Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 kids - what to do?

interestingly multimac say: "the smaller model (MM 1000) fits under the bed but this model (Superclub) doesn't...."

If i ever have this in, i'm going to be using it as a people carrier and if i do camp, i'll be putting up a tent and only using the roof for sleeping, so i'm going for the superclub junior, as it can take two small adults if needed. (or two growing girls....)
I wonder whether you could stow the 1400 length wise under the bed. I don’t have the measurements to hand with the bed down, but I’m going to check. The 1000mm would likely be a bit cramped unless the kids are small (which they won’t be for long in any case!)

The multimac is crazy expensive in some ways, but less than a full set of fancy alloys / tyres.... (so i guess that's what i have to put up with for having three children and an girlfriend with another! haha). It does seem to be a unique and well thought out bit of kit too. God knows why VW or someone, don't make a simple lighter weight two seat bench like westfailier did for the T4!!!

1590999653291.png

You can get these in Germany, but they don't fit the T5/T6 sadly. I wonder if someone somewhere makes a conversion bracket... Maybe in German, but my German isn't good enough to search for it.

I wonder whether you could stow the 1400 length wise under the bed. I don’t have the measurements to hand with the bed down, but I’m going to check. The 1000mm would likely be a bit cramped unless the kids are small (which they won’t be for long in any case!)

I would just leave it outside under a plactic cover or tarp. Or just get a tent and don't use the downstairs bed.

I would just leave it outside under a plactic cover or tarp. Or just get a tent and don't use the downstairs bed.
Agreed - I was thinking pop-up tent for the Multimac, or for fifth seat and child seats. But if multimac would go under bed, then works for wild camping too and beats putting up/ down a tent in heavy rain

Hi all, sorry just seen the replies

We have the 1320 Superclub - its brilliant but is heavy. Its been great and if we werent getting a van I would keep it. Our youngest is nearly 2 and still fits rear ways and the older 2 love the 5 point harnesses. The feet just fold away very easily.

If anyone interested I will be moving ours on this month: has 2 x YVLA headrest, baby seats, adult buckles, spare straps to install in 2 cars etc.

If you are selling your multimac, I would be interested, as I'm about to buy one. Depending on which size it is.
Hi Babble,

Sorry - its the Superclub. Come s with all the extras as above

Tim

The multimac is crazy expensive in some ways, but less than a full set of fancy alloys / tyres.... (so i guess that's what i have to put up with for having three children and an girlfriend with another! haha). It does seem to be a unique and well thought out bit of kit too. God knows why VW or someone, don't make a simple lighter weight two seat bench like westfailier did for the T4!!!

View attachment 60162

You can get these in Germany, but they don't fit the T5/T6 sadly. I wonder if someone somewhere makes a conversion bracket... Maybe in German, but my German isn't good enough to search for it.
You could ask these guys.

Hi Babble,

Sorry - its the Superclub. Come s with all the extras as above

Tim
Cheers Tim, sadly that won't fit a Cali Ocean. I've ordered a junior club which fits perfectly. I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling it.

Cheers Tim, sadly that won't fit a Cali Ocean. I've ordered a junior club which fits perfectly. I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling it.
Hi @babble please share your views when you receive and install your Multimac. I’m keen to hear how you find it

Just to let you know you wont struggle to sell it on... it took 8hrs on gumtree for slightly over what I paid for it second hand 2 years ago!

Hi @babble please share your views when you receive and install your Multimac. I’m keen to hear how you find it
Will do! it should be here fairly soon. (Multimac were very easy to deal with and agreed to speed up the production and delivery to ensure I get it on time for my holiday in July.)

Just to let you know you wont struggle to sell it on... it took 8hrs on gumtree for slightly over what I paid for it second hand 2 years ago!
Wow, that’s great to know. There’s also the point about offsetting it against the cost of replacing cars. On the downside we already have a ‘suite’ of car seats and maxi-cosi bases from first two kids and for grandparents’ cars.

Do you know whether you can clip the multimac baby seat directly into pram (with adapters) in the same way you can with MaxiCosi baby seat?

Wow, that’s great to know. There’s also the point about offsetting it against the cost of replacing cars. On the downside we already have a ‘suite’ of car seats and maxi-cosi bases from first two kids and for grandparents’ cars.

