Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Modifications to your Cali Thread

Its funny you should mention the T7 because the chap at Liverpool suggested that the T6.1 is offering lots of standard equipment in prep for the T7 coming in what he thought would be around 3 years time.
I was told by Liverpool you would be able to order the GC in early 19 and they will be in the showrooms by early spring19 so don’t hold your breath

The upstairs beds different better
The canvas is different better
The control panel is different better
The cupboards are different better
The front is different (not sure it’s growing on me)
The colours have expanded
The wheels are different
The dash is different
the led F&r lights are different
Interior colours different
The comfort mattress is different
The bed is different lounge mode.
The emissions are apparently better
There’s only so much you can do to a van size conversion classic layout
"The upstairs beds different better" So they say but has anyone actually slept on one yet? The change is probably more because they are cheaper to produce. Plastic instead of wood.
"The canvas is different better" As far as I can see it's just a different colour.
"The control panel is different better" It's certainly more techy and probably more expensive to repair/replace. Only time will tell if it's better.
"The cupboards are different better" They have different handles, that's about all.
"The front is different (not sure it’s growing on me)" This is purely a matter of personal taste. Personally I don't think they have improved it at all.
"The colours have expanded" There are 14 colour options with the T6-1. The T6 had 18.
"The wheels are different" Some are and they all seem to be the less practical, easily damaged, diamond turned variety.
"The dash is different" It certainly is different!!! Some may like it, some will not.
"The led F&r lights are different" Yes the styling is different but they still do exactly the same job.
"Interior colours different" Standard facelift stuff.
"The comfort mattress is different" I've not read that anywhere. If it is, it will be welcomed. I find it a little on the firm side.
"The bed is different lounge mode". Yes I agree, that is probably the one meaningful improvement to the interior.
"The emissions are apparently better" And so they should be. That probably accounts for the bigger front grill.

So I they have made a few changes on the T6-1 but apart from the better emissions and the lounge mode rear seat none of the rest really strike me as step change meaningful improvements. They have slighly tweeked the recipe but have they improved the cake?

"The upstairs beds different better" So they say but has anyone actually slept on one yet? The change is probably more because they are cheaper to produce. Plastic instead of wood.
"The canvas is different better" As far as I can see it's just a different colour.
"The control panel is different better" It's certainly more techy and probably more expensive to repair/replace. Only time will tell if it's better.
"The cupboards are different better" They have different handles, that's about all.
"The front is different (not sure it’s growing on me)" This is purely a matter of personal taste. Personally I don't think they have improved it at all.
"The colours have expanded" There are 14 colour options with the T6-1. The T6 had 18.
"The wheels are different" Some are and they all seem to be the less practical, easily damaged, diamond turned variety.
"The dash is different" It certainly is different!!! Some may like it, some will not.
"The led F&r lights are different" Yes the styling is different but they still do exactly the same job.
"Interior colours different" Standard facelift stuff.
"The comfort mattress is different" I've not read that anywhere. If it is, it will be welcomed. I find it a little on the firm side.
"The bed is different lounge mode". Yes I agree, that is probably the one meaningful improvement to the interior.
"The emissions are apparently better" And so they should be. That probably accounts for the bigger front grill.

So I they have made a few changes on the T6-1 but apart from the better emissions and the lounge mode rear seat none of the rest really strike me as step change meaningful improvements. They have slighly tweeked the recipe but have they improved the cake?
so your NOT impressed then borris ;).

Last edited:
They have slighly tweeked the recipe but have they improved the cake?
I think that to those who have waited for serious design advances since the T5, VW has said with the T6.1, "Let them eat cake!"

