Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel to EU may not be straightforward next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the U.K. has fishery protection vessels so do the EU and Norway. They ensure the regulations regarding net size, types and size of fish caught are adhered to and Non-EU boats are excluded.
All that is happening in the event of no agreement is that we will enforce our regulations in our waters and the EU will enforce their regulations in their waters. Norway has a separate agreement with the EU regarding fishing in their waters and the U.K. now have a separate reciprocal agreement with Norway regarding fishing.
Funny how Norway can agree but not the EU.
Obviously UK can be expected and justified to take reasonable, proportionate steps to enforce whatever rights and obligations we end up with. But why then the need to sabre-rattle through the press this week about deploying naval vessels? Quite possibly inflaming French fishermen to block Calais and/or the Channel Tunnel around 1 Jan (which they might do anyway if no deal but hey why not encourage them). What do we do then... land Marines to end the blockade?

It's not even about the fishing, it's about labour and environmental regulatory alignment.

Eighteen days left for some pragmatic sense to emerge.

Obviously UK can be expected and justified to take reasonable, proportionate steps to enforce whatever rights and obligations we end up with. But why then the need to sabre-rattle through the press this week about deploying naval vessels? Quite possibly inflaming French fishermen to block Calais and/or the Channel Tunnel around 1 Jan (which they might do anyway if no deal but hey why not encourage them). What do we do then... land Marines to end the blockade?

It's not even about the fishing, it's about labour and environmental regulatory alignment.

A bit of sabre rattling won’t help at all which may be the objective of those doing the rattling or those making it prominent in the media.

Mike

I Disagree. Up until the end of 2020, Fishery Protection vessels from U.K., Norway and EU worked together to enforce the rules and regulations of the EU regarding the Common Fishery Policy and jointly excluding Non EU, U.K. and Norwegian fishing boats from EU, U.K. and Norwegian waters.
With No agreement then the co-operative element ceases and each will have to look after their own. Thus the U.K. will have to increase the number of vessels earmarked for Fishery Protection and Enforcement as they have a larger area to cover. A natural consequence. The EU will be able to reduce their Fishery Protection fleet as they will have less area to cover.

A bit of sabre rattling won’t help at all which may be the objective of those doing the rattling or those making it prominent in the media.

Mike
Mainly the Media methinks. Because whatever happens areas of responsibility for the U.K. , EU and Norwegian Fishery Protection fleets will change.

Talks to continue after a constructive phone call this morning.

Mike

Anything that affects our ability to travel freely is going to cause a lot of angst on this forum.

However given it is the season of all things to make us happy ..... chocolate fingermarks on furniture, wine stains on best carpets, dead pine needles on the floor ..... that sort of thing, can we please keep the angst to the causes, i.e. epidemics and trade talks, and not to each other please?

Ho Ho Ho.

Just as the U.K. has fishery protection vessels so do the EU and Norway. They ensure the regulations regarding net size, types and size of fish caught are adhered to and Non-EU boats are excluded.
All that is happening in the event of no agreement is that we will enforce our regulations in our waters and the EU will enforce their regulations in their waters. Norway has a separate agreement with the EU regarding fishing in their waters and the U.K. now have a separate reciprocal agreement with Norway regarding fishing.
Funny how Norway can agree but not the EU.
Or is it we cant agree? Agreements are just that. Besides Norway will exclude UK & EU boats if UK/EU don’t come to terms.
I note Norway has (much abused term) Sovereignty but is happy to be majorly in the SM & CU, why? because the government there acts in the interests of Norwegians not just a narrow xenophobic sect.

Or is it we cant agree? Agreements are just that. Besides Norway will exclude UK & EU boats if UK/EU don’t come to terms.
I note Norway has (much abused term) Sovereignty but is happy to be majorly in the SM & CU, why? because the government there acts in the interests of Norwegians not just a narrow xenophobic sect.

Seriously OT. Is anybody interested in linking to info about travel to and from UK, or is it just another sterile shouting match?

Last edited:

Healthcare: check you’re covered​

You should always get appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go abroad.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will be valid up to 31 December 2020.

It’s particularly important you get travel insurance with the right cover if you have a pre-existing medical condition. This is because the EHIC scheme covers pre-existing conditions, while many travel insurance policies do not.

Just had an update to my Barclays Travel insurance..Although they don’t actually say it but it would seem that if you contracted Covid you would have to immediately inform them, I suppose the same as any other medical condition. All the excesses have gone up..But hey I suppose all insurance companies will have to cover their backs.

