Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

how do I remove multiflex and restricted sliding movement

S

swisspace

VIP Member
I am still waiting for the beach's manual to arrive but have been playing with the roof and seats etc.. in preparation for a shake down camping trip next weekend. Have removed the two extra seats and now left with 3 seat bench and multiflex board.

We have positioned the bench where it will stay most of the time about middle point of rails and ideally I would like to slide the multiflex board up to it, but it seems to catch when sliding after around 6" or so from the rear. Is it supposed to slide all along the runners and am I doing something wrong or if its not supposed to slide all the way to the front, how do you get it in and out.

I can probably get the Engel fridge or dog box in with it where it is but then I would have to load suitcases and bags over the board which is not ideal.

Re: how do I remove multiflex and restricted sliding movemen

Hi
It should slide up and down freely. Need to make sure is level as you push and push from low down. I assume you ha undone the locking nut thingies??

You can also drop the back half of the board to slide further and lift the front half....

Dale

Watch out if you lift it via the rear most (towards the tailgate) part as it is designed to flip up. When it comes back down it can whack you on the head/hands if you're not careful. The multiflex board has a multitude of ways to hurt you if you're not careful when you handle it. Mine slides all the way up the rails but it's not overly smooth probably because of the amount of sand and other cack laying in the rail tracks. I need to get a thin vac nozzle adapter from somewhere that'll fit between the rail's rubber covers.

Thanks for the info, Mine slides freely (for about 6 inches) and then it seems to catch and won't move any more forwards, even got my wife to try as well. You can see the "bolts" moving as if they have hit a solid obstruction.

so to remove and fit them do you first have to remove the bench seat in which case it must have come from the front to the back, so it surely must slide to the front again. Wish I had an endoscope camera to see whats happening.

IanW

I don't think you have to remove the bench to take it out. I've never done it though. I think you just slide it forward so have enough room to turn it as it's tight at the back. Just thinking as you don't have the manual yet if you have loosened the fixing nuts fully.....you undo them, then push in and rotate 90 deg and they sort of spring up?

If you want to slide the multiplex board up to the bench seat, undo the fastenings as in the previous post until they pop up and are loose. I then give the multiflex a slight lift and guide it forward over the point where it can catch. You can then push it up to the rear bench and lock the fastenings back in place. If you want you can then lift up the flap on the multiflex board ( back section) and you will see a hook, which you can secure against the back of the headrest. It gives you more room to load baggage ect.
Hope these helps. :smile

The board will just lift out. When I remove it completely I slide the seats most/all the way forward (I'm usually taking it out to give max boot space so the seats need to be forward anyway). Then I can lift it high out of the tracks above the height of the plastic trim that the jack/first-aid kit sits in and turn it through 90 degrees. Then I position it at the lip of the tailgate and can climb out and lift it out. A piece of old carpet helps to protect the floor from the locking piece that goes in the rails (and vice versa).

HTH

Matt

dalzios said:
Just thinking as you don't have the manual yet if you have loosened the fixing nuts fully.....you undo them, then push in and rotate 90 deg and they sort of spring up?

That was the missing information :D , I had another try tonight and while trying on one side I noticed the other side pop up and then realised you have to twist the silver piece 90 degrees under the black knob and hey presto it works. Thanks for the info though and the tips on how to remove it

Its possible.

Heres a simple video for it.
in german. but self explanatory.

Back