Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not out to cause a riot - but!

Buy whatever one you want and that suits what you want it to do. I've got an Ocean but that suits me. Nowt wrong with the Beach though. I thought this forum was above trolling but ..........

Cumberland sausage is the best. If you are ever in Cockermouth buy some from Lindsay's on Station street. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Think this topic needs a lock on it .
Even more just deleted , it reflects nothing at all about the general respect and goodwill between ALL the Cali owners.....even the converted van owners.
We all disire the same , great trips and freedom in our house on wheels.
Even @WelshGas does not deserve to be typecast as a anti beach-er....
Think he just frased a few things in the wrong way and it went in to overdrive.

Can we please start off with a clean sheet? OK :thumb
Or just let's all be wise and make this the last post off this topic , so it will dry out

Last edited:
What type of sausage would the Coast be?

If you can't stand the heat don't light the fire!
Don't worry about me "snowy55", but thank you for your concern.;)

I anticipated the response but thought we might have had a grown up debate regardless, well I was wrong. My mistake.:headbang

:talktothehand :talktothehand :talktothehand :talktothehand

Initially I read this as another Ocean v Beach 'mine is better than yours' thread (which I find a bit tedious) but having owned our Beach (Marigold) for almost a year and having come from a 1980 Westfalia Joker I thought I'd offer my thoughts on why so many owners may consider internal additions.
The old van was amazing but lack of practicality (55mph), economy (20mpg), reliability (one too many hard shoulders experiences) and safety (for kids seats) she had to go. The decision to flog the car and buy one vehicle that did everything lead us to a California Beach and we haven't looked back - for versatility and flexibility there is nothing like it. As an everyday vehicle / day van for a young family it is absolutely perfect and for long stay summer camping trips when cooking and eating outdoors it is just fantastic.
Where it falls down for me (and obviously others) is the lack of permanent storage because I believe this compromises all year round usability for every type of trip. Cubby holes in doors and drawers under seats are useful but don't allow us to leave any significant amount of gear in the van if we want to maintain boot space and the versatility we rely on day to day. My storage box routine is now pretty slick but if I'm honest still a drag if we want to get away quickly or at short notice. On short or overnight trips, unloading and setting up can also be a chore if conditions are damp and we definitely miss the ability to instantly set up camp.
The main point I wanted to make was that a multitude of cupboards and storage spaces in our old Westy not only meant everything always had its place but also contributed greatly to the overall character of the van. It resulted in a very special home-from-home feeling that I doubt the Beach will ever have and I think as much as anything this was to do with being surrounded by our 'stuff'. Most of it necessity but also plenty of it nice-to-haves because there was ample room. Perhaps this, in addition to the obvious practical benefits, is part of the appeal for aftermarket storage solutions? Or am I just being nostalgic?
In terms of VW missing a trick, I think WelshGas makes a good point - there are clearly gaps in the current offering. Even if the basic models remained the same, they could be making a killing with a wider range of integrated storage options. Having said that, it would be virtually impossible to meet every single users requirements. Perhaps if UK demand continues to increase, VW may consider offering the Coast or another in-between incarnation that will be worth a look in the future. In the meantime, we aren't looking to modify Marigold at all, just playing to her strengths and enjoying every minute.

