The Modifications to your Cali Thread

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So I'm getting bored of my plain van. Its time for a change.
What mods have you done...?
What was good, bad or never again. Looking for inspiration really.
I was contemplating different wheels, 18s. But i quite like the original Devonports.

So i am considering lowering via the VW springs route 30mm, then adding wheel spacers to the original alloys to push the wheels out slightly.
Possibly going to add a front splitter too. Another maybe is a tailgate spoiler. Although not sure the T6 needs it, as its the best looking tailgate Volkswagen have made for the transporter to date.

Lets see what you've got going on...:thumb

Last edited:
Sticker bomb? :thumb:confused:

I ran a lowered T5 (B14s) for a long time, glad I’m now back on standard. Roads near me are awful. Just broke another rear spring.

Sticker bomb? :thumb:confused:

I ran a lowered T5 (B14s) for a long time, glad I’m now back on standard. Roads near me are awful. Just broke another rear spring.

That’s good to know.
B14s seem to be raved about on other forums. But I’m sceptical. At the end of the day, it’s a van.
I like the look with 50-60mm drop, but wonder about how practical and comfortable the drop is for everyday driving.
I had a lowered T4 and you could definitely feel more bumps and it was only a modest drop.

Lowered, it looked great, handled better, but the cost is a firmer ride, which does not suit the sort of roads I drive on. If Anything I’d go swamper next time.

Ideally lowering the Cali requires upgraded dampers as well. Reason being lowered springs will be stiffer and the factory dampers will be matched to the softer springs. Note I said ideally.
VW or H&R 30mm springs should be OK with existing dampers. I wouldn't go lower as Cali's can encounter tracks, fields and ridges etc when parking up all needing ground clearance.

Wheel spacers have 2 side effects, 1> due to the wheel centre moving out from the hub the load on the wheel bearings is increased. 2> the front track is increased which alters the steering geometry, this can show up as bump steer when a road bump is it the Cali will try to turn needing correction to maintain travelling straight ahead. Severe cases mean that continuous left and right steering wheel action is required to travel in a straight line.

I have a front splitter (DIY fitment) & Rear spoiler (VW supply etc)

You could go for wider 7.5" or 8" 17" wheels and use your existing tyres, sell the Davenports, for little actual cost.

I’m hoping that by changing to the VW 30mm springs, it will reduce body roll.
Plus look a bit better too.

I’m still not 100% on wheel spacers. Again, I wasn’t looking at going to drastic. I’m sure I saw H&R do some 25mm spacers.

Thanks for the info on spacers, never used a set yet.

Both of these vans stuck with Devonports and used spacers. Although, they were also lowered quite a bit too.
Subtle mods, but look really good, IMO

H&R Antiroll bar (ARB) is well worth the price
Vanstyle will freefit springs and ARB if a 2WD. Won't fit springs to a 4WD ARB only. Bit of a queue for fitting.

You could also get front & rear spoilers fitted FOC.

I always lower on VW -30MM springs 18" wheels, rear tailgate spoiler (don't forget no bike rack with spoiler) so we go for tow bar. front splitter had an ABT on first van Maxton on second and will probably go for a Maxton on our new one. Carbon dipped VW rear bumper protector, bonnet bra (take of regularly and polish the paintwork never had an issue). Carbon dipped mirror caps, dubflectors (hate the look of the VW ones that stick on the outside) dreadful design like the stuck on carbon mirror caps. I like a few discreet stickers i.e. my Nurburgring one on the tailgate (took the first Cali round) not to break the van record though :Stig and Side bars, Inside carpets, step mats seat covers and ant slip worktop protectors plus a shelf from Germany.
I'm sure there's other bits but cant think without looking.
I do agree with Soulstyledeven that Devonport's are a nice wheel just wished they did them in 18" had Springfield's on the last one a mare to clean.

So far just wheels, wind deflectors and debadged grill. To be done are h&r arb, try before thinking about bigger suspension mods, bigger brakes, tints, mudguards, retro fit vanx lights from my previous van and maybe hq headlights (saw them on a few vans at volksworld).
I can't decide if I want a silver stripe along the bottom sides.

