Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

I have just corrected my first post of today above to include the front cab loose windows blinds, which were also missing, and which Mike also took from another vehicle (pending a reorder of replacements, of course).

Last edited:
Similar story/concerns myself. I’m just going to go through the buying checklist carefully and thoroughly whether they like it or not.
Where can I find a check list?

I have just corrected my first post of today above to include the front cab loose windows blinds, which were also missing, and which Mike also took from another vehicle (pending his reorder, of course).
+Brendan eldridge

The Checklist is in 'Resources' above in a 2016 Forum Version.

Additionally, I have posted links above earlier today to my own checklist (reusing much of the Forum Version).

Plus, another member sent me theirs, in spreadsheet format, and that is on this link:

I if you DM me I can send the files by email.

Last edited:
Great post and info Viktorgeorge, thanks for posting. Hope those items weren’t nicked from my (soon to be collected) Cali lol.
I’m planning on driving around the corner after pick up too. I’ll check as much as possible at the dealership but it’s awkward when they’re “hovering”.

By the way, did you get the 2023 roof canvas?
I am pretty sure not. I have not done a comparison with an older California, but my roof is same colour grey both sides and a single thickness fabric. The inside face has a slight sheen to it, the outside in matt. Fearful about roof problems with a novel solution I am happy to have the tried and tested material anyway (assuming I have that).

Last edited:
I find the handovers where they try and explain how everything works to be a waste of time. Id rather sort out the operation (preferably before hand) on my own. Its hard to take it all in during the handover.

I checked for keys for tow bar, water inlet. Found the jack (wasn't sure if it came with one as I had no spare wheel). I did fail to check for first aid kit, warning triangle and emergency roof ties downs (and they were all missing), but did get the locking wheel nut adaptor, fly screens, door bin, rechargeable torch and ashtray/coin holder.

To be fair, nothing has been an issue to resolve after the event and I still have a few niggles to sort out. Sagging pop-top on one side (so good advice to get it tested for a few days prior to collection) and a very sensitive rear/side parking sensor that goes off all the time.

I would say that the main thing to check with any new car before driving it away is paint/wheel damage. That is one thing that is hard to prove was a delivery issue once you've left the site.
I agree that it is wrong to expect too much from the staff at dealer handover. On my checklist I had a range of points to ask for explanations but soon concluded that from my pre-study that I was already better informed (understandably and not to suggest fault on their part).

I agree paintwork check during handover is crucial. These vehicles have been handled several times between the factory and dealer. For the best inspection a small ladder (or step ladder) would be helpful, I have a telescopic one with rubber ends which would have been ideal though too lumpy to take on the train Suffolk to Sussex. I am quite tall and but managed to only check the roof scantily.

Anyway, I am pleased to say that the paintwork is all good.

Great post and info Viktorgeorge, thanks for posting. Hope those items weren’t nicked from my (soon to be collected) Cali lol.
I’m planning on driving around the corner after pick up too. I’ll check as much as possible at the dealership but it’s awkward when they’re “hovering”.
I only check this thread now to see if you have your van.
I collected mine this time last year (from a different dealer) and just got handed the keys to go and look for myself. Dealer came out about 15/20 mins later. He went through how things work, which meant I was able to check things off even if it was information overload. He showed me where all the bits were e.g. first aid kit, window blinds, fly screens etc so knew non were missing.
When you get it, I really hope you love it and it has been worth the wait.

I find the handovers where they try and explain how everything works to be a waste of time. Id rather sort out the operation (preferably before hand) on my own. Its hard to take it all in during the handover.

I checked for keys for tow bar, water inlet. Found the jack (wasn't sure if it came with one as I had no spare wheel). I did fail to check for first aid kit, warning triangle and emergency roof ties downs (and they were all missing), but did get the locking wheel nut adaptor, fly screens, door bin, rechargeable torch and ashtray/coin holder.

To be fair, nothing has been an issue to resolve after the event and I still have a few niggles to sort out. Sagging pop-top on one side (so good advice to get it tested for a few days prior to collection) and a very sensitive rear/side parking sensor that goes off all the time.

I would say that the main thing to check with any new car before driving it away is paint/wheel damage. That is one thing that is hard to prove was a delivery issue once you've left the site.
Seems like lots of the loose bits are being missed. Another to check is the table support strap. You may never use it, but it should be there.

