Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Regret going for Beach over Ocean? Or vice versa?

and in our Ocean all that lot is either built in or fits in the kitchen cupboards, leaving the space under the rear shelf empty.....

I very much doubt you could fit even half of all the detritus we ship about in our crates in the Ocean’s cupboards and wardrobe.

I very much doubt you could fit even half of all the detritus we ship about in our crates in the Ocean’s cupboards and wardrobe.

Looking at the contents of the see through ones & the awning set up, everything you have there is either fridge ( built in), hob ( built in), water (built in), gas ( locker for that) cooking utensils / plates etc ( cupboards ) food ( cupboards & seat draw) Cadac - we use the bigger one for outside cooking & it fits in the underseat draw.

So I don't doubt everything would fit in, & I havn't used the wardrobe, overhead locker or the boot cupboard yet.

Looking at the contents of the see through ones & the awning set up, everything you have there is either fridge ( built in), hob ( built in), water (built in), gas ( locker for that) cooking utensils / plates etc ( cupboards ) food ( cupboards & seat draw) Cadac - we use the bigger one for outside cooking & it fits in the underseat draw.

So I don't doubt everything would fit in, & I havn't used the wardrobe, overhead locker or the boot cupboard yet.

I’m out walking the dog right now, but when I get home I’ll measure the internal capacity of each of the nine crates, drawers, trays and box, and give a total capacity in litres.

I’ll also work out how many bottles of wine would fit in each crate, drawer, tray and box. I already know that the capacity of just one plywood crate is 28 bottles.

While draining the Ocean’s fresh water tank and decanting bottles of wine into it is a credibly glorious idea, the capacity should be in complete and unbroken bottles with reasonably easy access.

No need, the internal volume of the vans are exactly the same, the ocean will obviously have more space to put stuff as there is less room taken up by seats!

You put your stuff in crates, I put mine in cupboards.

O/P.
I suggest you hire both. Just going for a look won’t give you the answers.
I can only sum up the difference between the two with the following pictures.
One is a camping trip in a Beach. The other is a camping trip in an Ocean.
2 adults 1Child

Beach
CE78CE46-9F55-43D0-AECD-803625686155.jpeg

Ocean
14C9EAB4-A6D9-4D33-9F0A-85B62CA88A33.jpeg

Oh dear it’s started again!

each to their own, life would be boring if we all did the same as everyone else And VW would only sell one camper

This discussion makes me smile every time.

be happy with what you have chosen (or not) and be happy for others that choose a different way to you.

Note all the posts by Beach owners explain how to store stuff, which fridge, which cooker etc, etc; and the paucity of posts from Ocean owners.
Why is that?
Maybe because, apart from not being able to carry 7 passengers, the Ocean just does it straight from the forecourt and can cope come rain come shine.
We are strange as we cook in our house and in our California and long gone are the days I want to cook my breakfast under a tailgate in horizontal rain when I can just lift the cooker lid, put the kettle on and cook my bacon & eggs in comfort in a French Aire listening to the radio.
Don't forget to factor in the equipment and storage systems that make the Beach work and unless you unload all that after each trip your probably carrying as much extra weight as an Ocean with its kitchen etc:.
Every thing you say is true W.G. however for the benefit of the OP, the differences are more complex than you have said and therefore worthy of further discussion.

As you have said, the SE/Coast/Ocean format is a ready to go design which is very attractive to potential owners. The showroom allure of the glossy fully fitted kitchen etc compared to the more utilitarian interior of the Beach is difficult to resist to the point that I suspect many potential buyers never consider the Beach to be a viable alternative.

For anyone considering a Beach, @WelshGas is also correct in saying that the cost to equip it can also be substantial although it doesn't need to be. Pull out boot trays, compressor fridges, storage solutions, and kitchen pods are all very expensive add ons which will substantially increase your outlay. That outlay will have also included the cost of the basic Beach plus your chosen options which in the case of the Beach are disproportionally expensive. VW treat Beach owners as a cash cow in that respect so expect your options to push the cost of your Beach closer to Coast or even Ocean territory. When I ordered our last Beach I wanted a good spec and this was the result before discount and that's not including additional dealer fitted accessories:

20200601_231857.jpg

So buying a well specced Beach compared to a Coast or an Ocean can be a very expensive proposition as potential buyers will quickly find out. That is why well optioned Beaches are so rare.