Do you know whether you can clip the multimac baby seat directly into pram (with adapters) in the same way you can with MaxiCosi baby seat?

no you can’t clip it and it’s heavy and a bit of a faff to site it back in correctly. You get the hang of it but we ended up just perfecting the transfer straight to buggy within the seat. Strange to see it go today, van pick up in 2 and a bit weeks so just a car to sell and we’re there!

Thanks - that’s what I suspected.
no you can’t clip it and it’s heavy and a bit of a faff to site it back in correctly. You get the hang of it but we ended up just perfecting the transfer straight to buggy within the seat. Strange to see it go today, van pick up in 2 and a bit weeks so just a car to sell and we’re there!
Thanks - that’s what I suspected. I can imagine it felt a bit like the end of an era. I’m finding our kids are growing up too quickly. One of the reasons we bought the Cali was to enjoy the years and explore while they still want to spend time with us!

Thanks - that’s what I suspected.

Thanks - that’s what I suspected. I can imagine it felt a bit like the end of an era. I’m finding our kids are growing up too quickly. One of the reasons we bought the Cali was to enjoy the years and explore while they still want to spend time with us!
The window of kids wanting to spend time with us is why we’ve bought the van. We hope for 7-10 years (oldest 6 nearly 7) but let’s see!

The window of kids wanting to spend time with us is why we’ve bought the van. We hope for 7-10 years (oldest 6 nearly 7) but let’s see!
Tim, mine are 30 (plus now a Grand Daughter) and 29 and they still want to come with us......just replace free sweets with free wine as they get older......

So, here you go! Rather easy to fit once you work out where the straps go.

Fits like a glove (multimac super club junior) and with the seat as far back as it will go (without the multimac hitting the brackets for the rear shelf, which are slightly narrower than the multimac). you can even put the table up in the back if you swivel the '5th' seat a little.

1592493916498.png
1592493948745.png

1592493969262.png

All in all a very capable 6 seater if some of your posse are kids. My 12 year old sat in all the seats without even using the adult belt attachment, (which i have for both sides - so you can remove the five point harness and use the Cali seatbelts). She seemed to like it. I'll post some more photos with kids sitting in it, and an little explainer about where to attach the straps at a later date. (and tell you how my 12 hour drive with six of us goes too....)

I looked at those Multimac seats when we knew cost centre #3 would arrive and we’d have three kids needing child seats (then 7, 5, and newborn) to squeeze into a car.

I ruled out the Multimac on the basis that while the Multimac infant baby seat is rear facing, when junior is ready to move into the next size up, from around 12 months, he needs to be forward facing, there’s no rear facing option for this age range, whereas our other standalone car seats allowed for rear facing until around aged 4.

I think they’re great though if your kids are all over the age of 4.

We ended up buying a seven seater SUV (XC90) and putting the big kid (in his car seat) in the third row. Middle and youngest kids go in the middle row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at those Multimac seats when we knew cost centre #3 would arrive and we’d have three kids needing child seats (then 7, 5, and newborn) to squeeze into a car.

I ruled out the Multimac on the basis that while the Multimac infant baby seat is rear facing, when junior is ready to move into the next size up, from around 12 months, he needs to be forward facing, there’s no rear facing option for this age range, whereas our other standalone car seats allowed for rear facing until around aged 4.

I think they’re great though if your kids are all over the age of 4.

We ended up buying a seven seater SUV (XC90) and putting the big kid (in his car seat) in the third row. Middle and youngest kids go in the middle row.

Thanks for highlighting this as we have our third on the way and are considering a Multimac. Having now consulted Multimac’s website, their advice is that rear facing is used up to 24months. I haven’t seen the ‘minimac’ rear facing seat in person so don’t know how practical that would be - obviously depends on the size of the child! That said, a number of countries mandate rearward facing until 4 years.

No worries glad I could be helpful.

The other thing to bear in mind, other than whether any child aged 24 months would squeeze into their infant seat, is the infant seat itself is quite a bulky thing, and doesn’t have the option to be easily removed and to clip onto a buggy base or to be removed from the car with the baby still in it. Both these options we found very useful with all three of our kids.

Having just got rid of our multimac... my not particularly small 2 year old still fitted in the rear facing mini Mac no problem