5AC690FA-6430-44C2-B7EE-52F506E393EE.jpeg

I only check this thread now to see if you have your van.
I collected mine this time last year (from a different dealer) and just got handed the keys to go and look for myself. Dealer came out about 15/20 mins later. He went through how things work, which meant I was able to check things off even if it was information overload. He showed me where all the bits were e.g. first aid kit, window blinds, fly screens etc so knew non were missing.
When you get it, I really hope you love it and it has been worth the wait.
Lol, yeah it’s been one heck of a wait. But we’ll soon be in Club Fortana :cool:

I have to admit, I didn’t even know that was a thing! Is that for extra prep space when cooking?
Thats the idea. We’ve used it once only, but we normally prep and cook outside. Maybe it’ll be more useful in the coming months when camping.

We have fashioned an extra strap so we can hang the table over the end of folded down bed where the small person can sleep. Means we can still sit in the swivel seats and watch a film or have a drink using the table. Bit fiddly but works!
Thats the idea. We’ve used it once only, but we normally prep and cook outside. Maybe it’ll be more useful in the coming months when camping.

Hi everyone
first post as we have an Ocean on order from Liverpool which we ordered on 15/07/22 And expected middle of 2023. Amazingly, we have just been told it has been built and is now at the outgoing port for transport. Whilst we were told it would be about a year till delivery it has only been 3 1/2 months since order so maybe they are indeed catching up.

Notice van base van price has increased from 1/11 by about 1.5%, options still look to be same price, PCP interest is now an eye watering 8.9% a jump from 6.8%, this time last year it was 4.8%.

Last edited:
Hi everyone
first post as we have an Ocean on order from Liverpool which we ordered on 15/07/22 And expected middle of 2023. Amazingly, we have just been told it has been built and is now at the outgoing port for transport. Whilst we were told it would be about a year till delivery it has only been 3 1/2 months since order so maybe they are indeed catching up.
Wow o_O
That is so rapid! We were told by VW cars, that the order wait for a new Golf or ID3 is 24 months. On your experience maybe actually 7 months??

Wow o_O
That is so rapid! We were told by VW cars, that the order wait for a new Golf or ID3 is 24 months. On your experience maybe actually 7 months??
Yes, I heard similar: last week when I brought our coast to the dealer, I heard them say to potential buyers that it will take over a year for a new car, any car at vw o_O
So I guess that california is a take over order or a previously placed order from a dealer or retailer.

Last edited:
Notice van base van price has increased from 1/10 by about 1.5%, options still look to be same price, PCP interest is now an eye water 8.9% a jump from 6.8%, this time last year it 4.8%.
Both California Beach Tour and Camper specifications have been updated to include the Camper lighting concept in the elevating roof. This has increased the basic recommended retail price by £290, effective from 1 November 2022.

+Brendan eldridge

The Checklist is in 'Resources' above in a 2016 Forum Version.

Additionally, I have posted links above earlier today to my own checklist (reusing much of the Forum Version).

Plus, another member sent me theirs, in spreadsheet format, and that is on this link:

I if you DM me I can send the files by email.
Thanks

Picked up my Ocean (ordered 13.10.2021) Wednesday 26 October from Mike at Eurovans Crawley.

Access via Thameslink (in my case from Farringdon) to Ifield Station is brilliant with the dealer a stones throw away (but make sure you are in the front 5 coaches, I wasn't and had to run ...).

Happy overall, given the 9% discount and no price increase. Eurovans is a high turnover, commercial van operation, hence the ability to offer that price. Mike was personable and keen to please, but there is a lot to absorb on your own if you are a Newbie to this vehicle - so I was pleased I did my homework thanks to this forum, and to YouTubers California Chris and California Time.

A few days before arrival I asked that the tyres were checked as 235 (as ordered) and not 215 (see California Time video) and that the roof was left up over the week end to check for sag (I have since had to clear the autumn leaves, so they did as asked).

After a 45 minute handover, at least 50% on paperwork (as the order period exceeded 1 year and needed to be rerun) I took the Ocean away, to a local park Rusper Road Playing Field (with 2.1m barrier) and spent a few hours with my checklist (extracted from others posted here, I will add links below in case useful to anyone) forensically checking it all (£75k is a serious matter).

I found no build faults, but the following items were missing:

- First aid kit
- Triangle
- Jack
- Front cab loose magnetic blinds

I have later realised that the front door waste bin (brochure page 22) was missing as well.

