Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France campsites

Oggie

Oggie

VIP Member
Hi,

I was thinking of heading to France this summer in the van. Just been checking out Caravan Club sites and they range from £30 to £40 per night. Is that what it costs ? Are there any cheaper ways of doing it? Thinking of West coast around Bordeaux area?

Cheers,

Rob

Free Camping as and when you feel like it.......and use a campsite when you feel the need......

You could look into ACSI discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oggie
Take a look at some of the municipal campsites, I've stopped on these when there wasn't a suitable ACSI site. They can sometimes be cheaper than the ACSI rate. Not sure where Caravan Club get their prices, most sites in France are cheaper than UK and hence good value. The dearer ones will have all facilities i.e. swimming pools, restaurants, bars etc.

Try
www.camping-municipal.org

Hubert

Stu said:
You could look into ACSI discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Please what is ACSI and what does it stand for?

ACSI is a dutch Organisation which produces campsite guides , they have inspectors who travel around checking site facilities etc before accepting them. They cover the whole of Europe They also come to arrangements with sites to help fill their vacant pitches in low season (upto July and after August) by offering fixed rates per night 12, 14 & 16 euros per night but you have to buy their book which will have a card enabling you to get the discounted rates at the sites.
Worth every penny if you're planning to go for a couple of weeks.

Hubert

Hello,
You can use too the "guide du routard" for the campsite in France : generaly good compromise between comfort and price... We are using it. It possible to find it on the web (for France, fnac.com for example).
Bye !

Oggie said:
Hi,

I was thinking of heading to France this summer in the van. Just been checking out Caravan Club sites and they range from £30 to £40 per night. Is that what it costs ? Are there any cheaper ways of doing it? Thinking of West coast around Bordeaux area?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi, I found the same problem, at the peak of the summer most of the popular sites can charge upwards of EUR 40/night. As someone has previously mentioned, the French municipal sites are a lot cheaper. I personally have not tried one yet but have booked up one in Die (Drome region) for the summer holidays at only EUR 18/night including hookup and it has a great swimming pool. Often they are next to the local public swimming pool where you normally receive free entry. Below is a great web site where you can search out the best Municipal campsites near where you want to stay.

http://www.camping-municipal.org

Best of Luck on your search.
Cheers
Mark.

We've used several municipal sites over the past couple of years. I'm sure there are duff ones but the ones we've tried have been very acceptable. For us the lack of pool and 'animateurs' is not a problem, but in any case the nearby municipal pools can often be full on leisure centres. The added advantage is that they are generally within walking distance of the town. If the town is big they may be in one of the suburbs but will then generally be on a bus route. I'm planning to seek them out more actively. Thanks for the link Mark. Chris