Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swop Hymer Blue Evo for Ocean

Not sure. What I can confirm, for sleeping it does help cool the van. In fact last night I had to get up switch it off and grab another blanket.
Not sure.
What I can confirm, for sleeping it does help cool the van. In fact last night I had to get up switch it off and grab another blanket.
Another blanket? Where are you camping?
We are having our last two nights in Comilas northern Spain still warm at night but a lot cooler than Barcelona.
Bit of a disappointing end, last night stayed on a great Aire 4 euro for 24hrs complete with seaview in a fantastic location.
If your ever in Northan Spain Tapia de Casariego is highly recommended.
Tonight in comillas £50 plus a night without ehu and mediacre facilities.

PXL_20230730_135546540.jpg

PXL_20230730_202127968.jpg

Purchased Wave 2 before this trip, £1600!
After watching Vanlife recommendation.
All I can say, in Carcassonne it was 29°c late afternoon, inside van temp 31.7°c. after running for 1hr 8mins temp reduced to 30°c indicated fully charged battery run time was only 2.8 hrs.
Yes the unit did push out air at 20°c, 10° below outside air temperature but the unit its self generated that much heat it couldn't cool interior temperature at all, infact at one point it increased.
Used with windows and pop top closed to reduce area needing cooling.
Considering the cost of these units they really need to produce effective results.
To be fair to the supplier they have agreed a return without question.
Thermodynamics 2nd law … you can’t reduce the entropy of an isolated system (I’m approximating a closed van with a cooler inside to an isolated system - excuse me).
You need an external heat exchanger to effectively cool a closed space

Has anyone fitted roof channels / bars to the elevating roof on the Hymer?

There’s a guy on Instagram fitted a full rack system to his. His is the Merc.
I’m pretty sure it’s possible and something I will need to do if I keep the van longterm. There’re channels either side of the canvas, where rails could be fitted. I’m just waiting on @HowieDog to try first… ;)

@Wondering Star north Pyrenees

IMG_9135.jpeg

Thermodynamics 2nd law … you can’t reduce the entropy of an isolated system (I’m approximating a closed van with a cooler inside to an isolated system - excuse me).
Doesn't quite say that in Ecoflow's marketing material.

The Wave 2 effectively has an external heat exchanger it just happens to be inside the box with it relying on external ducted air.

To me it feels like its working round the wrong way, to be far more efficient you need the box ( which itself gets hot - so warming up the van) sitting outside the van with the ducts drawing van air into the unit & blowing cold air back into the van.

The Wave 2 effectively has an external heat exchanger it just happens to be inside the box with it relying on external ducted air.

To me it feels like its working round the wrong way, to be far more efficient you need the box ( which itself gets hot - so warming up the van) sitting outside the van with the ducts drawing van air into the unit & blowing cold air back into the van.
Agree, but security of the expensive device might be problematic?

I’m pretty sure it’s possible and something I will need to do if I keep the van longterm. There’re channels either side of the canvas, where rails could be fitted. I’m just waiting on @HowieDog to try first… ;)

View attachment 112282
Great, on the pop top, looks like there is more than enough space outside of the canvas to allow fixings, without risking damage to the canvas.If this is where the channels sit then it’s easy!

I did it on our old T4 using a flat rail similar to the Cali and attached with wellnuts (used in canoes for pull straps etc, so very strong).

Our next van looking to be a Merc Hymer camping car, as the Mrs would like a shower/toilet.

Agree, but security of the expensive device might be problematic?
Agree about the security, wouldn't take long for the £600 battery to go missing.
When running the extraction pipe gets so hot it actually turns into a mini radiator.

PXL_20230716_135826384.jpg

Great, on the pop top, looks like there is more than enough space outside of the canvas to allow fixings, without risking damage to the canvas.If this is where the channels sit then it’s easy!

I did it on our old T4 using a flat rail similar to the Cali and attached with wellnuts (used in canoes for pull straps etc, so very strong).

Our next van looking to be a Merc Hymer camping car, as the Mrs would like a shower/toilet.

Exactly that. Can’t see what the channels are for, other than mounting a rail system…?
It’s something I need to measure.
The roof on Hymers are SCA.

