Making a cuppa in a Beach?

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear Cali Gurus,

One thing i have noticed with the Ocean or Beach threads is Ocean owners usually say, "well nothing beats pulling over and making a nice cuppa!" which is a fair point as most people like a cuppa after along drive.

So my question is, how to you beach owners make a nice cuppa, what equipment do you use and where do you store it all?

Although ours has a stove, if we’re out for the day, or have been on a site with hook up, we always take hot water in a (glass) insulated teapot and a flask. The teapot is good up to lunchtime when we drop a couple of tea bags in it; and the flask is hot enough for coffee later. So it’s not often we use the stove.

Sometimes if we are in a car we miss being able to brew up, so we take a bag with a spirit stove and tea/coffee making stuff.

What about milk, how do you keep that cool?

Five options:
1. Kettle on gas stove
2. Kettle on gas BBQ
3. Thermos
4. Kettle on 600 watt hob (hookup required)
5. 12 volt kettle (takes 45-60 minutes to boil)

Milk is in the fridge.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Usually take some in a small plastic bottle (ex sparkling water). Stick it in an insulated bag with a small freezer pack.

We also keep some of those small milk containers you get in cafes and hotels, just in case.

I should imagine most Beach owners will be organised with some sort of stove and stuff for a brew.

Why have a campervan (Ocean) and not use the cooker? I cook all meals in the van otherwise why have a camper. Fridge keeps everything fresh and in bad weather in the van snug and content to survive the elements. Would hotels and B&B not be better if not using van for its true purpose of being independent.:Iamsorry

I think I see where this where this threads heading..... let battle commence (again)!

Why have a campervan (Ocean) and not use the cooker? I cook all meals in the van otherwise why have a camper. Fridge keeps everything fresh and in bad weather in the van snug and content to survive the elements. Would hotels and B&B not be better if not using van for its true purpose of being independent.:Iamsorry
Well, we're only talking about having a brew, and we don't just our Cali for camping, we use it as a day van as well. Pointless putting the fridge on just to cool a small amount of milk. And why use the gas if you can boil the kettle at home before you leave?

Even as a day van, we do use the cooker sometimes to do a toasted sandwich in the Ridge Monkey. The facility is there if we want it! Sometimes if Mrs M is at the shops deciding which shoes to buy, I can boil a kettle ad hoc while I'm waiting.

If we're camping we use the cooker like anyone else would.

I have plans to test it against a variety of different stoves with the same amount of water. I think you may be surprised, it's far quicker than the large ring on the smev unit on my slidepod and a kettle... about 90 seconds for 0.8l, if I had a stove permanent in the van I probably wouldn't have this though.

All sounds good,thank you. Yes, i have seen them jetboils, they look good but wasnt too sure if it would fit in the drawer (getting a 2 seat version). Cold Milk in thermos, great idea :thumb

What fridge do you use @Amarillo

Fair enough but this is a question for Beach owners ;-)

24593394-4555-4ABD-8CEE-5D28481F5217.jpeg
All sounds good,thank you. Yes, i have seen them jetboils, they look good but wasnt too sure if it would fit in the drawer (getting a 2 seat version). Cold Milk in thermos, great idea :thumb

What fridge do you use @Amarillo
We have a 2 seater beach and keep a small kettle and small gas cooker in the drawer under seat and have a fridge that is left in all the time for milk and a small table that is there all the time too. Tea or coffee any time

View attachment 36332
We have a 2 seater beach and keep a small kettle and small gas cooker in the drawer under seat and have a fridge that is left in all the time for milk and a small table that is there all the time too. Tea or coffee any time

Thays all i want right there @BeachyBird A table for a cuppa!! What fridge do you use?

Do you rate them jetboils, they do look grrat from youtube etc?

Thays all i want right there @BeachyBird A table for a cuppa!! What fridge do you use?
The table is left there all the time it’s great for making tea in the morning we use an electric kettle if on hookup and all works perfectly with the downstairs bed made up as we sleep downstairs ..tea in bed

Do you rate them jetboils, they do look grrat from youtube etc?
I think they are really handy as an addition to a cartridge gas stove. I only use mine for boiling water in ~2min. Haven't tried it with pots but I don't think that's how it was really designed to be used.

Jetboil is a great bit of kit and in answer to an earlier question it does fit in the under seat drawer.

Jetboil is a great bit of kit and in answer to an earlier question it does fit in the under seat drawer.
Great, might treat myself to a jet boil then!

Back