Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I’m Absolutely gutted.

So if you don’t take it to the “Experts” then who do you take it to for a simple spray job? How do you get FVWSH if you don’t take it to VW?
You Expect that they know how to operate the roof, it’s hardly rocket science.

FVWSH will make no difference to the future value of the van.

My previous van went to Volkswagen 3 times with the roof corrosion fix. I gave up after the third visit and sold it on. Each visit it came back with a new issue to the roof and sub-standard work.

On another occasion, separate from the roof corrosion repair. The main dealer didn't secure the buckles on the manual roof. I only realised once i hit about 60 mph on the motorway and had to quickly pull over to the hard shoulder...

I lost all faith in Volkswagen over the years, hence why i slate them and their mechanics...

Are there?

Sinclair's in Gorseinon don't have the best reputation, putting it mildly.

Have you a picture of the dent?

It might push out easily and you could use tear aid for the bellows.

Update... Had meeting with the Manager.He Agreed to fit new bellows and sort the dents out.
Jokingly I asked if I could have the new Panoramic bellows and he said he would look to see if they were the same fit as the original because when they order parts it’s done by Chassis number but he would do his best.
Never went in with all guns blazing just had a nice chat. I’ve known him for about 8 years.
I have to admit I didn’t think it would be that straightforward.
I imagine the problem occurred when the paintwork was finished was someone who was not knowledgable with the California was told to put the roof down and take the vehicle out of the workshop which he did with dire consequences.

FVWSH will make no difference to the future value of the van.

My previous van went to Volkswagen 3 times with the roof corrosion fix. I gave up after the third visit and sold it on. Each visit it came back with a new issue to the roof and sub-standard work.

On another occasion, separate from the roof corrosion repair. The main dealer didn't secure the buckles on the manual roof. I only realised once i hit about 60 mph on the motorway and had to quickly pull over to the hard shoulder...

I lost all faith in Volkswagen over the years, hence why i slate them and their mechanics...
So who exactly services your VW?

Update... Had meeting with the Manager.He Agreed to fit new bellows and sort the dents out.
Jokingly I asked if I could have the new Panoramic bellows and he said he would look to see if they were the same fit as the original because when they order parts it’s done by Chassis number but he would do his best.
Never went in with all guns blazing just had a nice chat. I’ve known him for about 8 years.
I have to admit I didn’t think it would be that straightforward.
I imagine the problem occurred when the paintwork was finished was someone who was not knowledgable with the California was told to put the roof down and take the vehicle out of the workshop which he did with dire consequences.

At least you seem to have a sensible resolution.

Oh Pete, how awful :(

How on Earth do "they", so many "expert" dealers, continue to make so many silly but costly mistakes, and again, no recognition that this is someones pride and joy, not a builders van?

I do hope it's sorted amicably and professionally.

Jen x
My 'builders van' is what has helped us save long and hard for our soon to be delivered Ocean.... I value that as much as I will our Cali and would expect it to be treated with the same professionalism. Just saying‍♂️

Very recognizable. The problem is whatever your cali went in for, you have to check everything ,even parts they are not supposed to have touched during service. I take pictures of cali before taking it to workshop.

Years ago, my old T4 syncro broke down in Tescos (swansea). The AA came and after a brief inspection they couldn't fix it, so they very kindly took my wife home with all the shopping she had just bought, and then arranged for RELAY to take the van to Sinclairs Gorseinon.
Having fixed the engine problem I went and picked it up from Sincairs and took it home. It was later I discovered a really nasty damage to the drivers door - right on the crease, no hope of getting it repaired... !!!!

I then looked at the inspection report to find this damage had been included on the AA report prior to the relay pick-up. I knew the damage wasn't there before, so I wrote a stinking letter to the AA with photos and a copy of their report... and I waited with baited breath for the response.

When I did get the reply, it was a very nice but firm letter stating that they were not at fault and pointing out that their report had been altered (you could tell by the hand writing and pen ink).

So, it was Sinclairs who had done the damage and covered up their tracks ... !!!!

By this time so much time had passed and I was really busy growing a business and family that I never approached Sinclairs about this........ so they got away with it. I realised that the only way this damage could have occurred was if someone had opened a white van door into mine - an obvious hazard in their overcrowded carpark.

I avoid Sinclairs at all cost because of this. I bought my Cali from Hereford (i.e. anywhere but Sinclairs) and I drive it there for service rather than give Sinclairs my business. When I buy my next Cali, it also won't be from Sinclairs either.

Q ? Am I bitter and twisted and holding a grudge too long ??...... I sometimes wonder

Q ? Am I bitter and twisted and holding a grudge too long ??...... I sometimes wondern
Nope, not at all. Those kind of companies should be avoided and publicly ashamed.

Funny thing is they lost more money, from you and other potential customers reading horror stories like this, than they gained not doing the right thing.

And honestly those kind of dealers are bad for VW public image, I can't believe supposedly nothing is done in this regard..

Years ago, my old T4 syncro broke down in Tescos (swansea). The AA came and after a brief inspection they couldn't fix it, so they very kindly took my wife home with all the shopping she had just bought, and then arranged for RELAY to take the van to Sinclairs Gorseinon.
Having fixed the engine problem I went and picked it up from Sincairs and took it home. It was later I discovered a really nasty damage to the drivers door - right on the crease, no hope of getting it repaired... !!!!

