Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Regret going for Beach over Ocean? Or vice versa?

What is the feature that distinguishes the Tour from the Camper?

I thought the Tour always has twin sliding doors and the Camper always has a pop-out hob
In the UK. But from above comments maybe the options are different elsewhere... in the UK you need the cooker to be in motorhome classification for DVLA. Not sure what other countries require. So maybe more flexibility on spec?

What is the feature that distinguishes the Tour from the Camper?

I thought the Tour always has twin sliding doors and the Camper always has a pop-out hob
It's becoming apparent that in some countries , re @Tarquers and @Thebears , there is an option on the Tour to delete the second slider and replace it with a pop-up hob.

What I find strange is that @AlisonF 's Beach Camper with 3 seat bench, pop-up hob and four rails is basically the same as a Tour with the second slider replaced by the hob (some other differences, EHU, etc.), but she is not allowed to fit the extra seats. It seems that in other markets you can have 7 seats AND the stove, depending on the model.

Last edited:
It's becoming apparent that in some countries , re @Tarquers and @Thebears , there is an option on the Tour to delete the second slider and replace it with a pop-up hob.

What I find strange is that @AlisonF 's Beach Camper with 3 seat bench, pop-up hob and four rails is basically the same as a Tour with the second slider replaced by the hob (some other differences, EHU, etc.), but she is not allowed to fit the extra seats. It seems that in other markets you can have 7 seats AND the stove, depending on the model.

Yes - that’s what I find strange too.

In some countries you seem to be able to build a Camper from a Tour.

A bit like building an Ocean from a Coast by adding the electric roof!

In the end, my Beach gets used by my mountain group with 7 people about 50% of the time, so if I updated it would be a 7 seat Tour. If I weren't allowed to have the pop-up stove, I'd continue with this, which I've used from Scotland to Croatia, and cost 14 euros at decathlon:

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 12.30.14 AM.png

In the end, my Beach gets used by my mountain group with 7 people about 50% of the time, so if I updated it would be a 7 seat Tour. If I weren't allowed to have the pop-up stove, I'd continue with this, which I've used from Scotland to Croatia, and cost 14 euros at decathlon:

View attachment 74889

I keep a similar one behind one of the hatches under the bench seat.

Well the dealer just rang and there'll be a Beach and an Ocean to look at on Saturday, so I'll drag the family along and hope that it's settled one way or another. If the estimated delivery of August is accurate (lol!) there's still three months of decent weather, so pretty keen to get it moving!

I have an SE but had a beach for 2 months recently whist my van was in for roof repair.
I found the beach much nicer to drive, felt lighter and better visibility, but really missed the cupboard space, parking heater and ease with which you can pull out the table and make a cup of tea.
Because I use the van for day trips all year round the ocean works well, if balance of use was more towards camping then I might be tempted by a beach with a cooking solution that can be used inside or outside and the bigger bed. Downstairs bed in the ocean really is quite tight for 2 people.
RE "parking heater and ease with which you can pull out the table and make a cup of tea." We have fitted a parking heater and cup of tea can be made inside with a thermos on route or if have power a electric kettle , by standing pot and cups on top of a a tray on the porta potty. It all comes done to how many different things you want to do with your van and the flexibility versa convenience you want to have.

Well the dealer just rang and there'll be a Beach and an Ocean to look at on Saturday, so I'll drag the family along and hope that it's settled one way or another. If the estimated delivery of August is accurate (lol!) there's still three months of decent weather, so pretty keen to get it moving!
Make sure you take your usual camping gear with you to see how it would all fit.

We had the same debate (Ocean/Beach) like nearly everyone. In the end it came down to the Beach because:
- we have 2 teenagers, 2 older kids, and 2 grandchildren so having more seat options for different trips is a plus
- paying all that money for 4 seats was a stretch, especially if replacing a Land Rover Discovery with 7 seats (in the end Mrs Fantastic has not allowed the LR to be sold yet!)
- I own enough Coleman/camping stoves to allow the whole village to keep cooking during the Apocalypse, so don't need a fixed stove in the van
- Mrs Fantastic tends to sleep in (hog) the middle of the bed, so if the (downstairs) bed is wider then better for me!
- I did not want an automatic roof, but that was an option on the Coast at the time.

