Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

engine warning light

P

Paul Roe

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
so on the way back from Lincoln xmas market the engine warning light came on, the orange one that looks like a picture of an engine
so i used my carista app to see what the issue was

there were 12 fault codes, ranging from shorted glow plug to headlamp alignment and even problems with the infotainment system.

so i called the garage and they said call VW assist as it is still in warranty

the VW guy looked at the codes and reset them and said the issue is that the ECU needs a software update, strange i said as it was serviced 3 months ago so you would have thought they would have done the update.
he shrugged and said does it use a lot of adblue, i said i get around 1500miles per litre
he said the update would reduce that.

so i now need to book it in

T6 4 motion bluemotion

comments please

IMG_20191216_190956.jpg

Updates can come anytime but I don't think he's done a great job just resetting it, however, It does sound like a glitch with the various codes and I'd probably have reset it too if there was nothing obviously wrong with it's driving, if there was a genuine fault, it should pop back up..

I'm sure the adblue consumption varies greatly depending on the way it's driven, and the last update was to increase adblue consumption.

I'd get it booked in for a scan, maybe the codes will be long gone and not come back on, but the dealer will advise on any updates. If you have a copy of the codes, pass them on to the tech.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
9 .1 litres of Adblue needed ! You must have been showing around 500 miles to empty (adblue) - are you doing a lot of short journeys?

The 9L of adblue would not have been low enough to generate the adblue warning
The field action wouldn’t create a MiL light
the presssure sensor could be the real fault that brought on the MiL light
the egr code is a software issue but does not generate a mil light.
all the other codes can accumulate with low battery when cranking and voltage drops too low.
normal practice to note, clear, check for returning faults.

The 9L of adblue would not have been low enough to generate the adblue warning
The field action wouldn’t create a MiL light
the presssure sensor could be the real fault that brought on the MiL light
the egr code is a software issue but does not generate a mil light.
all the other codes can accumulate with low battery when cranking and voltage drops too low.
normal practice to note, clear, check for returning faults.
Lots of short journeys!

Hi Paul,
9 .1 litres of Adblue needed ! You must have been showing around 500 miles to empty (adblue) - are you doing a lot of short journeys?
i would not say that i do "lots" of short journeys, if we dont go away, i do take it on a run typically once a fortnight to keep the battery charged, but that would usually be at least a 40 min run

If you're getting 1500 miles per litre, I'd say you're doing very well, not high consumption at all?

When this happened to mine the dealer says it was the EGR valve which was replaced and engine decoked. It also had software upgrade but the light came in regularly. Makes me think this might be a common problem as the dealer couldn’t find a reason for it.

light came back on after a few miles
not been to dealer yet, but todays codes are:-
under OBD2 section
P13D6 appears 4 times (search results indicate that this is glow plug or cylinder 3 internal pressure)

under engine section
24948 appears twice (cant find any info on this)
24825 (cant find any info on this)
15560 (EGR valve ??)

under headlight aiming section
5275648 (something to do with switching from left to right hand driving)

under battery regulator section
02256 (something to do with quiescent current)

will get it booked in as the wardrobe door fell to bits in the summer as well
where is a good place to take it near to matlock ? i took it to derby last time but they wont touch anything to do with habitation as they are just van dealers

merry xmas !

labybower and derwent dams are in full flow at the moment

PANO_20191223_135319.vr.jpg

light came back on after a few miles
not been to dealer yet, but todays codes are:-
under OBD2 section
P13D6 appears 4 times (search results indicate that this is glow plug or cylinder 3 internal pressure)
I think this is the real fault.
The rest as as answered above with the exception of

under headlight aiming section
5275648 (something to do with switching from left to right hand driving)
Your headlights are in Travel mode (Untick this in the lights settings menu)

update !
it when to JCT600 Sheffield
They checked out the faults and just replaced a glow plug
they also updated the ECU under recall 23Z7
and i am now entitled to 8 Ad Blue refills free of charge as apparently the update fixed excessive adblue usage
They could not find out while it stalls under stop-start and are assuming the glow plug was the issue
they have replaced the sliding window to cure the water running down the sliding door when it rains.
however, they would not change the wardrobe door under warranty (it is falling apart after getting warm in the summer) due to the fact it has a scratch on it so they claim this must be wear and tear, so i will be taking this up with VW. They did quote me £217 to do the work.

time will tell if all is now ok !

they also updated the ECU under recall 23Z7
and i am now entitled to 8 Ad Blue refills free of charge as apparently the update fixed excessive adblue usage
The ECU update notably increases Adblue usage due to more frequent regens. The free Adblue is supposed to make you feel better about the increased usage, which will continue after the vouchers are spent.

Last edited:
The ECU update notably increases Adblue usage due to more frequent regens. The free Adblue is supposed to make you feel better about the increased usage, which will continue after the vouchers are spent.

really !!!
i was told it would reduce the adblue usage as it seems excessive
but what you say makes sense after the emissions scandle

really !!!
i was told it would reduce the adblue usage as it seems excessive
but what you say makes sense after the emissions scandle
and why would VW give 8 free fill-ups if what you were told was correct.

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot with your Cali. I hope it is all sorted now.
Out of curiosity... which sliding window was replaced? Kitchen or sliding door?

EDIT - sliding door based on your post above.

Back