Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not out to cause a riot - but!

There are lots of posts on how to improve the engine power but not a single one on how to make 204bhp weaker. :D

Think in the end the budget spend on a Beach with all the extra needed bits is not far away from a SE/Ocean so think people are not going for a beach to save money but the fact they need the seats.
And flexibility. Doubt you can put ocean's kitchen outside for long camping or leave it home while daily driving off-season.
All that Ocean owners bragging about 2 burners and a small think with couple extra drawers gives me a big smile.
Get a proper motorhome with dishwasher, oven, huge fridge and shower. They aren't that much expensive. There is always something "longer" out there :cool:

And flexibility. Doubt you can put ocean's kitchen outside for long camping or leave it home while daily driving off-season.
All that Ocean owners bragging about 2 burners and a small think with couple extra drawers gives me a big smile.
Get a proper motorhome with dishwasher, oven, huge fridge and shower. They aren't that much expensive. There is always something "longer" out there :cool:

To be honest ,
The 2 coockerburners are fine , i wash up in a plastic bowl only use the (indeed to small) sink once a while....
I do not feel the need to put my kitchen outside , don't need a bigger camper with oven,huge fridge....
I am perfectly happy with my 2012 SE;)

Last edited:
You can always get it out of your system by popping over to the CC forum and telling everyone what a great job the Chairman is doing with COTY.

So far nearly 1,000 posts of which about 95% want to lynch the committee.

Not so much as light the blue touch paper as "put key into lock, turn to "ARM Missile".... press red button........ "
Just had a look and the CC forum is even more entertaining than the programme, helped along by GJ!

yawn

Touchy.
Never spoke against the Beach in any of my posts. No bragging by me, but then I have the vehicle I want with everything I need provided by VW direct from the factory.

No. I've got my vehicle, you've got yours. The question I asked in the original post was basically why are there so many posts about installing fixed item in the Beach and not the other vehicles in the range? What have VW missed out that owners feel they need?
No one has answered this question, just slagged off the SE/Ocean owner.
With a young family I would have had a Beach as a People carrier for the family. Weekends and holidays we would have loaded it up with camping stuff, kitchen etc: go to a campsite. Set up a tent for cooking and sleeping the overflow and use the Beach as a comfortable bedroom for 4/5 with anyone else in the tent. Not fixing kitchens. iKea furniture etc: in the vehicle which would compromise it's use.
If I wanted an all in one camper for 2 or 4 then I might have considered the Beach as a base vehicle to convert to what I wanted exactly, a full blown camper that I could sleep in, live in and cook in etc: rather than buying a commercial vehicle and fitting an untested bed, cutting of the roof to fit a pop-top and extra side windows, fitting a parking heater etc:. Fortunately VW have made the SE/Ocean as I want so I didn't have to go down that route.
Each to his own but it would appear some people want something between a Beach and a SE/Ocean, maybe the Coast which VW have decided is not for the UK.

Such topics are essential for the forum. They contribute a lot.
I've removed my topic on Beach modifications.

Regardless of the motivation for the topic, or how some may have read it and reacted to it, it is a valid question and one that I never stop asking of myself.

From my POV I have never got the vehicle that I want. I am always seeing something that I don't have, have a shed full of bits that I do have and don't want, often question whether my next vehicle with be an Ocean or a beach with bits added, or even will there be a next vehicle and if so why not something larger, more solid roof, a Westy club joker, or as a joker a winnebago.

Lets face it, my SE for mostly one, or one and a Dog, is plenty big enough but even then I am always playing "The pod" game, take out my winter clothing pod, pop in my walking pod, take out my 240v cooker and oven and add back my 12V units, in and out with the BBQ's ....

I don't think that I will want a Beach in the future, I have no need for the people carrier capabilities, but it will be a very serious contender.

I'm quite shocked that the thread got past it's original post ;)
Anyway, I'm going to strip my Cali out and install all it's guts into an LDV as it gives me more room and then us the Cali as a Transporter to take the grass cuttings up the tip ..... just saying that's all.

I'm quite shocked that the thread got past it's original post ;)
Anyway, I'm going to strip my Cali out and install all it's guts into an LDV as it gives me more room and then us the Cali as a Transporter to take the grass cuttings up the tip ..... just saying that's all.
Good for you.

No one has answered my original question though.:bananadance

Good for you.

