Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boxes for under multiflex board

zeratul

zeratul

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
I've finally found the perfect boxes for a 3-seater beach
I've order from Auer Packaging (auer-packaging.nl,.be,.de,.co.uk,.fr, ...) the following:
Euro containers closed surface
4x 60 x 40 x 22 cm
4x 40 x 30 x 22 cm

They are stackable without lid hence accessible from inside by lifting multiflex board (Thank you cleve!). They are very strong and solid, look durable.
They all squeeze in perfectly together. I might just travel with 4+2 because then the 3 seat bench can be stored more backward.

Some pictures:
20151218_194251.jpg

20151218_194259.jpg

20151218_194340.jpg

I spent quite some time finding the perfect dimensions and I think I've finally found it..

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
I've order from Auer Packaging (auer-packaging.nl,.be,.de,.co.uk,.fr, ...) the following:
4x 60 x 40 x 22 cm
4x 40 x 30 x 22 cm

They are stackable without lid hence accessible from inside by lifting multiflex board (Thank you cleve!). They are very strong and solid, look durable.
They all squeeze in perfectly together. I might just travel with 4+2 because then the 3 seat bench can be stored more backward.

Some pictures:
20151218_194251.jpg

20151218_194259.jpg

20151218_194340.jpg

I spent quite some time finding the perfect dimensions and I think I've finally found it..
Looks good. Can you get them out easily or are they wedged in?

I found the boxes quite heavy when full up to slide in and out so still waiting for my husband to make a shelf under the multiflex so the bottom boxes can slide out & leave top boxes in place.

If packing clothing in them, a tip is to pack clothes folded on their side so you can see what you've got & access items easily without having to rummage at the bottom of a box.

I might try a couple of smaller boxes in the gap thanks :)

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
4x 60 x 40 x 22 cm
4x 40 x 30 x 22 cm

Some pictures:
20151218_194251.jpg

20151218_194259.jpg

20151218_194340.jpg

what goes behind the two larger boxes - is there a reason for the gap

zeratul

zeratul

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Looks good. Can you get them out easily or are they wedged in?

I found the boxes quite heavy when full up to slide in and out so still waiting for my husband to make a shelf under the multiflex so the bottom boxes can slide out & leave top boxes in place.

If packing clothing in them, a tip is to pack clothes folded on their side so you can see what you've got & access items easily without having to rummage at the bottom of a box.

I might try a couple of smaller boxes in the gap thanks :)
I could get them in and out easily, I never thought it was too heavy even when sliding two large ones out together. They're not wedged in, the fit is perfect. A shelve could help to slide out only one, but you'd loose a little space.
I just got back from a trip to Normandia and there was a lot of wind and rain, must say I was happy to be able to access things from inside when the bed is made.
Clothes folded on their side is a great tip, thanks. We're still improving and optimizing.

zeratul

zeratul

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
what goes behind the two larger boxes - is there a reason for the gap
We have one of these foldable tables with four seats built in
BoCamp_Familytafel_alu.jpg

I was hoping it would fit in there but it's more than 80cm so it didn't. I went for the config 4xlarge and 2x small boxes on the last tip and that worked well.
We're still experimenting with the ideal trunk depth. 70cm on our last trip, the folded table behind the boxes and so it can easily be lifted in and out from inside (through the space in between the seat and the end of the multiflex board).

But also 80 or even 90cm still leaves enough room inside and would allow the 4x large + 4x small + table + a lot of room for infrequently accessed stuff. It has the additional benefit that there is more space on top of the multiflex, so it effectively adds a lot of space.

One can also go for this config, then you can have anything from 60cm trunk depth.
4x 60 x 40 x 22 cm
2x 40 x 30 x 22 cm
2x 30 x 20 x 17 cm
1x 30 x 20 x 12 cm
The last three replacing the back 2 smaller ones in my third picture above.
I might order them if not for the delivery costs.

jts46

jts46

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I have had these boxes for about 20years made by "Allibert" french company and bought from a storage company in Leeds, I did a write up on here about 4 years ago?

John

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We use an assortment of Really Useful Boxes in our Cali SE. We find them "very useful" as they also have lids. When you are cooking outside it is surprising how useful these are as a small table and work surface. As I have already mentioned somewhere else on this forum, I am going to cut out some formica/melamine covered plywood inserts to snuggly fit the resesses in the lids of these boxes. They could then be used as a food prep surface etc. The lids also keep the contents dry in the event that they get rained upon when outside the Cali. For the average bod, these boxes are also strong enough to sit on.

hewittd

hewittd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but this sliding draw system looks really nice.

Heckauszug-VW-T5.jpg

http://camperx.ch/produkt/t5-heckauszug/

I'm just concerned about how much space is lost by mounting it (eg can the same number boxes as in the photos about be fitted), anyone have more details about it?

Last edited:
zeratul

zeratul

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Looks nice but that price is ridiculous. CHF 649 (EUR 593, GBP 494) for 3 big plastic boxes on a rail.
They're not even high enough, lots of wasted space on the top.
But we could make something like this for the boxes above.
The problem I see is that if there is anything stored "behind" the boxes (compact table with seats in my case), it might fall over, and it's going to be tough to close the drawer.
When using standard boxes without drawer, you only take one column out at a time (left, middle or right) so it's less of an issue.

hewittd

hewittd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Looks nice but that price is ridiculous. CHF 649 (EUR 593, GBP 494) for 3 big plastic boxes on a rail.
They're not even high enough, lots of wasted space on the top.
But we could make something like this for the boxes above.
The problem I see is that if there is anything stored "behind" the boxes (compact table with seats in my case), it might fall over, and it's going to be tough to close the drawer.
When using standard boxes without drawer, you only take one column out at a time (left, middle or right) so it's less of an issue.

Good point about things stored behind the boxes, hadn't thought about that.

I think the 3 big plastic boxes are not included ;) I have similar boxes in the back on my van already, I've have to measure if it's possible to put smaller boxes on top of the bigger ones..but looking at the photo below from the website I think you might be right that the space is a bit wasted.

Heckauszugschublade-T5.jpg

Monica

Monica

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi
We have just discovered that our MUJI plastic wardrobe drawers fit perfectly on the Beach.
We are going to buy more and I can sent a picture once set up but they make them in 3 different heights (18cm, 24cm and 30cm). Those in the picture are 18 and 24.
On the top shelf three small ones fit great and the confortz mattress will be lying on top. Under the shelf you can fit 4 drawers. 24+24 or 18+30. We had to unscrew and remove the handle under the multiboard as they fit so tightly. There is still space on the sides and behind the drawers (55cm deep) for other stuff but the drawers are very sturdy and clip stack really neatly. I hope they will be really practical (easy access) and we are planning to put them in side the awning all stacked as a tower.

IMG_20160320_112231.jpg

IMG_20160320_112047.jpg

IMG_20160320_112015.jpg

Kano

Kano

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
4x 60 x 40 x 22 cm
4x 40 x 30 x 22 cm

Some pictures:
20151218_194251.jpg

20151218_194259.jpg

20151218_194340.jpg

Hi
Can you tell me where you purchased your boxes please?

Thanks Andy

daveyboydanger

daveyboydanger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

VW California Club