That’s good to know.
B14s seem to be raved about on other forums. But I’m sceptical. At the end of the day, it’s a van.
I like the look with 50-60mm drop, but wonder about how practical and comfortable the drop is for everyday driving.
I had a lowered T4 and you could definitely feel more bumps and it was only a modest drop.
T4 is completely different type of drop it’s on torsion bars up front,,, when you lower a t4 it’s a hard ride .....on a t5/6 its Mcphearson struts.if you fit quality your ride will be quality... I ran b14s also ran H&R coil overs both was magic carpet rides

....a few stickers on the rear ...:thumb
It's where you go to with your Cali that maters , not how it looks like .
It's perfect ok as it comes from new ,
my opinion ....

Also on our last new cali I went for the vw fit 30mm they we’re fine you could only tell it was lowered if it was parked next to a standard California.
also the information on spacers is good advice I’d stay away the California is heavy it will destroy wheel bearings

Also on our last new cali I went for the vw fit 30mm they we’re fine you could only tell it was lowered if it was parked next to a standard California.
also the information on spacers is good advice I’d stay away the California is heavy it will destroy wheel bearings

Thanks.
I see your point. Might have to bite the bullet and buy some 18s.
That was option 2.

Just need to find the right set. A lot of the aftermarket alloys don’t suit. I see lots of T6s that would look better on their original wheels.

VW Dakar’s look good, but aren’t cheap

Two tone wrap would make a huge difference. Cant decide what would suit the bottom half of my Indium Grey that isnt black. Maybe a dark red or blue ?

Two tone wrap would make a huge difference. Cant decide what would suit the bottom half of my Indium Grey that isnt black. Maybe a dark red or blue ?

I saw the two tone black/grey in the dealership last year. It looks really good.
Not sure anything else would work with Indium...?
You don’t see many about, I’m guessing because its such an expensive option. I’m sure it was £2.5k...?

I had the red/white on loan last year. It attracted a lot of admiring glances :)

Thanks.
That was option 2.

Just need to find the right set. A lot of the aftermarket alloys don’t suit. I see lots of T6s that would look better on their original wheels.

View attachment 43116
18" wheels are usually wider 8" or 8.5", standard 17" is 7". With the correct tyres fitted an 18" wheel will have the same outer diameter as a 17" one. No change to the vertical wheel arch gap filling only the outer gap between the wheel and wing edge changes.

I'd beware of diamond cut alloys which are the current trend as they show any corrosion and need professional refurbishment to achieve a quality repair, I was quoted £99 +VAT per wheel for Cascavels.

18" wheels are usually wider 8" or 8.5", standard 17" is 7". With the correct tyres fitted an 18" wheel will have the same outer diameter as a 17" one. No change to the vertical wheel arch gap filling only the outer gap between the wheel and wing edge changes.

I'd beware of diamond cut alloys which are the current trend as they show any corrosion and need professional refurbishment to achieve a quality repair, I was quoted £99 +VAT per wheel for Cascavels.

£55 a wheel all in at the place in Derby I use.

Thanks.
That was option 2.

View attachment 43116
That's my mates old van, someone got a stunner with that. We have just got new ones together, let the modding begin.

That's my mates old van, someone got a stunner with that. We have just got new ones together, let the modding begin.

Tell him he did a great job with it.
Nice subtle styling.

I ran 18s on my old T5 self build, then transferred them to my old Cali. Ran them for 8 faultless years before a crack was discovered. However I’m convinced the tyre centre caused the crack. I swear he dropped the wheel, but difficult to prove.

Mk2 Sportslines, always liked this wheel. Bugger to clean.

Hi there,

I lowered 30mm and had HD antiroll bars fitted both via VW
Front spoiler painted & fitted
Rear spoiler candy white already colour coded fitted
Side bars fitted
BBS SX's California 2019.jpg18” wheels and Goodyear tyres
Split colour

Recently had the bonnet and bumper clear wrapped for stone chips, you would never know.

Lowering and wheels make a big difference to appearance but also help on the role on cornering, main reason for HD ARB”s and lowering.

The photo was taken on collection

Hope that’s helpful

Nice subtle styling.

I ran 18s on my old T5 self build, then transferred them to my old Cali. Ran them for 8 faultless years before a crack was discovered. However I’m convinced the tyre centre caused the crack. I swear he dropped the wheel, but difficult to prove.

View attachment 43118

View attachment 43119

I love those wheels but don't fit over the big brakes, Yes he did do a good job, it was identical in spec except for colour and wheels to mine, and we have gone the same way with the new ones.

Nice subtle styling.

View attachment 43118

View attachment 43119
That style doesn't fit the big front brakes. I liked them too, but as they need spacers apparently gave them a miss.