Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

June 21 order, just informed that van goes into build next week (27). Good to hear of new arrivals tho puzzling the order in which they arrive compared to order date!!
onwards and upwards, hopefully in august, but if towards end of august , is it worth waiting for new reg ? Would think vw will want to register soon as.

I was hoping to see my name on this Pure Grey Coast Edition but my eyesight isn't that good. For those still waiting, keep the faith....

Coast.jpg

Just had an email from VW to say my June 30th 2021 order has gone into production. Not sure what to make of this but hopefully means dealer will finally be able to see some kind of update other than status 20 week 20 (and assumed to be in the factory somewhere since).

@couplands - anything for you?

Just had an email from VW to say my June 30th 2021 order has gone into production. Not sure what to make of this but hopefully means dealer will finally be able to see some kind of update other than status 20 week 20 (and assumed to be in the factory somewhere since).

@couplands - anything for you?
Not a sausage, I’m due to have my monthly update checkin tomorrow so will see if anything has progressed. Last I heard it was still stuck in build waiting for something…;-(

Hi dspuk
Congratulations! We collect ours from David at Eurovans this Wednesday. Ours is a white 204bhp with sports trim. We actually saw you as you were about to drive off. We were in the showroom to see David and sort out our collection for this week.
Enjoy Mafi and we’ll definitely beep if we see you!

Hi dspuk
Congratulations! We collect ours from David at Eurovans this Wednesday. Ours is a white 204bhp with sports trim. We actually saw you as you were about to drive off. We were in the showroom to see David and sort out our collection for this week.
Enjoy Mafi and we’ll definitely beep if we see you!
Enjoy and make sure to take a large credit card to fill up! We found the station super easy to get to from London and literally being 2 minutes from the platform was a bonus. After a "soft" weekend we have Penhale booked in a fortnight and a few day trips coming up. We found it worthwhile to get the extra 2 years warranty there and then so worth thinking about and already have the two years servicing. Probably extend that when the offers come through as well. So far the only "issue" was the lane assist, but Dave rang this morning to check all ok and when we have a small collection of warranty issues we'll go get them all done at once. Still a garage full of "stuff" to put into the van and we looking to spend nights this week sorting day or stay boxes. First thing in though is the home made blanket and Mafi cushion with the excellent camper van carpets purchase.
IMG_0649.jpg

Last edited:
I can imagine the fuel bill will be high! We have taken out the gap insurance, extended warranty and service package. I’ve already bought some blankets and have cushions. I like your carpets, where are they from? I have a large collection of boxes and bags of different sizes ready to put ‘stuff’ into! We’re still shopping!
I can imagine we’ll probably have some warranty issues too. Not too worried as long as they get sorted!
We’re off to Norfolk for 5 days next Thursday and then we go to Devon on the 21st July for Chagstock festival. I expect we’ll go to France soon. Your trip sounds perfect.

Looks lovely in colour with the sports pack, good spec
I can imagine the fuel bill will be high! We have taken out the gap insurance, extended warranty and service package. I’ve already bought some blankets and have cushions. I like your carpets, where are they from? I have a large collection of boxes and bags of different sizes ready to put ‘stuff’ into! We’re still shopping!
I can imagine we’ll probably have some warranty issues too. Not too worried as long as they get sorted!
We’re off to Norfolk for 5 days next Thursday and then we go to Devon on the 21st July for Chagstock festival. I expect we’ll go to France soon. Your trip sounds perfect.

I forgot to say our new Cali will be called Teabus. It’s a long story as to how that name came about!

Campervancarpets - they always look out of stock online but they just build to order - you can choose your own logo too which is cool. They slide over each other to allow room for the seat to move forward. Great service and supporting UK manufacturing.

I never buy GAP, I find for me it does not make sense, but sure each individuals circumstances different.

Same on warranty - with a 5 year one and a complex Camper, it is what it is, within reason!

After my monthly checkin with Liverpool Van Centre, I can report no further progress on our June 21 Ocean order…;-(

All they can tell me is it’s still in build (started May 18th). I assume it’s waiting for parts but they have no idea what.

Great….

After my monthly checkin with Liverpool Van Centre, I can report no further progress on our June 21 Ocean order…;-(

All they can tell me is it’s still in build (started May 18th). I assume it’s waiting for parts but they have no idea what.

