Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Regret going for Beach over Ocean? Or vice versa?

It is going to be quite difficult to measure! But let's take just the cupboard under the hob/sink. I don't have a Cali here to measure, but remembering the containers I fit in it It should be somewhere like 80w x 40d x 60h. so right there 190 Liters.
The wardrobe is 39 x 49 x ~80 = 153Liters. Than there is the rear ward/cupboard and the "airplane" cupboard.
Also something you need to carry in a beach but that's hidden and not included in my calculations above, it's the 30L water tank and grey water tank.

I cannot think of a single time when we’ve felt the need to hang onto grey water. We each have a 750ml flask of water and I keep a backup 1.5l bottle in the driver’s door. We might also on occasion have the odd bottle in the fridge. For a weekend wild camping there will be just two of us and I take our 10l collapsible water carrier.

The Beach and Ocean are different beasts, suited to different camping styles.

I cannot think of a single time when we’ve felt the need to hang onto grey water. We each have a 750ml flask of water and I keep a backup 1.5l bottle in the driver’s door. We might also on occasion have the odd bottle in the fridge. For a weekend wild camping there will be just two of us and I take our 10l collapsible water carrier.

The Beach and Ocean are different beasts, suited to different camping styles.
Yes absolutely, different styles. For me it was and is very important to have a sink with running water to wash hands/face brush teeth etc.
when I was looking to buy I was looking at bigger motorhomes, but the main bother was the lack of a place to park and almost impossible to use as a daily driver.
Then by pure accident I discovered that the California has a water tank that can be filled from outside, and an internal waste water tank that can be prevented from freezing. Like "bigger" motorhomes. Likewise heating etc.
I think another way of looking at it, the Ocean is for motorhome-people looking to downsize and be more agile, Beach is for Tent-people fed up with tents that want to "upgrade" to a much more comfortable way of camping ?

the Ocean is for motorhome-people looking to downsize and be more agile, Beach is for Tent-people fed up with tents that want to "upgrade" to a much more comfortable way of camping ?
We had 3 Ocean style (T2, T25, T4) vans in the past, but decided to upgrade to a Beach to give us more flexibility.

Everyone is different!

I think after all is said, the most important factor in choosing between a Beach and an Ocean is whether you will want to use it to carry more than 4 people. If it’s your only car, a vehicle that big and heavy that can only carry four people may not be the answer if you could use the extra passenger space on a regular basis. If it’s your second vehicle and you won’t need it to carry more passengers or other large loads (I’ve had 5 people and 9 bikes in mine, 5 behind the bench and 4 on the rack), the Ocean is the better option.
Maximum number of passengers we ever carry is 3, mostly just 2, but we still prefer the Beach.
The Ocean doesn’t give us the space or the flexibility, you can’t remove the wardrobe, cooker, sink. They are with you whether you’re going on holiday, the supermarket or the rubbish tip.

I think another way of looking at it, the Ocean is for motorhome-people looking to downsize and be more agile, Beach is for Tent-people fed up with tents that want to "upgrade" to a much more comfortable way of camping ?
Haha, I was rash enough to say that long ago, and @GrannyJen straightened me out! With reason, clearly!

Yes absolutely, different styles. For me it was and is very important to have a sink with running water to wash hands/face brush teeth etc.
when I was looking to buy I was looking at bigger motorhomes, but the main bother was the lack of a place to park and almost impossible to use as a daily driver.
Then by pure accident I discovered that the California has a water tank that can be filled from outside, and an internal waste water tank that can be prevented from freezing. Like "bigger" motorhomes. Likewise heating etc.
We disagree, we have never had a tent.
We didn’t upgrade to a Beach we chose it because quite simply a Beach meets our needs an Ocean doesn’t. As we have stated numerous times one vehicle isn’t better than the other, it’s about personal requirements and choice.

Hi Bob,

the Ocean Vs Beach debate (now also Coast) is a much debated topic, to which their is no correct answer. Otherwise VW would only sell one model

The answer is dependant on You and how You will use it Now and inThe near future.

