Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Regret going for Beach over Ocean? Or vice versa?

CFX35s is better as it’s portable, so can double up as a beer fridge in the garage, home or garden!
The CFX 35 and other Waeco Dometic compressor fridges are also designed to be proper fridge/freezers whereas the built in one in the SE/Coast/Ocean is basically only a fridge. Having said that it will freeze stuff if placed in the right place, bottom-back wall and then only if turned up to max.

Hi Bob,

the Ocean Vs Beach debate (now also Coast) is a much debated topic, to which their is no correct answer. Otherwise VW would only sell one model

The answer is dependant on You and how You will use it Now and inThe near future.

There can sometimes a slight undertone that the Cali B or Cali C is some way inferior to the Cali O or is a poor substitute for a CaliO or in some way is not a proper camper, which could not be further from the truth.

A camper van is a Van that you use for camping, not what is fixed inside and where it is fixed Or what make the roof go up / down or where you store you gear etc.

I don’t subscribe to the “cost difference“ argument of a well specced Beach being too close to a Cali O, it is some what irrelevant particularly in the current market.
It comes down to how you will your Van, not what the cost of original purchase may be vs a different list of fixed options / set up, hydro mechanical devices etc .
A particular set up may or may not suit your needs.

Similarly I wouldn’t be buying a vehicle based on the perceived resale ! you may as well save yourself any depreciation (yes they do depreciate, but no as much as other vehicles) and keep hold of your money ?

I believe the resale argument to be a major misnomer by Cali O owners ( try buying a well specced Cali B at a reasonable cost), they simply do not come on the market with the same frequency as CaliO’s which are run of the mill in the second hand market, a point severely missed or overlooked by some, particularly when comparing apples for apples)

many good points made by one side or the other, but they are merely points that justify that persons ownership of their chosen vehicle and is their justification particular to that persons / families needs etc, not necessarily suited to your needs.

I came from a T2 Devon, T5 Velle, T5.1 combi and Now a 7 seat Beach, so have some experience of on board kitchen and full Camper van set up

I also come from tent camping as a child with my parents and as a parent myself. camping with my kids was initially under Canvas ( the T2 went before kids came along) mainly serviced by the Combi, which was a great cavernous space ideal for tent camping.

my decision to buy. Cali B was based purely on my family’ perceived needs and how we may regularly and realistically use it, based on my experience to date, the later is an important thing to recognise, look at how many CaliO’s are advertised with “ never cooked in the van” or “upper bed still with plastic” “2000 miles from new“ on etc. ( you get the idea)

Seldom did I cook in the T2, it didn't suit the way I used the van, instead I cooked outside despite having a kitchen in the van ! Therefore when looking at Cali‘s I knew i didn’t want a fixed kitchen to take up room permanently and be carried with me always.

The Velle and Combi offered a full width seat / bed, the T2 didn’t, when assessing a Cali O, I could not see two adults sleeping as comfortably as i did (and do) on a full width bed.

my current set up is predominantly 5 seat camper mode, wind out awning (drive away awning when inclement or away for 5+ days) CFX35 fridge freezer in the van when camping / days out etc, window bags for clothes storage when camping ( removed from the van when not camping).
I have many different ways I can choose to pack the van and various set ups I can call upon for different types of trip, duration etc, mainly because the only fixed items I have to carry are the seats, which can be configured to suit various scenarios Or simply removed to create more space. (Including A full load area)
Space and how you will use it in a VW transporter based van is at a severe premium particularly for 4+ occupants while camping. it should be considered realistically as it has the ability to influence you enjoyment more than anything else.( most everthing else can be overcome or a compromise can be found)

In my instance two additional seats can be added to the Cali B easily when I want to carry 6 passenger, (which is surprisingly often with two kids who invariably want to take friends out with them).

Consider Electro hydraulic roof Vs Manual, another well debated subject and one that many a CaliO owner would openly admit that they would prefer the simplicity of the manual roof had It been offered on a CaliO. Cost of future repairs / complexity of potential problems In future.

the best advice I can give you, given what you have posted is, go with what will suit your needs over the next few years.

if that be a CaliO or CaliB or a CaliC go for it.

if in future your circumstances or the way you use the van as initially intended changes, then you can chop your van in for the next best thing, The residuals will be comparative across the range. (High specced Beach very rare = great residual)

don’t let the argument and counter argument for / against one particular model sway your thinking past a cursory pause for thought, before dismissing, particularly where they simply may not apply to your unique set of circumstances

Only you know how you intend to use it and only you will know if you made the right decision (after the event).
The goal is to get out and have fun.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck in whatever You decide And look forward to some photos of the Cali soon :cheers

Last edited:
I'll include a fridge when I try to visualise packing the Beach then. It would replace a cool box anyway, so it's not an extra lump, just a bit bigger.

