Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 kids - what to do?

All in all a very capable 6 seater if some of your posse are kids. My 12 year old sat in all the seats without even using the adult belt attachment, (which i have for both sides - so you can remove the five point harness and use the Cali seatbelts). She seemed to like it. I'll post some more photos with kids sitting in it, and an little explainer about where to attach the straps at a later date. (and tell you how my 12 hour drive with six of us goes too....)
Hi @babble how are you getting on with your Multimac?

Our third is due any day now

It was / is great. Did exactly what I needed, which was to make my Cali Coast a six person people carrier. I used it for about a month, including two all-day journeys. Kids of 13, 11, 11, and 8 all perfectly happy. I can remove it, and the fifth seat in less than ten minutes.

Still obviously not for camping unless you are going for a while and/or take a trailer I think,

Best of luck with number 3!!

It was / is great. Did exactly what I needed, which was to make my Cali Coast a six person people carrier. I used it for about a month, including two all-day journeys. Kids of 13, 11, 11, and 8 all perfectly happy. I can remove it, and the fifth seat in less than ten minutes.

Still obviously not for camping unless you are going for a while and/or take a trailer I think,

Best of luck with number 3!!
I started this thread during the summer whilst awaiting the arrival of our 3 child. We now have a happy and healthy boy - now almost 3 months old. Delighted.

We have also kept hold of our SE - can’t bring myself to sell it whilst there is a hope that we can make it work reasonably well fro us, at least whilst kids are young. (5, 3 and 3 months currently).

@babble - have you tried to put your multimac under the rear bed, lengthwise, once the bed is folded down?

I think you confirmed before that it wouldn’t fit width wise, but I’m thinking that it should fit length wise, with the bed down, once set up for camping. Not ideal for overnight stops, but still a lot better than 3 child car seats and a fifth seat.

I started this thread during the summer whilst awaiting the arrival of our 3 child. We now have a happy and healthy boy - now almost 3 months old. Delighted.

We have also kept hold of our SE - can’t bring myself to sell it whilst there is a hope that we can make it work reasonably well fro us, at least whilst kids are young. (5, 3 and 3 months currently).

@babble - have you tried to put your multimac under the rear bed, lengthwise, once the bed is folded down?

I think you confirmed before that it wouldn’t fit width wise, but I’m thinking that it should fit length wise, with the bed down, once set up for camping. Not ideal for overnight stops, but still a lot better than 3 child car seats and a fifth seat.

You will need to check your bench & car seats to see if yours match what we have , the standard 2 seat bench has isofix for the 2 belted positions, however the spacing between the two inner ones is the same as in each seat position. This means you can fix one isofix seat in the middle of the bench leaving the two seatbelts free for use by others. Access to the seatbelt receptacles is difficult but depends on what isofix base is used. Also if child seats are used on the outer positions with inbuilt harnesses you don't need to access the seatbelt anyway.

You will need to check your bench & car seats to see if yours match what we have , the standard 2 seat bench has isofix for the 2 belted positions, however the spacing between the two inner ones is the same as in each seat position. This means you can fix one isofix seat in the middle of the bench leaving the two seatbelts free for use by others. Access to the seatbelt receptacles is difficult but depends on what isofix base is used. Also if child seats are used on the outer positions with inbuilt harnesses you don't need to access the seatbelt anyway.
Thanks Andy - in the short term, we need 3 child seats and I don’t think you could fit 3 of those across the rear bench, irrespective of Isofix. However, longer term (once the eldest two are older), I can see your approach of one Isofix seat in the middle working, with two older kids on either side. Thanks for that idea

We’re getting on great with our Multimac. A big investment but much more practical than a fifth seat in our experience. We’re currently on day 5 of a Outer Hebrides and west coast of Scotland trip. The Multimac (and a healthy dose of patience) has been a key enabler to this.

We wrap the multimac in a large tarp and keep it outside overnight.

AAACDE9C-EF1A-4E59-9F82-66BEC2CE7453.jpeg

Do you have any photos of the multimac installed?

We bought our SE last summer (via this forum) and have loved getting away in it pre-COVID with our 4 year old and 2 year old kids, particularly to west coast of Scotland. We now have our third child on the way and I’m wondering whether the Cali SE/Ocean can be enjoyable for a family of 5.

We have a fifth seat although it takes up a lot of space inside and is heavy to move in and out. I’m prepared to buy a small pop up tent to house this overnight. I’m not inclined to go down the drive away awning route (unless staying on a site for a few days) as I like minimal setup, hence buying the Cali in the first place.

