Not out to cause a riot - but!

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I just cannot get over the number of threads and posts about fitting Kitchen pods, Overhead lockers, Window Storage bags etc: etc: to a California Beach, but absolutely NO posts about how to remove the Wardrobe, Rear Storage Locker, Kitchen Unit or Overhead Locker in a California SE or Ocean.:D

I will now leave the room, and close the door.;);)

Relax Paul , i can imagine some need a Beach to use as a daily driver with more than 4 people ....
Glad you and i don't need and we get allong with a SE in witch we got plenty of space for two.....:thumb

They are both California's but so diffrent in the end.
I probally never would buy one but feel they are all part of the family as we do look afther the same thing : freedom of traveling and sleeping where others don't....

The idea of buying a Beach and driving to Ikea buying a wardrobe ....not to transport home but actualy to fit in the Cali makes me indeed roll my eyes but . Have you seen how some other campervans are inside? The Beach is a great verhicle and very popular.
Think in the end the budget spend on a Beach with all the extra needed bits is not far away from a SE/Ocean so think people are not going for a beach to save money but the fact they need the seats.

If there was a better wardrobe availeble i would take mine out of my SE to swap:D

Welshgas - but there have been a few about how to squeeze more seats into an SE, a lightweight 2 seater middle row as was available for the T4 would save the need for anyone to compromise and make do with a Beach.:Grin

Runs for cover.......

I just cannot get over the number of threads and posts about fitting Kitchen pods, Overhead lockers, Window Storage bags etc: etc: to a California Beach, but absolutely NO posts about how to remove the Wardrobe, Rear Storage Locker, Kitchen Unit or Overhead Locker in a California SE or Ocean.:D

I did ask this question once so I reckon there is 1 post out there :) I've often wondered what the overall cost would be of buying an Ocean and selling the kitchen stuff on eBay! You get a lot of stuff as standard (heater, comfort dash, etc) in the Ocean and spec'ing a Beach similarly costs a lot. Converting to 3 seater would be more of a pain but 2 seater should be simple enough!

I did ask this question once so I reckon there is 1 post out there :) I've often wondered what the overall cost would be of buying an Ocean and selling the kitchen stuff on eBay! You get a lot of stuff as standard (heater, comfort dash, etc) in the Ocean and spec'ing a Beach similarly costs a lot. Converting to 3 seater would be more of a pain but 2 seater should be simple enough!

You do would be needing some trim to fit where the wardrobes sitting...and still be without running water and waste water tank...
Feel free to be the first to do it....and keep us posted with pictures:D

No I just ordered a Beach instead :) But one day if I'm really bored I'll do the maths just out of curiosity ...

I shouldn't care about posts like this but it's difficult. There's no objective other than to imply the Beach is less of a California and that Beach owners all secretly want an Ocean - we really don't.

As I've said before, my imminently arriving Beach, with all the bits I wanted, has a list price of nearly £53k - I could have bought a brand new 204PS 4Motion Ocean for that but I don't want to compromise and 'make do' with an Ocean. This kind of thread just allows some Ocean and SE drivers to misguidedly pat themselves on their (apparently) superior backs.

There's no posts about taking bits out of an Ocean because it would be mad to do so. There are posts about pods bcause Beach drivers do OCCASIONALLY want to drive around with a sink, water tank, gas cylinder, etc but, presumably, also want to be able to leave them at home for the majority of the time when they don't need them. That's it! Nothing more and nothing less.

I like cycling but I don't carry a bike all the time, just in case. Likewise, I like to wash stuff, cook stuff and keep stuff cold but I don't need to carry all the hardware to be able to do this in my chosen vehicle all the time, every time I go to work or go shopping.

Really, if you think your thread is going to be provocative (your title suggested this was the case, much like when people say "No offence, but...") ask if there's any point and then likely realise that you may as well delete it. A couple of emoticons at the end does not make you any less derogatory - quite the opposite. Posts like this make me think I should probably spend less time on the forum or just become a lurker who reads occasionally but stays quiet. Why partake in an open forum that allows intentional division? I'm pretty sure that's not what it's about.

Rant over. Again. Until the next 'why buy a Beach?' post started by a bored Ocean/SE driver who naively thinks the Beach is the compromised member of the California family, anyway.

Last edited:
I shouldn't care about posts like this but it's difficult. There's no objective other than to imply the Beach is less of a California and that Beach owners all secretly want an Ocean - we really don't.

As I've said before, my imminently arriving Beach, with all the bits I wanted, has a list price of nearly £53k - I could have bought a brand new 204PS 4Motion Ocean for that but I don't want to compromise and 'make do' with an Ocean. This kind of thread just allows some Ocean and SE drivers to misguidedly pat themselves on their (apparently) superior backs.

There's no posts about taking bits out of an Ocean because it would be mad to do so. There are posts about pods bcause Beach drivers do OCCASIONALLY want to drive around with a sink, water tank, gas cylinder, etc but, presumably, also want to be able to leave them at home for the majority of the time when they don't need them. That's it! Nothing more and nothing less.