I think I do miss the 'permanent' storage of the Ocean where you don't have to juggle the boxes as much with a Beach.

Not sure it helps you much, but echoes some of the prior comments.

Having read the dilemma people have choosing I am pleased that I did not do too much investigation before I brought my van. I just wanted something I could use with out the need to take my caravan as well and to be honest I just wanted a van, any van. I had had a converted T4 years ago and missed it.

My excuse to buy it was the need to transport a motorbike from Spain back to the UK, saving £500 on having shipped! So a ocean was out and as I just wanted a van the beach was a bonus. I was quite happy to go for a basic van or a mini bus and convert it as needed. It had to be a VW van as I wanted a diesel automatic. I test drove varies vans and the Californian won on lack of noise.

So I decided yes it has to be a California. Next question where to buy it and 2 seater bench with storage or 3 seater. I thought 2 seater bench was what I wanted but when it came to finding a diesel automatic at a reasonable price the best deal I could find was the 3 seater, pre registered. On reflection the 3 seater bench turned out to be the best for me, but only possible to know after I brought it.

Being short I can sleep sideways on the bench, not something I did not consider when choosing. Currently the bench is not in the van, but we still have 4 seats. The flexibility of the beach and the cheaper cost than the ocean is what have turned out to the best for me. I am happy to move things around and store in boxes the cooking items but sometimes it would be nice to have set places for things. However we are all different in our requirements and things can change unexpectedly.

We had the same debate (Ocean/Beach) like nearly everyone. In the end it came down to the Beach because:
- we have 2 teenagers, 2 older kids, and 2 grandchildren so having more seat options for different trips is a plus
- paying all that money for 4 seats was a stretch, especially if replacing a Land Rover Discovery with 7 seats (in the end Mrs Fantastic has not allowed the LR to be sold yet!)
- I own enough Coleman/camping stoves to allow the whole village to keep cooking during the Apocalypse, so don't need a fixed stove in the van
- Mrs Fantastic tends to sleep in (hog) the middle of the bed, so if the (downstairs) bed is wider then better for me!
- I did not want an automatic roof, but that was an option on the Coast at the time.

I think I do miss the 'permanent' storage of the Ocean where you don't have to juggle the boxes as much with a Beach.

It does help, thanks. I'm pretty certain I'll never need more than the 4 seats, but like you I have my preferred cooking/lighting system (Coleman petrol stove and two lamps, 10l jerry of unleaded!), and I keep a Kelly kettle in the van when not camping for brews when out in the hills. I can't see myself giving a fixed gas cooker much use at all, Ocean or Beach. It does mean it's registered as a motorhome though.

Having read the dilemma people have choosing I am pleased that I did not do too much investigation before I brought my van. I just wanted something I could use with out the need to take my caravan as well and to be honest I just wanted a van, any van. I had had a converted T4 years ago and missed it.

My excuse to buy it was the need to transport a motorbike from Spain back to the UK, saving £500 on having shipped! So a ocean was out and as I just wanted a van the beach was a bonus. I was quite happy to go for a basic van or a mini bus and convert it as needed. It had to be a VW van as I wanted a diesel automatic. I test drove varies vans and the Californian won on lack of noise.

So I decided yes it has to be a California. Next question where to buy it and 2 seater bench with storage or 3 seater. I thought 2 seater bench was what I wanted but when it came to finding a diesel automatic at a reasonable price the best deal I could find was the 3 seater, pre registered. On reflection the 3 seater bench turned out to be the best for me, but only possible to know after I brought it.

