Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Observation

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
This is not so much a question as an observation.

On the face of it the Cali looks expensive...

But having a trawl through the net - other 'homebrew' conversions appear more expensive. Even if they are cheaper - then van itself, the creature comforts are quite basic. I therefore wonder if the Cali is that expensive, it's a big outlay - but the payoff... the lifestyle.. The quality in the Cali's and the design is superb, the furniture, the seats, I have not seen anything that quite matches it.

I normally hate advertising slogan - but I may well have to agree, it is the ultimate Camper. It's a very desirable thing.

James

I have also noticed this. It's not until you have been around them you realise that infact with
The lack of depreciation they make a great buy. There are a lot of cars out there that are between 30-40k that you can't sleep,make food and drink in and enjoy like a Cali.most of these cars drop in value like a Lead balloon so I would say on that they are great value.

Think all VW conversions are very overpriced, along with the Cali as well.

But I plan to keep mine longterm so happy I will get longterm value from it.

BerndRos said:
Think all VW conversions are very overpriced, along with the Cali as well.

But I plan to keep mine longterm so happy I will get longterm value from it.

Hi - I did look at the Thunder Wheels advertised bit caught up with work yesterday. I am probably going to hold back the funds back at present, I haven't even got the van yet (hopefully next Wednesday)

Look on the plus side - you haven't purchased a Danbury T2 - that's eye wateringly expensive - that's an expensive way to cover yourself with 'old worlde charm'

James

Agreed - on the face of it, £42-55k is a lot of money but look at other conversions and you have:

1) A Transporter base rather than Caravelle so a very basic cab
2) Often use the lower engines
3) Are for some reason often covered in stickers
4) Have a much more basic roof and ventilation system

I did some checking out and the only ones cheaper than a Cali looked pretty low rent.

And yep, buy yourself almost any £50k other car and in three years it'll be worth £20k. Ouch.

KernowLad said:
Agreed - on the face of it, £42-55k is a lot of money but look at other conversions and you have:

1) A Transporter base rather than Caravelle so a very basic cab

I thought my Cali was on a transporter base? Or is that because mine is older style?

Transporter base I think as our cab is basic compared to the LHD models..

Many sources have something along these lines:

The Volkswagen T5 California Specification
Although the Volkswagen T5 California comes fully loaded with standard features and options you can still customise your new VW T5 California camper van with additional 'optional extras'. Based on the Volkswagen T5 Caravelle (rather than the Volkswagen T5 Transporter) the base vehicle kit is excellent including front and rear anti-roll bars, ventilated front discs, anti-lock brakes and power steering. If you get the Volkswagen 4MOTION model, you get a rear differential lock as well.

And

The Volkswagen Transporter T5 range is the fifth generation of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (VWCV/VWN) medium-sized light commercial vehicle and people mover Caravelle/Multivan range.

Etc, etc

What do LHD versions get as extras over ours? I can't really think of any!

LHD drive get a totally different dash, much better quality materials and different looking.....

Yep - it's definitely different...

volkswagen-california-comfortline-interior.jpg

Oh I see - it has an extra sort of cubby storage section next to the gearstick/auto.

Is it anything to do with the conversion from left to right hand drive?

Does look nice :)

I had seen it on the lefties but I had never really clocked that it was different.

James

It's also more contoured, and the plastic is far more durable.

It's because of the different dash that we don't get the front slide out night blinds.

Does look more modern and I wouldn't mind a slide out front blind after laughing once again at the "tent" thing supplied!! :lol: It blocks out the light but not much else... :headwall

Custard said:
Oh I see - it has an extra sort of cubby storage section next to the gearstick/auto.

Is it anything to do with the conversion from left to right hand drive?

Does look nice :)

I had seen it on the lefties but I had never really clocked that it was different.

James

The glovebox area is different as well. LHD T4 California's have a different dash too which is a bit better than RHD T4's.

RHD California's have standard T5 van dash installed.

cheers

Bern - from this and other posts, I get the feeling you aren't a huge fan of the UK Cali?!

I did some serious costing out of cali vs factory prepped motorhome base and looked in depth at many conversion companies.
cost wise if you spec your base to cali standard b4 conversion then add in all the stuff you need fitting out you may save a couple of grand
using a van as a base can work out much cheaper but roof needs cutting windows need putting in b4 you start
with the Cali everything is factory fitted and warrantied and you can get work done at any VAG centre - even abroad.
no contest in the end.
thats not to say there are no really nice bespokes out there...and if you want unique designed around your needs then maybe thats best route?

KernowLad.....yes I think it's great. Cali got me through 20 countries and 45000 while doing it. Intend to keep it long term.

But like any other possession I may have or get I don't see the point of simply thinking the best and not seeing the downsides based on what I may have paid for it.

BerndRos said:
KernowLad.....yes I think it's great. Cali got me through 20 countries and 45000 while doing it. Intend to keep it long term.

But like any other possession I may have or get I don't see the point of simply thinking the best and not seeing the downsides based on what I may have paid for it.

Don't worry Bern - I'm under no illusions. Try owning a Defender (you probably have!) for that "it's okay they just do that" mentality. I finally gave up on ours and looking back, have no idea why I put up with it for a whole year!

There are niggles and some cheapo bits - the dash itself (nice steering wheel though!), the glovebox, the stalks - all a bit low rent. Just some of your niggles seem "deeper" than the odd minor annoyance. But then you've done some SERIOUS travelling in yours!

We are considering a big Euro tour next year if we can sort work out for 3-6 months (i.e. do some work from abroad and fly back if needed).

I am at near to Plymouth and your in Cornwall. Should you wish to meet up nearer to your planned Europe trip let me know as would be pleased to pass on any info gained from my travels.

BerndRos said:
I am at near to Plymouth and your in Cornwall. Should you wish to meet up nearer to your planned Europe trip let me know as would be pleased to pass on any info gained from my travels.

That could be very handy! My inlaws have a place in Newton Ferrers so quite often over that way (and sold our Defender to Roger Young nearby!)!

Back