Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is bigger better? Please help

Pretty happy living in cali beach for months in pretty rough conditions. Toilet or shower was only a slight concern somewhere in Spain. In Scandinavia it is a pleasure. We usually start talking about pannel van when storm hits and we can't find a calm spot without the wind shaking the tent like crazy. But it is usually once or twice a month even in this crazy north in Autumn.

We started the camper/Motorhome adventure about 10 years ago with a Mazda Bongo and had so much fun that we went and bought an Adria Twin. It was noisy and underpowered and when the sales staff did the handover they told us never to use the shower or loo! We then found that the fun of camping with the Bongo was lost as the Motorhome was a bit like being at home. In 2011 we went to the NEC Motorhome show and the VW salesperson gave us the best advice: you live "in" a Motorhome whereas you live "outside" a campervan. After the show we bought a new Cali and the fun of camping (with a decent drive away awning) returned. Then I retired 4 years ago and foolishly bought an Adria Matrix, a coach built Motorhome with all mod cons. A more powerful engine and very well designed interior but it still spent most of it's time parked on the drive. Now driving our 8 year old Cali on a daily basis and having fun! You decide.

I’ve struggled with this, in the end it’s either the Cali or a Winnebago Chieftain!
I have a Cadac Chef but pull out barbecue and onboard dishwasher and washing machine are good to have.
Seriously though I see most Motirhome owners nearly always use the onsite loos, I am eagerly await the Grand Cali though.

We had a T5 van conversion for years, sold it in 2012 and shifted to a top of the range conversion on Fiat Ducato - more room, toilet and shower, oven etc. Whilst that was great when on sites, we found it too big for our preferred way of travel - parking a hassle, lots of stuff rattling around inside. We sold the Fiat and bought a Cali earlier this year. Miss some of the luxuries of the later van, but the practical nature of Cali suits us better.

We have had our Ocean for 28 months now, we have driven 16,200 miles and spent 79 nights away and every moment has been different and exciting. But we keep looking at bigger moterhomes!

We use our Cali all year round and are under the belief that having a bigger van (Hymer 544 or 584) would make our times away more comfortable having a fixed bed, toilet, not worrying about putting away a wet roof, woken up due to strong wind etc.

So I am interested in hearing from those that have moved from a Cali to something larger and what you learned perhaps you came back to your senses.

Please help!

Got a 150 DSG a couple of years ago. Liked it so much now got a 205 4motion. Only vehicle and live in a flat so it’s a no brainer. And on those misty moisty mornings turn on the heater remotely when I put the kettle on. Got a porta potti for when I took a lady friend for a trip round Southern Europe. Never used it!

Use the shower once or twice and then have to move the vehicle to fill the tank and empty the waste unless on a full service pitch.
California, Bog in a Bag and toilet tent for emergencies or night time. Stroll to the shower block. Better, scenic pitches. On our last 2 sites only a tent or a California could fit on the lakeside / riverside pitches.[/QUOTE
Man after my own heart!

We looked at getting a bigger camervan than out california ocean and in the end we choose the california as ticked all of box of needs and we do use it as a daily transport

This would be the ideal situation a Hymer 544 and the Ocean, if only I could make this work :)
We're in the same boat as you, we've had our Cali 9 years now and it's a much loved part of our family.
But we hanker for the extra space and are planning on buying a larger coachbuilt in the next few years. Provided it remains reliable we'll probably keep the Cali for campsites where access is difficult for a motorhome. We've never used it as a daily driver so the mileage is very low and should last us a long time yet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We go away for up to a month at a time and the only gripe I have with the Cali is the loo. Ben g of a certain age it does get used and, as time passes, no matter how much it has been used it is getting heavier and heavier to move.
Our van is our only vehicle so changing to a Hymer and bowling down to Tesco’s in it is just not going to work. Not everyday anyway. So, we have been wondering a bout a small caravan, maybe an Eriba or the Swift. We'll see.
Our thoughts exactly David. In fact, when we return from this little jaunt in Spain we are considering selling our California. Sad really, but downsizing regularly over the years has worked.......until we bought the Cali in June. Val is not a happy bunny. Mind you, scousers like their luxuries don't they? I'll sithee.

Our thoughts exactly David. In fact, when we return from this little jaunt in Spain we are considering selling our California. Sad really, but downsizing regularly over the years has worked.......until we bought the Cali in June. Val is not a happy bunny. Mind you, scousers like their luxuries don't they? I'll sithee.

What do you think you will be replacing the Cali with?

We've been thinking about this a lot, as we need to get a new van soon because of tighter emissions requirements planned for London. Also, I would like a slightly bigger van with toilet/shower that we could stand up in without having to put the roof up. Also I would prefer to stand up to cook & for meal prep to be possible without one of us having to get out of the way.

We identified a Hymercar Ayers Rock as the best bet, 5.41m long with the lifting roof so we can sleep up top in warm weather (which is one of the finer points of the Cali).

I want a loo & shower - we don't want to always have to stay on campsites - there are lots of nice aires abroad, & CL sites here, but most of them don't have facilities.

But, all this planning has now gone out of the window, as I thought I'd better check whether there's a size limit for our on-street parking permit. There is: 5.5m long, which was ok, but 2.3m high, which basically rules out any high-top.

So we are basically looking for a new Cali after all.

We are impostors here as we have never owned a Cali!

However we have owned ten VW campers during the past forty years. The first was a 1969 Bay Window tin-top the current one is a LWB Highroof 140ps Highline T6 converted by myself (as have our past four vehicles) as a two berth with Reimo roof & Variotech 333 seat/bed, Waeco CR65 fridge/freezer, Eberspacher heating, grill, hob, etc. This year alone we will have spent 100 nights in it and it's wonderful.
BUT as the OP says we keep wondering about going up in size mainly for the convenience of an on-board loo instead of the Porta Potty. Most of our holidays are spent on Aires, Stellplatz or similar where facilities are minimal.
Our current thought are towards a New Crafter but as yet there are very few converters building on it other than the California 600 and the IH 680RD (http://www.ihmotorhomes.com/pages/models/680RD.php) but we would like a front lounge to continue the T5/6 attitude of being able to park up with the sliding door open and be part of the outside world.
As for the increase in size when driving, I watch where the Parcel Force and DHL drivers go with their MB Sprinters and realise that it would present very little restriction over and above that which we have with the highroof T6.

Rod

Just come across the Randger camper marketed by Marquis. It seems to tick some boxes, particularly the need for a toilet. However, I'd need to see it as I can't see storage and we carry a lot of junk, sorry, kit, in the boot, including two comfy chairs.
Also, it is on a Fiat chassis which is a bit off putting, and price is notably absent form the website!

Use the shower once or twice and then have to move the vehicle to fill the tank and empty the waste unless on a full service pitch.
California, Bog in a Bag and toilet tent for emergencies or night time. Stroll to the shower block. Better, scenic pitches. On our last 2 sites only a tent or a California could fit on the lakeside / riverside pitches.
California and touring van........ perfect combo

As for the increase in size when driving, I watch where the Parcel Force and DHL drivers go with their MB Sprinters and realise that it would present very little restriction over and above that which we have with the highroof T6.
Yes but have you seen the dents and scratches down their sides? Not sure I could treat a leisure vehicle like that.

Yes but have you seen the dents and scratches down their sides? Not sure I could treat a leisure vehicle like that.
Yes i´m amazed at how some of those vans look.
Do they get a free run at anything and it doesn´t matter
Surely there is a transport somewhere ?
Probably scratching the rest of his hair out. :D

For us, a California based on the LWB T6 would be the best compromise. It's only about 18" longer giving a little extra storage inside with a place to store the porta poti (other than in the boot) and greater floor space.

My LWB Highroof T6 with Reimo 333 seat/bed gives 1350mm between the swivelled front seat squab and the rear seat squab in seating mode and 920mm when the seat is in 'bed' mode.

The Porta Potty lives in a floor level cupboard below the grill and has plenty of user space when out on the floor.

The Reimo 333 seat is similar to that in a Cali being on rails and having two integral three point seat belts.

The high roof gives at least 6ft standing height over the whole accessible floor area. Front and rear of the roof space are taken up with storage lockers.

Just to cause a degree of envy, I have seen what I assume was the one and only LWB highroof California prototype at a German event just after the first T5 Cali was released. I do have pictures somewhere but not with me here in France.

Rod

Great thread and I'm sure everyone will have an opinion as its a very personal experience.
For me the Cali is perfect for getting away and exploring new towns, cities, forests, lakes and mountains because the Cali can, and will, go to any of these places. The problem would start for me when going into the big cities and trying to park. Almost impossible with a large Mobile home but the Cali will go into most car parks no problem.
This year I took my youngest daughter around the larger cities in Europe. Paris, Geneva, Milan and then some chill out time in Lake Como and Venice. The Cali took everything in its stride and allowed us to explore without fear of blocking a road. The cities were actually much easier than Lake Como which has, in some areas, single lanes. Nightmare in a larger vehicle.
If your the type of people who stay in one place for longer than a few days then maybe up sizing is for you. Remember though, there is no other vehicle as cool looking as the Cali. They don't make log fire mobile homes......Say no more ;)

Had the same dilemma, decided to go for a Hymer 564 in September. We do 2 big trips a year 5-6 weeks and the Cali was too small. I could get by with 2 of the shelves in the back for clothes etc - my wife needed ikea bags for her stuff. I also don’t like climbing down from the roof in the night for the loo or going outside. Love the space in the Hymer, the warmth, the shower and loo. Open the roof vent and there is no condensation, waste and fresh water have lasted 4 days without refilling.

Downside,nothing drives like a Cali can’t pop down to the supermarket so easily in the Hymer. We had our Cali for 2 years from new and loved every minute we had it. As always it is a compromise, whatever you do, you will have a great time

Ah
What do you think you will be replacing the Cali with?
, now that is the question. We’ve owned all sorts over the years, yanks, a custom built job by SCSporthomes, Eura-Mobil, Rimor, a couple of Auto-Sleepers, Bedford Dormobile and a whole raft of caravans. When we return of this little Jolly in Spain come November 24th our Cali will be going on the market as ‘She who must be obeyed’ really really can’t get to grips with what the Cali offers. Me, I’m just a bloke so a Cali is just fine. The way things are looking it’ll be something on a Mercedes chassis with automatic box, right hand drive and most likely British. Watch this space!!!

Ah

, now that is the question. We’ve owned all sorts over the years, yanks, a custom built job by SCSporthomes, Eura-Mobil, Rimor, a couple of Auto-Sleepers, Bedford Dormobile and a whole raft of caravans. When we return of this little Jolly in Spain come November 24th our Cali will be going on the market as ‘She who must be obeyed’ really really can’t get to grips with what the Cali offers. Me, I’m just a bloke so a Cali is just fine. The way things are looking it’ll be something on a Mercedes chassis with automatic box, right hand drive and most likely British. Watch this space!!!

Stay VW and go for an IH van conversion on the New Crafter and a UK conversion http://www.ihmotorhomes.com/pages/models/680RD.php

Ah

You are quite a way from us, but if you are ever travelling down south, you are welcome to have a look and a drive in ours. It ticks a couple of your boxes and will give you an idea of what it’s like to drive the Mercedes chassis with auto box.

Back