Great….
I've yet to have a reply from my dealer to the two emails I sent last Tuesday and the one before.

Assuming nothing appears in the next few hours, I'll chase them again tonight given I have some "new" information in the form of an email from VW saying it's in production.

Great….
Chatted with California Chris at Camperjam and he suggested that people are being advised to remove standard features to speed up production of their California !!! For example Side Assist. Not sure I’d want to do that if I was waiting for a van.

Chatted with California Chris at Camperjam and he suggested that people are being advised to remove standard features to speed up production of their California !!! For example Side Assist. Not sure I’d want to do that if I was waiting for a van.
That was mentioned a while back for some customers, but not on ours. It seems to have gone away as a suggestion lately.

Tow bars were the regular restricted item, but again no recent info.

That was mentioned a while back for some customers, but not on ours. It seems to have gone away as a suggestion lately.

Tow bars were the regular restricted item, but again no recent info.
Yes, I think that perhaps component shortages is an ever changing situation. Tow Bars one month, Side Assist the next. Pot luck really.

We were asked if we’d like to remove side assist from our August 21 order, said no thanks, and now have a provisional build week of 34. At the time we were advised by removing side assist it could bring us forward to a possible build week in July but if we kept it, the build week was likely to be September / October time. That said, our dealer did say others in the same position had suddenly turned up quicker than expected, so our fingers are still crossed we may see it earlier though I understand the factory closes for x number of weeks in August.

Well. The day arrived and thanks to all for the chat, advice and replies. Picked up today from the brilliant David Marney at Eurovans in Crawley (the home of the Cures Robert Smith) 11 "short" months after ordering. Great chap to do business with and all round top experience.

Mafalda, our Cali, had her first trip around the M25 on a Friday, which was not fun, but as soon as we escaped the jams and opened her up the 204 engine showed its force and was definitely the right choice (for us). Inside was immaculate and thoroughly inspected before I drove away. No major issues and everyhing present and correct. Some rust spots on the frame of the rock n roll bed to keep an eye on and odd tape in the pop top to hide two sharp edges. The lack of a autobrake remains baffling on this car vs the handbrake and while the side assist wing mirror lights work fine the road marking detection for lane assist is and we turned it off very quickly after it complained we were driving down the middle of the road. This was the same as it was last year on our hire van. ACC works fine though not as well as my Tiguan though due to lack of autobrake and creep. The lane assist also works perfectly on the Tiggy.

The wood flooring is fabulous, wheels deliscious and the colour really makes the van pop - 100% happy. Phew. The bing bongs already annoying when the door open and the strange long press to close mirrors odd - OBD device on order. Any question - just ask and let the adventures of Mafi begin...

ps - Obligatory photos below, beep if you see us on the road. And yes, we are dressed the same and no, it was not deliberate

View attachment 95426View attachment 95427View attachment 95428View attachment 95429View attachment 95430View attachment 95431View attachment 95432
Looking good!

I’m soon to write my own review on our new van. I’m glad you mentioned some of the points as I was wondering if it was just me!

Long hold for folding mirrors = strange indeed.

I’ll add to that the full closure long hold is also odd, as in windows down, press key to lock, keep holding for windows and mirrors to fold, then when the mirrors fold I take my finger off the button and the windows stop closing… why would anyone want that? It already caught me out twice in the first week.

Anyone any tips for this or it’s just how it is? I find in press once to lock, then press and hold for the mirrors, but then sometimes you unlock and the mirrors don’t go down so I press unlock again… on our old car we used the status of the mirrors to tell us if the car was locked or not. Not sure why this is like it is.

The lane assist is sadly rubbish, switched off, it keeps scaring everyone in the van with its false alarms.

The panicky bing bongs for the doors already makes me and my wife groan, especially as it’s going back from keyless entry and keyless start! I wonder if a good auto electrician can mute that.

The old handbrake is definitely dated, our first car with an automatic brake was a Renault in 2004… you’d think 16 years later VW would have caught up!

These are all just observations, we’re loving it and just had a week on the road and the van did a great job.

c48b98ed3eafcb61668552dd18d2c9cb.jpg

Turned up three weeks ago while we were on holiday, then the rail strikes, then family commitments! Finally picked it up today.

280 mile drive home to get used to it, I’m delighted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back