We usually strap ours behind the front passenger seat: if you have bikes on the tailgate you cannot access the boot.

Thanks for that excellent advice @Perfectos
It's an insane amount of money and you have to suspend your sense of rationality a little - if it was a purely rational purchase, it'd be an estate car and tent, and a loyalty card for a cheap french hotel chain. That'd cover most eventualities and the change would pay for campervan hire every summer for years!

I'm slightly worried the family are going to fall in love with the Ocean when they get to have a poke around in it, now I'm almost convinced we need the 2 seater Beach.

Here in the Basque Country the campervan is almost the national vehicle, and I probably see 5 Beaches for every one Ocean. Partly down to price obviously but perhaps it's more suited?

Hi Bob,

the Ocean Vs Beach debate (now also Coast) is a much debated topic, to which their is no correct answer. Otherwise VW would only sell one model

The answer is dependant on You and how You will use it Now and I. The near future.

There can sometimes a slight undertone that the Cali B or Cali C is some way inferior to the Cali O or is a poor substitute for a CaliO or in some way is not a proper camper, which could not be further from the truth.

A camper van is a Van that you use for camping, not what is fixed inside and where it is fixed Or what make the roof go up / down or where you store you gear etc.

I don’t subscribe to the “cost difference“ argument of a well specced Beach being too close to a Cali O, it is some what irrelevan, partic in the current market.
It comes down to how you will your Van, not what the cost of original purchase may be vs a different list of fixed options / set up, hydro mechanical devices etc .
A particular set up may or may not suit your needs.

Similarly I wouldn’t be buying a vehicle based on the perceived resale ! (you may as well save yourself any depreciation (yes they do depreciate, but no as much as other vehicles) and keep hold of your money ?

I believe the resale argument to be a major misnomer by Cali O owners ( try buying a well specced Cali B at a reasonable cost, (they simply do not come on the market with the same frequency as CaliO’s which are run of the mill in the second hand market, a point severely missed or overlooked by some, particularly when comparing apples for apples)

many good points made by one side or the other, but they are merely points that justify that persons ownership of their chosen vehicle and is their justification particular to that persons / families needs etc, not necessarily suited to your needs.

I came from a T2 Devon, T5 Velle, T5.1 combi and Now a 7 seat Beach, so have some experience of on board kitchen and full Campervantastic set up

I also come from tent camping as a child with my parents and as a parent myself. camping with my kids was initially under Canvas ( the T2 went before kids came along) mainly serviced by the Combi, which was a great cavernous space ideal for tent camping.

my decision to buy. Cali B was based purely on my family’ perceived needs and how we may regularly and realistically use it, based on my experience to date, the later is an important thing to recognise, look at how many CaliO’s are advertised with “ never cooked in the van” or “upper bed still with plastic” “2000 miles from new“ on etc. ( you get the idea)

Seldom did I cook in the T2, it didn't suit the way I used the van, instead I cooked outside despite having a kitchen in the van ! Therefore when looking at Cali‘s I knew i didn’t want a fixed kitchen to take up room permanently and be carried with me always.

The Velle and Combi offered a full width seat / bed, the T2 didn’t, when assessing a Cali O, I could not see two adults sleeping as comfortably as i did (and do) on a full width bed.

my current set up is predominantly 5 seat camper mode, wind out awning (drive away awning when inclement or away for 5+ days) CFX35 fridge freezer in the van when camping / days out etc, window bags for clothes storage when camping ( removed from the van when not camping).
I have many different ways I can choose to pack the van and various set ups I can call upon for different types of trip, duration etc, mainly because
if you have bikes on the tailgate you cannot access the boot.
Oh yes you can. Just get a couple of the sleeves that slide over the gas struts; then it will stay open with 4 bikes on.

Last edited:
I'll include a fridge when I try to visualise packing the Beach then. It would replace a cool box anyway, so it's not an extra lump, just a bit bigger.
You can put it where you choose is most convenient

including the boot with bike on

there is always a solution

503941EE-7DC9-4F97-BBA4-F63BA32B4AC6.jpeg

90F5E943-A66F-4C90-A956-4D5B4EED4450.jpeg

7C930179-3BEA-427B-9F44-339D60FF9A7F.jpeg

E22C2835-AE35-48D4-A324-96789355DD86.jpeg

BE1C816A-C520-4194-A20F-9C4711274F82.jpeg

I’d decided on the 2 seater really but what actually is the 3 seater bench? Is it the same as I’ve got in my T5 Multivan? I find that a bit lumpy and too short, not a bed at all but a seat that fold flat for carrying stuff. The storage underneath is poor too. Can’t be the same one surely?

if carrying capacity is more important than people carrying, which makes more sense?

