

Really

Really? Oh no.

maybe not for the Cali engines. On the Autoexpress review of the van it says the current Euro5 102bhp engine will be available with SCR.
The way I read it is that the 150 & 204 are Euro6 compliant without SCR.

"
In addition to the familiar Euro 5 motors, VW will offer the 102hp engine, in Euro 6 trim. The firm will start with the 102hp as this accounts for up to 75% of UK sales.

It comes with the Selective Catalytic reduction (SCR) that uses AdBlue exhaust additive fluid. This raises the combined fuel figure from 42.2mpg to 47.9mpg, while dropping the CO2 emissions from 176g/km to just 153g/km. It will however set you back an additional £1,020, so initial appeal is likely to be limited to those companies keen to demonstrate their green credentials.

The Euro 6 line-up will also include a 150hp single turbo engine to replace the current 140hp, and a 204hp bi-turbo to replace the 180hp as the most powerful option. VW says that if there is enough demand, it could offer the 150hp Euro 6 engine early in 2016, ahead of the legislation
"

Another interesting point in the article is the increase in mpg (42.2 to 47.9). Thinking about this in reverse does that mean the current EGR solution is causing a 5.7mpg decrease. Ties into a comment earlier about the tuning companies.

I've had an already good price on a T6 dropped even more today...!

Kernowlad anything you can share? I have a deposit on a vehicle at the moment. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's better than 7% from my nearest dealer.

Good job. I wouldn't be surprised if the situation facing VW has them buying customer loyalty with further price support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as they do not run out of money to fix the Cali roof for free
Whilst on the subject of the cali roof repairs, I have long felt that one of the reasons that VW doesn't sell the Cali in the US is probably because if they did they would be faced with a lot of very costly litigation. I am sure that the Americans wouldn't put up with an ongoing issue like this without resorting to legal action.

Back