I like cycling but I don't carry a bike all the time, just in case. Likewise, I like to wash stuff, cook stuff and keep stuff cold but I don't need to carry all the hardware to be able to do this in my chosen vehicle all the time, every time I go to work or go shopping.

Really, if you think your thread is going to be provocative (your title suggested this was the case, much like when people say "No offence, but...") ask if there's any point and then likely realise that you may as well delete it. A couple of emoticons at the end does not make you any less derogatory - quite the opposite. Posts like this make me think I should probably spend less time on the forum or just become a lurker who reads occasionally but stays quiet. Why partake in an open forum that allows intentional division? I'm pretty sure that's not what it's about.

Rant over. Again. Until the next 'why buy a Beach?' post started by a bored Ocean/SE driver who naively thinks the Beach is the compromised member of the California family, anyway.

Rhyddin, thank you. Case closed......

It does seem that some members doth protest too much!

If you read my original post you would see that I didn't demean the Beach in any way and in fact in other posts and Threads have supported it as a " Lifestyle " choice for a different lifestyle but the plethora of posts regarding fitting storage and furniture within the cabin seems to indicate that VW have missed the point with regards to how owners use their vehicle.

As far as the " Beach " costing £53,000.00p , so what if it's the vehicle you really, really want. The price doesn't impress me because it doesn't fit my lifestyle so I wouldn't consider it a contender.

It does seem that some members doth protest too much!

If you read my original post you would see that I didn't demean the Beach in any way and in fact in other posts and Threads have supported it as a " Lifestyle " choice for a different lifestyle but the plethora of posts regarding fitting storage and furniture within the cabin seems to indicate that VW have missed the point with regards to how owners use their vehicle.

As far as the " Beach " costing £53,000.00p , so what if it's the vehicle you really, really want. The price doesn't impress me because it doesn't fit my lifestyle so I wouldn't consider it a contender.
Actually, it doesn't suggest VW have missed the point, it proves that after market accessory suppliers have completely understood the point of the Beach.

Plus, don't throw in that you did not demean the Beach. Why else call the thread what you did? You knew damn well you'd get protests.

Counter productive and bad for the forum.

Incidentally, the cost is not meant to impress - it's meant to contextualise.

Last edited:
Actually, it doesn't suggest VW have missed the point, it proves that after market accessory suppliers have completely understood the point of the Beach.

Plus, don't throw in that you did not demean the Beach. Why else call the thread what you did? You knew damn well you'd get protests.

Counter productive and bad for the forum.

Incidentally, the cost is not meant to impress - it's meant to contextualise.
And protests from who?
Still haven't answered the original question!
I don't consider debate as being " Counter productive and bad for the Forum " but that does depend on people being able to debate a point and accept that not everyone agrees with their stance.

We will have to agree to disagree, or is that not allowed?

If 3rd party accessory suppliers have seen the point of the Beach then that just confirms that VW have not otherwise they would be offering some of these items as accessories.

You are saying this about bike racks roof racks and grilles as well? You mean he Beach owners have a more active life style? You mean they are more active on their vacations? You clearlybhave a point.

Not commenting about the vehicles just the amount of internal furniture that some owners are fitting.
Does that not take something away from the original capabilities of the vehicle. You don't hear of the reverse happening.

You are saying this about bike racks roof racks and grilles as well? You mean he Beach owners have a more active life style? You mean they are more active on their vacations? You clearlybhave a point.
No, that's why I didn't mention those items. Those accessories, or at least some of them, are available from VW for both vehicles but not roof lockers or kitchen/cooking pods nor Ikea units.

No, that's why I didn't mention those items. Those accessories, or at least some of them, are available from VW for both vehicles but not roof lockers or kitchen/cooking pods nor Ikea units.

I believe in some countries VW do let you spec a kitchen pod on the Beach. Not so sure about Ikea units though!

I believe in some countries VW do let you spec a kitchen pod on the Beach. Not so sure about Ikea units though!
So VW haven't got their market research quite right in the UK as there seems to be a market being filled by after market suppliers.

[QUOTE=" You mean they are more active on their vacations? You clearlybhave a point.[/QUOTE]
No, did all that with the 5 kids before Lycra became fashionable and the " must have " accessory.

Saw my first T6 Beach on Friday evening. Couldn't tell if it was running any kitchen pods etc.

Did notice the driver texting away whilst driving (M5)!! WTF?

Burnt red Beach. M5. You know who you are.

Well, If you had statistics you would probably seee that young families prefer the Beach and the elderly prefer the Ocean. If it was just me and the wife I am sure I would have saved some money and ordered an Ocean right away.

I find that the boot space in my SE with the bed board on the higher level allows my zimmer frame to fit in exactly so I had no need for the extra room in a Beach :(

Back