I’ve considered selling and buying a 3-seat Beach, which would definitely work better whilst driving, but I’m not convinced the Beach would work for our storage needs as a family of 5. The wardrobe, kitchen shelves and overhead locker are excellent in our SE. Good spec Beaches also seem rare - 3zone, parking heater and LED lights would be my minimum requirements (spec on our SE has spoiled us).

I’ve also considered buying a Multimac, which looks good, however looks bulky and tricky to remove and store come camping time (and it’s £1500!)

So, I think we’re down to (1) keeping the SE and try to make it work for us; or (2) selling the van and return to cottage type breaks and holidays.

(As an aside, we also have two cars which we use as daily drives, neither of which are designed to hold 3 Isofix seats, so will be changing those - probably to a VW Touran which can take 3 Isofix car seats side by side)

All helpful thoughts and advice gratefully accepted, particularly on how we might arrange the seats/ camping arrangements to make the SE work for us.
Your post is very helpful to me. I need 5 seats and i am not convinced the ocean is the way as i am sceptical of the 5 seat oprion and you have confirmed it. Some people here are saying it is fine but I do not see myself constantly taking it in and out.

I know this is a vw forum but have you considered the ford? It is a wider van and can accommodate 3 seats and a kitchen.

Your post is very helpful to me. I need 5 seats and i am not convinced the ocean is the way as i am sceptical of the 5 seat oprion and you have confirmed it. Some people here are saying it is fine but I do not see myself constantly taking it in and out.

I know this is a vw forum but have you considered the ford? It is a wider van and can accommodate 3 seats and a kitchen.
Ignore. I replied to a very old thread by mistake

The latest evolution in our Cali adventures with 3 children… we’ve today ordered a 3-seater Beach Camper (with almost all the options on our SE). Time will tell whether this is the right choice for us, but we thought it time to give a Beach a try. Wish us luck!

This multimac has grabbed my attention. We have a Coast (2022) and only one child. Normally perfect. There are times, however, when grandparents want to join us for a day trip. That makes us 5. We didn’t specify the extra seat and rail so end up squeezing into a Seat Ibiza. Could a multimac be the solution. Does anyone know if it is rated for adults? I see on the website they have an adaptor for an over the shoulder seat belt.

@Not-tonyadventures Multimac say that it is possible to accommodate “small adults”. However, for the specific Multimac seat which fits the California Ocean (Superclub Junior), I think this would only be plausible for the slightly wider middle seat. I suspect the narrower outer two seats would be a struggle even for small adults.

The latest evolution in our Cali adventures with 3 children… we’ve today ordered a 3-seater Beach Camper (with almost all the options on our SE). Time will tell whether this is the right choice for us, but we thought it time to give a Beach a try. Wish us luck!
You won’t regret it. Gives far more flexibility.

This multimac has grabbed my attention. We have a Coast (2022) and only one child. Normally perfect. There are times, however, when grandparents want to join us for a day trip. That makes us 5. We didn’t specify the extra seat and rail so end up squeezing into a Seat Ibiza. Could a multimac be the solution. Does anyone know if it is rated for adults? I see on the website they have an adaptor for an over the shoulder seat belt.
The two bigger of my three went on the sides. No adult seatbelt in the middle. Good for someone pretty small. My mum, 5 foot zero, could fit I them and my daught until 14.

@babble I see you’ve also switched from an Ocean to a Beach, after having a Multimac initially. The same journey as ours. Hopefully you’re enjoying the Beach?

@Not-tonyadventures Multimac say that it is possible to accommodate “small adults”. However, for the specific Multimac seat which fits the California Ocean (Superclub Junior), I think this would only be plausible for the slightly wider middle seat. I suspect the narrower outer two seats would be a struggle even for small adults.
Thank you.

@babble I see you’ve also switched from an Ocean to a Beach, after having a Multimac initially. The same journey as ours. Hopefully you’re enjoying the Beach?
i changed to the 2 seater beach, mainly because i never used the sink, and only ever one burner, nor most of the storage above bed level, and i like the flexibility of the beach, so i add a fridge as and when i need it, but i get that big bed and or load space. (I also wanted 4 motion)

i have three girls, but i'm a single parent so it's mostly just the four of us. I was previously with someone who had a daughter, so i needed six seats occasionally to use it as a people carrier. if that happens again, i can add two extra seats to the two seater beach. if i ever need seven seats (i've just started dating someone with two kids....!!!) then i will just buy a three seat bench to make the seven seater.

Today i bought a 6cm memory foam cool king sized topper from Dunelm (£130) cut the edges to fit the van and put it all in a duvet cover from IKEA (£20). It's really very comfy.