There can sometimes a slight undertone that the Cali B or Cali C is some way inferior to the Cali O or is a poor substitute for a CaliO or in some way is not a proper camper, which could not be further from the truth.

A camper van is a Van that you use for camping, not what is fixed inside and where it is fixed Or what make the roof go up / down or where you store you gear etc.

I don’t subscribe to the “cost difference“ argument of a well specced Beach being too close to a Cali O, it is some what irrelevant particularly in the current market.
It comes down to how you will your Van, not what the cost of original purchase may be vs a different list of fixed options / set up, hydro mechanical devices etc .
A particular set up may or may not suit your needs.

Similarly I wouldn’t be buying a vehicle based on the perceived resale ! you may as well save yourself any depreciation (yes they do depreciate, but no as much as other vehicles) and keep hold of your money ?

I believe the resale argument to be a major misnomer by Cali O owners ( try buying a well specced Cali B at a reasonable cost), they simply do not come on the market with the same frequency as CaliO’s which are run of the mill in the second hand market, a point severely missed or overlooked by some, particularly when comparing apples for apples)

many good points made by one side or the other, but they are merely points that justify that persons ownership of their chosen vehicle and is their justification particular to that persons / families needs etc, not necessarily suited to your needs.

I came from a T2 Devon, T5 Velle, T5.1 combi and Now a 7 seat Beach, so have some experience of on board kitchen and full Camper van set up

I also come from tent camping as a child with my parents and as a parent myself. camping with my kids was initially under Canvas ( the T2 went before kids came along) mainly serviced by the Combi, which was a great cavernous space ideal for tent camping.

my decision to buy. Cali B was based purely on my family’ perceived needs and how we may regularly and realistically use it, based on my experience to date, the later is an important thing to recognise, look at how many CaliO’s are advertised with “ never cooked in the van” or “upper bed still with plastic” “2000 miles from new“ on etc. ( you get the idea)

Seldom did I cook in the T2, it didn't suit the way I used the van, instead I cooked outside despite having a kitchen in the van ! Therefore when looking at Cali‘s I knew i didn’t want a fixed kitchen to take up room permanently and be carried with me always.

The Velle and Combi offered a full width seat / bed, the T2 didn’t, when assessing a Cali O, I could not see two adults sleeping as comfortably as i did (and do) on a full width bed.

my current set up is predominantly 5 seat camper mode, wind out awning (drive away awning when inclement or away for 5+ days) CFX35 fridge freezer in the van when camping / days out etc, window bags for clothes storage when camping ( removed from the van when not camping).
I have many different ways I can choose to pack the van and various set ups I can call upon for different types of trip, duration etc, mainly because the only fixed items I have to carry are the seats, which can be configured to suit various scenarios Or simply removed to create more space. (Including A full load area)
Space and how you will use it in a VW transporter based van is at a severe premium particularly for 4+ occupants while camping. it should be considered realistically as it has the ability to influence you enjoyment more than anything else.( most everthing else can be overcome or a compromise can be found)

In my instance two additional seats can be added to the Cali B easily when I want to carry 6 passenger, (which is surprisingly often with two kids who invariably want to take friends out with them).

Consider Electro hydraulic roof Vs Manual, another well debated subject and one that many a CaliO owner would openly admit that they would prefer the simplicity of the manual roof had It been offered on a CaliO. Cost of future repairs / complexity of potential problems In future.

the best advice I can give you, given what you have posted is, go with what will suit your needs over the next few years.

if that be a CaliO or CaliB or a CaliC go for it.

if in future your circumstances or the way you use the van as initially intended changes, then you can chop your van in for the next best thing, The residuals will be comparative across the range. (High specced Beach very rare = great residual)

don’t let the argument and counter argument for / against one particular model sway your thinking past a cursory pause for thought, before dismissing, particularly where they simply may not apply to your unique set of circumstances

Only you know how you intend to use it and only you will know if you made the right decision (after the event).
The goal is to get out and have fun.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck in whatever You decide And look forward to some photos of the Cali soon :cheers
Great advice and well written.

