Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach or Ocean???

M

MattUnited

Vehicle
Looking to buy
We are looking to get a Cali and not sure whether to get an Ocean or a Beach for £10k less and buy a unit for a sink, fridge and hob. The Ocean does look like it is ready made and will be very convenient but on the other hand the Beach should have a bigger bed and more space.

Does anyone who has an Ocean regret paying the extra as they find they hardly use the kitchen unit?

Welcome , do some reading on the forum , these things been brought up several times before.
On the end it's your choice and money that counts

Only you can make the decision. Some have strong views but I would never base a purchase on anothers choice. I use my Ocean as intended and no matter the weather cook in comfort and all clothing etc is hidden from view and permanently loaded and vehicle ready to move whenever. I prefer a campervan and that is an Ocean but recognise the Beach may suit many others. Why not borrow or hire both to try out.

I would go for a beach with a parking heater (I have a beach without a heater) only reason I say this is I don't think I would ever cook in the van, more space/Bigger bed in beach (3 bench Seat only) with a 10k saving. That's my opinion but like others have said its personal choice.

Does anyone who has an Ocean regret paying the extra as they find they hardly use the kitchen unit?

Welcome Matt. We have an SE (=Ocean) but we don't give the cooker too much to do, as when it's nice weather we cook outside in a Cobb (BBQ/oven) and when it's not we usually go to a pub. We do use the stove for breakfast coffee etc - as we rarely use electric hook up - but a little canister gas stove would be just fine for that unless it was raining sideways.

If you haven't already seen them, look at the Slidepod (google it, and loads on this forum) which gives you a very clever 'built in' kitchen facility to use when you want while retaining the big bed etc of the Beach.

Although we don't over-use the kitchen, we'd probably still stick with the SE/Ocean format as it works well for us in other ways, eg what Digger said about staying ready to go.

But it really, really is going to depend on how you expect to use the van, eg:
- Camping trips only, or camping + general days out, and/or daily driver?
- Just two of you, or + kids (sometimes/always)? Dogs?
- Are you keen cooks and/or enjoy outdoor cooking?
- Organised campsites, and/or 'field with a toilet block', and/or wild camping, and/or french Aires?
- Summer only, or all year round? (the auxiliary heater is crucial for 4-season use).
- Short or long stops?
- With or without an awning?
- Do you like sleeping in the pop-top, or prefer downstairs?

And a lot of those questions will need personal field testing, so the best advice is to hire first (even though few of us I expect actually did that ;)).

Let rip with the search button on the forum but don't be afraid to ask whatever questions you want too.

I set out to buy an Ocean but what ultimately put me off of it was that, in Switzerland anyway, the Ocean can not be licensed for more than 4 seats. Our Golf has 5. This was the deal breaker. We are just a family of 4, but the number of times we need a fifth seat (or 6th or 7th for that matter) was too frequent.

I haven't gotten a kitchen pod yet, and not sure I will, but have test fit a couple. In the space of half an hour, our Beach can be converted from a full camper with 5 seats and a kitchen (sink, hob, and fridge) to a utility van with only 2 seats upfront and 700kg useful load. That's 2 heavy big motorcycles, and there is still space and load available for the fridge full of beer and a few sandwiches if one so desires.

The Ocean is awesome, but not as versatile as as Beach. If I had the money, I'd have both! But since I had to choose, it's versatility/adaptability all the way.

I would go for a beach with a parking heater (I have a beach without a heater) only reason I say this is I don't think I would ever cook in the van, more space/Bigger bed in beach (3 bench Seat only) with a 10k saving. That's my opinion but like others have said its personal choice.
I agree. I miss the heater. I have a two seater bench in mine so the bed down stairs is huge. As a daily driver beach is great.

Everyone had different views on the matter. For me:
The Ocean is the ultimate compact campervan
The Beach is a seven seat MPV that is very good as a camping van.
The Beach can do everything an Ocean can do, but an Ocean cannot do everything a Beach can do. However, the Beach requires set up work for camping, kitchen etc, while the Ocean is ready to go.

The Beach is better for families with two or three children; the Ocean for single campers, couples or parents with one child.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I would echo the above, wise words. It's all dependent on how many of you there are and how you like to camp.

I have a beach and have a regular older campervan too. It really is a totally different solution for different situations. The beach is my daily driver.

I did a little thread after 2 weeks driving around Scotland in our beach. Amarillo has been on the road in their beach with family and a dog for coming upto a year now? Or maybe longer?

I sometimes crave an Ocean but that is usually when the weather is bad and I'd like a cooker inside (easily resolved) and/or camping out of season. I think if I was solo or just 2 of us I would get an Ocean.

I did have a heater retrofitted into my Beach too which was brilliant. I also have a compressor fridge which can be dropped in and out.

If you want versatile and something that can switch purposes easily then it is the beach. You will however have to think about how you cook etc and where you store stuff.

If you want everything already in place and a fixed camper then its the ocaan but you will have a smaller bed downstairs and less internal space.

Neither is perfect , both are compromises over the other but one may suit you far more than the other.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/challenges-of-long-holidays-in-a-beach.20906/#post-237352

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-weekend-with-our-beach-and-slidepod.17948/

Hi Matt, I agree with Velma's Dad, it really depends on how you want/need to use it. Not just for going away but every day.

Perhaps if you give some info on usage it might be easier to advise...