Eibach coilovers -55mm drop.
Mudguards
Shiney side bars.
I was going to change the wheels but decided the 18 inch palmerstons from Vw can stay.
I have a bike rack as well but can’t travel around with it when it’s not being used.
I may go for the pillar blackouts but tbc at the mo.
I love mods. Only just seen this thread as well.:headbang

7DA21BF2-F8BC-497E-A709-5FD92E43FC36.jpeg

Eibach coilovers -55mm drop.
Mudguards
Shiney side bars.
I was going to change the wheels but decided the 18 inch palmerstons from Vw can stay.
I have a bike rack as well but can’t travel around with it when it’s not being used.
I may go for the pillar blackouts but tbc at the mo.
I love mods. Only just seen this thread as well.:headbang

View attachment 53160
Stunning !!!!!
Any feedback now they been fitted a while?are you happy with the suspension.?
Looks like it’s settled well

Last edited:
I’m not sure what going on with Volkswagens design department. But even the Mk8 golf looks rubbish.
First time I’ve never liked a new Golf design, actually wasn’t a fan of the Mk4 either...
The Mk7 was absolutely spot on

FCDE2D4C-5528-4DB7-9733-CE6F88B97012.jpeg

73A28F7B-F887-4D23-8C18-0AE59FBC744B.jpeg

6A3CA582-CD31-4A87-B911-D4E701DD962F.jpeg

3EADA2AA-89F5-489A-9309-68264829F52A.jpeg

I like the red band across the current GTi front which blends into the head lights.
Actually think the Gti looks better than the R

Stunning !!!!!
Any feedback now they been fitted a while?are you happy with the suspension.?
Looks like it’s settled well
Hi @Calicampin
Yes it’s settled well now, that picture was taken with no weight on board, low fuel, water or camping gubbins so when it’s fully loaded it will be fun!!
The coilovers are great in my opinion. It’s a van at the end of the day so it will never be ‘bang on’ ride wise.
You can feel the road a lot more let’s say that, but compared to my Mk2’s on coilovers it’s like a yacht!!
it doesn’t roll as much as it used to on corners and you get no dip or pitch at all when braking or accelerating.
You also have the option to take it back up in half an hour of adjustment if required.
All in all it’s just how I envisaged it to finally be when I picked it up from the dealers nearly two years ago. Time flies.
The missus calls it my barbie house!! Cheek.

Cool
Looking forward to getting my cali
The coilovers have been sat at the dealers now for some time.

I reckon that to make that tilting rear bed thing work they have reduced the space in the boot. By raising the rear shelf I can carry two 80 litre Really Useful boxes when camping. I don’t think there is enough height for them in the T6.1. For me this is a backward step as I’d never use the tilting bed but would 100% use extra boot space.

9813149A-42C1-410F-A4C4-394364329264.png

So I want to change up my front end slightly...
Anyone changed the front grill...?

I would like to get rid of the chrome bits.
Gloss black the two top areas and body colour the bottom one and VW badge.
Wondering if I get my current sprayed or wrapped...?

Would also like a body coloured strip for the lower grill too...?

Finally, the rear badge I would like matched with the front, body coloured.
Advice required...

D65080BA-0D88-460A-A9B0-750AB382808E.jpeg

Advice required...

View attachment 57293
Why change this? Anyway we only see these bars on the roof!
;)

Is this what you are thinking of?

Yes, something along those lines.
Can’t decide wether to keep the VW badge or remove. This grill might be a better option than spraying/wrapping the current grill.

I like what these guys have done...
I’m in the same camp, less is more. Always preferred the subtle mods. They are usually the most effective.

E7DB77DB-8F75-48DD-9D4A-6AF27E93342F.jpeg

@Wesel I have modified all the vans I’ve owned. Usually minor mods. So far I’ve only made changes to the inside of my current California.
It’s time for some external modifications to make it a bit more bespoke.

Advice required...

I have recently vinyl wrapped the upper chrome inserts. Decided to remove the bumper as they were a pain to get off and I didn't want to snap the tabs. Overall very pleased with the result.

So I'm getting bored of my plain van. Its time for a change.
What mods have you done...?
What was good, bad or never again. Looking for inspiration really.
I was contemplating different wheels, 18s. But i quite like the original Devonports.

So i am considering lowering via the VW springs route 30mm, then adding wheel spacers to the original alloys to push the wheels out slightly.
Possibly going to add a front splitter too. Another maybe is a tailgate spoiler. Although not sure the T6 needs it, as its the best looking tailgate Volkswagen have made for the transporter to date.

Lets see what you've got going on...:thumb

View attachment 43087
Looks stunning to me.

I have recently vinyl wrapped the upper chrome inserts. Decided to remove the bumper as they were a pain to get off and I didn't want to snap the tabs. Overall very pleased with the result.

Any pics @RSMarco