Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali roof nightmare

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Just reading a story in latest VWbus 4/5+ magazine about a journalist who had a loan of a Cali from VW to test and write about....at end of a surfing weekend when lowering the roof there was a loud BANG followed by a large chunk of plastic just missing the head of the mate watching it go down! Apparently one of the plastic runners mating the hydraulics to the roof had sheared leaving the pop top hanging!
They had to manually lower the roof using the screw hiding behind the console ... not an easy thing as I know myself! VW investigated and explained it away as either a previous user had put too much weight on the roof (it has roof bars) or possibly a stress fracture in the plastic!
Hmmmm .....
He still gives the Cali a great write up however...and the whole piece is a good read!

I also read that David, was horrified at the photo of the metal stepladder leaning against the side of the Cali :shocked but not his van !
Ron.

I did not notice that :eek:
as you say..not his!

We've had our Cali roof completely replaced last year after it failed to come down. had an epic. Also had a drama with the inside driver side trim around the top. All coming away! Now its the rust at the top of the windscreen!

Still love it!