Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Modifications to your Cali Thread

£55 a wheel all in at the place in Derby I use.
I could find cheaper but that was for full paint strip then priming, painting, lacquer and baking with a warranty. I thought cost was too close to a set of new wheels to justify.

I could find cheaper but that was for full paint strip then priming, painting, lacquer and baking with a warranty. I thought cost was too close to a set of new wheels to justify.
I had one Bi-Dakar done to a high standard. just need another three now.

I would ditch the mudflaps, lower it, get some sidebars added
then choose some 18 inch wheels to start with.

Be wary with wheel spacers, a lot of insurers will void their cover if fitted, (at least they used to when I was a lad!), and they should be told of any 'mods' from factory standard or they will try and use it as a 'get out' of covering claims...

Last time I looked at load rated van alloys. There weren’t much to choose from. Rimstyle seem to have a lot for sale these days, although they don’t specify the rating.

Always had a soft spot for these Borbets since the original Sportline.

These look interesting. I think would suit Indium, but would need cleaning constantly...
Bayern Rapp. Although they are 9.5 wide. Not sure if they would be to wide and might cause issues with the rear sliding door?

I would ditch the mudflaps, lower it, get some sidebars added
then choose some 18 inch wheels to start with.
I always spec mud flaps from the factory, I think the black contrast against most colours complements the look, but the main reason is stones, I think if every vehicle on the road had mud flaps their would be less cracked or broken windscreens. I gained a cracked screen last week on the A42 on my Caddy, the car in front drifted onto the centre reservation and kicked up debris. They also protect your paintwork as well.

So I'm getting bored of my plain van. Its time for a change.
What mods have you done...?
What was good, bad or never again. Looking for inspiration really.
I was contemplating different wheels, 18s. But i quite like the original Devonports.

So i am considering lowering via the VW springs route 30mm, then adding wheel spacers to the original alloys
I was contemplating different wheels, 18s. But i quite like the original Devonports.

So i am considering lowering via the VW springs route 30mm, then adding wheel spacers to the original alloys to push the wheels out slightly.
Possibly going to add a front splitter too. Another maybe is a tailgate spoiler. Although not sure the T6 needs it, as its the best looking tailgate Volkswagen have made for the transporter to date.

Lets see what you've got going on...:thumb

View attachment 43087

to push the wheels out slightly.
Possibly going to add a front splitter too. Another maybe is a tailgate spoiler. Although not sure the T6 needs it, as its the best looking tailgate Volkswagen have made for the transporter to date.

View attachment 43087
I would like, ... a sensibly priced T5.1 aftermarket, add blue kit, ... if, it would get me into the pending city diesel exclusion zones FOC ... There are locations under my van were a 2 gallon add blue tank could be stashed, were the filler tidily goes might be more of a challenge ...

I would like, ... a sensibly priced T5.1 aftermarket, add blue kit, ... if, it would get me into the pending city diesel exclusion zones FOC ... There are locations under my van were a 2 gallon add blue tank could be stashed, were the filler tidily goes might be more of a challenge ...
I bet its not as easy as just adding a tank, kit. I'm sure an expert will comment soon.

Adblue doesn't actually reduce emissions on it's own, part of the complete engine and exhaust Euro 6 package.
You'd have to do a complete engine, exhaust and management system swap to achieve Euro 6 spec.

Weird.
I would like a modification to remove the PITA system...

I picked up my new California Ocean yesterday and it has noticeably bigger front disc calipers, now there is hardly any space between the wheel and caliper and it may make swapping wheels a bit more problematic.

I picked up my new California Ocean yesterday and it has noticeably bigger front disc calipers, now there is hardly any space between the wheel and caliper and it may make swapping wheels a bit more problematic.
17" minimum wheel diameter.

Sorry I wasn't specific, my new Ocean has noticeably bigger discs than my my 2016 Ocean.

Sorry I wasn't specific, my new Ocean has noticeably bigger discs than my my 2016 Ocean.
The Bigger brakes were a £100 option but now standard equipment, which is a positive move which means the 150 is over braked great for towing. Just means 17" wheels and larger fit except the second gen sport line alloys.

Last edited:

So i am considering lowering via the VW springs route 30mm, then adding wheel spacers to the original alloys to push the wheels out slightly.

View attachment 43087
Where to start? 18” black Sportline alloys; aftermarket headlamps with LED DRLs; side decals; smoked rear led lights; K&M Street Comfort Coilovers; led side repeaters; re-sprayed awning in satin black; leatherette seat covers (Cali Club Shop); front and rear carbon fibre badges ... I should probably stop there ;0)

7628E551-1704-4566-A189-71E0F555FC9A.jpeg

E89D8E4A-7505-4D07-AE07-7F4349C7771D.jpeg

Where to start? 18” black Sportline alloys; aftermarket headlamps with LED DRLs; side decals; smoked rear led lights; K&M Street Comfort Coilovers; led side repeaters; re-sprayed awning in satin black; leatherette seat covers (Cali Club Shop); front and rear carbon fibre badges ... I should probably stop there ;0)

View attachment 43199

View attachment 43200
I presume you mean K&W coilovers. How do you like them? Improved comfort and handling?

I presume you mean K&W coilovers. How do you like them? Improved comfort and handling?

Yes, sorry, K&W coilovers. You’ve really got to get the rebound damping just right - too much and you can transfer the rebound into the tyres and get a little rapid oscillation when you stamp on the brakes. Once set up though they really enhance the stability and steering response - hardly any body roll, even with standard anti roll bars. I’ve dropped the ride height by 50mm but the Street Comforts are designed to maintain a comfortable ride throughout the variable height setting - I believe I could get another 50mm of drop but that’s not the look I am going for. All in all, very pleased with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, sorry, K&W coilovers. You’ve really got to get the rebound damping just right - too much and you can transfer the rebound into the tyres and get a little rapid oscillation when you stamp on the brakes. Once set up though they really enhance the stability and steering response - hardly any body roll, even with standard anti roll bars. I’ve dropped the ride height by 50mm but the Street Comforts are designed to maintain a comfortable ride throughout the variable height setting - I believe I could get another 50mm of drop but that’s not the look I am going for. All in all, very pleased with them.

Thanks for your reply. You clearly like them. How easy are they to adjust? Wheels off I presume.

Not sure if I’m honest. My mechanic at the excellent Moorfield German Motors fitted them for me. But in all likelihood wheels off one at a time adjusting height via large locking rings nuts, counting the turns as you go and checking the ride height when she’s back on the tarmac.

When setting the ride height with adjustable coilovers the one thing most people forget to do (me included initially) is to have the vehicle loaded with driver, passenger and whatever is normally carried. Up to a 25mm drop with those included isn't unusual.

I still can’t decide what avenue to go down yet.
One big problem is wheels.
18s look small on the T6. But I know they will be the most practical.
Wondering about going for the Bilstein kit and sticking with the Devonports.

I am also considering VW lowering springs on just the front. I had my old T4 nose down and thought it looked spot on. I would have thought 30mm rake look would be decent.
Anyone come across anyone who has done this with a T6...?