Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California or Hymer T5 Dilemma

Interesting bit of info reported in the Caravan Club magazine, but confirmed by a quick visit to the Ford DE web site - the Nugget is being marketed, in Germany at least, as a Ford not a Westfalia. Guess they've decided to get a bit of the action in the Cali market

briwy said:
Best tip we got was on the Kyham stand. Connecting our Motordome awning to the roll out awning on the Cali by using figure of eights by just opening the awning slightly and fixing to the top edge.
Beats messing about with the Kador strip in the slot under the awning and gives a bit more height.
Hmm interesting...they told me to just get the kador strip and didn't mention the figure of eights...is there any difference between the beach (which I'm getting) and the SE? - I wouldn't have thought so, but just wondering why they didn't mention the fig of 8 to me? Or is that just an alternative fixing method?

The figure of 8 allows you to attach the kader piece that you will be connecting to the roll out awning to the sewn in kader belonging to the airbeam.
This way you won't have to struggle to feed the sewn in kader to the van. Instead the figure of 8 (or shot gun extrusion as its also known) attaches the airbeam to the strip of kader on the van.

I'm sure this will all make much more sense when I have the van and can actually see it for myself and have a try doing it. Actually I must watch the youtube video for the motordome again as that was quite helpful too! Thanks for the info!

Hi guys we have been looking at Cali's for the past few months and went to the NEC too. Did anyone else see the Hillside conversions and like them? We are really torn as we didn't realise at the time but Hillside are fairly local to us. I love the idea of a Cali but i can't help but think the Hillside (Birchover i think it was?) seems better quality materials. We didn't like the Hymer at all as many on here say purely because of the bed situation.

One of our cousins has a Birchover conversion and is very happy with it.
They admit it's not as versatile as the Cali though, fixed seat/bed which would be a hassle to get out if you want to use it to cart stuff around.
No easy access to the bed in the roof unlike the Cali where the cab roof is cut away.
I don't think you can access the fridge with the bed down either unlike the Cali but the fridge door storage is a neat idea.
Other than that it's pretty much the same as most of the other conversions around.
Theirs does have a hot water heater with an outlet at the back for plugging a shower in though if that is something you want.

We didn't go to the NEC but we viewed both Hillside and leisure drive at a local stockist.
Neither of the interior fitments came anywhere near the quality of the Cali. in our opinion.
However, the layouts and the items on offer are more varied.
The Cali. has lots of vehicle extras, e.g. Xenons, etc. if required, but is very inflexible re. the camping fitments. (I find this surprising but it is the way it is).
We gave yet to see a Bilbos in the flesh.
When we do we will decide Cali. or Bilbos.

rodd said:
Hi guys we have been looking at Cali's for the past few months and went to the NEC too. Did anyone else see the Hillside conversions and like them? We are really torn as we didn't realise at the time but Hillside are fairly local to us. I love the idea of a Cali but i can't help but think the Hillside (Birchover i think it was?) seems better quality materials. We didn't like the Hymer at all as many on here say purely because of the bed situation.

We had looked at Hillside conversions at the St Leaonards VW Kamper centre (near Bournemouth) several times and indeed could cite them as one of the main reasons we decided to get a camper van. The Hillside conversions looked okay but the more we looked the more fault we found. Often the base vehicle was lacking, sometimes we wondered if it had been properly cleaned out before conversion with dirty hinges etc. But in the end the reason we did not go for a Hillside conversion were actually pretty minor. For me sitting inside in the back my head would touch the ceiling so as a day vehicle it was lacking and for my wife the rather neat curved front fridge cabinet that opens to present a couple of slim shelves was leaving distinct marks on the floor. The sale chap, Matthew however was decent and the vans do look good from the outside. From there one day we popped into the VW Centre (Breeze) and the rather bland interior of the Cali was of such a markedly higher quality that we rather forgot, or ignored, the Hillside conversions.

Andy

Ambler said:
We didn't go to the NEC but we viewed both Hillside and leisure drive at a local stockist.
Neither of the interior fitments came anywhere near the quality of the Cali. in our opinion.
However, the layouts and the items on offer are more varied.
The Cali. has lots of vehicle extras, e.g. Xenons, etc. if required, but is very inflexible re. the camping fitments. (I find this surprising but it is the way it is).
We gave yet to see a Bilbos in the flesh.
When we do we will decide Cali. or Bilbos.

Bilbo's are nice vans, a serious contender to the Cali, and we considered them as strong competition. The company will take trade ins (vehicles up to 7 years old) and the vehicles we saw were well put together and thought out (apart from the silly side raising roof). However try and price a like for like specification and the Bilbo often works out to cost more than the Cali. At the NEC show seeing the new Bilbo's are good camper vans just not good enough to make us worry that the Cali was the right choice and the Cali has a far better support network in the forums.