Oh dear it’s started again!

each to their own, life would be boring if we all did the same as everyone else And VW would only sell one camper

This discussion makes me smile every time.

be happy with what you have chosen (or not) and be happy for others that choose a different way to you.
Unfortunately it seems too because of a couple of individuals who are so narrow minded that they clearly think that the Ocean is the only Cali worthy of being owned. They don’t appear to understand the concept of choice.

A lot of Cali O owners state they need do nothing more that get in the van and head out, whereas the poor Beach owners have to pack for each trip. :eek:

that reality is far from an honest answer, unless you don’t wash and change your clothes, towels or bedding between trips, only stock up on food once in the lifetime of the van, never BBQ, never take gear for sports outside activities, never use an awing, additional chairs, sim mats, covers, change water, wash and clean yourself etc etc etc. this is not really the case is it.

come on guys get real or at least be honest with yourselves If not others.

the analogy of a Cali B needing a tent to supplement it is living capability is simply not correct, I assume this was an implication that you must have a tent to be able to cook in a Beach?
there is nothing a Cali B can’t do that a CaliO can do, it comes down to preference.

Don‘t get me wrong I can see why so many choose a CaliO for the romantic notion that you simply jump in the van and drive to you destination, with no need of any other items but the reality is very different in many cases.

Sorry, I Disagree.
On return from a trip bedding and clothes washed, dried and replaced in van. Toiletries and basic food used replenished together with drinks restocked. Water tank drained and we’re ready for the next trip.
We have a van set of wet weather gear , shoes etc and clothes.
When we’re off, load van fridge from kitchen fridge, water if necessary and off we go.
Occasionally we take the bikes, so 10 minutes to put the tow bar bike rack on and 2 bikes.
Don't have a pegged out awning or a jumbo barbecue but do use disposable Barbacues.

Of course. one can prepare a Beach to be ready to camp in a whim. I doubt though that the "tailor made" solution to make a Beach an Ocean are better than a... Ocean!

I may add, regarding flexibility, if I need to carry stuff, motorbikes or furniture, I just rent a trailer.
And there we have it, the crux of the matter.
You talk about ‘better’ no one is saying the Beach is better than the Ocean, it’s different but those differences do not make it inferior to the Ocean.

Sorry but disagree. It is not a romantic concept, it is reality. There's an awful lot that with an Ocean you don't need to pack vs a Beach.
Fridge, kitchen, all kitchen utensils, pans, pots, dishes, cutlery etc., gas. Toiletries, towels and everything else that has a place in the in built cupboards and wardrobes.

For a long weekend, It is always ready, I just need to fill in water, clothes, and food. No need to take heavy seats off, heavy kitchen pods in etc....

There will always be far less to prepare a Ocean for long holiday , than a Beach.
Well it would depend on the owner and not the vehicle wouldn't it. It doesn't matter which version we are talking about, there will be preparations to be made before any trip away. The scale of those would depend on how the owner uses the vehicle. To assume that every Beach owner always has seven seats on board and an empty van would be a mistake. Also I doubt if every Ocean is ready with the engine running.

In my case the Beach swivel seats are only used when needed. The rest of the time they are stored elsewhere. As for the other items on your list, everything with the exception of clothes, bedding and towels are always stowed in the van. The latter items are never left in the van for obvious reasons.

And there we have it, the crux of the matter.
You talk about ‘better’ no one is saying the Beach is better than the Ocean, it’s different but those differences do not make it inferior to the Ocean.
In none of my posts I have ever said that a Ocean is better than a Beach.
The Beach is better at some tasks than the Ocean, the Ocean is better at other tasks. And "better" depends from personal preference too. Nor have I have ever used the word "upgrade" referred to moving from a Beach to Ocean or viceversa.
I think a few people hear feel in need to "defend" even though there never was an "attack". Certainly not from me. I couldn't care less what people buy for themselves.

