Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Replacement Part

W

Weirsmonty

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

I have just had my canvas replaced on my 2010 Cali by Kernow Transporters and I have to say I'm over the moon with it. But while I was there we got chatting about the corrosion at the front of the roof and I said it needs looking at. Richard said that VW make a plastic replacement part for this. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with replacing the roof with the plastic part from VW. Richard does do this but I had gone to see him from West Sussex and he is in Cornwall and I had only just found out he can do it.
Thanks

This is a well known issue, have a long, long read of this thread ...

Thread 'VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-california-t5-only-roof-corrosion-general-discussion.9000/

My 2010 Cali had the corrosion of the front cowl cut out and the plastic cowl fitted by the previous owner. It was fine when I purchased it but eventually the mastic holding the new cowl on cracked and leaked in the rain so I talked to VW last year and they agreed to a full removal and new plastic cowl with new 'advanced' sealant free of charge and so far all is well BUT if I had the original aluminium roof with corrosion I would take it to a classic car repairer for a proper aluminium repair even if it had to be done every 5 years then there is no chance of sealant leaks.

I have a few blisters but would never get the plastic cover.

Hi All,

I have just had my canvas replaced on my 2010 Cali by Kernow Transporters and I have to say I'm over the moon with it. But while I was there we got chatting about the corrosion at the front of the roof and I said it needs looking at. Richard said that VW make a plastic replacement part for this. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with replacing the roof with the plastic part from VW. Richard does do this but I had gone to see him from West Sussex and he is in Cornwall and I had only just found out he can do it.
Thanks
Don't do it.
As @KGCali has said.

Thanks for all your help. Looking back I remember some paperwork coming with the van about the roof corrosion so I will check that out to see what was done. Thanks again

To expand on WG comment. (forgive me if I have this wrong, but I don’t think so, maybe @WelshGas would be kind enough to confirm accordingly)

The General consensus, built up over many years and reported by many, is that remedial measures: Purely for cosmetic reasons:
A) take an inordinate time for the appointed contractor to carry out (years waiting), loss of vehicle for extended periods whilst the works are carried out.

B) VW pretty much wash their hands of remedial measures carried out by third parties ( despite the third parties being appointed by VW & carry out the repair to VW spec) . VW pass the risk of repeat repair onto the third party (nice ! ) who naturally resist further repairs and associated cost to their business, which ensure the customer is trapped in a conflict of interest loop with VW and the third party repairer co !

C) Some Third party contractors,whom used to carry out repairs, now decline to carry out warranty work to roofs ! (you have to ask why / see B above)

D) many customers who have had remedial works Carried out have subsequently experienced problems; either corrosion returning, water ingress into the vehicle, paint problems, damage from original remedial measures etc. etc.

E) the remedial repairs carried out vary from time to time, presumably because the “fix” can introduce further issues!

F) general dissatisfaction by those who have had historic remedial works carried out.

Plenty of detail on this forum with disgruntled customers and reoccurring problems further down the line

Agree. If its lasted 10 yrs, just get a good body firm to treat and respray for circa £500 and repeat in 10 yrs.

To expand on WG comment. (forgive me if I have this wrong, but I don’t think so, maybe @WelshGas would be kind enough to confirm accordingly)

The General consensus, built up over many years and reported by many, is that remedial measures: Purely for cosmetic reasons:
A) take an inordinate time for the appointed contractor to carry out (years waiting), loss of vehicle for extended periods whilst the works are carried out.

B) VW pretty much wash their hands of remedial measures carried out by third parties ( despite the third parties being appointed by VW & carry out the repair to VW spec) . VW pass the risk of repeat repair onto the third party (nice ! ) who naturally resist further repairs and associated cost to their business, which ensure the customer is trapped in a conflict of interest loop with VW and the third party repairer co !

C) Some Third party contractors,whom used to carry out repairs, now decline to carry out warranty work to roofs ! (you have to ask why / see B above)

D) many customers who have had remedial works Carried out have subsequently experienced problems; either corrosion returning, water ingress into the vehicle, paint problems, damage from original remedial measures etc. etc.

E) the remedial repairs carried out vary from time to time, presumably because the “fix” can introduce further issues!

F) general dissatisfaction by those who have had historic remedial works carried out.

Plenty of detail on this forum with disgruntled customers and reoccurring problems further down the line
good old VW, no root cause fix in over 10years of production.

good old VW, no root cause fix in over 10years of production.
Not quit. The problem with the body panel corrosion above the windscreen was apparently fixed MY2015 onwards.

Not quit. The problem with the body panel corrosion above the windscreen was apparently fixed MY2015 onwards.
well thats something, hoping the T6 will prove to be better.

Back