Returning to Eurovans, Mike raided another new California (awaiting delivery two weeks hence) to give me the cab blinds, a first aid kit and jack (imagine what it would feel like to discover the jack missing in a lonely spot with a puncture) but he did not find a triangle for me in the donor car: at £9.99 in Halfords I am unconcerned about the latter, but I would have preferred a VW branded triangle in their red case.

Yesterday, I searched on EBay and found two brand new front door waste bins and bought them (£10 each plus postage).

I changed paint colour midway from Ascot Grey to Starlight Blue, and whilst the DVLA Registration was correctly made, Eurovans forget to correct this on the invoice at collection.

I have already spent the best part of two days in and out of the van exploring its features, and putting my bits in. I have checked the alignment of the drain below the gas cylinder, the function of the: fridge, auxiliary heater, water services, lower bed (California Chris newer video essential), among other things.

My previous car is a 2006 VW, and I had some catching up to do, but if others are in the same camp, We Connect and the infotainment system became easier to get to grips once I turned off both Bluetooth and WIFI connection, and restricted the connection to USB cable.

If I was to order another California I would go to Eurovans Crawley without hesitation, unless my local Ipswich VW Dealer could supply at similar terms (which they could not). But, as I say and as @PhilR says immediately above, it could be wise to check the vehicle and paperwork carefully without embarrassment - if necessary off site (the front area is 'rammed') but before leaving for good.

View attachment 101212
Hi, this is great information, thanks.

I've just ordered (from Mike at Eurovans) a new California Ocean 150 PS in Starlight blue and also the same wheels, so it's great to see what it looks like. Did you go for the blue roof bellows? I chose that as an option so hoping it looks good.

I've been given an estimated delivery date of March 2023, so not too long to wait.

He’s finally here! After over 14 months “Billy Ocean” is now at the dealers and looks pretty epic…

7821A71B-FFC1-40BB-8BCC-947164F6CBFF.jpeg

However, as some of you may have seen, sadly he’s not coming home with us. The trouble with waiting so long is it gives you lots of thinking time… and for various reasons we decided it wasn’t the right time for us to buy.

So if anyone is after a lovely white van, give Bristol Heritage a ring and ask to speak with Stephen (tell him the Davies’ sent you!). Although we were originally frustrated with the lack of updates from the dealer (which we now realise is mainly due to the factory), credit where it’s due, Stephen and his manager have been excellent through the cancellation process.

With that, I wish you all well with your forthcoming adventures and thank you for the guidance you’ve given us along the way. Take care :thumb

PS if anyone is looking for some brand new van accessories, check out our for sale post:

Hi, this is great information, thanks.

I've just ordered (from Mike at Eurovans) a new California Ocean 150 PS in Starlight blue and also the same wheels, so it's great to see what it looks like. Did you go for the blue roof bellows? I chose that as an option so hoping it looks good.

I've been given an estimated delivery date of March 2023, so not too long to wait.
Hell Michael,

I certainly am well pleased with the vehicle, and as my earlier post set out, I like both Mike and Eurovans.

Mike surprised me by asking for a copy of my, till then fairly covert, three page checklist (based on the forum's 2016 list, links above). Hopefully you will not have any missing items as I did.

No, I went for grey bellows, the blue and red coloured bellows are a little too bright for me - if you haven't you could perhaps check the blue in the flesh.

I think you could be surprised on delivery given the rapid build of some other recent orders, and I wish you well with it all.

Last edited:
He’s finally here! After over 14 months “Billy Ocean” is now at the dealers and looks pretty epic…

View attachment 101442

However, as some of you may have seen, sadly he’s not coming home with us. The trouble with waiting so long is it gives you lots of thinking time… and for various reasons we decided it wasn’t the right time for us to buy.

So if anyone is after a lovely white van, give Bristol Heritage a ring and ask to speak with Stephen (tell him the Davies’ sent you!). Although we were originally frustrated with the lack of updates from the dealer (which we now realise is mainly due to the factory), credit where it’s due, Stephen and his manager have been excellent through the cancellation process.

With that, I wish you all well with your forthcoming adventures and thank you for the guidance you’ve given us along the way. Take care :thumb

PS if anyone is looking for some brand new van accessories, check out our for sale post:
Hi spoke to you a couple of weeks back regarding price increases. Was just wondering if your dealer increased the price of your van when it became available after all? Thanks

Hi spoke to you a couple of weeks back regarding price increases. Was just wondering if your dealer increased the price of your van when it became available after all? Thanks
Hiya, our dealer had assured us we would pay the figure we agreed back in August 2021 :thumb

Back