Unlike some I don't think there's a huge difference between the two when it comes to camping. Add a small gas stove (which can be used in or outside the van), a fridge (preferably a compressor type), a couple of euro crates in the boot for storage and a pair of window bags (say £750 for that lot) and you have a ready to use campervan.

Spec the parking heater to add all year around to that description.

Likewise, I don't think there's much between them for day to day use. Plenty of people here use the Ocean as a daily drive. The Beach has greater flexibility perhaps.

Cost gets pretty close as well with a well species Beach.

In my experience it came down to a couple of details. I wanted an Ocean originally but went for a Beach simply because I need to carry 5 people regularly (sometimes more) and I wanted the wider downstairs bed.

Steve

I would probably also consider that second leisure battery too after a few years of useage.

If its all about the money, that 10k difference soon gets eaten up by the time you've paid for the parking heater etc for the beach that come as standard on an Ocean.

Come resale/trade in time a basic Ocean will have retained more money than a Beach with 10K worth of extras.

The most important thing is how many people you want to carry - do you want a 7 seat car that you can camp in or a 4 /5 seat camper that you can use as a car?

The most important thing is how many people you want to carry - do you want a 7 seat car that you can camp in or a 4 /5 seat camper that you can use as a car?

Small but I think important point on that... I'd advise NOT to think of the Ocean as a 5-seater, it's really only a 4-seater. Yes you can buy the removable 5th seat (I have one that came with our van, it's in the cellar, never used it) but it's a hulking great thing to put in and out. And, when installed, it really would compromise the camp-ability - eg I guess you'd have to take it out of the van completely to put the lower bed down.

So if you actually need five seats for anything at all, think very carefully before you assume an Ocean will do it for you, even with the optional 5th seat.

Headroom can be tight when sitting on the bed in one of the Beach variants, look on YouTube at reviews and comparisons

We have no problem camping with four in our SE.

Headroom can be tight when sitting on the bed in one of the Beach variants, look on YouTube at reviews and comparisons

We have no problem camping with four in our SE.
I have the two seater bench version which give the same headroom as the Ocean. Its the 5 seater Beach that has restricted head room.

The Beach can do everything an Ocean can do, but an Ocean cannot do everything a Beach can do
Really ?
Can you boil a kettle (safely) with water from the tap, milk from the fridge/freezer
whilst choosing a shirt from the wardrobe to iron on the integrated table with a 12v iron
and lowering the electric roof with your little finger all at the same time ?

I have the two seater bench version which give the same headroom as the Ocean. Its the 5 seater Beach that has restricted head room.

The 5 seater Beach has cavernous storage under the lower bed which is very useful if there are four of you. Headroom is only restricted with the upper bed down, but it can feel a little claustrophobic at night when you are shut in.

Really ?
Can you boil a kettle (safely) with water from the tap, milk from the fridge/freezer
whilst choosing a shirt from the wardrobe to iron on the integrated table with a 12v iron

Yes - apart from lowering the electric roof with your little finger; you need at least one hand and do it manually.

The 5 seater Beach has cavernous storage under the lower bed which is very useful if there are four of you. Headroom is only restricted with the upper bed down, but it can feel a little claustrophobic at night when you are shut in.

Yep the headroom in the 3 seat bench variant with the bed down is a bit snug. As Amarillo says one trade off is the huge space under the multiflex. The other is the full width bed.

The 2 seat Beach has the same headroom as the Ocean in bed mode and it's full width...but then you're back to that extra 5th seat being pants. As said above its all about compromise and individual choice.

Really ?
...not being able to do the ironing is an advantage though right???

As all have already said...depends what you want to do.

On my second Ocean and would personally not even consider a Beach, but that is because there are only two of us and the kids no longer have any interest in coming away with us (quite the opposite!!). We sleep upstairs, so the size of the downstairs bed is of no consequence. I'd rather have every thing factory fitted and ready to go.

That all said, I absolutely fully understand why others would want the Beach though. Different folks have different requirements. Thinking properly about your situation and what you want to do with it will lead you to the right answer...

Thanks all for your helpful comments.

There are four of us, my wife and ten year old boy / girl twins. So we would be using both the roof bed and sofa bed.

We are needing to replace the family car which has inspired us to look at campervans as an alternative to a normal family car. We want something that is easy to park and drive around town, which it sounds like the Cali is.

Having a campervan also open up the option of using it to go camping at weekends / holidays and get to see Europe and the UK. I can’t see us using the van for a two week holiday but may use it to drive to Spain for example, and then stay in a villa for a week and then drive back so we get the best of both worlds.

We would like to be able to have the option to make a cuppa on the side of the road but will mainly do outdoor cooking on campsites. We could also have an electric kettle when hooked up to power. So maybe a small portable kitchen and fridge is an option.

We would also want to have a drive away awning to give us options of space when camping and more sleeping options.

We will try to rent a van for a weekend to see how we get on.

Really ?
No, and neither can you unless you're an octopus.

Last edited:
There are four of us, my wife and ten year old boy / girl twins. So we would be using both the roof bed and sofa bed.

I seriously suggest that you take a long look at a Beach. I've had both variants and they are both great, but as you have children and are likely to use the vehicle as a family car as well as a camper van I think you will find the much greater flexibilty of the Beach very useful. I can assure you that you can do anything in a Beach that you could do in an Ocean and a lot more besides.

Last edited: