Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swop Hymer Blue Evo for Ocean

It’s even making me (nearly) jealous again :eek: :D

I’ll have to hang on to the fact that when I’m really old (as in older than 65) those comforts might become more attractive …… until then…..just gonna keep on cruisin :cool:

Absolutely.
But for those lucky enough to be retired or semi retired. The Hymer is the better van for long/extended trips.
Yes, we fall into the ‘retired for quite a long time’ category and have been doing trips of up to two months at a time, cruising around Europe for the last ten years in our California SE.
Taking everything into account, the age of our van and, although young at heart, our own seniority, we’re now considering the Hymer as ‘the next stage’.
We love the Cali, it’s a brilliant machine to drive, but the home comforts and reasonably ‘edgy’ style of the Blue Evolution appears really attractive to us, even if the drive may be a bit more ‘industrial’.

Yes, we fall into the ‘retired for quite a long time’ category and have been doing trips of up to two months at a time, cruising around Europe for the last ten years in our California SE.
Taking everything into account, the age of our van and, although young at heart, our own seniority, we’re now considering the Hymer as ‘the next stage’.
We love the Cali, it’s a brilliant machine to drive, but the home comforts and reasonably ‘edgy’ style of the Blue Evolution appears really attractive to us, even if the drive may be a bit more ‘industrial’.

I’m possibly being overly harsh on the Fiat. The Cali is an excellent drive, very car like.
If there’s only two of you, you may not need the Poptop…?
Westfalia Columbus was also at the top of our list, but couldn’t justify the extra £££ over the Hymer, as nice as it was.

A fair point about the need for a pop-top. That’s something we’re still considering. We do have grandchildren although the opportunities for the odd weekend away with them are few and far between. There are others such as the Hymer Free 540 as well. Food for thought, we do have a bit of time to think about this… Thanks for advice.

I’m possibly being overly harsh on the Fiat. The Cali is an excellent drive, very car like.
If there’s only two of you, you may not need the Poptop…?
Westfalia Columbus was also at the top of our list, but couldn’t justify the extra £££ over the Hymer, as nice as it was.

I don't think you are being harsh. It is a big cultural switch.

The Cali is a beautiful drive and you can sleep in it. The Ducato is a quite rural drive and you can sleep in it.

My decision was based on "what do I need a camper for" and the answer was "to camp in it". Yes a lovely drive would be nice but I have the Cupra alongside it for that. I do not have a big need for the camper to be also a "second car" but when I do have that need it fulfils it but less smoothly and with more restrictions.The camping experience was/is so superior that it negated with big plusses all the shortfalls on the driving side.

All that and any like-for-like comparison also showed a huge saving, so much so that to many it would be a no-brainer.

Last edited:
A fair point about the need for a pop-top. That’s something we’re still considering. We do have grandchildren although the opportunities for the odd weekend away with them are few and far between. There are others such as the Hymer Free 540 as well. Food for thought, we do have a bit of time to think about this… Thanks for advice.
The Free 540 and the Blue Evo 540 are essentially the same van, but the Evo has a load of extras included and if you want those extras, it’s good value. The colours available in the Free are just shades between white and black I believe.

The Free 540 and the Blue Evo 540 are essentially the same van, but the Evo has a load of extras included and if you want those extras, it’s good value. The colours available in the Free are just shades between white and black I believe.

I’ve had a few people comment on the colour. It’s a really nice stand out colour…

We have a second vehicle for everyday stuff, so the agricultural/industrial handling of the Fiat doesn’t necessarily phase us. I’ve driven various commercial vans previously and actually quite enjoyed it. We travel a wee bit in the Highlands so I guess narrow single track roads will be a wee bit more onerous but as mentioned by @GrannyJen, the camping experience probably outweighs the driving downside.

Yes
Yes, will check them both out - and I like the blue colour!

I did approach them this week. They made me chuckle with their offer.
I’m in no rush to sell.

You can’t buy this van anywhere at the minute, and it’s a long wait if you want one.
I'd personally be interested to know why you'd switch back to a Cali? The Hymer was very much on our radar and seems a much more convincing package than the Cali. Yes the Cali does and will make a stronger argument as a day van and daily driver but fir the job I can only see the Hymer being a better, more comfortable and not forgetting fully self contained option. The thought now of more than a couple of nights in a Cali with 2 kids makes me shudder and even question why I found it so appealing previously.

I'd personally be interested to know why you'd switch back to a Cali? The Hymer was very much on our radar and seems a much more convincing package than the Cali. Yes the Cali does and will make a stronger argument as a day van and daily driver but fir the job I can only see the Hymer being a better, more comfortable and not forgetting fully self contained option. The thought now of more than a couple of nights in a Cali with 2 kids makes me shudder and even question why I found it so appealing previously.

