Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swop Hymer Blue Evo for Ocean

I won’t show her this message. She’s a bit upset with me at the minute.
She’s only done two short trips in the Hymer, and loves it.

The other option, hire out the Hymer and try and make it pay for itself.
I’m just not sure it’s worth the hassle. We’re far to busy with other things…

I do belong in your "retired/semi retired" bracket and I do use the vehicle regularly, weekly at present, so I'm quite used to pottering around in a vehicle with all the road manners of a challenger tank.

Seriously though I'm being unfair to it. I cruise at around 65mph on major roads and it is a real sweet spot for both noise levels and fuel consumption. The only rattles I have, now after 18 months and 140 nights of use, are due to my bad packing, normally something sliding around in the fridge.

I did find it took an eternity to feel responsive. Even with fiat's biggest engine at the beginning it felt as nimble as a walrus on valium but after about 8,000 miles everything seemed to loosen up and now it feels quite energetic. Oh and I just love the auto box.

It is a van though, has no pretensions to be anything else, does not have the "Van turned Limo" feel of the Cali and 2.6m of height makes it a big lump to look at even though the footprint is only 1/2 metre more than a Cali. I did think I would be making more use of my Son's Cali but I hardly drive it, but then as said earlier, most of my "driving it" is to camp in it.

Absolutely.
But for those lucky enough to be retired or semi retired. The Hymer is the better van for long/extended trips.
Haha, well we are retired and there is no way we are going back to those builders van type things (fingers crossed behind back)

6m GlobeCar (2013 -2016)
5.4m HymerCar (2018-2019)
4.9m California (2022-present)

Not sure if we can ‘downsize’ any more! (actually nearly gave it a go with Nissan EV200 that we were going to convert but saved ourselves from ourselves at the last minute) :thumb

I used to be away (surfing usually) every other weekend.
But now I tend to go for the day (Thursday or a Friday) and come back or I might stay over for an early morning surf so I can get back home.
Weekends have become kids parties, tennis camp and other child related activities.
This is where a California would serve us better than the Hymer.

We will have another Hymer, once our little -un has left and gone to University or whatever he ends up doing, and me and mum have plenty of free time…
Me and wifey thinking more like 3 weeks (each time) Australia, New Zealand. USA, Canada and other such travel places. !

I did approach them this week. They made me chuckle with their offer.
I’m in no rush to sell.

You can’t buy this van anywhere at the minute, and it’s a long wait if you want one.
Put it up for sale and then some. It’ll sell :thumb

I suspect t you’ll get what you paid for the Hymer and agree it is very much down to how you use it.

We’ve done 14000 miles since picking our Hymer Blue Evo last July and we find ourselves thinking of going slightly bigger!!

The 540 length is brilliant and we haven’t found as many issues as we thought we would with barrier height. The convenience of arriving and leaving a site is great when setting up camp.

As a 2nd car it works OK but when we load up for a longer trip a bit more garage space would be good. Skiing actually worked out well in Les Gets this year but the longer summer trip with paddle boards etc is a bit of a squeeze.

Also it’s a bit tight sleeping transverse for anyone 6’ or above so the Hymer Yellowstone may be a replacement at some point with a superking long bed and lots of garage room, albeit at 6.4m!!

Hiring it our would actually work pretty well form a financial point of view, but having done it in the past, it’s a real pain and when things get broken (they will) it will be harder to quickly replace Hymer parts compared to Cali parts.

We hope to pick up our 6m white box tomorrow. Having enjoyed the additional habitation space of a 5.4m PVC it left us wondering how much better even more space would be. Add to that over 300w solar, 40ltr underslung LPG tank, lithium batteries and an inverter we should be in a good place.

We hope to pick up our 6m white box tomorrow. Having enjoyed the additional habitation space of a 5.4m PVC it left us wondering how much better even more space would be. Add to that over 300w solar, 40ltr underslung LPG tank, lithium batteries and an inverter we should be in a good place.
What are you getting??

I suspect t you’ll get what you paid for the Hymer and agree it is very much down to how you use it.

We’ve done 14000 miles since picking our Hymer Blue Evo last July and we find ourselves thinking of going slightly bigger!!

The 540 length is brilliant and we haven’t found as many issues as we thought we would with barrier height. The convenience of arriving and leaving a site is great when setting up camp.

As a 2nd car it works OK but when we load up for a longer trip a bit more garage space would be good. Skiing actually worked out well in Les Gets this year but the longer summer trip with paddle boards etc is a bit of a squeeze.

Also it’s a bit tight sleeping transverse for anyone 6’ or above so the Hymer Yellowstone may be a replacement at some point with a superking long bed and lots of garage room, albeit at 6.4m!!

Hiring it our would actually work pretty well form a financial point of view, but having done it in the past, it’s a real pain and when things get broken (they will) it will be harder to quickly replace Hymer parts compared to Cali parts.

I think, once you go bigger than a Cali. Go as big as you possibly can or feel comfortable with. I don’t really need the extra storage, we don’t take a lot with us.
Surfboards inside is a PITA and although I haven’t fitted any roof bars yet, I know scaling to the roof of the hymer will get on my nerves.
I’m convinced I can build something more to our needs for half the cost.

What are you getting??
A Dethleffs Globebus T1, not the A Class. Did have an Adria Compact on order but it looked like we could be waiting a very long time for it to arrive and the cost to keep rising. This came out of the blue so we snapped it up.