In none of my posts I have ever said that a Ocean is better than a Beach.
The Beach is better at some tasks than the Ocean, the Ocean is better at other tasks. And "better" depends from personal preference too. Nor have I have ever used the word "upgrade" referred to moving from a Beach to Ocean or viceversa.
I think a few people hear feel in need to "defend" even though there never was an "attack". Certainly not from me. I couldn't care less what people buy for themselves.
It is the clear inference to make you make in your post #119.

Sorry, I Disagree.
On return from a trip bedding and clothes washed, dried and replaced in van. Toiletries and basic food used replenished together with drinks restocked. Water tank drained and we’re ready for the next trip.
We have a van set of wet weather gear , shoes etc and clothes.
When we’re off, load van fridge from kitchen fridge, water if necessary and off we go.
Occasionally we take the bikes, so 10 minutes to put the tow bar bike rack on and 2 bikes.
Don't have a pegged out awning or a jumbo barbecue but do use disposable Barbacues.
How does that differ from any other van that has a space or a place dedicated to the things you want to bring with you.

I fail to see the relevance of the fact that CaliO owners are dictated by what can be stored where, the equipment, supplies etc in and out of the van is identical regardless of the badge on the rear quarter!

just because your van says “ ocean” still means at some stage you have to remove your bedding clothes, consumabled etc and refresh with new, whether you do that at the end of a trip or prior to a trip is irrelevant? you still need to do it, it’s no different to I do, return from trip, pack for next !

you still need to fill, empty and refill you water tank !

can I store clothes, coats, shoes etc in my van, for a quick get away? yes.
can I store toilet roll, washing gear, pots, pans etc, In my van? Yes.
do I take bikes? Yes

the fact you choose to use Disposable BBQ‘s is your choice and has no bearing on the vans capabilities, but it does mean you do cook outside making the cooker redundant for that meal, and still requires you to add something to the van that wasn’t included on the forecourt.

is it me or are the arguments being offered up by some being made to fit an argument or justification that others are doing it wrong ?

if it’s in your van, and was not provided as a fixed item in your van you put it there Regardless of when.

I sort of get the point you appear to try to be be making, but you seem to fail to understand that it’s not unique to an Ocean, just because you have a fixed space for holding your gear vs variable space for holding the same gear Doesn’t mean it’s not possible and perfectly plausible in a van with a different configuration with no less faff !

Last edited:
I think the Beach, Coast and Ocean models are all amazing vehicles. I don’t think one model is necessarily better than another, just different. Aren't we lucky to have a choice and to able to enjoy these amazing vehicles?

Here’s to happier times ahead when we can get out and use our Calis to their full potential.

@bob_summers
There always used to be a couple of other questions you had to avoid asking, fortunately VW were made aware & have changed the configurator to save you making the choice on the DSG v Manual gearbox. 4motion v 2wd is still out there though.

Also steer clear of portapottys and Chickens. Most other subjects are ok unless the word sagging comes into it.

Us Ocean owners were hoping the beaches would start fighting amongst themselves as to whether one slider was better than two, that hasn't happened yet but there is still time.

I've had a beach. Now an ocean. Loved them both but I reckon I prefer the ocean. you won't regret buying either BUT if you go beach ensure you have the factory fitted heater. Number 1 must have in my opinion and will help resale.
Dont buy a massive awning either. They are a pain in the arse

It is the clear inference to make you make in your post #119.
I am sorry if that was the impression I gave. Please give me a chance to explain myself in a clearer way.
I used the word "better" referring to some of the aftermarket solution for the Beach, rather than the VW Beach itself. For example, an item, for me , for my necessities, for the way I camp, very important is the water/sink facilities. The Ocean has a built in 30L tank which I can fill up from outside even with a hose, and dispose the grey water by pulling up with the rear back left wheel near to a dedicated discharge point, and with the convenience of pulling a lever, emptying it all.
With many of the kitchen pod/sink pod solutions, running water is achieved with a 10/15 Liters fresh water canister, next to a second empty canister that collects grey water from the sink. Some may find this smaller jugs more convenient, or preferable to a fixed sink. I prefer, and personally find it better, the solution in the Ocean. The same goes for the shelving/cupboards. It is better for me personally.

