Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

c48b98ed3eafcb61668552dd18d2c9cb.jpg

Turned up three weeks ago while we were on holiday, then the rail strikes, then family commitments! Finally picked it up today.

280 mile drive home to get used to it, I’m delighted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big fan of this colour - in real life it looks great.

Looking good!

I’m soon to write my own review on our new van. I’m glad you mentioned some of the points as I was wondering if it was just me!

Long hold for folding mirrors = strange indeed.

I’ll add to that the full closure long hold is also odd, as in windows down, press key to lock, keep holding for windows and mirrors to fold, then when the mirrors fold I take my finger off the button and the windows stop closing… why would anyone want that? It already caught me out twice in the first week.

Anyone any tips for this or it’s just how it is? I find in press once to lock, then press and hold for the mirrors, but then sometimes you unlock and the mirrors don’t go down so I press unlock again… on our old car we used the status of the mirrors to tell us if the car was locked or not. Not sure why this is like it is.

The lane assist is sadly rubbish, switched off, it keeps scaring everyone in the van with its false alarms.

The panicky bing bongs for the doors already makes me and my wife groan, especially as it’s going back from keyless entry and keyless start! I wonder if a good auto electrician can mute that.

The old handbrake is definitely dated, our first car with an automatic brake was a Renault in 2004… you’d think 16 years later VW would have caught up!

These are all just observations, we’re loving it and just had a week on the road and the van did a great job.
Mirrors - long press to fold (after lock) but they don't open again until you turn the ignition on.
Brakes - my Tiguan has auto hold and it's great - on this it just stops the ACC and ACC lane stop working properly.
Door Warning - only way is to remap with CARISTA (or other OBD devices) - have one on order, check out Wills video on California time. It's super simple/ Same for mirrors - you can programme them to close on lock rather than long press. Not sure if CARISTA does this yet though or if you need a more complex OBD mapper.
Lock Check - Have setup the WE VW app - works well for a check when you walk away and 5 mins later wonder if you locked or not.
Lane Assist - A massive shame as it could be great, and is on my Tiguan. I'll complain though - so far two warranty issues, this and the cooker side blackout screen has a habit of creeping back up!

Van packed and ready for first major day trip on Friday - coffee machine prepped, kettle folded and SUPs in the boot!

Last edited:
Big fan of this colour - in real life it looks great.

I am too, love the way it changes in different light. The van is better than I expected with the exception of the brakes which, too be fair, improved as the miles increased

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had an update from the dealer on my November 21 order for a Cherry Red Ocean. It is showing build week 33 w/c 15th August.

Looks great, when did it go into build and does it have a tow bar..?

I’m just trying to figure out why our June 21 order has been stuck in build since May 18th.
Cheers! Build date was Week 21 and it does have a towbar.

I have had an update from the dealer on my November 21 order for a Cherry Red Ocean. It is showing build week 33 w/c 15th August.
Nice! We’ve been told week 34 / September. I’ve read the factory closes for holiday in August, so I’m wondering if they don’t number the weeks the factory is closed.

Nice! We’ve been told week 34 / September. I’ve read the factory closes for holiday in August, so I’m wondering if they don’t number the weeks the factory is closed.
Would have thought VW use standard calendar weeks rather than their own numbering system. Does the factory shut for all of August or just a couple of weeks.

Would have thought VW use standard calendar weeks rather than their own numbering system. Does the factory shut for all of August or just a couple of weeks.

Normally I’d agree, but this is VW and they don’t appear to do anything logical ;) I’m not sure what actually happens regards the factory shutting down, I’ve just picked up on from a few posts here that there is a shut down at some point in August.

Has anyone else got a week 34 build week? Have you been told what date that is?

Normally I’d agree, but this is VW and they don’t appear to do anything logical ;) I’m not sure what actually happens regards the factory shutting down, I’ve just picked up on from a few posts here that there is a shut down at some point in August.