Being short I can sleep sideways on the bench, not something I did not consider when choosing. Currently the bench is not in the van, but we still have 4 seats. The flexibility of the beach and the cheaper cost than the ocean is what have turned out to the best for me. I am happy to move things around and store in boxes the cooking items but sometimes it would be nice to have set places for things. However we are all different in our requirements and things can change unexpectedly.
Interesting! I took a (large!) motorbike the opposite way in my Multivan - bench seat had to be moved but I had nowhere to store it, so i turned it through 90º and strapped it to the side. It was so heavy it almost balanced the 280kg bike strapped to the other side!!

As always everyones needs and preferences are different. We knew we wanted a Campervan, we knew we wanted VW.
We were sure we wanted an Ocean, however once we looked at both the Ocean and the Beach it immediately raised questions for us and made us seriously consider how we would use the vehicle. Our decision was for the 4 seater Beach, having owned it for 3 months short of 2 years it was absolutely the best choice for us.
It gives us more space inside, it gives us a much larger bed, it gives us flexibility. We prefer to cook outside but have had no problem on the two occasions we have cooked inside. It’s easy for us to make coffee inside, we have a good sized fridge that we keep behind the passenger seat so access to milk etc is simple.
We have more storage than we need. We have the storage box, drawer under the seat, Van Essa bag, Brandrup storage pockets, Brandrup flexibag, Calicap boot pullout tray and the top of the parcel shelf. We don’t have any issues with what some call the Campervan shuffle, if you are organised it’s not a problem.
The moral to our tale is even if you think you know what you want be sure to really be clear as to what you want from the vehicle and how you want to use it. We could have made a very expensive mistake if we had bought the Ocean without really considering all the options.
It’s not about one vehicle being ‘better’ than another, it’s about what vehicle meets your needs.

I know this comes up a lot and I've delved into a lot of threads, but I'm still a bit stuck.
Looking to order shortly for delivery August and beyond. I'm about 90% sure we need a Beach Camper, but adding a couple of options I *think* I need (leisure battery, 3rd window on front of roof canvas - which brings unwanted electric roof, LED lights...) the price is getting into Ocean territory. On the other hand, the only option I'd need on the Ocean would be ACC.

We have already decided on 4 seats (2 adults + 7yo). Will be our only car, though not used midweek.
We have never cooked in van, not to say we never would, and probably wouldn't miss the fridge and wardrobe.
Current setup is a Caravelle - we sleep in it on shorter trips and weekends, and use a tent for 1wk+ trips. The boy needs his own bed now though.

Everything points to the Beach, but I want to be sure. If I went for the Ocean, would I regret lugging a kitchen around that's barely used? Is there anything about the Ocean I'd miss? Just looking for any insight from anyone who's been there and done it!
We went for the Camper because you have a full size bed King size and the new mini kitchen gives you the option to cook also.

Our first Cali was a T5 SE 4motion which was an amazing vehicle. The interior of that van and the current Coast and Ocean models has been very cleverly designed and refined over the previous decades, so is pretty well perfect as a camper van. They a brilliant vans but they won't be right for everyone.

Just after we bought that vehicle we also bought a new seven seat T6 Beach to cart the grand kids about in. So we had the opportunity to run both for a while side by side and compare their relative merrits. It wasn't very long before our personal preference became obvious. We discovered that for us, the Beach did everything that the SE did and more. It was far more versatile allowing us to carry up the seven adults, which we do from time to time. It gave us the huge downstairs bed and was a simpler vehicle with much less to go wrong, so would probably be a better long term ownership prospect. You can use a beach for a multitude of things and there doesn't appear to be much it doesn't do well.

The lack of fitted storage in a Beach is an issue but not one that cannot be resolved. The system we have devised is one which works very well for us. It works so well in fact that I cannot see us going back to an Ocean or Coast format when our current van needs replacing. The reasons for that are two fold:

1. We have never been happy cooking inside the vehicle and rarely did in the SE. I have always preferred doing that outside. It's part of that outdoorsey thing I suppose but it's also about safety for me.
2. Whilst the storage in the SE/Coast/Ocean is extensive and well designed, we often found it problemactic to use in practice. When preparing a meal you have to get everything out first otherwise you will forever be diving under the table to reach something at the back of the cupboards or in the under seat drawer. This usually involves telling others to move or better still get out whilst you extricate what you are after. Then there's the fridge. Everything has to be moved off the top before you reach in to retrieve something. So with the SE/Coast/Ocean format you need to be very disciplined or things can quickly become quite annoying.