There is also the considerable research that's necessary to devise and in some cases make, your own preferred internal stowage system which may also require several revisions before you get it right. This is all hassle when compared to the slick, ready to go fully fitted alternative. So there will always be a very strong case for ignoring the Beach and buying the Coast/Ocean instead.

However, all campervans are a compromise and this is where the Beach is stongly worth considering. The biggest selling point with the Beach is it's flexibility. Flexibility that I suggest makes it a far better proposition for people who only wish to own one general purpose multi tasking family vehicle.

Yes, you can take up to six passengers with you, if you own the right version. You might not want to do that very often but it is just one very useful "string to it's bow". Nothing is fixed in a Beach which means that like me, you may well carry everything with you all of the time. However, it can all be removed thereby potentially making the whole rear of the vehicle available for any number of other uses. Having nothing fixed means no issues with getting at and repairing plumbing, gas or fridge related issues that occur from time to time and also no fragile fixtures and fittings to break. The Beach doesn't require the entire kitchen/wardrobe range to be removed in the event of near side accident damage. A problem that is often the case with the SE/Coast/Ocean. In fact the whole vehicle is far less complicated with no electro/hydraulic roof or electrc control devices to provide issues later on in life.

Using a beach as a camper van gives the occupants much more room in the rear. Also the front passenger seat occupant has the same extended leg room as the driver when the front seats are swivelled as there is no kitchen unit in the way. The down stairs bed is enormous, it's width not being compromised by the kitchen wardrobe layout.

Instead of a campervan with four seats and a fixed kitchen layout you have instead a much less complex vehicle that can do everything the former can do (subject to certain accessories e.g portable stove and fridge being provided) with any number of additional flexible possibilities. Less complexity should mean fewer issues and therefore fewer long term costs.

So if you buy an SE/Coast/Ocean you will be able to drive away in a fully fitted campervan with a good level of standard equipment and no further work to do. If you decide to buy a Beach with options you will be paying over the odds for the extra equipment and there will be additional costs involved in providing storage and cooking facilities etc. So it won't necessarily be a cheaper option and that should be fully understood before exploring the Beach variant.

The choice comes down to either "off the peg" or "tailor made". However, should you decide on the latter you will also be getting a far more flexible and arguably, more reliable product.

A lot of Cali O owners state they need do nothing more that get in the van and head out, whereas the poor Beach owners have to pack for each trip. :eek:

that reality is far from an honest answer, unless you don’t wash and change your clothes, towels or bedding between trips, only stock up on food once in the lifetime of the van, never BBQ, never take gear for sports outside activities, never use an awing, additional chairs, sim mats, covers, change water, wash and clean yourself etc etc etc. this is not really the case is it.

come on guys get real or at least be honest with yourselves If not others.

the analogy of a Cali B needing a tent to supplement it is living capability is simply not correct, I assume this was an implication that you must have a tent to be able to cook in a Beach?
there is nothing a Cali B can’t do that a CaliO can do, it comes down to preference.

Don‘t get me wrong I can see why so many choose a CaliO for the romantic notion that you simply jump in the van and drive to you destination, with no need of any other items but the reality is very different in many cases.

I think there’s a psychological mis-element with the Beach.
Because it has the 5/7 seat capacity people presume it has more room.

From years of owning the 5 seat version as two adults, it really worked for us.
It was the arrival of little legs that started to cause so many headaches. As a family, you will need an awning or tent with a Beach.

Personally I can’t stand them...

If your the sort of person who likes erecting canvas and unpacking boxes. The Beach will probably work for you. Yes it’s a bit more flexible, but not a lot.

The only thing I miss of Beach ownership is the manual roof...

A lot of Cali O owners state they need do nothing more that get in the van and head out, whereas the poor Beach owners have to pack for each trip. :eek:

that reality is far from an honest answer, unless you don’t wash and change your clothes, towels or bedding between trips, only stock up on food once in the lifetime of the van, never BBQ, never take gear for sports outside activities, never use an awing, additional chairs, sim mats, covers, change water, wash and clean yourself etc etc etc. this is not really the case is it.

come on guys get real or at least be honest with yourselves If not others.

the analogy of a Cali B needing a tent to supplement it is living capability is simply not correct, I assume this was an implication that you must have a tent to be able to cook in a Beach?
there is nothing a Cali B can’t do that a CaliO can do, it comes down to preference.

Don‘t get me wrong I can see why so many choose a CaliO for the romantic notion that you simply jump in the van and drive to you destination, with no need of any other items but the reality is very different in many cases.
Sorry but disagree. It is not a romantic concept, it is reality. There's an awful lot that with an Ocean you don't need to pack vs a Beach.
Fridge, kitchen, all kitchen utensils, pans, pots, dishes, cutlery etc., gas. Toiletries, towels and everything else that has a place in the in built cupboards and wardrobes.

For a long weekend, It is always ready, I just need to fill in water, clothes, and food. No need to take heavy seats off, heavy kitchen pods in etc....

There will always be far less to prepare a Ocean for long holiday , than a Beach.

No need, the internal volume of the vans are exactly the same, the ocean will obviously have more space to put stuff as there is less room taken up by seats!

You put your stuff in crates, I put mine in cupboards.
We are comparing capacity under the level of the Beach's higher multiflex, with the Ocean's storage facilities and under the level of the Ocean's lower multiflex.

I've worked out the internal capacity of our 9 boxes and crates at 408 litres and wine capacity at 176 bottles, though the latter has not been properly verified. Note that 408 litres is equivalent to a paltry 0.4 cubic metres, whereas the total boot area of the Beach below the multiflex is approximately 1.5m x 1m x 50cm, 0.75 cubic metres. Huge amounts of space are lost to void areas, and I expect that will be far worse in the Ocean with its cupboards and lockers compared with the single load area in the Beach.

I’ve made my point, you still need to pack, change clothes, add equipment etc,
you can’t just jump in the van and go As would be implied In the romantic notion and justification
The fact that you have to drag all your gear ( rattles and all) with you wherever you go seems to be missed entirely

I can leave all the items you mention above, in my van or, if I choose or take them out to add Flexibility and be ready to go at the drop of a hat With the same preparation as you.

I can pack my fridge in the house and take it to the van when I choose.

what seems to be generally missing is an acceptance that some people want to do things differently or have the flexibility that a Cali B offers.

We are comparing capacity under the level of the Beach's higher multiflex, with the Ocean's storage facilities and under the level of the Ocean's lower multiflex.

I've worked out the internal capacity of our 9 boxes and crates at 408 litres and wine capacity at 176 bottles, though the latter has not been properly verified. Note that 408 litres is equivalent to a paltry 0.4 cubic metres, whereas the total boot area of the Beach below the multiflex is approximately 1.5m x 1m x 50cm, 0.75 cubic metres. Huge amounts of space are lost to void areas, and I expect that will be far worse in the Ocean with its cupboards and lockers compared with the single load area in the Beach.
The rear bench can be moved to carry more. with the bench in the same position, the Ocean has 1.2m wide x 1m x 38cm under th shelf in the highest position. That's 456 Liters.
So you boxes are sorted. Now need to fit all those 176 bottles in cupboards , wardrobes and

I think there’s a psychological mis-element with the Beach.
Because it has the 5/7 seat capacity people presume it has more room.

From years of owning the 5 seat version as two adults, it really worked for us.
It was the arrival of little legs that started to cause so many headaches. As a family, you will need an awning or tent with a Beach.

Personally I can’t stand them...

If your the sort of person who likes erecting canvas and unpacking boxes. The Beach will probably work for you. Yes it’s a bit more flexible, but not a lot.

The only thing I miss of Beach ownership is the manual roof...
On three occasions I have happily headed out to the hills of England and Wales in our Beach with Ben and Meg for a long weekend with no awning. We eat downstairs and sleep upstairs and cook under the awning. With four of us plus Meg an awning gives us a proper living/dining area and two bedrooms. I think, therefore, it is the number of people on a camping trip the deciding factor in awning or no awning, not Beach vs Ocean.

Can you imagine two adults and two children spending a rainy week in an Ocean with no awning? I dread to think of it. However, I can imagine the same in a Beach with an awning.