I then looked at the inspection report to find this damage had been included on the AA report prior to the relay pick-up. I knew the damage wasn't there before, so I wrote a stinking letter to the AA with photos and a copy of their report... and I waited with baited breath for the response.

When I did get the reply, it was a very nice but firm letter stating that they were not at fault and pointing out that their report had been altered (you could tell by the hand writing and pen ink).

So, it was Sinclairs who had done the damage and covered up their tracks ... !!!!

By this time so much time had passed and I was really busy growing a business and family that I never approached Sinclairs about this........ so they got away with it. I realised that the only way this damage could have occurred was if someone had opened a white van door into mine - an obvious hazard in their overcrowded carpark.

I avoid Sinclairs at all cost because of this. I bought my Cali from Hereford (i.e. anywhere but Sinclairs) and I drive it there for service rather than give Sinclairs my business. When I buy my next Cali, it also won't be from Sinclairs either.

Q ? Am I bitter and twisted and holding a grudge too long ??...... I sometimes wonder
South Hereford - Yes , Sinclairs - No

Very recognizable. The problem is whatever your cali went in for, you have to check everything ,even parts they are not supposed to have touched during service. I take pictures of cali before taking it to workshop.
During the terrible storms that happened at the start of this year we got some damage to our car when a ridge tile flew off the roof and landed on the rear spoiler. The insurance company told us to take it to FRF in Swansea. Every single time we took it there they did a FULL video of the outside and inside of the vehicle so there could be no dispute as to any extra damage done by them . Every garage and repair shop should do this to avoid problems later on. It takes 5 minutes so why wouldn’t you.

I made the mistake of forgetting to say “please don’t wash“ when I dropped mine off for a service. No damage but it was a mess. Obviously saving water !

I asked if I could have the new Panoramic bellows and he said he would look to see if they were the same fit as the original because when they order parts it’s done by Chassis number but he would do his best.
The T6 panoramic bellows are the same fit as the T5 bellows.

I had mine replaced in that manner after a garage tore my original bellows in a similar way to yours.

Not all T5 are the same as T6 early ones are different, I’m not sure of the date of the change.
The hinges were different & the hight of the roof when raised is quite a bit different.
I seem to remember the easy visual difference was that the flat bottom of the side windows was parallel withe the roof top on early ones and parallel with the ground on later ones.

No, you are dealing with reality, which has become a concept in danger of extinction.

I often read people here talk about the good VW warranties.
The problem with a VW warranty is that the work will be done by VW garages. And VW service engineers are routinely exposed as a bunch of clueless chumps.
There is an odd disconnect there.

I often read people here talk about the good VW warranties.
The problem with a VW warranty is that the work will be done by VW garages. And VW service engineers are routinely exposed as a bunch of clueless chumps.
There is an odd disconnect there.

& the a long lead time means that if you have a serious issue, you lose some of the term if your van is off the road for a while. It would be fairer if they extended the term by the duration that your van was waiting / being repaired, or , give you a loan Cali to use….otherwise you lose out.

I had mine replaced in that manner after a garage tore my original bellows in a similar way to yours.
Ok thanks for letting me know. I’m wondering if the old bellows have been superseded by the panoramic ones. Obviously the different models of van have differing amounts of Zip up windows. I noticed that on some beach models they don’t have a front window at all. Especially continental models.

Recently come back from 3 lovely weeks away in France and Spain.
We had booked our van into Sinclairs Gorseinon to have some work done on the Front roof panel which was beginning to blister. Had a price and date for the work which was the day after we came home.
The ferry was late into Portsmouth with “Engine trouble” so we didn’t get home till late on Tuesday night of the 27th September. However we managed to mainly clear the van to take into Sinclairs Wednesday Lunchtime.
We had a “Courtesy call” to say the van would be ready the end of the following week.
It wasn’t, but Monday we got a call to say it was ready and arranged to pick it up Tuesday morning.
Got to Sinclairs and the van was sitting outside their office very wet as it had been raining that night. Had a look the best I could but couldn’t see the finished work.

Drove home and by that time the van had dried of lovely and could see they had done a nice job of the paintwork.

Got to work giving the inside a good clean and everything was looking great.

Later on driving our car back from local shopping I noticed something not right with the roof line. There was a dent half way down the roof. I then lifted the roof and to my horror there was a dent on the other side of the roof as well. Not only that there was a big tear in the bellows one side and a small tear the other.
Got straight on the phone to tell Sinclairs that I would be down straight away.
All I had was a load of bluster, and was told “It’s not unusual to have 2 dents in the roof”

Since then I have contacted the General manager and have an appointment with him at 2pm.
It’s obvious to Sinclairs and myself what has happened, and someone totally inexperienced has lowered the roof with the doors and windows closed.

This is going to be a very costly mistake for Sinclairs.
My 2015 California had a recall for corrosion to my electric opening roof. I booked it in, although surprised that it would take 14 days.
Then whilst waiting for a service (main dealer near Portsmouth), I talked to another California Owner. He was furious. His went to 'experts' in the West Country for 14 days. When it came back the opening mechanism did not work. It went back for another 14 days. This time they had forgotten to fit the rubber edging strips. The main dealer decided to put this right themselves and did a good job. However, he said the opening mechanism was never the same. So I cancelled the booking, sanded and made a small repair myself. Not perfect but better than being messed about by 'experts'. My opening roof remains great !

Our van is going in for a service soon. Based on this horrendous experience I’ll be writing up a sign for the dash.
If a van goes in for a service, do they need to operate the roof at all? Is that part of a service?

Back