A Dethleffs Globebus T1, not the A Class. Did have an Adria Compact on order but it looked like we could be waiting a very long time for it to arrive and the cost to keep rising. This came out of the blue so we snapped it up.
Having been in the Adria founds, they do seem to fall apart quite easily too!

There's a certain degree of failing apart in all vans built within the 3500 kg limit.
No real problems on my hymer apart from a broken hinge (pilot error) and defective dometic tap, although it's been two plus years of adapting and upgrading.To my mind no van is perfect, its a starting point waiting to be adapted to individual needs.
Why the California is so good, simplicity of on-board systems, less weight fixation re internal fitting quality issue's and because they generally carry less weight a drivetrain that's not being operated close or over its limits.
Manurfacturer reputations are based on what's gone before, so to a certain degree irrelevant.
The Grand California is a good example of this.

Haha, well we are retired and there is no way we are going back to those builders van type things (fingers crossed behind back)

6m GlobeCar (2013 -2016)
5.4m HymerCar (2018-2019)
4.9m California (2022-present)

Not sure if we can ‘downsize’ any more! (actually nearly gave it a go with Nissan EV200 that we were going to convert but saved ourselves from ourselves at the last minute) :thumb
I went from a caddymaxi based van so similar to the EV200 in size and spent a few years researching, globecar 5.4m was on the radar. Settled on the California ocean and its been brilliant, more floor space with the front seats swiveled than most larger vans. The flexibility and fairly good fuel consumption although 25%more than caddy and generally more expensive to run.
That said I wouldn’t swap back !!

There's a certain degree of falling apart in all vans built within the 3500 kg limit.
No real problems on my hymer apart from a broken hinge (pilot error) and defective dometic tap, although it's been two plus years of adapting and upgrading.To my mind no van is perfect, its a starting point waiting to be adapted to individual needs.
Why the California is so good, simplicity of on-board systems, less weight fixation re internal fitting quality issue's and because they generally carry less weight a drivetrain that's not being operated close or over its limits.
Manurfacturer reputations are based on what's gone before, so to a certain degree irrelevant.
The Grand California is a good example of this.

Anyone know if you can sell other vans on the Forums, For Sale section…?
The Hymer is going…
What's the spec? Is it an auto? I am thinking of changing from my cali as we are both less agile and ready made bed plus loo is attractive.

Why are you getting rid of it. I always fancied one of these.

I’m told it’s not going. So sorry to disappoint those who have PMd.
Turns out the wife is calling the shots after all. She loves the fixed bed, she loves hot water and she loves having a door to an actual toilet to get away from the boys.
I sort of get it…

Possibly,
I’ve been thinking this is a Cali replacement. It’s not.
It’s a different sort of beast and I have to accept to running this plus a daily driver.
So again, I’m back looking at EVs to run alongside the Hymer, and have been given the green light to modify as I see fit.

We’ve also realised how hard carpark camping (some of our old park ups are now out of bounds or charging) is these day and having the extra amenities opens up more pubs stops etc with the hymer.
So I need to stick with it and see how we adapt this van to our needs.

Might be time to move on.
The California and more importantly Volkswagen days have been great, but times change. Maybe, one of the new vans might tempt me back?
But it looks like Ducato from here on in for a while…

:thumb

Turns out the wife is calling the shots after all. She loves the fixed bed, she loves hot water and she loves having a door to an actual toilet to get away from the boys.
I sort of get it…

Possibly,
It’s a different sort of beast and I have to accept to running this plus a daily driver.
So again, I’m back looking at EVs to run alongside the Hymer, and have been given the green light to modify as I see fit.

We’ve also realised how hard carpark camping (some of our old park ups are now out of bounds or charging) is these day and having the extra amenities opens up more pubs stops etc with the hymer.

The California and more importantly Volkswagen days have been great, but times change. Maybe, one of the new vans might tempt me back?

Have you considered getting a t6 kombi as your daily drive and solo escape camper.
A lot cheaper than Cali and you can get all sorts of mods, been pleased with mine (over the cost savings of a cali).

Have you considered getting a t6 kombi as your daily drive and solo escape camper.
A lot cheaper than Cali and you can get all sorts of mods, been pleased with mine (over the cost savings of a cali).

My wife isn’t keen on driving vans. She would take the Cali out when needed, but only as a last resort.
She felt comfortable with the Buzz, but unfortunately that didn’t pan out.
So, back looking at car based vehicles again. Preferably an EV.

My wife isn’t keen on driving vans. She would take the Cali out when needed, but only as a last resort.
Or what about a caddy kombi ir life, very car like to drive ? Still more than possible for a kit out to sleep in solo.

Or what about a caddy kombi ir life, very car like to drive ? Still more than possible for a kit out to sleep in solo.
I will only buy an EV if it is mandatory or diesel is £10 a litre.

I sort of get it…

Possibly,

That makes sense. I would like a Hymer Blue but 'er in doors' says no.

That makes sense. I would like a Hymer Blue but 'er in doors' says no.
My girl said the toilet is a game changer. Maybe not as much of an issue for blokes, but for her to be able to close the door and sit on a proper toilet makes camping life easier.
She also prefers being able to stand and cook and says these small changes make the camping experience a lot more pleasurable.

My girl said the toilet is a game changer. Maybe not as much of an issue for blokes, but for her to be able to close the door and sit on a proper toilet makes camping life easier.
She also prefers being able to stand and cook and says these small changes make the camping experience a lot more pleasurable.
Sounds like luxury to me :)

Back