Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

03d6152fa85c81ba3e2a2e03c57d9d7c.jpg

Bit of a delayed post (too busy enjoying the van) but my June ‘21 ocean finally arrived a couple of weeks ago A couple of small trips away figuring everything out and Absolutely loving it so far. So much better than we even imagined

Wanted the two tone green and couldn’t justify the cost, so ordered in white with my mind set on getting a bottom half wrap. But now it’s here it actually looks the part in white and I’m completely torn on weather or not to wrap it. I can’t find an exact match either to the bay leaf Green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03d6152fa85c81ba3e2a2e03c57d9d7c.jpg

Bit of a delayed post (too busy enjoying the van) but my June ‘21 ocean finally arrived a couple of weeks ago A couple of small trips away figuring everything out and Absolutely loving it so far. So much better than we even imagined

Wanted the two tone green and couldn’t justify the cost, so ordered in white with my mind set on getting a bottom half wrap. But now it’s here it actually looks the part in white and I’m completely torn on weather or not to wrap it. I can’t find an exact match either to the bay leaf Green.

58150aadbe9639cc7a27ca4de7ea9f0e.jpg

The only other thing about waiting 12 months is the amount of time you get to change your mind and add option!

Added the outdoor shower connection, 18’ Palmerston alloys (look amazing with the two tone bay leaf) art velours and wood floor since ordering. All worthy upgrades I think but I have to say the interior of the van is stunning, especially the wood floor against the grey cupboards.

Hi all. So we took the plunge earlier in the year, threw caution to the wind, ignored the eye-watering price tag and ordered a T6.1 California a couple of weeks before lock-down from VW vans (Liverpool). Since then there have been a number of delays and further delays in the delivery date. Apparently VW (Germany) cannot give any firm build and delivery dates. It appears that when it is built it receives a chassis number and then its progress to the dealer can be tracked. We were originally given mid-May for delivery to the dealer which included 4 weeks from issue of chassis number to delivery to the dealer. Since then we have had several revisions to the predicted delivery date, the latest being end of July / beginning of August which is perilously close to the issue of new registrations on 1st September. Apparently the time from issue of chassis number to delivery to the dealer, 8 weeks is now being quoted not the previous 4 weeks. According to the dealer VW are not giving even any rough indications of build completions or delivery to dealer. Come on VW (Germany), where is the communication with the dealer and customer service here. It can't be that difficult to work out and convey this information. You are leaving customers in limbo and causing worry. The news may not be good but at least communicate it so people can plan / cancel camp sites or even cancel the order. After all by September 1st the season is nearly over. I wondered if anyone else is having similar experiences? Kind regards, David and Helen.
No better with Audi
Have a RS3 on order for 9 months and just informed it will be week 48 build
Told the dealer to register in
Jan 2003
Only plus point is a £5k saving on todays price
Keep on trucking x

After 13 months finally collected our Ocean from Liverpool, after waiting so long doesnt seem real yet. As far as we can tell no issues at all and over the moon with the Van. For a basic colour Ascot Grey is brilliant, looks totally different in different light.

Really enjoyed the drive home however I would say the suspension is probably my take away slight disappointment it wallows about a bit and a bit crashy on any bump, will think about an upgrade in the future.

For now solar install this weekend and working everything out before our first camping trip next week!! Can’t wait.
That was with an empty van. Try loading it up and taking for a run. Oh, and make sure the tyre pressures are correct according to the sticker on the drivers door.

Things may be improving, or I may have just got lucky:
Ordered October 1st 2021
Ocean 204 2-tone bay leaf, (no tow bar!, no 4-motion)
Build week 34 (4 weeks ago)
Arrived at the dealership yesterday
Collecting on Saturday morning.

9 months from order to delivery.

There is hope.

Ordered October 1st 2021

There is hope.
I feel for the people that ordered around June and still don’t have anything to show for it

Ordered October 1st 2021

There is hope.
Congratulations but I'm very confused, and not just how you got yours in 9 months when I'm still waiting for mine ordered exactly 12 months ago today.

Week 34 is w/c 22nd August, 4 weeks ago was week 22, do you mean you were told 4 weeks ago your build week would be 34 and it's arrived out of the blue?

Congratulations but I'm very confused, and not just how you got yours in 9 months when I'm still waiting for mine ordered exactly 12 months ago today.

Week 34 is w/c 22nd August, 4 weeks ago was week 22, do you mean you were told 4 weeks ago your build week would be 34 and it's arrived out of the blue?
Could be worse. You could be me and waiting 21 months (if I'm lucky).

Sorry - week 22 - no idea how I got 34

Ordered October 1st 2021

There is hope.
I had no intention to make people feel bad about their delays. Sorry, I was hoping to tell a good news story. I hope everyone gets some good news soon. The delays are confusing and the way in which VW are managing their backlog is baffling. The lack of communication is the most critical failure in my mind.