Andy

We thought the RIB bed in the Hillside was more comfortable in the seating position than the cali but as said, it is fixed. I don't think this would be a problem for us though as it would still have more usable space than any car. We prefered the manual SCA roof too. The shower hookup in the back would be handy for hosing down the dog and muddy boots etc. There are no blinds in the Hillside but the curtains did look fairly thick and dark, not sure how effective they'd be at blocking out the light but screens can be bought if its a problem. I preferred the table in the Cali and the chairs in the tailgate are a great idea too.

Other than the blinds and moveable seats, what other benefits does the cali have over the Hillside?
We aren't too fussed about the tailgate vs barn door argument, there are pros and cons for each but Hillside say they'd build the camper around any spec van we choose anyway, which will probably be a 140 with aircon, parking sensors etc. All said though, my heart says Cali but my mind says conversion. :headbang

Cali has the best quality materials and engineering.
Chairs in tail gate and table in sliding door and kitchen units constructed from aluminium means light weight and use of all available space.
The roof is the cleanest aesthetically and motorised.
The rear seat being movable has its benefits like the variotech.
Residuals better than conversions.

Had a quick look at the Hillside Birchover. Mmmmm 40k for 102bhp t5 not good. Also note front drivers seat doesnt rotate and would clash with kitchen. Curtains.....

In my opionion if you are willing to spend 40k then it has to be a california.

and just to throw in a googlie..
anyone check out Rolling Homes T5? Very very nice...even builds in the cali tailgate chairs and holder and have adapted the side panel to take the Cali table...manual roof is very good too not like usual Reimo et al at all..
very good build quality throughout...lots of neat touches....I really liked it..but it still is not a Cali and nothing comes close to me...
Interesting that VW are now supplying big boys with T5s to convert..till last year twas inly the smaller companies...

David Eccles said:
and just to throw in a googlie..
anyone check out Rolling Homes T5? Very very nice...even builds in the cali tailgate chairs and holder and have adapted the side panel to take the Cali table...manual roof is very good too not like usual Reimo et al at all..
very good build quality throughout...lots of neat touches....I really liked it..but it still is not a Cali and nothing comes close to me...
Interesting that VW are now supplying big boys with T5s to convert..till last year twas inly the smaller companies...

Didn't spend any time this year, but have checked it out thoroughly in the past. Very attractive and has a lot of the clean design feel of the Cali

It's a Westy conversion but you buy it through Merc Dealers
I think Westfalia is part of the Mercedes now.
Ron.

pie27uk said:
Cali has the best quality materials and engineering.
Chairs in tail gate and table in sliding door and kitchen units constructed from aluminium means light weight and use of all available space.
The roof is the cleanest aesthetically and motorised.
The rear seat being movable has its benefits like the variotech.
Residuals better than conversions.

Had a quick look at the Hillside Birchover. Mmmmm 40k for 102bhp t5 not good. Also note front drivers seat doesnt rotate and would clash with kitchen. Curtains.....

In my opionion if you are willing to spend 40k then it has to be a california.

We, too are going round in circles discussing the pro and cons of Cali and conversions. I agree with most of the above quote for the Cali but I still keep wondering if it isn't better to pay more and go with the less streamlined insides of an approved conversion with SE motorhome base and full European whole vehicle type approval, since in 10 years time I will still be able to buy replacement individual components to replace ageing ones. I would also be able to take it to any caravan workshop for the work to be done if we couldn't do it ourself. The electrics are handled by control units which are used in thousands of caravans, fridges are available from different manufactures and the roof is manual.
I worry that the control panel in the Cali runs everything and that the kitchen is one piece.
To add more to the dilemma, there is also the alternative of lovely T5 with all the bells and whistles we want in the base vehicle, but in long wheel base, providing a washroom with fixed toilet which would see us through, well into old age.

All that said we may still choose a cali :headbang

I agree with all of the above but at some stage we will have to decide.
The cali. is the safer option, good fit, good residuals.
However, for our use the conversions have more attractions, esp. variability of fitments.
We are entering our old age so we are there already!

Re. Mercedes. As a long time Merc. car owner my take is that the engine and gearbox will well outlast the VW, but Mercedes achilles heel is age-related rust. If you look on the Mercedes car forums the Viano is usually panned for the this and the advice often is to buy a VW!

Retiredron said:
It's a Westy conversion but you buy it through Merc Dealers
I think Westfalia is part of the Mercedes now.
Ron.

According to Westfalia's website, they are owned by Rapido now, which is what gives them more independence to build on lots of chassis, I guess.

Rolling Homes is independent

http://www.vw-conversions.com/

There is also a company called Rollerteam, which is owned by Trigano.

The Ford Nugget (Westy Joker but on a Ford chassis) is being sold by Ford in Germany, but interestingly the back end warranty is the responsibility of Westfalia with Ford only providing the base platform warranty. Westfalia.

All very confusing!

Back