I’d decided on the 2 seater really but what actually is the 3 seater bench? Is it the same as I’ve got in my T5 Multivan? I find that a bit lumpy and too short, not a bed at all but a seat that fold flat for carrying stuff. The storage underneath is poor too. Can’t be the same one surely?

if carrying capacity is more important than people carrying, which makes more sense?
The 3 seater has the multiflexboard (adjustable parcel shelf in the back which allows bed to bed to be set a different lengths). Seat/Bed sits higher on the 3 seater v 2 seat so allows more storage underneath - whereas 2 seater has more storage on the side.

You need a mattress which lays over the top & is designed to iron out the contours/ seat belt bumps.Folds to sit on the multiflex board when not used.

Thanks @Ch1pbutty , must be different to mine then because the storage under it is terrible, most of the space occupied by the folding mechanism. Does the mattress topper come standard?

Thanks @Ch1pbutty , must be different to mine then because the storage under it is terrible, most of the space occupied by the folding mechanism. Does the mattress topper come standard?
It’s different to a Caravelle (or at least it is in ourfriends van), and to confuse things further...the MFB on 2 seat Beach is different to 3 seat Beach!

Mattress topper will be extra, as with all things VW.

Hi Bob,

see post #82, above, photo 4
the comfort mattress is the black full width thing under the green and grey bags. it is folded up and sitting on the multiflex board ( bed extension )

the multiflex is the grey board above the fridge and below the mattress, this extend the seat length when made into a bed so it become a full size sleeping area

see photo below the matress is in A plastic bag, folded up, sitting on the multiflex board

8817547C-9107-4D72-AF29-0A4ECF6266AB.jpeg

The 3 seater has the multiflexboard (adjustable parcel shelf in the back which allows bed to bed to be set a different lengths). Seat/Bed sits higher on the 3 seater v 2 seat so allows more storage underneath - whereas 2 seater has more storage on the side.

You need a mattress which lays over the top & is designed to iron out the contours/ seat belt bumps.Folds to sit on the multiflex board when not used.
We don’t need a mattress downstairs on our rear 2 seater Beach.

Keep in mind that the bed in the 2 seat bench Beach is lower and flatter like the Ocean, with a large drawer under the bench, while the 3 seat bench is higher like the Multivan. There is more storage under the adjustable length multiflex extension board of the 3 seat bench. For example, a fridge will fit, while it won't under the 2 seat bed extension. The original design reason that the 3 seat bench multiflex extension is adjustable in length is that the shortened version allows 7 seats to be fitted with ample leg room, while the solid 2 seat bench extension board does not. The shortened version also allows a long bed to be made up with all 7 seats fitted. (To add more confusion, the high spec Multivan on the Continent is called the Caravelle in the UK, while on the Continent the Caravelle is a much lower spec vehicle than the Multivan, without seat rails, sliding seats or folding bed.)

Last edited:
With the 3 seat bench, the bed is 1.8m by 1.5m. The comfort mattress (~£200 extra) makes the bed perfectly flat. We put a £60 Ikea Talgje mattress topper on top of the Comfort mattress. Using just the Ikea topper the bed is lumpy.

Storage under the bench seat is cavernous. You have seen @Borris set up. I reconfigured our storage setup at the same time as Borris did his and followed a different path. Rather than convenience and ease of access, I went for capacity and multi-function.

All this in the photo below fits below the multiflex with the bench seat in the forward position to make up the bed.
IMG_2085.JPG
All the above, except the two shallow wooden crates, can remain in the boot under the made up bed. The shallow crates can slide under the van.

We can also make up a small double child bed without lowering the bench seat. This is especially useful for overnight stops as part of a long road journey as we don't need to do any unpacking.
IMG_2094.JPG

And the boxes and crates can be used to make up a rather useful kitchen area in the awning.
IMG_2590.JPG

We had your dilemma and in the end couldn’t make our minds up. We only have two kids and I hankered after the Ocean, after my childhood sleepovers in a T2, but I really liked the multipurpose idea of the Beach. I’m sure someone has already said it but you really can’t go wrong hiring both types and seeing how it works for you in reality.

Firstly, we hired a T6 DSG 204 Ocean . Loved everything about it except the downstairs bed. We slept with our heads near the tailgate and I hated it, as it felt so claustrophobic and tight. I didn’t sleep all week and felt so disappointed that my dream might not work out.