Every van is a compromise. Not matter how big or small. If I was buying this van again, I would add diesel heating instead of gas, plus lithium. The battery Hymer supply is only 95Ah, which last about 24hrs off grid. Useless considering the price of these vans.

Like every Campervan, it will need modifying to your needs, so don’t expect to buy one and think that’s the end of it.

I guess the biggest shift is, I’ve always used the Volkswagen as our daily. It’s possible in the hymer, but it’s awkward.
So providing you don’t mind running a second vehicle alongside it, it’s not a problem.
I just can’t decide what.
I would like an EV, but a used 3 series is quite appealing considering a clean low miles 5 year old Bimmer is like £20k.
Chump change these days.

I don't think you are being harsh. It is a big cultural switch.

The Cali is a beautiful drive and you can sleep in it. The Ducato is a quite rural drive and you can sleep in it.

My decision was based on "what do I need a camper for" and the answer was "to camp in it". Yes a lovely drive would be nice but I have the Cupra alongside it for that. I do not have a big need for the camper to be also a "second car" but when I do have that need it fulfils it but less smoothly and with more restrictions.The camping experience was/is so superior that it negated with big plusses all the shortfalls on the driving side.

All that and any like-for-like comparison also showed a huge saving, so much so that to many it would be a no-brainer.
Tbh the drive of the Cali imho is very overated and as a package it is a heart thing not a head (unless you want a daily) and even then you can get a very nice motor and stay in some very nice hotels or houses and not have to sit on a campsite inches from people you'd cross the street to avoid y you can even have a private pool and avoid the plebs completely

Every van is a compromise. Not matter how big or small. If I was buying this van again, I would add diesel heating instead of gas, plus lithium. The battery Hymer supply is only 95Ah, which last about 24hrs off grid. Useless considering the price of these vans.

Like every Campervan, it will need modifying to your needs, so don’t expect to buy one and think that’s the end of it.

I guess the biggest shift is, I’ve always used the Volkswagen as our daily. It’s possible in the hymer, but it’s awkward.
So providing you don’t mind running a second vehicle alongside it, it’s not a problem.
I just can’t decide what.
I would like an EV, but a used 3 series is quite appealing considering a clean low miles 5 year old Bimmer is like £20k.
Chump change these days.
Agree - def 6kw Diesel/electric heating and lithium.

No regrets with changing to a Hymer GCS reliable over the last three years.
Replaced the AGM batterteries with lithium and added solar, Hymer now offer lithium package as a cost option for those that need it.
Have also added VB air, massive improvement on standard Sprinter suspension, rear storage box and rear tyre carrier. Storage box great for storing the hundreds of shoes/trainers/Sliders that we carry!
Recently fitted Black Rhino wheels and A T tyres (vanity).
After spending the last few wks in Spain would love habitation A/C 27°c night time temperature was a bit much.
Unfortunately as van is a poptop don't think that would be possible.

After spending the last few wks in Spain would love habitation A/C 27°c night time temperature was a bit much.
This is compact enough to fit in a Cali

Purchased Wave 2 before this trip, £1600!
After watching Vanlife recommendation.
All I can say, in Carcassonne it was 29°c late afternoon, inside van temp 31.7°c. after running for 1hr 8mins temp reduced to 30°c indicated fully charged battery run time was only 2.8 hrs.
Yes the unit did push out air at 20°c, 10° below outside air temperature but the unit its self generated that much heat it couldn't cool interior temperature at all, infact at one point it increased.
Used with windows and pop top closed to reduce area needing cooling.
Considering the cost of these units they really need to produce effective results.
To be fair to the supplier they have agreed a return without question.

No regrets with changing to a Hymer GCS reliable over the last three years.
Replaced the AGM batterteries with lithium and added solar, Hymer now offer lithium package as a cost option for those that need it.
Have also added VB air, massive improvement on standard Sprinter suspension, rear storage box and rear tyre carrier. Storage box great for storing the hundreds of shoes/trainers/Sliders that we carry!
Recently fitted Black Rhino wheels and A T tyres (vanity).

Glad to hear your positive review of the GCS.
I’m loving our BlueEvo now. But feel we could move up to a 6m van, so going to have a look at one on our return to the UK and figure out if we can justify the extra £££ for the Merc GC.

I think the GC has a lot going for it.
So far, our Hymer has been faultless, good built quality and happy to purchase another.

I’m at a point where we either change into a new van or make upgrades/modifications to our current Blue Evo…?

Just a thought @Wondering Star, have you tried the Truma Vent function…?
The Heating and Hot water has to be set to off for Vent to work, but may help move air around the van…?

Yes, can't workout if it just moves air around or removes interior air and brings in fresh?

Yes, can't workout if it just moves air around or removes interior air and brings in fresh?

Not sure.
What I can confirm, for sleeping it does help cool the van. In fact last night I had to get up switch it off and grab another blanket.

Has anyone fitted roof channels / bars to the elevating roof on the Hymer?

Back