Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel to EU may not be straightforward next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know Michael O'leary was such an authority on what was racist and isn't . Guess that makes it alright then !
Don't blame me I voted to remain! This is just one aspect. We are now seeing that 'project fear' is 'project reality'.project
if a picture ever said a thousand words.....

Attachments

• A86AFE3B-9933-46D8-8EE1-780C025223E8.jpeg
    A86AFE3B-9933-46D8-8EE1-780C025223E8.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 45
Or would it be that businesses in England, Scotland and Wales will now be competing directly with those based in Northern Ireland, who will now have full access to to the EU on equal trading terms following Gove’s announcement yesterday?
It’s called biting off your nose to spite your face Lightning.....

Why does the “ Level Playing Field “ have to be one way. The EU has lower standards on Maternity !eave/pay and Minimum Wage at present. If the Public/Unions agreed we could drop to their level to create a Level Playing Field. Likewise on Animal Welfare standards and numerous other standards.
Logically nothing wrong with that of course, if you feel reducing UK minimum wage would be a good thing (I wouldn't).

I'd personally love to see higher standards across Europe on animal welfare. Also the CAP is something I'd have liked to see torn up and rebuilt at EU level, but at least we can (I hope) create something better in UK for the future.

But the reason of course that the LPF has to be on EU's terms is that they are six times more economically powerful than us so we were always going to be the weak player in the negotiation. Realpolitik.

I don’t understand this fish thing...Fish and chips used to be a cheap family meal now you are talking £30 + for a family of 4..Does this “Deal” mean the price of drop so we can afford to buy it again?
It doesn't mean anything of the sort. I'm a Kiwi and fish from our plentiful seas are some of the most costly in the world bought locally as 99% of the catch is exported.

Well at least we have the Royal Navy ready to go into battle for us .....

Although I still have less than distant memories of us having to use the MN Charles de Gaulle so we could fly our aircraft over Libya :)
Well how times change. Now we have an aircraft carrier of our own, although no aircraft to go on it (those new F35s are nearly operational though - watch out Frenchy fisher folk and other Johnny Foreigners!)
:upsidedown

“Although I still have less than distant memories of us having to use the MN Charles de Gaulle so we could fly our aircraft over Libya”

I took off from U.K. flew down to Libya, did the job we were paid to do and then flew back to U.K. no input from French carrier at all. Missed out on the medal because we didn’t have a night in the hotel in Malta pah!

Again though even if they were involved what brexit has to do with that, or the ability to drive a Cali in France or Spain etc

Well how times change. Now we have an aircraft carrier of our own, although no aircraft to go on it (those new F35s are nearly operational though - watch out Frenchy fisher folk and other Johnny Foreigners!)
:upsidedown
More operational than you may think.;)

This is what’s new:

British holidaymakers will be barred from the European Union from 1 January under current Covid-19 safety restrictions, with the EU commission indicating there will be no exemption for the UK.

The decision will no longer be ours to take, so the choice aspect is removed.
They are going to ban ALL UK citizens to ALL EU destinations from 1/01/21??? This is unbelievable. And think of the damage to the tourist industries, like France, Spain and Greece. I believe France is the No.1 destination for most UK holidaymakers. Is that what we are reduced to - international pariahs!!!

At which point we will be limited to 90 days or face a fine and ban and will require expensive private health insurance, 4 months notice for pets and an international driving permit, increased car insurance rates and roaming data surcharges so we can use our terrible exchange rate in the sunshine. I have been unable to identify a single positive outcome for me so far, but I must be missing something.
The rest of the world is still wondering why you scored a deliberate own goal

Can we step back here? We have the Mail & Express explicitly threatening our NATO allies without foundation all given a nod and a wink from the supposed government.

Last edited:
With all due respect I should think they would consider it a priority! Over 12 million Brits travel to France every year and over 18 million travel to Spain, unless they want their coastal towns and villages to turn into the arse end of Rhyl cheap visa's will be the norm. You only have to look at the pressure (that worked) the Spanish & Greek tourism bodies put on their respective govenments in late spring/early summer this year even though our infection rates at the time were higher we were allowed in and that was nothing to do with EU membership. Money talks, politics can go run a marathon!
"Arse end of Rhyl?" And Stoke is what, the Florence of Staffordshire?

With all due respect I should think they would consider it a priority! Over 12 million Brits travel to France every year and over 18 million travel to Spain, unless they want their coastal towns and villages to turn into the arse end of Rhyl cheap visa's will be the norm. You only have to look at the pressure (that worked) the Spanish & Greek tourism bodies put on their respective govenments in late spring/early summer this year even though our infection rates at the time were higher we were allowed in and that was nothing to do with EU membership. Money talks, politics can go run a marathon!
Will this be before or after the German Car industry forces the EU to make a deal (remember that??)...it’s really sad to watch this happing. There will be an easy visa for UK travellers eventually but the UK Gov will sign up for the very things that are red lines right now to allow it and other things happen. Remember Northern Ireland red lines a couple of months ago - all reversed and without fanfair in the UK Brexit media. I really hope sense prevails because it won’t be campervan owners like us that will suffer most across UK and Ireland.

Short answer to OP: travel to the EU may not be straightforward next year.. due to the threatened use of gun boats..

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Ours or theirs?

Ours or theirs?
Well I'm hoping it doesn't come to either but the mere threat to use by us is just petrol in the fire. Many EU boats bought a quota license from UK boats in good faith (the UK allowed a free market in licenses - you could call it 'giving away control') but the detail is lost in most UK media.

Well I'm hoping it doesn't come to either but the mere threat to use by us is just petrol in the fire. Many EU boats bought a quota license from UK boats in good faith (the UK allowed a free market in licenses - you could call it 'giving away control') but the detail is lost in most UK media.
Those Liscences were bought on an Annual basis as quotas changed on an annual basis, so basically a “ red herring “.

Just as the U.K. has fishery protection vessels so do the EU and Norway. They ensure the regulations regarding net size, types and size of fish caught are adhered to and Non-EU boats are excluded.
All that is happening in the event of no agreement is that we will enforce our regulations in our waters and the EU will enforce their regulations in their waters. Norway has a separate agreement with the EU regarding fishing in their waters and the U.K. now have a separate reciprocal agreement with Norway regarding fishing.
Funny how Norway can agree but not the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back