Unfortunately it seems too because of a couple of individuals who are so narrow minded that they clearly think that the Ocean is the only Cali worthy of being owned. They don’t appear to understand the concept of choice.

Or perhaps the answers aren’t what you want to hear...???
I can only give you first hand experiences from using both types of California’s extensively.

I wouldn’t buy a Beach again...

But hey, each to their own :thumb

That was the deciding factor for my husband; it had to be 'ready to go'.

We wanted everything there, bar food and clothes, so we could be on the road quickly and chairs out, feet up and drink in hand within moments at our destination. Of course, I would love to be able to take an extra friend or two with us in the van, but I can count on one hand how often we have done that in 25 years, so we knew it wasn't as important as getting it right for our family's needs.

On the cooking front, we still carry our portable burners in the boot, for when we want to cook outside. When we hired the Ocean it was early summer and we cooked outside most of the time because the weather was lovely, using the internal hob for cups of tea and toast. With the Beach it was a cold October half term and we cooked inside on a single burner the entire time, because it rained every evening. Both work brilliantly and mean you always have flexibility. Being able to make a cup of tea without having to get out of bed in the morning is a prerequisite in my opinion, but you can do that in either van, so happy days ;-)
Edit: I should add that after my husband vetoed the three seater Beach bed, he refused to look at taking the storage unit out of a Beach and replacing it with a kitchen module, which was my preferred Beach option. He didn't see the point and refused to go for something that would have needed him to lift in and out of the van. After our October rain-fest break in the hired Beach, we didn't want to have to retrieve our cooking gear from the boot in the dark and rain.

All these different aspects helped us to work out what worked for our needs and led us to choose our Ocean, but I would never say it is superior to any other model, it is just the right fit for us.

How does that differ from any other van that has a space or a place dedicated to the things to want to bring with you.

I fail to see the relevance of the fact that CaliO owners are dictated by what can be stored where, the equipment, supplies etc in and out of the van is identical regardless of the badge on the rear quarter!

just because your van says “ ocean” still means at some stage you have to remove your bedding clothes, consumabled etc and refresh with new, whether you do that at the end of a trip or prior to a trip is irrelevant? you still need to do it, it’s no different to I do, return from trip, pack for next !

you still need to fill, empty and refill you water tank !

can I store clothes, coats, shoes etc in my van, for a quick get away? yes.
can I store toilet roll, washing gear, pots, pans etc, In my van? Yes.
do I take bikes? Yes

the fact you choose to use Disposable BBQ‘s is your choice and has no bearing on the vans capabilities, but it does mean you do cook outside making the cooker redundant for that meal, and still requires you to add something to the van that wasn’t included on the forecourt.

is it me or are the arguments being offered up by some being made to fit an argument or justification that others are doing it wrong ?

if it’s in your van, and was not provided as a fixed item in your van you put it there Regardless of when.

I sort of get the point you appear to try to be be making, but you seem to fail to understand that it’s not unique to an Ocean, just because you have a fixed space for holding your gear vs variable space for holding the same gear Doesn’t mean it’s not possible and perfectly plausible in a van with a different configuration with no less faff !
I didn’t say it wasn’t. And if you are carrying all that stuff in the Beach, whilst using it for other things then it is no different to an Ocean loaded up and used for other things, apart from the extra seat in the 3 seat Beach.

All these different aspects helped us to work out what worked for our needs and led us to choose our Ocean, but I would never say it is superior to any other model, it is just the right fit for us.

It’s a similar discussion to California vs Converted. If it’s right for you, great.

As happens, I’ve never seen a conversion that touches a California. Just because they look similar, doesn’t mean they’re the same...

If you look through all the posts, many more from Beach owners compared to Ocean owners, then the advice was becoming very one sided regarding how versatile the Beach is. Unfortunately the Ocean can do a lot that the Beach can do, not everything I agree, but somethings better if that’s the way you want to use it.

Back