Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Modifications to your Cali Thread

Hi,
Here are a couple of general ones, hopefully you can see how they look. I have covered the upper strip which runs directly below the bonnet and the one just below it. I decided to leave the lower one as the lights have a chrome strip which match up with the lower trim.

View attachment 57495View attachment 57496View attachment 57497View attachment 57498
Is what you have done there not the opposite of what's been done here
on post # 1647

on post # 1647

yup, looks like it

What to do on a dull bank holiday Monday. I've read through this thread and there are some very interesting suggestions and very nicely modded vehicles. As far as lowering is concerned, I assume none of you are contemplating a visit to rural Romania. (or Bulgaria, Albania or other points east.)

What to do on a dull bank holiday Monday. I've read through this thread and there are some very interesting suggestions and very nicely modded vehicles. As far as lowering is concerned, I assume none of you are contemplating a visit to rural Romania. (or Bulgaria, Albania or other points east.)

That’s when your start looking at the Seikel T6 lift kits...
:cool:

on post # 1647

I’ve noticed that on the T6 forum.
Owners seem to select the opposite to what they have...

They could have just swapped the front grills.

Well if anyone wants a brand new Beach grill with less chrome I'm your man. I went the other way and went for bling.

Just gonna leave this here, so I don’t forget to do it.
Stolen from the Cali Swiss group...

View attachment 57524
I tried something similar made from 3mm MDF (because I happened to have some) back in November 18, see below, never did get round to posting the plans because i found the curves a real nuisance to draw. Generally it works well, but like yours it has no back to the shelves and when it gets knocked things fall off the back of the shelf.
Just a taster - not quite finished yet but means we can keep shoes near the door but not trip up over them.

Plans will follow View attachment 39861

I tried something similar made from 3mm MDF (because I happened to have some) back in November 18, see below, never did get round to posting the plans because i found the curves a real nuisance to draw. Generally it works well, but like yours it has no back to the shelves and when it gets knocked things fall off the back of the shelf.

I’m thinking it might be a good shoe store. Or shoes for the shower block...

I’m thinking it might be a good shoe store. Or shoes for the shower block...
Thats why we made it originally.
How is yours fixed in? ours just rests in place and recently when I had to brake sharply it went flying forwards, spilling all the contents in the footwell. So any suggestions for fixing without drilling appreciated

I've had the VW -30mm springs on from almost new and covered 43,000 miles on them with no problems. I've also fitted rear spoiler, VW chrome side bars (from new), wind deflectors, VW DRL's, Vanstyle lower grille, Sportline lower lip spoiler/splitter, 18" Canberra wheels, retrofitted bi-xenon headlights and washers, Golf GTI flat bottom steering wheel with paddle shifters, colour MFD instrument cluster, RNS510 sat nav, footwell lights, a cover for the hob and a chrome internal loading strip from a Caravelle Executive. Whilst it's quite a lot of modifications, the van still looks stock/OEM and subtle to me. I'll have it for many years yet.

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

pic2.jpg

Oh the faded VW rear bumper protector has now gone for a nice Van-X carbon/stainless one. Some eagle-eyed folk may notice I also fitted Touareg aluminium pedal covers but the accelerator cover doesn't fit well and fell off....

I've had the VW -30mm springs on from almost new and covered 43,000 miles on them with no problems. I've also fitted rear spoiler, VW chrome side bars (from new), wind deflectors, VW DRL's, Vanstyle lower grille, Sportline lower lip spoiler/splitter, 18" Canberra wheels, retrofitted bi-xenon headlights and washers, Golf GTI flat bottom steering wheel with paddle shifters, colour MFD instrument cluster, RNS510 sat nav, footwell lights, a cover for the hob and a chrome internal loading strip from a Caravelle Executive. Whilst it's quite a lot of modifications, the van still looks stock/OEM and subtle to me. I'll have it for many years yet.

View attachment 58181

View attachment 58182

View attachment 58183

View attachment 58184

View attachment 58185

View attachment 58186
Very tastefully done nice. Like it.

View attachment 58181

View attachment 58182

View attachment 58183

View attachment 58184

View attachment 58185

View attachment 58186
How straightforward was fitting the steering wheel ?
Its the airbag that makes me think its a biggish job.

Did your eggsisting airbag fit into the new wheel ? Or did the golf wheel
airbag plug in with the same socket?

Those are nice mods that you've done, the van looks cool :thumb

How straightforward was fitting the steering wheel ?
Its the airbag that makes me think its a biggish job.

Did your eggsisting airbag fit into the new wheel ? Or did the golf wheel
airbag plug in with the same socket?

Those are nice mods that you've done, the van looks cool :thumb
Hi the steering wheel is straight-forward. As long as you have the battery disconnected. The airbag is also from a Golf GTI, they can still be bought new fromn various sources. The airbag is only held on with two metal 'tabs' at the rear of the steering wheel, if you turn it to 90 degrees and look at the back of the wheel with a mirror you'll see them. A screwdriver can move them to one side so the airbag can pop out. Then unplug the wiring and undo the centre bolt (make sure it is torqued correctly on re-installation). The wheel functions will work perfectly if your existing wheel is a multi-function one, but the paddle shifts needs to be coded in by someone with VCDS software. You don't need to code it first, the paddles just won't work. There's a lot of info on this online. And of course it can all be returned to original if you keep the old wheel (although my old wheel ended up on a friend's Caddy van...)

The wheel and airbag came with it's own internal wiring, I believe they are different. The part number of the Golf GTI wiring loom is 5K0971584C in case you need to source separately but it does plug straight into the steering column wiring.

Thanks for you kind comments about my van :)

USB Install

I have purcheased a number of things for our calie Bluey since we purchased it last year but probably the greaest satasfaction was installing USB sockets.

Our California came without a fitted sat nav and having studied the forums and the experience of others I was undecided as to what to do regarding having one. Options being install a new or used VW version or replace the unit with a Kenwood unit. I also wanted to install a rear view camera etc not an Insignificant amount of money whichever option was chosen.

The decision really became made for me with an other from tomtom on a new GO Premium X model with life time mapping and traffic alerts for a couple of hundred pounds - i have since found out that mapping is free until 2026. This also gave me the option to take it on my travels and my wife prefers tomtom over the garmin unit we have in another car.

The thing that I didn't like being the 12v connection either sticking out of the socket on top of the dash or even worse a lead trailing down from the windscreen to the ashtray socket. Well to my eyes at least.

So I set about installing a usual USB in the dash tray and at the sametime installing additional USB sockets in the dash. The USB sockets and are complete leads and are plugged into two 12v > 5V USB adaptors. The dash USB came pre installed with the two USB sockets and the tray sockey was also in a fitment and I used a dremel tool to make the hole and epoxy to hold it in place. The 12v supply was taken from the cigerette supply on top of the dash with the cables and voltage adapters fitting under the dash tray.

Everything was purchased from either that well know online store that sells everything or the mighty river.

To my eyes at least it looks pretty good and no long trailing leads.

1588258868653.png

1588258620536.png
Tray USB

1588258559983.png

Dash USB's