Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Software gremlins, SOS warning, infotainment system hanging

I am now following this thread with interest, I wish I had found it when I searched previously. I have commented in another thread - but basically my MY21 T6.1 Ocean has been through the same set of system faults including the SOS call problem, ending up with the frozen welcome screen. Breeze managed to clear it with some sort of hard reset at the weekend, calling it a configuration issue. It wasn't clear whether they did a software update. Since then I have had a recurrence of the SOS light, which cleared itself - as usual. Nav seems slower to load on startup and I momentarily saw a screen which indicated a software update was available. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know if the update will load automatically or if it needs to be triggered in some way? When I stopped and had a look around in the settings/system menu I couldn’t find a way to do it.
Hi @GrahamB , go into Settings and then System information. You’ll then see Software Updates. Any that are due will then be displayed and you can start the download.

9AFEA9A3-BAD4-41D0-A348-69B25131D670.jpeg

37E293DA-61F8-4212-B74E-32B091CEA27F.jpeg

4CBBD1E7-6F64-41EF-9266-F41B07D2C609.jpeg

Hi @GrahamB , go into Settings and then System information. You’ll then see Software Updates. Any that are due will then be displayed and you can start the download.

View attachment 86246

View attachment 86247

View attachment 86248
Thanks @GrumpyGranddad - I did exactly that - which is reassuring in a way that I was in the right track. But there is nothing showing on that page, which is what confused me, having seen the message that an update was available? Annoyingly, I have also now noticed another problem which is that its not uploading the phone book and has lost favourites. It will make calls via apple play but the favourites buttons are useful when on the move, e.g. I like to have Breeze on speed dial to update them on the latest fail! :)

Have you checked in ‘Users’ that you are the ‘Primary User’.

Yep - all present and correct!
Interestingly @GrumpyGranddad comparing your system information page to mine, I am showing a slightly later Nav database than yours - version 2.9. Everything else is identical. Maybe that could explain the update message and the Nav was taking longer to load if it was in the process of installing it?

Interestingly @GrumpyGranddad comparing your system information page to mine, I am showing a slightly later Nav database than yours - version 2.9. Everything else is identical. Maybe that could explain the update message and the Nav was taking longer to load if it was in the process of installing it?
Maybe?

Coincidently, mine did a software update this morning. Didn’t notice what system was being updated but will check in a while.

One other thing - I’m sure I read somewhere that the time/date setting can cause some problems if set to auto.

I am now following this thread with interest, I wish I had found it when I searched previously. I have commented in another thread - but basically my MY21 T6.1 Ocean has been through the same set of system faults including the SOS call problem, ending up with the frozen welcome screen. Breeze managed to clear it with some sort of hard reset at the weekend, calling it a configuration issue. It wasn't clear whether they did a software update. Since then I have had a recurrence of the SOS light, which cleared itself - as usual. Nav seems slower to load on startup and I momentarily saw a screen which indicated a software update was available. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know if the update will load automatically or if it needs to be triggered in some way? When I stopped and had a look around in the settings/system menu I couldn’t find a way to do it.
All very familiar GrahamB. On the way home after the VW garage software update, another "over the air" update was installed. Cant remember if I mentioned previously, but when I had the SOS warning, and then a frozen screen, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery worked on a couple of occasions. First time was what the VW Assist technician did to eliminate the frozen screen, after trying soft reboot (hold on/off switch for a long while) and also some other reboot via his PC attached to the van. I'm still fingers crossed that the last update has fixed it.... I'll be back here to let you know if not.

No, our downstairs bench bed decided to stop working while we were camping. It got stuck in the seat position which meant we couldn’t use it at all for sleeping. Also steering wheel doesn’t sit at 12 o’clock more like 5 past. Other than this it’s been perfect!!
" Also steering wheel doesn’t sit at 12 o’clock more like 5 past." .....Interesting, mine too. Have you resolved it since? Was it like it from new? Mine was delivered 01/21 and noticed it a couple months later. Assume the tracking is out due due a pothole or something. Tyres dont appear to be uneven 5,500 miles in.
Cheers

" Also steering wheel doesn’t sit at 12 o’clock more like 5 past." .....Interesting, mine too. Have you resolved it since? Was it like it from new? Mine was delivered 01/21 and noticed it a couple months later. Assume the tracking is out due due a pothole or something. Tyres dont appear to be uneven 5,500 miles in.
Cheers
I have the 5 past steering wheel too. Noticed it after having windscreen replaced but maybe that was a coincidence!

All very familiar GrahamB. On the way home after the VW garage software update, another "over the air" update was installed. Cant remember if I mentioned previously, but when I had the SOS warning, and then a frozen screen, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery worked on a couple of occasions. First time was what the VW Assist technician did to eliminate the frozen screen, after trying soft reboot (hold on/off switch for a long while) and also some other reboot via his PC attached to the van. I'm still fingers crossed that the last update has fixed it.... I'll be back here to let you know if not.
Well, the Germlins continue but not too often. SOS warning seems to come in just under 1hour into driving, but not everytime, and has always reset when engine is restarted. So I’m ignoring it. Separately (or is it linked…..?) I’m finding the infotainment unit is also randomly logging me out so I appear as unknown user - you know the scary odd looking person icon on the top row of the screen). Seems generally not fixed yet, but also not debilitating either.