Tv_WKyVEpIbw40dOWEyrbzGitVXu1WA2h8-WIDdSQg3AwbembvXuDmYsCP8S-qm-adwZg9B4vRNcUD_IIrbxP_JWIfetppRNXiwd7jyuhPiOk5F-_peXAna-7s8r7BNaD5D9KekKhGxxiSBio2yHGXwBuZKo2xuOrSzgvdAEBSrhezWOZF8fhDBhwg8B2fG4_-T2QSJhSI6kmwQwOBlJcAQ9LLZ7G8w1kst4t0G3tGUYgVTi5nxTBFonlFuejJi7hzs3RXJbnbt24SwBD1U0GQ331Bcke8W5DF5M-5pHLBj3SHUG8aEq7YXhtYQnNSW2qg6lxxHHF1KvWZSnQX1SKPdUieTrzhZ1mWZUnlTfQV57JBA06MjyU2kOoPwsqXcd5NVeyzO24k7KWTBwRiKZH0t4qhtwhmsTGI-3DaFb6fgQYL4yUd_LHVqNLnISGpwYnVHfh9NuK6SLu4YsJKek-XkCVbvEF9JU1320wySC4tlNq0CSlnls-OVTZchJCcXD6E4J4vLJtEZojU0MFaRjPJtwucGNXwAjZ8NvXZjbF03Jc-gwVMG3wDs0M6q4hzm0PXN20eFBNdGyjEJ6TB55JG93HynpybAK1uVGF00pgjNHKLBFtwihj8YQ3i39aZyD1iuaPWx-win4v7FAd6uoEWHaVmOCb4t6d6_Mv8_1e7PIHqmOFoKSwNHTsPwcUcgtK3b2WftZYgDOWnY0oRWEFAYdROwtxRK_AoHNHBkjQCAQHmehSys5cFEpMdBy23uOerxZZ-TBl-tJirOCMWlZ2_9bsFFqleOdsD6BsSzAOqQ7jzULLJguC9dhyomSBDZkCD7_2O1ZZ8LThr0_8EFHLRIhK9oGlKvmCb898BsJnVLORT1AICRkdhvT5SHRFJv6-6KSawHvuat2qTuHOiTNHKCp4IWMn8_8FYN-u1Ve1sJ4jEZpjQC0n208d3zfTszxd7LmJ5CUs8ZWj6bbhynPAg=w1540-h866-s-no
xVCAFARpXLETbpQxAeClvNL1_agKQwoM3LIsn7H2jb5fyJzMKZkVLfLft9i508xG_EUHSJM4aXpLGS3EVAluhcJO-uJfYr0EZVBKfA4g9syRD2R0UUMlKu3eQ40lWDN0kY0Tz4H0uJZ0_xqMx9NVtqmnmFyzicYA3Ro9q0VhLkWIIEnpSs4c4RZA8ifrNM5f2nh3_7gEIDG-SeLLdm0KUuClI_TEthCfkQ0aAZy6MzD_JyoycNHwh2cKUo-NJ9_J-g281JPf72jGydkMe-wqWlKxaWuSjgJrhRHk2hPM8cg0cWiX2_EU2Bd99mBcoVXPlNcM4lzpC_giJIbm0zMDTerJbLBXD2I-LS-GGe_xquRK3I2xGkbIQB0d6D98kkPS_qoor2BX6BDF2--0TRmX-iZ4kjHFxA0-qBSrUBNV53KDXdOpoS0U1ftv91lPec5yPqrs-6Be66LWW9qqm9CjngioaINoIR2w9AceetaRZ0RTlm-HlToL1haV-mIQ9_aG2t8JIuKqmCnyervFSCcD0D54Gm6FwKsu2j8HCo7KqXQm55fDq5vWPsSdGUQTbnIGwcfNdo_6TT48IsV2-MWMJjf4Z0G8cZgHK5kn5VLaSh6QG4TPhHefp_kdKIw-2lbj0cfD4Hr_AV37tGF6PqFH-SMlp874_W8TExJ9m_bWyQYBh2F6Db-vxreCXRwMAeiEhSjkTzMkKWlmWGZENNFLqh6ZMX-ZXdHswEHMBpTL2ACWpP8KM5YRjEhHUI9xiqURt2zGMUNJQf5E9PiL3Kfzc_v1IxeBVjptIo9gJHlDrmm_9Wn6tS4Uz3SVfbfSDqdzIhsQFmWl14mTqZNAimCTeQEw4BSD3EYi7ESqFp75eXlT5pRX_3O6S2m_2Vh2uzBpDbvC77e0XcgyDg_2IYrpAoPVlgRo1YIBckxWD3R2efHYLSBsaIPb1vV0SD17na9cb7IPE9uH9GDMMiKSh1AYGw=w1540-h866-s-no