I had no intention to make people feel bad about their delays. Sorry, I was hoping to tell a good news story. I hope everyone gets some good news soon. The delays are confusing and the way in which VW are managing their backlog is baffling. The lack of communication is the most critical failure in my mind.
I hope my response didn’t come across to make you think that, it wasn’t my intention. Yours is good news and definitely to be shared. I only meant to sympathise with those that have been waiting a ridiculously long time with no logic to the build orders. I, like you, am one of the lucky ones.

Perfectly within your rights to shout from the rooftops about the great news! Enjoy it when it comes - our July 21 order is here and we pickup tomorrow, so equally as chuffed. There are a zillion good and bad reasons why different orders move at different speeds.

It's good to hear good news, if only to give those of us still waiting some hope things are moving. It also gives everyone some information which as, as you rightly say, VW are absolutely hopeless at providing.

I can understand there's a lot of stuff happening in the world to cause delays atm, but none of it is preventing VW from sending their customers or dealers an email.

Anyway, seeing as I can't look at the real thing yet, lets see some pics of yours on Saturday please :D

We deleted the 5th seat from our order after trying to lift one in the showroom at the club shop. I couldn’t lift it off the shop floor so had no idea how I’d get it in/out of the van without ripping the floor covering. Shame, as we wanted to be able to travel with our 3 grandkids.
I find the knack is to align the seat feet with the holes in the rails. Tilt the seat forward on the front feet and insert an old car mat under the rear feet. This then allows you to tilt the seat on the rear feet that are on the matt and you can then rotate the seat without scratching or marking the van floor.

Really chuffed to hear of a number of people taking delivery of their new vans around now. It feels like a log jam is breaking in Germany. When you do have your pride and joy sitting on the drive, don’t forget pics, and to apply your Cali Club sticker - I always look out for that when I see a Cali on our travels !

It's good to hear good news, if only to give those of us still waiting some hope things are moving. It also gives everyone some information which as, as you rightly say, VW are absolutely hopeless at providing.

I can understand there's a lot of stuff happening in the world to cause delays atm, but none of it is preventing VW from sending their customers or dealers an email.

Anyway, seeing as I can't look at the real thing yet, lets see some pics of yours on Saturday please :D
Just try and stop me. Pictures will be be proof that they do turn up.

More details and pictures when you do it/when it’s done would be great if poss?
I will certainly try, will be fitting tomorrow, had a nose around in the back of the cupboard last night, looks like an easy Job.

Congratulations on the new van! Are you doing the solar bits yourself or taking it somewhere? I’m near to Liverpool so I’m interested in any installers nearby.
I would have offered to help you with it but I am no near Liverpool (just collected the van from there), its not a difficult job, I will feed back tomorrow after I do the install let you know how it goes.

I would have offered to help you with it but I am no near Liverpool (just collected the van from there), its not a difficult job, I will feed back tomorrow after I do the install let you know how it goes.
Thanks - that’s really helpful.

My June ‘21 Ocean 4M order is now sitting at Emden, status 38. Finally it’s starting to feel real.
She’s made it to Blighty - sitting at Sheerness so should be with SMG early next week. The accessory buying is underway . Three vehicle carriers into Sheerness from Emden this week so hopefully there will be some more happy Cali owners soon .

Well. The day arrived and thanks to all for the chat, advice and replies. Picked up today from the brilliant David Marney at Eurovans in Crawley (the home of the Cures Robert Smith) 11 "short" months after ordering. Great chap to do business with and all round top experience.

Mafalda, our Cali, had her first trip around the M25 on a Friday, which was not fun, but as soon as we escaped the jams and opened her up the 204 engine showed its force and was definitely the right choice (for us). Inside was immaculate and thoroughly inspected before I drove away. No major issues and everyhing present and correct. Some rust spots on the frame of the rock n roll bed to keep an eye on and odd tape in the pop top to hide two sharp edges. The lack of a autobrake remains baffling on this car vs the handbrake and while the side assist wing mirror lights work fine the road marking detection for lane assist is and we turned it off very quickly after it complained we were driving down the middle of the road. This was the same as it was last year on our hire van. ACC works fine though not as well as my Tiguan though due to lack of autobrake and creep. The lane assist also works perfectly on the Tiggy.

The wood flooring is fabulous, wheels deliscious and the colour really makes the van pop - 100% happy. Phew. The bing bongs already annoying when the door open and the strange long press to close mirrors odd - OBD device on order. Any question - just ask and let the adventures of Mafi begin...

ps - Obligatory photos below, beep if you see us on the road. And yes, we are dressed the same and no, it was not deliberate

MafiBack.jpgMafiBoth.jpgMafiFront.jpgMafiHoodUp.jpgMafiInside.jpgMafiOutside.jpgDriving.jpeg

Last edited:
Back