Sorry but disagree. It is not a romantic concept, it is reality. There's an awful lot that with an Ocean you don't need to pack vs a Beach.
Fridge, kitchen, all kitchen utensils, pans, pots, dishes, cutlery etc., gas. Toiletries, towels and everything else that has a place in the in built cupboards and wardrobes.

For a long weekend, It is always ready, I just need to fill in water, clothes, and food. No need to take heavy seats off, heavy kitchen pods in etc....

There will always be far less to prepare a Ocean for long holiday , than a Beach.
...but doesn't that suggest that a Beach owner can't leave all of those items in their own tailor made solution in the van?

Whether it be a pull out tray, boot crates, a kitchen pod, or any of the other amazing options that are out there, once someone has got their Beach set up the way they want it, they could leave everything in the van in the same way I do in my Ocean. It definitely gives you more options and I think that is the drive behind so many of the Beach threads.

Ultimately, I think we all agree that working out how you want to use your van is the most important aspect here, and if you're not 100% certain, and perhaps even if you are, hire one and double check!!!

...but doesn't that suggest that a Beach owner can't leave all of those items in their own tailor made solution in the van?

Whether it be a pull out tray, boot crates, a kitchen pod, or any of the other amazing options that are out there, once someone has got their Beach set up the way they want it, they could leave everything in the van in the same way I do in my Ocean. It definitely gives you more options and I think that is the drive behind so many of the Beach threads.

Ultimately, I think we all agree that working out how you want to use your van is the most important aspect here, and if you're not 100% certain, and perhaps even if you are, hire one and double check!!!
Of course. one can prepare a Beach to be ready to camp in a whim. I doubt though that the "tailor made" solution to make a Beach an Ocean are better than a... Ocean!

I may add, regarding flexibility, if I need to carry stuff, motorbikes or furniture, I just rent a trailer.

How many posts do you see about improving the storage in a CaliO, shelves , drawers etc !

So 294 litres or 64% more under the Beach multiflex.

Is that made up with the Ocean's wardrobe, under sink cupboard and overhead locker?
It is going to be quite difficult to measure! But let's take just the cupboard under the hob/sink. I don't have a Cali here to measure, but remembering the containers I fit in it It should be somewhere like 80w x 40d x 60h. so right there 190 Liters.
The wardrobe is 39 x 49 x ~80 = 153Liters. Than there is the rear ward/cupboard and the "airplane" cupboard.
Also something you need to carry in a beach but that's hidden and not included in my calculations above, it's the 30L water tank and grey water tank.

I really don’t know why this is hard to understand. In my Beach, all of this has its place and is ready to go with 5 seats, just add food, water and clothes and I’m off. No moving of seats or pods. The only difference is that when I use it for my sports group with 7 people, the sliding drawers of kitchen stuff come out, the multiflex board folds to its shortened position and the 6th and 7th seats go in, which is something an Ocean simply cannot do. For those who don’t want or need this, an Ocean will be perfect.

Last edited:
How many posts do you see about improving the storage in a CaliO, shelves , drawers etc !
Many , of which I am guilty writing in them too. But it is usually about improving access/usability rather than increasing volume.
I think a lot depends on how do you camp.

I really don’t know why this is hard to understand. In my Beach, all of this has it’s place and is ready to go, just add food, water and clothes and I’m off. No moving of seats or pods. The only difference is that when I use it for my sports group with 7 people, the sliding drawers of kitchen stuff come out, the multiflex board folds to its shortened position and the 6th and 7th seats go in, which is something an Ocean simply cannot do. For those who don’t want or need this, an Ocean will be perfect.
It seems a simple concept is hard for some to comprehend

I really don’t know why this is hard to understand. In my Beach, all of this has it’s place and is ready to go, just add food, water and clothes and I’m off. No moving of seats or pods. The only difference is that when I use it for my sports group with 7 people, the sliding drawers of kitchen stuff come out, the multiflex board folds to its shortened position and the 6th and 7th seats go in, which is something an Ocean simply cannot do. For those who don’t want or need this, an Ocean will be perfect.
I agree. I was merely replying trying to explain that it is indeed possible to have the van ready to camp. In the Ocean with the provided furniture, in a Beach with "after market" solutions.

Back