Next we hired the T6 DSG 150 Beach with all the extras I thought we would want, like Vanessa window bags, Vanessa 10cm mattress topper, Vanessa kitchen pod for behind the passenger seat, boxes for the boot etc. The window bags were fantastic and swallowed all our clothes with room to spare. The extra width of the bed was great but we couldn’t make the bed flat enough and this time my husband struggled to sleep comfortably. The kitchen pod was clever but seemed to really get in the way. The 150 engine was fine but we both preferred the larger 204. Again, really sad at this point that the set up wasn’t working for us.

Then someone suggested we sleep in the Ocean with our heads at the other end...Bingo! No more feeling like my face was squashed against the wardrobe. Slept great bar needing a bit more softness from the mattress and we knew we could get that from a topper.

Our minds were made up and within four weeks we were proud owners of our gorgeous van. We even changed our mind on colours after seeing them in the flesh. We wanted Indium Grey or Black and then fell in love with Starlight Blue. Nearly eighteen months later, and despite lockdown, we couldn’t be happier with our decision.

Everyone has their own ‘needs/wants’ from their campervan and only you can work out what they are. It’s a huge amount of money and I recommend hiring both, with the extras you would want to consider, so you can really see if it works for you.

Good luck with your decision and keep us updated on what you decide.

Thanks! It’ll become clearer when I see it, although I’ve no idea yet if it’s a 4 or 5 seat.
Note all the posts by Beach owners explain how to store stuff, which fridge, which cooker etc, etc; and the paucity of posts from Ocean owners.
Why is that?
Maybe because, apart from not being able to carry 7 passengers, the Ocean just does it straight from the forecourt and can cope come rain come shine.
We are strange as we cook in our house and in our California and long gone are the days I want to cook my breakfast under a tailgate in horizontal rain when I can just lift the cooker lid, put the kettle on and cook my bacon & eggs in comfort in a French Aire listening to the radio.
Don't forget to factor in the equipment and storage systems that make the Beach work and unless you unload all that after each trip your probably carrying as much extra weight as an Ocean with its kitchen etc:.

Note all the posts by Beach owners explain how to store stuff, which fridge, which cooker etc, etc; and the paucity of posts from Ocean owners.
Why is that?
Maybe because, apart from not being able to carry 7 passengers, the Ocean just does it straight from the forecourt and can cope come rain come shine.
We are strange as we cook in our house and in our California and long gone are the days I want to cook my breakfast under a tailgate in horizontal rain when I can just lift the cooker lid, put the kettle on and cook my bacon & eggs in comfort in a French Aire listening to the radio.
Don't forget to factor in the equipment and storage systems that make the Beach work and unless you unload all that after each trip your probably carrying as much extra weight as an Ocean with its kitchen etc:.
That was the deciding factor for my husband; it had to be 'ready to go'.

We wanted everything there, bar food and clothes, so we could be on the road quickly and chairs out, feet up and drink in hand within moments at our destination. Of course, I would love to be able to take an extra friend or two with us in the van, but I can count on one hand how often we have done that in 25 years, so we knew it wasn't as important as getting it right for our family's needs.

On the cooking front, we still carry our portable burners in the boot, for when we want to cook outside. When we hired the Ocean it was early summer and we cooked outside most of the time because the weather was lovely, using the internal hob for cups of tea and toast. With the Beach it was a cold October half term and we cooked inside on a single burner the entire time, because it rained every evening. Both work brilliantly and mean you always have flexibility. Being able to make a cup of tea without having to get out of bed in the morning is a prerequisite in my opinion, but you can do that in either van, so happy days ;-)

Last edited:
I think after all is said, the most important factor in choosing between a Beach and an Ocean is whether you will want to use it to carry more than 4 people. If it’s your only car, a vehicle that big and heavy that can only carry four people may not be the answer if you could use the extra passenger space on a regular basis. If it’s your second vehicle and you won’t need it to carry more passengers or other large loads (I’ve had 5 people and 9 bikes in mine, 5 behind the bench and 4 on the rack), the Ocean is the better option.

I've only warmed a bit of milk inside my Ocean once and never cooked inside my Cali Ocean. I always cook outside. Why would I want to stink the van of greasy meat ? But that would not change if I had a Beach with a Kitchen Pod or a 9 meter Big white or Caravan. So you will be needing/using your existing gear anyway, to cook outside.
The Ocean weights 110kg more than a comparable Beach (same engine/gearbox/dual A/C and all other "driving comforts"). That's for the Fridge and furniture. And the electric roof. Not wanting an electric roof, is like not wanting a Cabrio with electric roof.... let's leave it there.
The 110kg seems a lot, but we are talking 2610kg vs 2500kg, barely 5% provided you have nothing of your camping pods/vanessa bags/waeco fridge in the Beach. Realistic?