I'm pleased I'm not the only one. Returning from our first proper trip away yesterday we had the SOS warning. I'd had the occasional "unavailable" message before but this had always cleared.

So, from the above I should try the following:-
1. Push and hold SOS button for 60s and then Cancel.
2. Check for software update in the system menu.

Then yell at the dealer?

Loz2286 - yup, that’s the plan. I did the 60sec hold and cancel routine yesterday and it worked ok.

Dealer tells me there’s (another) software update when the van is next in. But tbh, I’m not holding my breath as that will be the 3rd or 4th time a software update has been made without sorting it.

Luckily it’s not debilitating for van performance, so I’m just chilled about resetting it when it comes on.

Do let us know if you learn anything from your own journey to sort this

I'm pleased I'm not the only one. Returning from our first proper trip away yesterday we had the SOS warning. I'd had the occasional "unavailable" message before but this had always cleared.

So, from the above I should try the following:-
1. Push and hold SOS button for 60s and then Cancel.
2. Check for software update in the system menu.

Then yell at the dealer?
Well #1 done and successful! Thanks everyone. I'll try for the software update tomorrow after the wind drops.

I think it’s a dealer software update Loz2286….. rather than over the air.

OK. I'll pop it in to the dealer. Thanks.

I'll jump in here! Came back to this issue on Friday night as we were on route back from the New Forest. I was on the M3 when I had a call, and they couldn't hear me... then ping - SOS on the dashboard. We stopped at the services, and when I turned on the engine spinning Welcome screen on the screen... DOH No radio, music, sat nav etc...

Fortunately, I knew where I was going, so had Sat Nav not a biggy but no music and my daughter sleeping the back was a nice reflection time! However still not back and going to have to go to a dealer!!

I love tech but it's the downfall of modern vehicles! Bring back the removable radio/cd/mini-disc units

Any ideas of how long the software update takes when it is in at the dealer?

Thanks

Mine was a while you wait...due to take an hour but took about 2...not sure whether they were working on it the whole time...:)

Mine was a while you wait...due to take an hour but took about 2...not sure whether they were working on it the whole time...:)
Amazing! Though dropped off tonight as they told me could be 3-4 hrs and no waiting area
Let’s hope it’s fixed as we’re off again this weekend

Just collected mine today after several mods including a software update. Dunno how long the software update took on its own as I had other stuff done and left it with them overnight. Hoping strongly that the software update fixes the SOS alert issue. I’ll report if the issue comes back.

update: apparently all sorted. Though I was told a software update for infortainment is out but they couldn’t download it from VW as still new… so they didn’t go on. Fingers crossed it behaves on our upcoming trip

After 15 months of ownership we still have issues with the infotainment system. Now waiting for VW to replace the complete Head Unit as the many and varied SW upgrades have not fixed the problems. However no one can actually give a date when the new HW will be available. Looks like we are off to Europe with a very flakey system and no one in VW can offer any realistic dates

After 15 months of ownership we still have issues with the infotainment system. Now waiting for VW to replace the complete Head Unit as the many and varied SW upgrades have not fixed the problems. However no one can actually give a date when the new HW will be available. Looks like we are off to Europe with a very flakey system and no one in VW can offer any realistic dates
Got to say it seems VW are totally out of their depth with this software. Our Cali's still got no sat nav after almost a year due to a failed over the air update !

My first post here and, sadly, not a happy one! Our 2021 Ocean, picked up in September, started having various software gremlins from early on, many as mentioned in this thread, but recently the Infotainment system started to reset itself every few minutes. Took it into the garage and the team finally decided it needed a new master control unit. Waited a couple of weeks for that and, when fitted, it had more faults than before - apparently, the new unit was faulty! Waited for another to be sent out over Easter and that has been fitted but at the moment cannot talk to the SOS and Emergency modules... It is still in the garage being worked on, whilst we watch the glorious Spring weather pass us by :-(

I had the SOS recall done and that was sorted but now the fridge is going off intermittently, there’s a strange whirring sound every 30 seconds coming from the dashboard when parked up, the internal lights flashed off and on like a disco the other night and it decided to lock us in when we didn’t want to be locked in! I’m sure it’ll be several trips to the dealer before it gets sorted (if ever!). Shouldn’t really happen on a 21 plate 4 motion Ocean van…. Ho hum. I love my van though….bless her. I hate moaning but I’ve been back and forward to the dealership since buying last June - had to have the roof hydraulics replaced, the coolant level monitor was faulty, the awning has been replaced due to excessive creasing for no apparent reason, etc etc. I still bloody love that van though!

My first post here and, sadly, not a happy one! Our 2021 Ocean, picked up in September, started having various software gremlins from early on, many as mentioned in this thread, but recently the Infotainment system started to reset itself every few minutes. Took it into the garage and the team finally decided it needed a new master control unit. Waited a couple of weeks for that and, when fitted, it had more faults than before - apparently, the new unit was faulty! Waited for another to be sent out over Easter and that has been fitted but at the moment cannot talk to the SOS and Emergency modules... It is still in the garage being worked on, whilst we watch the glorious Spring weather pass us by :-(
I've read reports by T6.1 Transporter Owners that they've been told that there isn't a fix as yet for Software problems. Also seems to apply to some car models.