No one has answered my original question though.:bananadance
Hi WG,
What was the original question? You started with a statement in the very first post (a fair few comments ago now!), is the question why do beach owners spec up their vehicle instead of just getting an SE/Ocean? Or is it why don't SE/ Ocean owners take stuff out?
Or is it neither?
For me we chose a Beach because we have 3 children and need the seats. The option of an extra seat in the SE/Ocean looks very impractical when I've seen pictures. Of course I'd like more storage and some fixed cooking facilities but the amount that takes away from the downstairs bed for me is not worth the convenience. As always the answer to this debate is 'horses for courses' I think.
I like my Beach, I like the 360 windows and the spacious feeling within. I think the Ocean is great but not for me.
If I take a hob with me it's not because I secretly wish that I had an Ocean it's because I like warm food/drink.
I might not have got to the heart of what you wanted to find out initially, sorry if I haven't.
Dave

I just cannot get over the number of threads and posts about fitting Kitchen pods, Overhead lockers, Window Storage bags etc: etc: to a California Beach, but absolutely NO posts about how to remove the Wardrobe, Rear Storage Locker, Kitchen Unit or Overhead Locker in a California SE or Ocean.

I'll answer it for you, as I have done further back in the thread.
It would appear that, for some owners, they want more storage facilities and some even want fixed basic kitchen facilities. This want, appears to be met by 3rd party suppliers but not VW.
There is a 3rd model in the range, so I gather, that is not available in the UK, the Coast, but I have not come across anyone who has ordered it. Is that what they are aiming towards?
Some SE/Ocean owners have complained about the inadequacy of the wardrobe and/or rear storage cupboard but no one to my knowledge has made any major modifications to these items.
I anticipated some of the juvenile comments as soon as someone mentions the Beach, in anything but a worshipful manner.
It was a serious question, but unfortunately no serious answers.

It's a pity we cannot have a sensible debate. I will now leave you to it as pastures new beckon.

I'll answer it for you, as I have done further back in the thread.
It would appear that, for some owners, they want more storage facilities and some even want fixed basic kitchen facilities. This want, appears to be met by 3rd party suppliers but not VW.
There is a 3rd model in the range, so I gather, that is not available in the UK, the Coast, but I have not come across anyone who has ordered it. Is that what they are aiming towards?
Some SE/Ocean owners have complained about the inadequacy of the wardrobe and/or rear storage cupboard but no one to my knowledge has made any major modifications to these items.
I anticipated some of the juvenile comments as soon as someone mentions the Beach, in anything but a worshipful manner.
It was a serious question, but unfortunately no serious answers.

It's a pity we cannot have a sensible debate. I will now leave you to it as pastures new beckon.
I'm not sure how you read my answer but I was serious in how I responded.
As far as the coast goes, it has a manual roof but what are the other changes compared to the Ocean?
I'm not sure what offended you enough to leave us to it...

Hi WG,
What was the original question? You started with a statement in the very first post (a fair few comments ago now!), is the question why do beach owners spec up their vehicle instead of just getting an SE/Ocean? Or is it why don't SE/ Ocean owners take stuff out?
Or is it neither?
For me we chose a Beach because we have 3 children and need the seats. The option of an extra seat in the SE/Ocean looks very impractical when I've seen pictures. Of course I'd like more storage and some fixed cooking facilities but the amount that takes away from the downstairs bed for me is not worth the convenience. As always the answer to this debate is 'horses for courses' I think.
I like my Beach, I like the 360 windows and the spacious feeling within. I think the Ocean is great but not for me.
If I take a hob with me it's not because I secretly wish that I had an Ocean it's because I like warm food/drink.
I might not have got to the heart of what you wanted to find out initially, sorry if I haven't.
Dave
Hi Dave,
It's definitely horses for courses, & always should be. I like both vehicles & think they are both fantastic vehicles. The SE/Ocean is my personal favourite (I'm in 'that' camp because it suits 'my' needs :)) but it's never going to work for you, the missus & 3 kids - so fair play. That 5th seat - where's it going to go! I think Mr. Gas was inquiring about the need for buying extras (not the Comfortz extras, we all need them :thumb) but the extra pods, cooking extras etc. I genuinely think he was asking a fair question - Perhaps VW should offer some of these pods, cooking extras etc as factory options - i.e. What are VW missing here...
Cheers Tom
P.S. Very heavy on the the BBQ & the booze tonight, so be gentle - thank heavens for autocorrect ! :thumb

It's like sausages. Some go to their local artisan butcher, some buy Blue Stripe from Tesco.

It's like sausages. Some go to their local artisan butcher, some buy Blue Stripe from Tesco.
Some just eat them and some are constantly finding new creative ways to use them. :D

Back