Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 VW California Delays

5dr and Speleo62, can I ask what you're both waiting for? Are these Oceans or Beaches?

Think this guy is going to get very busy!!! We ordered ours Dec 16th and told build date wk 12 which then went to wk 8 and now told wk 17!! We have a euro tunnel booked for end of June which looks like we are not going to be able to use. Think an email coming his way. What queries did you have that he was able to answer
Initially it was regarding delivery dates going back. Then he helped answer lots of options queries such as window tints, mechanical diff locks, the Dynaudio system etc that were not clear in the options. I know he is about to go on holiday though until the start of March. Good luck. I think 6 months for an Ocean probably is about right considering factory capacity

A recurring theme! It can't be a coincidence, I'm sure of it, but it must be frustrating that no-one seems to be able to give you a straight answer. I'm waiting for a Beach and have had no news, which is neither a good or a bad thing because me not hearing any news doesn't mean that there isn't any.

Anyway, I hope your situations improve!

My Ocean 204 DSG 4motion was confirmed for build week 6 a few weeks ago. That's this week so I'm hoping its in the factory now. Haven't heard anything so I'm assuming no news is good news.

Are build dates normally fixed once they are confirmed?

We've had a build week of 19 quoted for an Ocean 204 DSG ordered in Jan - only provisional though. Reading the info posted that must be the base van, so thinking maybe allow another 8 weeks or so for the camper build, shipping, PDI etc.

Our initial unconfirmed wk12 build date, which then improved to week 8 came from the VW dealer Portal (see attached screenshot the dealer sent me), so would have come from VW's MRP system and their master prodution schedule. These are driven by order entries, capacity utilisation, component stock levels and delivery lead times of replenishment stock. Car manufacturers work on a Just In Time (JIT) manufacturing process, so hold minimal stock of components to reduce their stock holding costs. They would hold from a few hours stock to a day or two's stock at most, which is great until one of their 1000's of suppliers in the complex supply chain has a problem and doesn't deliver, then everything just stops.

I expect this why the unconfirmed build dates keep changing as shortages occur and are then resloved.

From what the dealer has told me once your build status moves from uncomfirmed (10) to confirmed (20 i think) then you should be 95% confident it wont change again. So fingers crossed they are building yours this week. I would chase your dealer and get him to send you a screen shot of your order status so you can see for youself.

Trying to be patient and not get to stressed as the California is a fantastic vehicle and worth the wait, just a shame that we have to deal with VW who are a complete shambles.

Capture.PNG

I get it, but this jazzing arround with delivery dates seems new to me. I have ordered new Bmw's, Audis and Volvos and I have almost always got it a week before the scheduled delivery (maybe dealer who adds an extra week on the delivery information).

Information from Sweden: Order my Ocean 150 hp manuell, in beginning of december.
Build last week and now on way from Hannover and probably delivery in three weeks ☺

I wonder if some dealers in the uk have misled you when ordering? Reading german forums shows that an order in December is from the first day set to be delivered in june and not the short times you have been given intitially.
If anything the right hand drive models should have even longer delivery dates
I don't think it's the dealers - seems to be VW mucking them around too. I ordered at the start of November - 204 Ocean DSG with a stack of options. The dealer estimated March / April build. When the order was accepted onto the VW system it showed a scheduled build in week 5. Then I have a screenshot showing week 4 confirmed build date. The problem is it still says that but it is now the end of week 7. When the dealer chased VW he was told that my Cali is 'in production' - whatever that means!

I don't think it's the dealers - seems to be VW mucking them around too. I ordered at the start of November - 204 Ocean DSG with a stack of options. The dealer estimated March / April build. When the order was accepted onto the VW system it showed a scheduled build in week 5. Then I have a screenshot showing week 4 confirmed build date. The problem is it still says that but it is now the end of week 7. When the dealer chased VW he was told that my Cali is 'in production' - whatever that means!

This is week 6 isn't it?

This is week 6 isn't it?[/QUOTDealer
Dealer advised that my build week was Week 4 - w/c 18 Jan. Which makes this week 7. Aparently because the first of Jan was a Friday that was week 1 - although I can't imagine much was built that week!

The good news for me is that I have now had confirmation that my Cali build was completed on Weds. So the build (for an Ocean) took 3 1/2 weeks from the start of the confirmed build week. Apparently 3 - 5 weeks build period is normal for an Ocean. It's now on the way to the port (presumably Hamburg) and expected at the dealers in the first week of March.

Time to book the early April meet :D.

Anyone who has ordered a DSG is on for more sorrow as it has just been announced they have run out of stock of the gearbox, not only California but Multivan and Transporter.
Not sure where this rumour has come from. My dealer advised today that the ONLY Cali components that are in shortage are some of the alloy wheel options. My Cali build was completed on Weds of this week with a DSG gearbox.

Ordered ours in September and had confirmation today that we are built and in the port waiting to start the journey to the UK. So our promised delivery date of 1st March seems highly likely. No problems for us now for the April meeting where we can try everything out for real. It's been a long wait but only the start of our journey. All very excited here.

I spoke to Preston VW and mine has a provisional week 9 build and is now confirmed, so should commence in two weeks or so. Still therefore looking at a roughly mid-April collection. Guy did advise that Calis are taking about 2 weeks extra to build (not sure why or what this means), but that April was still looking good.

There is lots of inconsistency to say the least.

P.S. Mine is a 150 Beach DSG

Last edited:
Have just had confirmed build date week 10 & delivery possibly mid April.
Originally told end of May/June.
What a great surprise to the start of the week. Sunshine too.

Have just had confirmed build date week 10 & delivery possibly mid April.
Originally told end of May/June.
What a great surprise to the start of the week. Sunshine too.
Great news for you. Week 10 is w/c 29 Feb. It takes 3 - 5 weeks to build an Ocean (mine took 3 1/2 ) and 3 - 4 weeks for shipping and transportation. So 6 - 9 weeks from confirmed build week. Mid April might be slightly optomistic but it shouldn't be far away from that.

Are you sure? Both my print and my Outlook calenders say Week 10 is w/c 7 March
Our dealer said week 10 was March.
Main thing is we may have our Cali earlier than expected. We were thinking it was going to be June .
Super excited x

Are you sure? Both my print and my Outlook calenders say Week 10 is w/c 7 March
Only going by what dealer told me - that my build week was week 4 - w/c 18 January. I did query it but he was adamant that because 1 Jan was a Friday that was week 1 in the mystical world of VW.

But hey - what difference does a week make when you've waited several months :)

Last edited:
Question for those who have collected their T6s. Do you know how long it took from build complete to arriving at the dealer. Mine was completed on 9 Feb but is still at Emden awaiting shipment to the UK. I'm told it could take a week to clear customs so unlikely to be with the dealer for a while yet. Looks like 1 March pick-up will be missed :-(. But as long as I've got it for Easter I'll be happy.

Mine was ordered 2nd Sept, built week commencing 11th January and arrived in UK port 27th January. Checked with the dealer this week (16th Feb) and they are still UNABLE to tell me when it will arrive with them. Due for collection 1st March, but again, dealer now saying they can't commit to that as they don't know when the van will arrive... So, if yours is on a similar timeline Dmailer you'll be looking at 1st April collection earliest...
I'll update the site as soon as I know it's arrived at dealer.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Ours took three weeks to get from the UK port and to be ready at the dealer, for people collecting 1st March you will have delays as EVERYONE else will be wanting to pick up at the same time as you

Back