The Merc is a big unit. The 4x4 are huge.
Apparently Hymer have signed a deal with Volkswagen to convert Crafters. Could be worth waiting and seeing what they do :thumb

Btw, yeah the wife will love life with a toilet/shower. Although we haven’t needed to use the shower yet, the toilet has been a game changer, plus it’s somewhere to store wet stuff

Last edited:

View attachment 112282
The channels appear to be either inside the canvas or VERY close to it. I may mount them a bit further out. Vanscape do a kit that could work or alternatively frontrunner for the universal track and bars.

I understand wanting to fit a roof rack, however one the the biggest changes when moving from a T6 to a poptop GCS is the height and how it effects the drive.
These are tall vehicles with a relatively narrow track effected by even moderate cross winds and air disturbance when passing commerical vehicles at speed. GCS has side wind assist and yes it does need it. Quite unnerving when deployed, braking one side of the vehicle to pull it back into line.
When passing trucks at speed 120kms you almost have to counter steer against the disturbed air.
Recently 4x4 GCS models have been recalled to limit max speed to 120kms.
Adding a rack with luggage will make matters worse.
Ok if you want to travel slowly but not for me when covering miles quickly on the toll roads of Europe.

I understand wanting to fit a roof rack, however one the the biggest changes when moving from a T6 to a poptop GCS is the height and how it effects the drive.
These are tall vehicles with a relatively narrow track effected by even moderate cross winds and air disturbance when passing commerical vehicles at speed. GCS has side wind assist and yes it does need it. Quite unnerving when deployed, braking one side of the vehicle to pull it back into line.
When passing trucks at speed 120kms you almost have to counter steer against the disturbed air.
Ok if you want to travel slowly but not for me when covering miles quickly on the toll roads of Europe.
Interesting, in the 540 on the Fiat we really haven't noticed that effect and have driven over 16000 miles in the last 12 month including trips to the Alps and Spain.

It may be that the Ducato with a wider track front and rear, and a roofline that's about 15cm lower than the GCS is less impacted by crosswinds.

I first checked out a Merc Free Blue Evo, it looked and felt a lot taller than the Fiat.
At the time it was too big for us. Major step up from a California to that 6m Mercedes.

I concur with Howiedog, I’ve not felt much difference with crosswinds to the California. Granted it catches the wind a bit more on bridges etc, but nothing un-nerving.

With a fully loaded Cali, 2 e-bikes and a child’s bike sitting on the towbar, I would cruise at 125kph. No e-bikes 132kph.
In the loaded Fiat with bikes, I cruise at 115kph and accelerate when needed to 130kph if I need to overtake and rear traffic is approaching.

Last edited:
Interesting, in the 540 on the Fiat we really haven't noticed that effect and have driven over 16000 miles in the last 12 month including trips to the Alps and Spain.

It may be that the Ducato with a wider track front and rear, and a roofline that's about 15cm lower than the GCS is less impacted by crosswinds.
Seen loads of 4x4 hymer up here and they are very tall big chunk of van being 6m long. My joker wasn’t to bad in cross wind.
They do look great just wish they had done the boot like the Sven to carry mtb side on.

Last time I looked they were £90k-£95k that was long ago for 4x4 cheaper if you want a 2person no poptop

About £120 with the pop up roof, but is 4WD, has a ton of Lithium and solar, and it comes with an Axe!

For similar money you can get the crossover MLT which I do think is much better value for money.

This is a GCS with a few extra toys...blackadventurevan on Insta...

Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 21.29.25.png

About £120 with the pop up roof, but is 4WD, has a ton of Lithium and solar, and it comes with an Axe!

For similar money you can get the crossover MLT which I do think is much better value for money.

View attachment 112325

He’s spent a fortune on that…
Would love to know the total cost of all the extras fitted, winch, racks systems, lights, wheels/tyres etc etc etc…

The Palmo’s are insane money.

Yes lots I suspect! Although bespoke 4x4 off road vans are very very expensive. Vanworx Matrix without many option is over £130k. Cn easily spend £200k+ without trying too hard. for a full on adventure vehicle if that's your thing.

I've always liked the Krug Expedition vehicles but I don't think it would work well as a second car...

View attachment 112325
I thought I recognised the number plate, used to be on a Cali. Nice wagon, great upgrade for sure!

IMG_0229.jpeg

Back