Initially I read this as another Ocean v Beach 'mine is better than yours' thread (which I find a bit tedious) but having owned our Beach (Marigold) for almost a year and having come from a 1980 Westfalia Joker I thought I'd offer my thoughts on why so many owners may consider internal additions.
The old van was amazing but lack of practicality (55mph), economy (20mpg), reliability (one too many hard shoulders experiences) and safety (for kids seats) she had to go. The decision to flog the car and buy one vehicle that did everything lead us to a California Beach and we haven't looked back - for versatility and flexibility there is nothing like it. As an everyday vehicle / day van for a young family it is absolutely perfect and for long stay summer camping trips when cooking and eating outdoors it is just fantastic.
Where it falls down for me (and obviously others) is the lack of permanent storage because I believe this compromises all year round usability for every type of trip. Cubby holes in doors and drawers under seats are useful but don't allow us to leave any significant amount of gear in the van if we want to maintain boot space and the versatility we rely on day to day. My storage box routine is now pretty slick but if I'm honest still a drag if we want to get away quickly or at short notice. On short or overnight trips, unloading and setting up can also be a chore if conditions are damp and we definitely miss the ability to instantly set up camp.
The main point I wanted to make was that a multitude of cupboards and storage spaces in our old Westy not only meant everything always had its place but also contributed greatly to the overall character of the van. It resulted in a very special home-from-home feeling that I doubt the Beach will ever have and I think as much as anything this was to do with being surrounded by our 'stuff'. Most of it necessity but also plenty of it nice-to-haves because there was ample room. Perhaps this, in addition to the obvious practical benefits, is part of the appeal for aftermarket storage solutions? Or am I just being nostalgic?
In terms of VW missing a trick, I think WelshGas makes a good point - there are clearly gaps in the current offering. Even if the basic models remained the same, they could be making a killing with a wider range of integrated storage options. Having said that, it would be virtually impossible to meet every single users requirements. Perhaps if UK demand continues to increase, VW may consider offering the Coast or another in-between incarnation that will be worth a look in the future. In the meantime, we aren't looking to modify Marigold at all, just playing to her strengths and enjoying every minute.
At Last - a sensible answer to a question ( maybe not as well presented as it could have been - my apologies ) without the " mine is better than yours, or Se/Oceans belong to the older generation " comments.
So basically, increased storage that does not compromise the " Boot Space " nor the internal space in any significant way or which can be easily removed when more space required.

Then there's always the"The Happy Shoper" :bananadance
Have you ever eaten Happy Shopper cheddar cheese ? ...... it tastes like chalk - and because of that i have stopped using the phrase 'chalk and cheese' - funny how a low quality food range can effect the english language

I posted sensible answers in all the other numerous threads to be fair as did others. I don't get why we keep having the discussion multiple times but it must be important to some.

I've started using a couple of the Quartermaster setups (which I saw on the forum) and I'm hoping that they will prove flexible until i can get a pod of some kind. Can be used in van or in awning, have built in drawers and are light and easily fixed to the rails with some eyelets.

The bed is now amazing with a comfortz topper, really comfy and so huge, I don't miss being cramped in 3/4 bed vans.

The storage is definitely the main problem I agree and compared to our T25's camping is a more difficult. That may be better with the 2 seat beach I don't know. This has been made worse by us getting 2 dogs turning trips into more of a faff.

We spent Sunday in one of our T25s and having everything we needed stored in its own place made the day a pleasure. I had forgotten how easy it can be.

For me I think the Beach is a good camping solution for short stays or one or two people but for bigger groups you will need to be prepared for lots of shuffling things about, or rather a little more shuffling than a normal camper.

That said I think an internal pod being my preference or even the rear slidepod are making more and more sense to me the more I see them and think about them. Something you can remove and put in your awning makes it perfect if that's how you travel.

Oops picture
795091346dd28681aeb1f235e713771c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after 3 years of ownership I know why I own a Beach. Nothing else matches its versatility...!!!
If I'm honest, I actually think the Volkswagen T5 range is a bit Chavvy.

However there is nothing on the market which ticks all the boxes and I mean nothing, believe me I've checkedo_O

I am in the camp of no pods etc. I don't see the point as they would take up vital useable space. Hence Volkswagen have the design spot on. Plus I've travelled for 3 weeks over the continent and done lots of trips and the Beach works .

I have just come back from a week in Devon at a self catering house and fit the all the luggage 4 adults and a baby. You just couldn't do this in anything else:thumb

Well after 3 years of ownership I know why I own a Beach. Nothing else matches its versatility...!!!
If I'm honest, I actually think the Volkswagen T5 range is a bit Chavvy.