Interesting how Macron is so obsessed with the French fishing votes and ignoring the wine industry, the cheese industry, and all other manufacturers that will face tariffs on their exports to the UK if he gets his way. Oh... and Merkel is now getting stick in Germany for being an EU purist on standards whilst ignoring the estimated loss of over 100,000 german jobs in the automotive industry (yes including VW) Go figure their rationale for not allowing the UK to have a trade deal with the EU like Canada or Australia etc...
What? Australia?
Hah ... wgat was it their firmer premier said ... better be careful what you wish for! A crock deal
Or something like that.

At least The Australians don't have the problem of the French stealing their fish - or the Dutch for that matter.
No one has stolen anything, people including UK that have issued quotas have fished them, we have a choice here, if you want access to EU waters (for fish we eat and process) then a reciprocal arrangement is needed, if not then accept the fish we catch (most species in UK waters not popular to eat in UK) will have no market to sell to making UK fish fleets untenable as prices collapse,.

No one has stolen anything, people including UK that have issued quotas have fished them, we have a choice here, if you want access to EU waters (for fish we eat and process) then a reciprocal arrangement is needed, if not then accept the fish we catch (most species in UK waters not popular to eat in UK) will have no market to sell to making UK fish fleets untenable as prices collapse,.
I don't understand the "no market to sell to" comment that so many people are shouting about. The market is still there and can be sold to, Europe isn't going to stop eating fish. The only difference would be a tariff, given that the pound is worth so much less than it was in in 2016 even if tariffs of 10% were in place then fish sold from the UK would be cheaper in real terms than they were 4 years ago. Uk fleets became untenable once the EU fleets accessed our waters, UK fishing communities were devastated , regaining a bit of balance isn't a bad thing. Tariffs don't stop trade they just make it a little more expensive. As you own a vehicle manufactured by a German company that has perfected the art of applying price increases then I am sure you can understand that our cousins in the EU will continue to desire our brands and will be willing to pay a modest increase if needed to enjoy their fish diet.

I don't understand the "no market to sell to" comment that so many people are shouting about. The market is still there and can be sold to, Europe isn't going to stop eating fish. The only difference would be a tariff, given that the pound is worth so much less than it was in in 2016 even if tariffs of 10% were in place then fish sold from the UK would be cheaper in real terms than they were 4 years ago. Uk fleets became untenable once the EU fleets accessed our waters, UK fishing communities were devastated , regaining a bit of balance isn't a bad thing. Tariffs don't stop trade they just make it a little more expensive. As you own a vehicle manufactured by a German company that has perfected the art of applying price increases then I am sure you can understand that our cousins in the EU will continue to desire our brands and will be willing to pay a modest increase if needed to enjoy their fish diet.
Less intensive fishing in our waters by huge EU factory ships wouldn’t be a bad thing for the environment either.

I’m sure the EU will find some way to manipulate prices in its favour, as it has done with currency for years.

The foreign exchange point is a good one. And actually, unless I got my facts wrong both Norway and Iceland - despite being EEA members - incur tariffs on some of their fish exports to EU, quite high on some species.

Not that I'd pretend to understand the Common Fisheries Policy, it's pretty much beyond my ken. But anyway the fish thing isn't really the barrier to the Brexit deal. And my guess is that Boris is going to cave on the level playing field... just a hunch.

The original post was about Covid and travel in EU next year. If we are deviating from that the thread will be locked.

I'd just like to add that Chris Rea is still driving home for Christmas and he hasn't had a border to cross!

I agree on threads not being hijacked but the OP was about Brexit and how it was effecting our ability to travel to the EU during the covid pandemic so on this occasion don’t see it as being hijacked.
At this stage the outcome of the negotiations is still in doubt with fishing high on the agenda so personally I’m quite interested.

Mike

The foreign exchange point is a good one. And actually, unless I got my facts wrong both Norway and Iceland - despite being EEA members - incur tariffs on some of their fish exports to EU, quite high on some species.

Not that I'd pretend to understand the Common Fisheries Policy, it's pretty much beyond my ken. But anyway the fish thing isn't really the barrier to the Brexit deal. And my guess is that Boris is going to cave on the level playing field... just a hunch.

I agree that there is a whiff of a deal in the air.
Below is an example of one of the stumbling blocks on completion.

BBC political correspondent Chris Mason said the UK does not like a suggestion from the EU that support that comes from Brussels, rather than a member state, should be exempt from any limits on state aid.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back