The system we have arrived at now involves much less disruption to the other occupants and because our van is a three seater bench Beach there is much more room available as well. Everything we need for cooking etc and storage, is now stored in a modular format in the boot.

20200714_121714.jpg

20200714_110143.jpg

Yes, it involves getting out to cook but as I've said that's what I prefer to do it. Anyway cooking can be carried out in exactly the same way inside if we wanted to (see photo below).

20200717_163727.jpg

Just plonk the stove on top and bingo!

I admit that it won't suit everyone and isn't as slick as the spendidly designed storage in the SE/Coast/Ocean but IMO, it has a lot of advantages over the fitted kitchen including making more space available and less disruption for the occupants plus the whole kit and caboodle can be removed if required.

People have often said, "ah but you cannot just pull up and make a cup of tea". Well that isn't really true. Firstly there are any number of small stoves that can be stowed and quickly deployed inside a Beach to make a brew. However, leaving those aside we have always employed a thermos jug flask that we prepare before going out. It's something we have always done even when we had the SE. The makings of either tea or coffee are always at hand in a picnic backpack set housed between the two front seats. So we can be sipping a hot brew almost before the the kettles been put on in a full fat Cali.

So the way I see it is that deciding which version is best for you purely comes down to how you will be using your van. There is no right or wrong version just two different sets of possibilities, possibilities that need carefully matching to your particular user requirements. It is essential to get this bit right otherwise it could turn out being a costly mistake.

Thanks @Borris for another excellent post - food for thought.
I am no longer thinking in terms of cost, with the Beach specced out as I'd want it, there's not a huge amount of difference. I am planning to keep it for +/- 10 years. Residuals might be better on an Ocean but if everyone is buying electric in 2031, neither will be worth much lol

So it comes down to intended use, and I have a fair idea after 8 years in the Multivan what we'd be asking of it.
1. Multiweek trips, family of 3. If staying over, say, 5 nights we'll put the tent up. It's a 5m canvas beast so if it isn't being used, it takes up a lot of room in the van (it's about 40kg).
2. Weekend trips - living on the Cantabrian coast, in non Covid times we're up the coast or off to the Pyrenees most weekends. May take a smaller tent, but I'd envisage staying in the van.
3. Long tours - we visit the UK about once a year, taking the long way up, overnighting in aires etc without EHU or staying on municipal sites.
Other use is training/racing (I'm a mountain/fell runner) so getting the van very muddy inside, or chucking a couple of mountain bikes in the back and going out with the boy. I rarely drive midweek, I guess it'll have to do the odd work trip.

Cooking is 90% outdoors, although it might be good to have the indoor option for those rainy nights in an aire or when the rain's coming in horizontally off the bay of Biscay... and I've never used fridges in the van because when you really need them, they can't cope and your beer is 15º, I'd rather go without! Unless the Waeco ones are much different?

Interestingly, I've gone from almost certainly buying the beach at the beginning of this thread, swung to the Ocean, and now back at the beach agai!. Hoping to decide on Sat when I see both side by side as I'd like to get the ball rolling! Haven't even started on colour...

I've never used fridges in the van because when you really need them, they can't cope and your beer is 15º, I'd rather go without! Unless the Waeco ones are much different?
There are two distinct types of campervan fridge:
1. Cheap thermo-electric
2. Expensive compressor

#1 will chill to a certain temperature below ambient temperature and will drain your battery. They are as you describe.

#2 will chill or even freeze to a temperature you set, and use little power. Four days constant use on the leisure battery seems about normal. This can be extended with solar panels on the roof, to an indefinite period in the summer.

If fact, solar panels and a compressor fridge are an ideal combination: in the hottest sunniest weather you will have the coolest beers for the longest period of time.