However there is nothing on the market which ticks all the boxes and I mean nothing, believe me I've checkedo_O

I am in the camp of no pods etc. I don't see the point as they would take up vital useable space. Hence Volkswagen have the design spot on. Plus I've travelled for 3 weeks over the continent and done lots of trips and the Beach works .

I have just come back from a week in Devon at a self catering house and fit the all the luggage 4 adults and a baby. You just couldn't do this in anything else:thumb

My son is seriously looking to buy a Beach for the above reasons
Plenty of options to play around with

For me the Cali SE is tailor made off the shelf

Alan

Am I correct in believing that the California Beach is the first time the California name has ever been used on a vehicle without fitted furniture / sink / hob etc. - For 38 years, the name has referred to the SE / Ocean levels of equipment?
The T4 had the Multivan which shared some of the roles but lacked the pop up roof.

"I have just come back from a week in Devon at a self catering house and fit the all the luggage 4 adults and a baby. You just couldn't do this in anything else:thumb"

Yes you could - A caravelle & had the convenience of a passenger door on each side

Was really considering the space camper version as way more flexible than any Ocean/Beach.
But the wait is insane and the price isn't lower than Cali.
Also they build on caravelle's base.
But having 2 side doors and kitchen expanding outside is pretty cool.
Also loved their own insanely flexible and light bench.

Yes true.
However the Beach has the pop-up roof and although not used on this occasion, I couldn't imagine doing a two/three week trip round somewhere like Italy or where ever takes your fancy in a Caravelle.

Actually, I can imagine. I did two weeks in France in my old T5 which didn't have a pop-up roof which helped me decide that I was in the market for a Beach:D

The Beach is hands down, the only vehicle out that that can accomplish so much and execute it so well...!!!

"I have just come back from a week in Devon at a self catering house and fit the all the luggage 4 adults and a baby. You just couldn't do this in anything else:thumb"

Yes you could - A caravelle & had the convenience of a passenger door on each side

Anyone had a good look at the MP Activity yet?

Anyone had a good look at the MP Activity yet?

Last I read it wasn't coming to UK shores. Plus it has a couple of things I'm not keen on.
1 - how the tables and chairs are stored. Volkswagen had a stroke of genius when they fit them into the tailgate and sliding door
2 - the activity dash board is horrendous to look at

It's a shame, because I quite like the look and rarity of the Mercedes shape.

Last I read it wasn't coming to UK shores. Plus it has a couple of things I'm not keen on.
1 - how the tables and chairs are stored. Volkswagen had a stroke of genius when they fit them into the tailgate and sliding door
2 - the activity dash board is horrendous to look at

It's a shame, because I quite like the look and rarity of the Mercedes shape.

I last heard it's coming to the UK third 1/4 this year, although my local MB Dealer is telling me 2017.

What I like about it is that it is sold as a MB Car, not a truck

Hi WG,
What was the original question? You started with a statement in the very first post (a fair few comments ago now!), is the question why do beach owners spec up their vehicle instead of just getting an SE/Ocean? Or is it why don't SE/ Ocean owners take stuff out?
Or is it neither?
For me we chose a Beach because we have 3 children and need the seats. The option of an extra seat in the SE/Ocean looks very impractical when I've seen pictures. Of course I'd like more storage and some fixed cooking facilities but the amount that takes away from the downstairs bed for me is not worth the convenience. As always the answer to this debate is 'horses for courses' I think.
I like my Beach, I like the 360 windows and the spacious feeling within. I think the Ocean is great but not for me.
If I take a hob with me it's not because I secretly wish that I had an Ocean it's because I like warm food/drink.
I might not have got to the heart of what you wanted to find out initially, sorry if I haven't.
Dave

Spot on. I too have 3 kids and the 7 seats were more important than a hob and sink.

I think it's a shame that VW do not offer the electric roof in the Beach though.

Back