To be clear with my Beach colleagues, the Beach has also unique advantages. I would consider the Beach for those people who would otherwise need a Multivan/Caravelle for their daily needs (7 seats/hauling stuff etc), but would love to be able to transform it in a Camper.

If you think you'd like to always have the convenience to wash your hands (during Covid turned out quite useful) , a fridge ready, and a Van ready for adventure 24/7/365 than Ocean.
If you need always daily a people carrier or a transporter get a BEach, it can be converted to an awesome camper.

All this in the photo below fits below the multiflex with the bench seat in the forward position to make up the bed.
View attachment 74971
and in our Ocean all that lot is either built in or fits in the kitchen cupboards, leaving the space under the rear shelf empty.....

We had your dilemma and in the end couldn’t make our minds up. We only have two kids and I hankered after the Ocean, after my childhood sleepovers in a T2, but I really liked the multipurpose idea of the Beach. I’m sure someone has already said it but you really can’t go wrong hiring both types and seeing how it works for you in reality.

Firstly, we hired a T6 DSG 204 Ocean . Loved everything about it except the downstairs bed. We slept with our heads near the tailgate and I hated it, as it felt so claustrophobic and tight. I didn’t sleep all week and felt so disappointed that my dream might not work out.

Next we hired the T6 DSG 150 Beach with all the extras I thought we would want, like Vanessa window bags, Vanessa 10cm mattress topper, Vanessa kitchen pod for behind the passenger seat, boxes for the boot etc. The window bags were fantastic and swallowed all our clothes with room to spare. The extra width of the bed was great but we couldn’t make the bed flat enough and this time my husband struggled to sleep comfortably. The kitchen pod was clever but seemed to really get in the way. The 150 engine was fine but we both preferred the larger 204. Again, really sad at this point that the set up wasn’t working for us.

Then someone suggested we sleep in the Ocean with our heads at the other end...Bingo! No more feeling like my face was squashed against the wardrobe. Slept great bar needing a bit more softness from the mattress and we knew we could get that from a topper.

Our minds were made up and within four weeks we were proud owners of our gorgeous van. We even changed our mind on colours after seeing them in the flesh. We wanted Indium Grey or Black and then fell in love with Starlight Blue. Nearly eighteen months later, and despite lockdown, we couldn’t be happier with our decision.

Everyone has their own ‘needs/wants’ from their campervan and only you can work out what they are. It’s a huge amount of money and I recommend hiring both, with the extras you would want to consider, so you can really see if it works for you.

Good luck with your decision and keep us updated on what you decide.
I'm glad you eventually found a way of making a Cali work for you. Hiring both versions before you buy is sound advice. If more people did that I'm sure the Cali's For Sale section would be a little less crowded.

I must admit that we didn't do that before buying our first SE. Fortunately we loved it from day one. However, as mentioned before, we later discovered the Beach which suits our needs rather better.

Interestingly, we went into the showroom looking for a Caravelle with a bed pack so that we could have seven seats and a downstairs bed for the occasional short break away. Effectively, we left with their Pearlescent Black four seat ex demo 4motion SE with all the bells and whistles. Such was the allure of the California and the skill of the salesman! At that time we threw our list of requirements out of the window telling ourselves we would re-visit the seven seat issue when our grand kids were slightly older. It was a rather selfish act which we had little trouble in justifying.

It was only five months later that we returned for the Caravelle. This time the same salesman, a delightful man called Laine Watts at SMG Tonbridge, showed us their seven seat Beach demonstrator. His words were, "What do you want a Caravelle for when you can have one of these instead ?" So we bought their then unregistered seven seat demo Beach!

At that time I felt that if only the Caravelle with twin sliders, could have a bed in the roof then it would have been our perfect vehicle. Here we are five years later and just such a vehicle now exists in the form of the Beach "Tour". However, being on our second Beach I'm not so sure the second slider is a game changer any more.

The master plan was that the Beach was intended to replace our ageing second family car and I had envisaged running the SE purely for our use and the Beach as the general purpose family hack. In the end it turned out that Mrs B, being a rather timid driver, was unwilling to drive the Beach so reluctantly I had to replace the old family car she used with a shiny three year old Skoda Superb estate. And so sadly the SE became a Cali too many and sadly had to go. Best laid plans etc etc....

All in all a rather convoluted experience which hiring may have prevented, if we had known about the Beach then. Having said that I have no regrets.

Last edited:
Back