It is not cheap:
~£400 for the fridge
~£400 for solar panels

But there is something priceless in drinking a beer perfectly chilled by the warm rays of the sun.

Our 28L fridge has the food capacity for four for four days.

Thanks @Borris for another excellent post - food for thought.
I am no longer thinking in terms of cost, with the Beach specced out as I'd want it, there's not a huge amount of difference. I am planning to keep it for +/- 10 years. Residuals might be better on an Ocean but if everyone is buying electric in 2031, neither will be worth much lol

So it comes down to intended use, and I have a fair idea after 8 years in the Multivan what we'd be asking of it.
1. Multiweek trips, family of 3. If staying over, say, 5 nights we'll put the tent up. It's a 5m canvas beast so if it isn't being used, it takes up a lot of room in the van (it's about 40kg).
2. Weekend trips - living on the Cantabrian coast, in non Covid times we're up the coast or off to the Pyrenees most weekends. May take a smaller tent, but I'd envisage staying in the van.
3. Long tours - we visit the UK about once a year, taking the long way up, overnighting in aires etc without EHU or staying on municipal sites.
Other use is training/racing (I'm a mountain/fell runner) so getting the van very muddy inside, or chucking a couple of mountain bikes in the back and going out with the boy. I rarely drive midweek, I guess it'll have to do the odd work trip.

Cooking is 90% outdoors, although it might be good to have the indoor option for those rainy nights in an aire or when the rain's coming in horizontally off the bay of Biscay... and I've never used fridges in the van because when you really need them, they can't cope and your beer is 15º, I'd rather go without! Unless the Waeco ones are much different?

Interestingly, I've gone from almost certainly buying the beach at the beginning of this thread, swung to the Ocean, and now back at the beach agai!. Hoping to decide on Sat when I see both side by side as I'd like to get the ball rolling! Haven't even started on colour...
Two thoughts:

1. Have you considered a Comfortz Awning room kit? As there is only three of you one of those chaps may increase your space enough to enable you to leave the bulky tent behind. They take up next to no space in the van and are quick and easy to put up and put away. You can sit, cook, eat and wash in them and they are excellent for dumping stuff in at night.

2. You must try a Waeco Dometic Fridge/freezer. We have a CFX 35 which I think from memory has a capacity of 32 litres. During a normal summer ours is crammed full of ice creams for the grand children. It remains at -21° through out the sumner and keeps everything beautifully frozen. It doesn't drain the leisure battery because being a compressor fridge it only comes on briefly when the internal temperature starts to rise above the preset level. There is even a function where it will talk to your phone although it beats me what a fridge and a mobile phone would want to talk about? How cold it's been lately I suppose. These fridge/freezers are whisper quiet and are very well made. They are however very expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks @Amarillo and @Borris - and having had chance to look at Borris' set up on a decent screen, very impressive!

How does the OEM fridge in the Ocean stack up against one of those CFX35s btw?

That's got me thinking. I've never bothered with fridges on the road as I assumed they were all terrible!

Well, thanks all for the invaluable information. I've probably arrived back at the same point I was at before I opened the thread - I think I'll be ordering a Beach Camper 4-seater pending a viewing on Saturday. Just hoping there's nothing that's going to have me thinking, well I wish I'd gone for the Ocean - but I can't see anything much. I'll post up the spec once I've had a proper think. Cheers!

That's got me thinking. I've never bothered with fridges on the road as I assumed they were all terrible!
A decent fridge is a good investment.

Ours sits in an awning (on 240v mains) for 2 weeks at 30degrees c ambient temp. maintained 3degrees throughout; If we went on a day trip and needed to transport cold stuff, we just put the fridge in the van and ran it off the 12v socket.

If you have no power then a Yeti insulated cool box packed with Ice will also keep things cool for many days.

Cheaper 12v coolers will just get you to x degrees below ambient, so not great when it’s warm outside.

I'll include a fridge when I try to visualise packing the Beach then. It would replace a cool box anyway, so it's not an extra lump, just a bit bigger.

Back