Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach as a Kombi

Stuart

Stuart

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
One thing I love about the Beach is it's flexibility. Slide the bench right forward and you have a massive space in the rear.

However it seems that the pesky multiflex board makes it a bit harder to use the rear space as you could in a Kombi. Obviously you can remove it but that doesn't seem an ideal solution.

Has anyone modified or made a replacement multiflex which isn't so big and rigid? Something collapsible would be ideal. I don't have my Beach yet so can't contribute any ideas but I'm keen to try when it arrives.

the 3 seat flexi is actually flexible - bends in two places. the two seat not as flexible.

no problem getting it out if you need extra space

I didn't want to reveal my specific use case as it might turn this in to a bike rack discussion ... but my hope is to chuck a couple of bikes in the back secured in some way to the side of the van. The multiflex looks like it would make this impossible.

Agree there’s not much multi or flexible about the 2 seater board. It’s not answering your original question about modifying the board but for road bikes I find leaving the board in place and putting a bike on top of it widthwise &front wheel off works quite well. Get some sort of mattress protector to keep it all clean. The bench seat will need to be moved forward a little bit but still leaves the living area generally free and usable for getting changed, making post ride refreshments etc.

The other option that I have done a few times to hide the fact there is a bike in the back is to slide the seat right forward and put the bike underneath the multiflex board. Again the front wheel needs to come off and the bars turned sideways but there is just enough height to get the bike in. (this method doesn’t work if you have mudguards fitted or a tri bike with long bar extensions).

With the front wheel off the bikes will fit into the living space across the van - i often slip my mountain bike in and tie it down with a bungee - road bikes easier still

The multilflex board seems very easy to remove, but ut can be pushed forwared facing up to the bench so it takes very little space. Look here:

Thank you!! For some reason I hadn't even considered pushing it all the way forward like that. I reckon that will be perfect :)

Its a very nice blog to look at while waiting for the Beach to arrive :)

2seater board is indeed a pain.
adding a modified ikea alex box right now and in order for it to sit perfectly behind the left seat I can't unfold the bed. Need that board like 3cm shorter :/
I might end up simply ordering some used proper multiflex board. Anyway planned to extend a sleeping bed from the seats into front with boxes allowing to leave the cargo in the boot.

2seater board is indeed a pain.
adding a modified ikea alex box right now and in order for it to sit perfectly behind the left seat I can't unfold the bed. Need that board like 3cm shorter :/
I might end up simply ordering some used proper multiflex board. Anyway planned to extend a sleeping bed from the seats into front with boxes allowing to leave the cargo in the boot.
I dont' understand because in my case, also IKEA Alex, I have about 37cm spare room with alex in place, multiflex fully up and bed made. That distance is between bed and alex.

EDIT: Ah... you have a 2-seater beach.. sorry!!

Back