Has anyone else got a week 34 build week? Have you been told what date that is?
In the motor manufacture world week numbers are the actual week numbers of the year - 1 to 52. No numbers are skipped. Industry standard. Same for “factory fortnight” - the two weeks a year that the factory has a shutdown is pretty set, to allow the whole industry to shut down at the same time, OEM and suppliers and it’s usually around the end of July start of August. It does slip - so can commence at the end July or beginning of August, but is always around then. This period is vital as it’s used for upgrade works to production lines or to close and maintain all the machines that usually run on 24 hour shifts. All that said - in these times it is possible parts of factories will still run, but hard to say which and will depand on the german works council allowing them to go ahead or them not needing to do major upgrade or maintenance work. Just bank on a 2 week shutdown around the end of this month / during August.

In the motor manufacture world week numbers are the actual week numbers of the year - 1 to 52. No numbers are skipped. Industry standard. Same for “factory fortnight” - the two weeks a year that the factory has a shutdown is pretty set, to allow the whole industry to shut down at the same time, OEM and suppliers and it’s usually around the end of July start of August. It does slip - so can commence at the end July or beginning of August, but is always around then. This period is vital as it’s used for upgrade works to production lines or to close and maintain all the machines that usually run on 24 hour shifts. All that said - in these times it is possible parts of factories will still run, but hard to say which and will depand on the german works council allowing them to go ahead or them not needing to do major upgrade or maintenance work. Just bank on a 2 week shutdown around the end of this month / during August.
Thank you, that’s really helpful. Fingers crossed this means our van gets started on 22 August (all provisional of course, but better than the September / October we were last told).

Last edited:
This post goes out to those waiting patiently with their fingers crossed hoping for some good news on their Cali. So here’s my story. I ordered my California Ocean 204 back on 3rd November 21. I was given a 12 month lead time by the dealer at the time so I dug in for the long wait. As many have posted previously I’ve had absolutely zero communication from my dealership on my order and just the one glossy letter from VW saying it was all a bit hard back in March. I decided early on not to chase for status updates and let the order follow process. So what a surprise today when I took a call saying my Cali had arrived at the dealership!!! With an 8 month wait I know I have been lucky. VW also kept their price promise too. So good things will come to those who wait.

The panicky bing bongs for the doors already makes me and my wife groan, especially as it’s going back from keyless entry and keyless start! I wonder if a good auto electrician can mute that.
You can do it yourself with one of these Carista. @CaliforniaTime have a video.

The lane assist is sadly rubbish, switched off, it keeps scaring everyone in the van with its false alarms.
You may have a fault, mine works well nudging me into lane

But now it’s here it actually looks the part in white and I’m completely torn on weather or not to wrap it.
I agree it looks mint in white. I was really taken with the two tone at first, but like you couldn’t justify the price. I’m glad I didn’t now, I’m starting to see the 2 tone as a bit fussy

June 21 order was collected today, just simply love it. For all those waiting it is so worth the frustration……Let the adventures begin!

View attachment 95511

View attachment 95512

View attachment 95513

View attachment 95514
Ah, the lesser spotted Fortana Ocean! We’ve ordered this colour and it’s great to see an Ocean wearing it. Looks awesome. We keep looking out for one but it seems to be quite a rare colour. Not sure why as I think it suits the Cali nicely. Looks good with the black wheels too. Enjoy.

Ah, the lesser spotted Fortana Ocean! We’ve ordered this colour and it’s great to see an Ocean wearing it. Looks awesome. We keep looking out for one but it seems to be quite a rare colour. Not sure why as I think it suits the Cali nicely. Looks good with the black wheels too. Enjoy.
Like the Working From Home number plate :)

Had a call from Mike at Eurovans to let me know that my Ocean 204 with loads of extras has a confirmed build date of w/c 22 August and should be with me before the end of Sept Ordered end of Oct 2021. He also confirmed price rise won’t apply up to 30th Sept. I’m currently on holiday at Lake Annecy and in my excitement picked up a few items for my new van!

43A8EB6D-0271-4DE4-97CC-707920C15DCB.jpeg

Back