Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Up is the new Down

NRDSRFR

NRDSRFR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I’m in the process of making my 2006 SE 2.5 more off-road capable, without going too crazy considering it’s 2wd and I am realistically on the road most of the time...

I have already fitted new wheels and semi AT tyres at 235/65/R17 which are a little larger overall than before due to the large sidewall.
9fda603ce716f3db8a6173cbae854065.jpg

First issue...This has caused the sliding door to actually rub on the tyre for the last 5 inches or so, but it still opens and locks in place. Looks like raising will reduce negative camber and get it to clear, but raise by how much? read on
770257fcac981afdd400cc0e4844237d.jpg

I had a look to confirm the suspension, which I knew was lowered already by the previous owner. The springs I think are VW code 677 (Eibach?) 30mm lowering springs and the shocks say 2015, (I think they are Sachs made VW units?) so I guess they were put on with the lowering springs and aren’t nearly as old as the van.
8851aa4a84e134f9b654b85acefeaa50.jpg

4beae791846260ff667e8be64e432bee.jpg

I think a good start is to return the van to at least stock ride height, but hoping not to waste money if I end up needing to go higher again

I want to retain a decent handling feel on the road, but be able to tackle unpaved roads like below without either wallowing or bottoming out and bouncing everywhere. stuff like this as a start this past weekend
a83047e51a655694dc84fbb3751ea392.jpg

Last summer I clocked 55 hours behind the wheel over 3 weeks through Europe with wife, 2 kids, 3 bikes, 3 surfboards, roof box with hexaway awning, lots of wine, you get the idea...FULLY LADEN, so I also want on-road highway manners to deal with this well for our big annual trips.
c46131e93b00113cd02292b4bd90ded5.file

I read about anti roll bars and it sounds like they may help on-road, but may create more off road wallowing by connecting both sides of the suspension...is that an accurate understanding of the trade-off?

Hopefully that describes my requirements enough for your expert advice. The original stock springs (**not** what’s fitted now) were codes 0JE / 0YD on my sticker, which apparently are 1 grey+1 green front and 1 white rear.

I have a friend who has offered me his unused 2016 T30 Kombi springs since he lowered his from new, which are 2 grey+1 green and waiting to hear tomorrow on the rears are 1 blue + 1 yellow.
I also have an offer from a CC member who has some stock springs same fronts and 2 white rear which are also code 0YD on post 2011 vans according to parts sites, which show my 1 white as the pre-2011 version. I have searched around for the spring colour codes and have the link to check them but the info isn’t that useful, i guess an extra grey mark means they are slightly more heavy duty?!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a question; is bothering only with stock height springs a good first port of call, or should I be looking at replacing the shocks at the same time so I don’t waste money redoing it if I’ll likely not get the result I’m after?

I’ve read that Bilstein B6s improve handling, Koni’s maybe even “better”, whatever that actually means. I’m not sure if they pair with stock springs though or are even suitable for my semi-off road purposes. Most people seem to fit them for better handling when lowered for road only.

I’m aware of the Seikel kit which exists with various shock options which can lift above stock height, which would potentially look pretty cool given I’m going somewhat down the “swamper” route, but perhaps not necessary for my actual needs.

Thoughts and advice please! Let me know what I haven’t covered, I’ve learned all this in the past week to try not to sound like a total clueless time waster!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There is a lift kit from eibach that gives a 35mm lift. That's not to much and probably cheaper than seikel.

My 4Motion has 245/65 17 on standard suspension and there is no rub when you open the sliding door. There is little clearance between the tyres and the rear of the wheel arch at the back. I think my overall height with these tyres makes me just over 2m so on standard suspension, you may also tip over 2m. I would happily go for a lift on mine but to answer your question, standard suspension should give you what you’re looking for. Correct handling on road and good traction off road.
F1DF071A-6BA3-422C-B537-78A2C08775E6.jpeg

Interesting read, would air suspension be something to consider? With an adjustable ride height to suit the particular driving style you need at the time?

Are the wheel widths / offsets the same in the two eggs above?

Interesting read, would air suspension be something to consider? With an adjustable ride height to suit the particular driving style you need at the time?

I did read about the VB air suspension. it sounds amazing but is priced about 4X a good set of shocks and springs. my van is a 2006 with just over 200,000km so that solution feels disproportionately costly given the van i have. I would consider it if I had a newer van (and I have been looking), but the niggles on my van are so minor and nothing functionally significant has been added in 15 years that its tough to justify.

I do prefer having a left-hand drive now that I own one, and I have been considering getting a newer true 5.1 with 4motion which is the only thing I really wish mine had.
bookmarked this as an upgrade and contacted the seller to see if it has a diff lock but I haven’t heard back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sad
Update: the rear springs I got from my friend are marked with 1 yellow + 1 blue. I looked it up at think it's part 7E0511115N which according to this site says it can replace 0YB, 0YC (among many others) but not 0YD as my original spec.

Is this likely "good enough"? I've read the weight ratings may only vary by around 50kg per increment and I bet that's the weight of the 5th seat I never have in the van.

There was a 0YC code available for a 2006 van, which relates to 4 pink marks back then...

Do these types of mods affect your insurance or is it just a case of notifying them?