Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wet roof

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Had a big party at home yesterday (35 people!) and had the roof up to show people the van properly. It got rather wet and is still up.

How bad is putting the roof down wet? Will the van rot, then blow up? Will be all catch some mysterious illness from a new form of VW bacteria? Will we in fact all die horribly? ;)

Anyone had any issues from putting down a damp roof? Can't see the rain stopping for a while!

Not that I know of. Why don't you try it and let us know....?

Californiaman said:
Not that I know of. Why don't you try it and let us know....?

It's called being a paranoid, over cautious noob! :oops: :lol:

Kernowlad, you'll be fine as long as you use the following equipment. :D

MOD_Police_CBRN_Officer_on_range.jpg

The gun is just in case there are alien life forms ;)

In all seriousness though guys...

No major issue putting it down wet, be conscious though the wet will go through onto the mattress... If it's very wet I'd consider taking it out.

If it's the first time it's been really wet, it will be damper than in future... The cotton actually tightens and become more water resistant (it's not water proof - just like any tent) once it has been soaked and dried.

Equally make sure you put it back up to dry as soon as you can or mould can set in.

Rgds

Mark

Sky - looks ideal! Done a bit of Army and Police training stuff too... ;)

Simply - cheers. Wonder if it's worth using some kind of protector spray or similar on it? I have a "soft shell" spray (Nikwax) or maybe something designed for tents?

Horrible, horrible weather here and we are all with colds. COME ON SPRING!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Lol Very funny I found the pictures on here. I'm glad our members have a sense of humour. :lol: :lol:

When you put it down wet, it (the canvas) will be in direct contact with the mattress and make it wet-ish. The evaporation will make evrything nearby a little damp, anyway.
It won't matter for a day or two or even longer but in overall damp weather you'll risk the possibility of one of the fungus/mildew sort of things developing.
So at the earliest opportunity put the roof back up, the bed down and the heater on to dry things off.
If you're really paranoid, pull the mattress out and prop it up in the body of the van with the heater on.
Slightly unzippin the three windows will get a draught through too I guess but we never have done come to think of it.

Good luck and sorry for not making it to the party ;)

We were just having this conversation last night whilst discussing the various toppers/vanoracks etc

Another box ticked!

Like this thread, not only because it made us both laugh, it is helpful too!

Back