PwmnDu9UbGpmWSrjt12pDD0sjZry3u2ti0O2Ez0-hzgE8wC7N6-hczNbM0AALAM4Ppv6YIh0JcaMcmYHZPqplGLwIbX4oKeQPKTGsqG7CCdT43vOlrw6LIKS3cL0kviM-1zAEAmhnhV8QP0BuXDu8JHSziCShoFXK3DOAaR902XdLgwLTF1__DiwFpQrbY2DrJFL4O7rmOhT92mpPwcr0OXpIh-0ZPxhJ1XmnMk2UBmv4QLODl52J8GR3SPhd_Y3hWpHOZWMMP3uAsbhZ18REQDPZCxj8cfyXMnsqLbxL98JPZbGONGbbpksn5WteKGejyBvsnnu2nvmIdGz9RRhhnsgg51bOQTRi5swyXdZvkuiVLZnM7uZg4bBksJgIHdniblH5qItYqerGIzhNdBiBFVup-tYMZi-SCjGIoacHZRZth0eM-RFtxeuNpt6Q8Ntyi_K9HSU53o0fFa2U9JAnfEbfzVu9lSJYOpU6cRQwgR098YXMs8VAnz9C6PTthMcFQbPDyupxqA3TeJIBAwkcteCyahaFSu19wjSQR0sBGbJ_ram0SNH1AD9Vy2qzYzGf_06Mt1xARgjulDXqIrdBMpHbx5gRXU5NEb577higmqzgo2LkyzNjHsiFmiF3MwU_5vXemgpaL-9O9CghCL0-ByXoOJBGY7tp48A1kqcLvWMmx3S0Xtw3Y_mOpDORP3yU783QAvbTkO0I6fvtekj1oyeyNiDhLRqoOzpzyBK-D4X95zv_o0jfpn-rZCtT_RuQzNgk9v49w0IK93IELMru42rsmKgjcdTq_o6FuH3_QMIvDL2Xqt9mPivJZOw1V7SkcBmLPLfYkZyplSSSEq-lEkGVT2D5Kq7uw8S6OMnKSjTKSrrNTsmnQATRIOI1s_eYGBu9LN8Bqvv0ojglkBocZtYxg1gF8mLd8mpUVmQMMdyPm3UDZMRwvFVW4XiV6vi-rAfwwv8LoWSnuguPrklqA=w1540-h866-s-no

Depends on how you use the van & where you camp.

Our SE used to have the 5th seat in all the time & was used as daily transport, remove the rear shelf & it works well as a five seater. For days out its perfect having all the facilities with you. A Thetford 335 under the sink is brilliant with little ones. Cold drinks from the fridge, sink to wash your hands etc.

For camping, we used to favour sites where you could just park up & walk / ride bikes. This meant taking the 5th seat out on arrival & putting it back at the end of the break - thats easy enough, just a pain if you have to do it daily, but easy enough if you do want to have a day trip.

You can also make a shorter bed downstairs by leaving the rear shelf at home. If you do this you can leave the 5th seat in place. Fold the back of it down to make a table. Sleep the kids on the short bed & adults upstairs.

We took the view that if we had a beach we would spend half the break loading & unloading the van - go out for the day - do you load up the fridge, stove, water etc. In an Ocean you just take it with you.

As a van in daily us for 5 occasionally used to go camping a SE / Ocean is a good compromise, if you don't use it as a main car & only for camping its not the best, but if that was all I used ours for I wouldn't choose a beach either.

PS. Theres nothing to stop you still renting cottages etc & turning up in a Cali.
I still wish someone would offer a shorter version of the shelf, which would allow the fifth seat to stay in place for the occasional overnight

My son had the 3 kids dilemma so opted for a LWB Camperking Santorini (6 seat belts) which he collected last week. Not a Cali but very nice. Hot water too :)

a5acdc82-6ece-4467-a102-cc3ec83ab150.jpeg

I still wish someone would offer a shorter version of the shelf, which would allow the fifth seat to stay in place for the occasional overnight
Possible with Beach, 3 seat bench. MFB stays in place even when set up as 7 seater.

You need to look at the "new beach tour spec" thread - there's pictures on there of the new T6.1 2 seater beach multiflex board. That board was shown in the early T6.1 cali manuals fitted to an Ocean / Coast. The mounting points will need changing on the Ocean wardrobe & on the trim panel on the other side but looks to be easily do-able. Also gives more leg room in the daytime position whilst still having a shelf in place.