Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multiflex Board - Standard?

Blakey

Blakey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi gang,

We've just been to see a Beach. It had a multiflex board in the back - which was big, bulky and a lot harder to get in and out of the back than the metal grid frame that went in the back of our old SE.

Is the multiflex board standard ion the Beach, or can you get the same rear shelf as the SE?

Cheers
Blakey

And, if you didn't have the multiflex board in the back, can you still lay the seats down to make the downstairs bed?

Thanks
Blakey

Blakey said:
Hi gang,

We've just been to see a Beach. It had a multiflex board in the back - which was big, bulky and a lot harder to get in and out of the back than the metal grid frame that went in the back of our old SE.

Is the multiflex board standard ion the Beach, or can you get the same rear shelf as the SE?

Cheers
Blakey

I thought that they were interchangeable, i was going to buy the metal grid until i found out the price about £300. The board is part of the bed !!

John :headbang

Hi John,

So are you saying that you need one or the other for the bed, but that either will do - and we could get him to change it over to the SE version?

Its a 3 seat rear bench if that matters...

Cheers
Blakey

An SE board won't be a straight swap for a 3 seater (or 2 seater for that matter) multiplex board. Firstly it won't be wide enough as the bed in Beaches is full width of the van and on an SE is 2/3 as there is the wardrobe to the nearside. On an SE the board will be supported on one side by the wardrobe and on the other a clip on the side moulding. The Beach can't do this so the multiplex board has its own legs.
The 2 and 3 seater Beach boards are very different, 3 seater one is higher and folds in half to allow the rear seat to be slid back more. 2 seater is essentially a platform on legs. They are both heavy but with practice can be removed relatively easily assuming your strong enough. The design could have been executed much better with a bit of thought on VW's part though.
Hope this helps

Thanks Owen. Having owned an SE that all makes sense.

I guess that means the MFB is standard on all beaches.

Cheers
Blakey

johntowers46 said:
Blakey said:
Thanks Owen. Having owned an SE that all makes sense.

I guess that means the MFB is standard on all beaches.

Cheers
Blakey

Sorry if i misled you

John

Not at all. English is a really imprecise language and forums are not always the best places to ask things! :)

I have just replaced the Multiplex board with a hinged one, it allows easy access in to the storage area and makes removal a doddle.
I have put the original one in storage and can refit it when I sell the van.

It was made from MDF at our "Men's Shed".

We can make these to order if anyone is interested.

The cost is £55.00 plus delivery and comes unpainted, or collection from Maidstone.

2.jpg

3.jpg

View attachment 23558

1.jpg

View attachment 23559

View attachment 23560

Good work fellas & excellent description from @owen_h

No reason anyone would make a study of it really, but there's a big difference in height between the 2 & 3 seat Beach seats / bed / multiflex board with the two-seater being much lower. It's a huge wide bed with loads of headroom & feeling of space, with the trade-off naturally being you can't get so much under it.

I've not had need to remove my multiflex yet, and whilst it looks very easy to take out it's a non-starter to use the downstairs bed without it. If you only ever sleep upstairs there's considerable scope for creativity!

...or collection from Maidstone.

Ha, I'm just down the road from you in Boughton Monchelsea. My out-laws live in Coxheath.

I haven't needed a hinged board yet but its nice to know I don't have to go far to get one!
Cheers

IMG_2019.JPG IMG_2020.JPG I found out that Maxxcamp.de is offering a nice "Bed Extention" for two-seater bench, even if it's quite expensive at 1.085€ + shipping.

I have just replaced the Multiplex board with a hinged one, it allows easy access in to the storage area and makes removal a doddle.
I have put the original one in storage and can refit it when I sell the van.

It was made from MDF at our "Men's Shed".

We can make these to order if anyone is interested.

The cost is £55.00 plus delivery and comes unpainted, or collection from Maidstone.

View attachment 23556

View attachment 23557

View attachment 23558

View attachment 23555

View attachment 23559

View attachment 23560
That is a super job I have been thinking about something like this for ages, may have to speak to the boss about getting one, hopefully will be in touch.

Did any one ever find any shorter Depth support legs for the 2 seater Beach aswell as having a more flexible flexi board ideally I would like it not to be as deep so the bench would go further back to give more space in the sitting area. Plus I could live with the bed being at least 6 inches shorter without causing to much bother.

Back